Disney Lone Ranger - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Watched this the other night, I didn't mind the film itself. The AQ and PQ were very good.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-03-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
How?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 31 Old 11-03-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

How?

What do you exactly mean by how?

Frank
post #4 of 31 Old 11-03-2013, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the BluRay hasn't released yet, so was curious as to media or service you were able to view it in....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #5 of 31 Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

It came out here in Australia last week.

Frank
post #6 of 31 Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm jealous. Dec 17 release date here. I'm sure I'll like it in any case, had it in my Netflix queue for a while now.

post #7 of 31 Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'm jealous. Dec 17 release date here. I'm sure I'll like it in any case, had it in my Netflix queue for a while now.

I was surprised by it, by the trailers I didn't think much of it but once watching it actually wasn't that bad.

Frank
post #8 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

It came out here in Australia last week.

Something is very wrong here this is happening more and more often now, you're not making me jealous, you're pissing me off! tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #9 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I was surprised by it, by the trailers I didn't think much of it but once watching it actually wasn't that bad.

I didn't bother to go see it at the theatre, but rented it the other night.. mixed feelings.
I found the first 2 hours overly drawn out and a little boring, but then the last 29 mins were absolute magic.

I couldn't say it's a "must see" but I wouldn't recommend against watching it either.. I am very 'meh' about it.
post #10 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Something is very wrong here this is happening more and more often now, you're not making me jealous, you're pissing me off! tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

Here to help Morpheo smile.gif

Frank
post #11 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

Here to help Morpheo smile.gif

smile.gif

Back to the movie I have a feeling I might enjoy it despite all the bad press, the commercial failure and everything… I love westerns, Johnny Depp, Zimmer, Vebinski, I don't mind the Bruckheimer recipe… It can't be that bad can it? At least we can trust Disney has crafted another perfect Blu-ray release…
post #12 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

smile.gif

Back to the movie I have a feeling I might enjoy it despite all the bad press, the commercial failure and everything… I love westerns, Johnny Depp, Zimmer, Vebinski, I don't mind the Bruckheimer recipe… It can't be that bad can it? At least we can trust Disney has crafted another perfect Blu-ray release…

As I posted before I was surprised with this movie, I've seen it twice now and enjoyed it both times. For me it was a good blind buy.

Frank
post #13 of 31 Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD360 View Post

I didn't bother to go see it at the theatre, but rented it the other night.. mixed feelings.
I found the first 2 hours overly drawn out and a little boring, but then the last 29 mins were absolute magic.

I couldn't say it's a "must see" but I wouldn't recommend against watching it either.. I am very 'meh' about it.
A 90 minute story that was stretched 60 minutes to long.
I think having Captain Jack tongue.gif play Tonto also didn't help people fully engage in to the movie/story.

post #14 of 31 Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Watched this the other night, I didn't mind the film itself. The AQ and PQ were very good.
Have to agree with you Frank, heard it didn't do well at the theatres, but I enjoyed it, had a pirates vibe too it, can see why it would have struggled as many viewers under 35 wouldn't know the Lone Ranger
post #15 of 31 Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Assume some or most of the planned "look" made it onto the Blu-ray. Here's a link ] to an article about using the so-called bleach-bypass process to help achieve that look, and another link to a AVS thread about the film. .-- Joh
post #16 of 31 Old 11-07-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Quote:

Have to agree with you Frank, heard it didn't do well at the theatres, but I enjoyed it, had a pirates vibe too it, can see why it would have struggled as many viewers under 35 wouldn't know the Lone Ranger

Good point, but 35? Probably more like 45 smile.gif Can't remember that it was much on tv past the time I was a teen (I'm 57) but not sure. Not really related, but got me thinking about the story Jay Thomas has to tell about his Lone Ranger experience every time he's on Letterman....http://www.jaythomas.com/features/145-jay-on-david-letterman
Brandon B likes this.

post #17 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Excellent PQ and AQ! It has great moments...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #18 of 31 Old 01-22-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally saw this on a Netflix rental over the weekend. I liked it a lot, will probably buy it eventually when the price is right. I liked this take, and while I never heard the radio show, a nice change from the whitewashed tv show....

