New Fox classics bronzed and tealed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-27-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Going by caps it seems the latest Fox classic have been Bronzed and/or Tealed.
The Fly (original) is tealed, white shirts are blue and car is blue:
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_list.php?hd_multiID=1299

Dest Set is slightly bronzed & tealed, flesh highlights are blue:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/deskset.htm

Jesse James is bronzed & tealed, flesh specular are quite blue:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdreviews28/jesse_james.htm

Black Swan has strong bronzed & tealed, flesh quite bronzed and face highlights are hard blues:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews22/the_black_swan_dvd_review.htm

Considering transfers otherwise look promising this is disappointing, I am sure there will be some blaming the websites which will be proven wrong as usual or claiming it's what the films actually even though across the board blue flesh specular can only be digitally induced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-27-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not sure if this will work [didnt work].
post #3 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I'm not seeing the teal, but then again I using a crt monitor with a color profile closer to a plasma. LCD monitors skew colors with the exception of the expensive calibrated ones.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #4 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Post #2 - Nice!!!!

Strange. When I first entered the thread the links in #2 didn't show up so I posted what I thought he tried to post and when I did the links/pics in #2 showed up.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 19 Old 11-28-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My attempt to put up small images of the DVD & BD different color grading failed since the site I was getting them from did not like that. I could swipe the images and put them on a image hosting site but I guess that would be 'stealing'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Post #2 - Nice!!!!

Strange. When I first entered the thread the links in #2 didn't show up so I posted what I thought he tried to post and when I did the links/pics in #2 showed up.

I think the b&w Call of the Wild (1935) by Fox just put up on beaver looks better. Cannot spot any of the usual digital 'fixes' in the images just full film grain and nice grading.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It looks like Gary Tooze at dvdbeaver started the ball rolling when he said (about Desk Set) "The new 1080P is characterized by its very blue-teal hue. It appears to even affect the pastels (clothing) although the colors are quite tight."

Which prompted someone to send in the following:

NOTE: BK says to us in email: "I don't know when it became fashionable to overuse the term "teal" in terms of Blu-ray transfers and to apply that term as a negative, when Desk Set finally looks exactly as it should - it has no teal/blue leaning to it at all - it's just right for the first time - the middle shots are green - you can't think the film ever looked like that - and the color on this Blu-ray is a perfect replication of what this film looks like in dye transfer Technicolor - I owned a print of it and it's exactly the same. And the same goes for The Black Swan, which also replicates perfectly now what it should have always looked like." (Thanks BK!)

It's always hard for me to judge color accuracy on older color films, I have no frame of reference. Personally, I'll end up getting The Black Swan. If it's a classic swashbuckler on blu-ray, I'll own it.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Oh yeah, BK must be everyone's favorite screenshot lover, Bruce Kimmel aka haineshisway. So there you go.

LOL, Kimmel uses the same stupid "I used to own a dye transfer print of (this) movie and I know this is what it should (or shouldn't) look like" line every time he cries about screen caps or someone's dissenting opinion about a Blu-ray release. I don't care what the man's professional credentials are, he's a buffoon.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

"I used to own a dye transfer print of (this) movie and I know this is what it should (or shouldn't) look like"
Beats the heck out of "i know what this movie should look like because I own the DVD/laserdisc/VHS"...
NJPete likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL, Kimmel uses the same stupid "I used to own a dye transfer print of (this) movie and I know this is what it should (or shouldn't) look like" line every time he cries about screen caps or someone's dissenting opinion about a Blu-ray release. I don't care what the man's professional credentials are, he's a buffoon.

Man that's harsh, fair, but harsh. hehe. Oh course the fact Desk Set and Black Swan were filmed 12 years part and now have the nearly the same color treatment is not important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Beats the heck out of "i know what this movie should look like because I own the DVD/laserdisc/VHS"...

Nope, saying 'this is the latest BD so it's right' beats the heck out knowing what the film format can actually record. Still it's fun reading the same 'experts' stating both LOTR is how the film looked when it is in fact neither.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-04-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Although it's not a color film, I have to give Fox credit for doing a great job on the classic b/w film "The Ghost and Mrs Muir" blu-ray which I watched tonight.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Although it's not a color film, I have to give Fox credit for doing a great job on the classic b/w film "The Ghost and Mrs Muir" blu-ray which I watched tonight.

I am impressed with Fox's newer b&w releases, from what little I have seen. I had a chance to buy 'Three Faces of Eve' during a bogo deal but somehow I blew it.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Quote:

I am impressed with Fox's newer b&w releases, from what little I have seen. I had a chance to buy 'Three Faces of Eve' during a bogo deal but somehow I blew it.
The Three Faces of Eve received a fine film transfer for the Blu-ray. Well worth it for the film's fans.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-06-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From what I can tell the blu-ray site review questions the accuracy of Black Swan color grading mentioning brownish orange. Guess BK is going send another angry email.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-06-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I now have most of this wave of Fox Classics in my hands and should be able to offer more pointed comments very soon.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-08-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Going by caps it seems the latest Fox classic have been Bronzed and/or Tealed.

Black Swan has strong bronzed & tealed, flesh quite bronzed and face highlights are hard blues:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews22/the_black_swan_dvd_review.htm

Considering transfers otherwise look promising this is disappointing, I am sure there will be some blaming the websites which will be proven wrong as usual or claiming it's what the films actually even though across the board blue flesh specular can only be digitally induced.
I've now seen The Black Swan's transfer for an upcoming review and agree with the mysterious BK's note. This transfer's color timing hasn't been tealed at all. The Black Swan was a three-strip Technicolor film and used particularly exotic lighting on the set for its time by Leon Shamroy, to enhance certain colors. The commentary by star Maureen O'Hara even points it out, stating the look turned out quite differently than most of the other films she worked on.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

I missed this, but Robert A. Harris at hometheaterforum is not in the everything is fine camp:
"Henry King's The Black Swan, starring Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara, as photographed by the great Leon Shamroy, is but a shadow of itself.

Color? Yes. Accurate color and densities? No.

Viewable? Absolutely.

Just don't expect anything proper.

Skin tones are off, contrast blooms, shadow detail isn't."
post #17 of 19 Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll agree about the level of shadow detail in The Black Swan, there are definite issues with black levels that crush at times. I believe this BD's transfer was sourced from the 2006 restoration intended for DVD with possible color tweaks for Hi-Def.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris 
Color? Yes. Accurate color and densities? No.

That part is confusing, no one was expecting it to be in b&w.
post #19 of 19 Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Don't over think it, that's just RAH humor, "yes there's color, but it's wrong."
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page