Arrow Video Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

James White and David Mackenzie talk about the transfer and encoding process of some Arrow titles:

http://arrowvideodeck.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/whats-transfer-like-what-print-did-they.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I'm glad to see they've become so meticulous. I watched Arrow's Dawn of the Dead last week, and while not awful, it definitely needs a new master. Perhaps it's the best they could get their hands on at the time.
Quote:
Sound is just as important to us. Just as we want to present the film's images as closely to its original theatrical release, the same goes for the audio. Our preference is to always prioritise the original audio presentation - whether it be stereo or mono - over any new remixed, or redesigned audio version. We make these newer versions available on our releases, but never at the expense of the original audio, which remains our main priority.

I wish more studios and authoring houses took this approach.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12

Watched The Fury last night.........stunning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFqplLGM2o4

Old 06-08-2015, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Since this thread was last used, Arrow Video has crossed the ocean and started releasing Blu-rays in America as well. Society comes out today in a phenomenal film transfer and deluxe limited packaging.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through November 15, 2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Arrow started releasing in the US a couple of months back actually although from what little I can tell they are more expensive in the US then in the UK.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Arrow's plan going forward is to release the same movies when possible in both the UK and US. They had a kickstarter-like campaign for their American releases and appear to have truly spent the money on many new film transfers, instead of licensing dated HD masters for the most part.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I am pretty sure Arrow's upcoming Zarzod (region B only) is the same master TT used rather then made by Arrow. Nor will it be the last master made by others Arrow will release on BD.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Sure, some of their releases are still licensed masters when necessity demands it. It appears their line of Japanese films from Nikkatsu are all licensed masters.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I love Arrow, they're the best when it comes to video compression! In doubt? Better check Caps-a-Holic.com. Their newer stuff, I'd guess late 2012 onward is when they did a QC turn around. I love the effort they put into obscure movies, new scans, high bitrates and artwork/packaging etc. A bit pricey in the states (that should change with time) but well worth it. Society's digibook feels like a mini brick

JVC DLA-RS40 w/003 lamp,DIY False-wall 125" acoustically transparent screen,Darbee Darblet,Sanyo PLV-Z2000 (gaming),7.1 DIYSoundGroup 1099 x3 LCR & Slanted Volt 6 rears x4,Onkyo TX-NR818,Emotiva LPA-1,Behringer EP4000 (x2),Sealed Stereo Integrity HT18"s (x8),Balanced MiniDSP,Cross·Spectrum UMIK-1,DIY Acoustic Treatments,PS3,Sony BDP-S590,Seiki SR4KP1 Region Free BDP,Toshiba HD-A1,Roku,Outdoor Antenna,APC H15 power conditioner,Harmony Smart Control,Rebuilding*HTPC,Leather Theater seating etc.

Last edited by saginawjuggalo; 06-20-2015 at 03:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-14-2015, 05:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Amazon UK has Arrow's Buckaroo Bonzai (1984) for July.

Other Blu-ray imports have been available but I have not seen them. There is no region A Blu-ray.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 06-22-2015, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post
I love Arrow, they're the best when it comes to video compression! In doubt? Better check Caps-a-Holic.com. Their newer stuff, I'd guess late 2012 onward is when they did a QC turn around. I love the effort they put into obscure movies, new scans, high bitrates and artwork/packaging etc. A bit pricey in the states (that should change with time) but well worth it. Society's digibook feels like a mini brick
Indeed, their compression is up there with the best
Old 06-24-2015, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
I am pretty sure Arrow's upcoming Zardoz (region B only) is the same master TT used rather then made by Arrow. Nor will it be the last master made by others Arrow will release on BD.
According to TT the master for Zardoz was provided by 20th Century Fox, IIRC.

Should be interesting to see whether Arrow will find a way to feature the library scene with the strings intact / attached to the ABC book (now erased by means of CGI in the new transfer)

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here