post #19 of 31 Old 01-22-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 766
This doesn't even look good enough to rent.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #20 of 31 Old 01-25-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I've been curious about this movie. Yes, I know it was panned by critics, who then scared off viewers, but the same critics panned John Carter and scared people away from seeing that too, and I thought that movie was a lot of fun. My biggest concern is that this movie is more akin to the last few Pirates movies than to the first. I liked the first, but hated the rest. My wife is adamant that she does not want to see The Lone Ranger because of the reviews. Does anyone have a take on whether this movie is closer to the fun originality of the first Pirates movie or closer to the desperately-trying-too-hard feeling of the later ones?

post #21 of 31 Old 01-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have actually watched this movie and found it to be not nearly as bad as some have reported. On the plus side this movie features beautiful cinematic western vistas along with top notch PQ and AQ. On the negative side there are a few slow segments and it is definitely bloated in the middle. All this being said it is very much worth the $1.50 + tax at the redbox and will probably end up on my shelf when it hits rock bottom price wise. So if your curious just rent it so you can judge for yourself.

post #22 of 31 Old 01-26-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was hilarious; I thought the movie was going to be a bit dumb but gave it a shot anyway. Personally, I don't like Depp but he was great in it! A very entertaining movie with action and much comedy. This was also a very good sounding movie that will certainly give your surround system a good workout.
post #23 of 31 Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Watched it last night. I agree that if you're curious about it, you might as well just check it out. It's "watchable." I found the editing to be very loose and the tone quite inconsistent. There are some rather nasty/serious things in the movie, which clash with the quirky light-hearted elements. I didn't even really care for the look of it. Seemed overly contrast-y and desaturated, which I'm sure was the intent, but not quite that pleasant to look at. I did like the overall structure of it with the kid and all - a fun way to tell the story.

By the time you get to anything approaching a rip-roaring fun adventure, you're past the two hour mark. That'd be the 10 minute action finale, which was pretty fun, but felt like too little, too late. There wasn't anything wrong with individual scenes that I recall, but they just didn't gel into anything all that compelling. At least not enough that I'd ever consider sitting through it again.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #24 of 31 Old 01-28-2014, 09:13 AM

Liked: 44
This movie should have been edited down to 90 minutes. There are parts that I liked, there are parts that dragged on forever. I almost turned it off twice, but some how made it through it. My wife didn't watch it with me, she would have hung herself.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 25
post #26 of 31 Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

One of the worst movies ever! Horrible, simply horrible!

Mark

I couldnt agree more. This was a RedBox rental, and my wife and I turned it off. One of the worst movies I have seen in a long time.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #27 of 31 Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

One of the worst movies ever! Horrible, simply horrible!

Mark

+10000000000.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #28 of 31 Old 01-31-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, no matter what, it's still the best Lone Ranger ever made! If you want to see bad, try The Legend of the Lone Ranger....or the tv show or its related movies. rolleyes.gif

post #29 of 31 Old 02-01-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post

One of the worst movies I have seen in a long time.

Perhaps you were expecting a stereotypical Captain Jack performance and were disappointed.

I found it entertaining without initial expectations or needing to critique every aspect of the film making process.

Elysium and Oblivion I found boring and derivative respectively and not at all entertaining.
post #30 of 31 Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

Perhaps you were expecting a stereotypical Captain Jack performance and were disappointed.

I found it entertaining without initial expectations or needing to critique every aspect of the film making process.

Elysium and Oblivion I found boring and derivative respectively and not at all entertaining.

No, I was expecting a Lone Ranger and Tonto performance, not some slap-stick, stupid portrayal of an American icon. I watched reruns of the Lone Ranger in the seventies as a kid and enjoyed playing with the toys as well. This movie was a total disgrace to the Lone Ranger franchise. Just my opinion, so sorry you don't agree. But to your point, I am not a big Depp fan in Pirates of the Caribbean either so I was not looking for a Captain Jack figure. I didn't like Elysium either but really liked Oblivion. I am not sure why you added those to this discussion but none the less, we agree on 1 out of 3. We can still be friends smile.gif

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
The Lone Ranger Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy