What Does "Mbps" Stand For At The Bottom Of The Blu-Ray ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When I hit the DISPLAY function on my Blu-Ray player it shows something on the data-stream which is in "Mbps."

What does that stand for ?

I noticed that for DVDs it ranges from 3-8 Mbps.

For Blu-Rays, it is usually 17-25 Mbps (though for an animated Justice League cartoons I noticed it goes as high as the mid-30's, not sure why -- higher content than film?).

Thanks for any feedback on this non-critical information request. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Mbps is megabits per second... it's the data transfer rate.

Wikipedia for Mbps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units#Megabit_per_second

Some comparison info showing the differences between DVD and Blu-Ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_vs_dvd_comparison

post #3 of 5 Old 11-20-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Walter....I should have remembered the all-powerful Wikipedia !! biggrin.gif

So the numbers I cited above....are those normal/standard for a Blu-Ray ? Can you make a "high-quality" BR and a "low-quality" BR which would have higher/lower Mbps transfer rates ?

Also, is it true that cartoons as a general rule have a higher Mbps than a film ? MOS never gets much above 25 Mbps but I recall some of the animated BR's I have went into the mid-30's.

I have a 4-year old Sony BR player so maybe that impacts the Mbps rate, not sure.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-20-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps). Blu-ray also has the potential for much higher speeds, as a result of the larger numerical aperture (NA) adopted by Blu-ray Disc."

Does this mean that the Mbps indicator should be HIGHER than what I am seeing ????
post #5 of 5 Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The second link I provided gave some details on what data rates are possible on Blu-Ray vs. DVD. I suppose what is "normal" is going to be based on the data set of discs you are working with and I personally can't give you any info on cartoons vs anything else. To get a better idea of what might be considered "normal" for certain movies check out this forum: http://www.avsforum.com/f/187/official-avs-blu-ray-disc-reviews There is usually a Mbps number given for the video and audio aspects of the disc.

As for quality... well that's going to depend on what you mean by that term. I don't think it's as simple as saying more data being transferred = better quality in all cases. As a recording medium you know what Blu-Ray is capable of by reading the links above... and you could argue that, with the same movie, a lower bit rate on one Blu-Ray is going to make for a lesser audio/video experience than a higher bit rate on another Blu-Ray. (perhaps one was a poor transfer from film or something) But from a different perspective you could put a terrible movie on Blu-Ray with higher bit rates... and that wouldn't make it any better. smile.gif I don't know of anyone rushing out to buy a copy of Ishtar on Blu-Ray to update their collection.

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page