Breaking Bad The complete series Bluray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Breaking Bad The complete series Bluray

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Breaking-Bad-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/81306/#Review

Too bad, seasons 1-4 ARE NOT REMASTERED. The video quality didn't get real high marks. So at $199 (even with the barrel), I find it overpriced. Eventually it will go down to $100. So in the meantime, I'll keep my money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 209
This set has some of the worst packaging ever, really really bad. The barrel looks nice sitting on a shelf but that's about all its good for.
The bonus disc is wedged into the top lid so tight you have to pry it out with a knife. Very disappointing over all.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This set has some of the worst packaging ever, really really bad. The barrel looks nice sitting on a shelf but that's about all its good for.
The bonus disc is wedged into the top lid so tight you have to pry it out with a knife. Very disappointing over all.

Nope, a hard plastic casing that shows up on shelves in pieces is still the king of all time.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Preordered from amazon.ca for $122 USD, should have it Tuesday.

post #5 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Liked: 15
Can't be bothered. Each individual is 11.99 at some point on Amazon.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 03:56 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Breaking-Bad-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/81306/#Review

Too bad, seasons 1-4 ARE NOT REMASTERED. The video quality didn't get real high marks. So at $199 (even with the barrel), I find it overpriced. Eventually it will go down to $100. So in the meantime, I'll keep my money.

What exactly are you talking about? I don't think they plan on remastering these. Seasons 3 and on look great from what I read. A tad darker image is somehow not remastered or am I not reading something that I should?
post #7 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

What exactly are you talking about? I don't think they plan on remastering these. Seasons 3 and on look great from what I read. A tad darker image is somehow not remastered or am I not reading something that I should?

Here you go as proof of evidence: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Breaking-Bad-The-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/9083/#Review
Season 1 got 3 out of 5 for video quality. That's not passable in this day and age of the blu ray format. I'm sorry at $199 this set is sorely overpriced.
It's cheaper to buy them each of the seasons separately or simply wait for this set to go down to $100 that includes the barrel.
By the way, Sony will find a way to milk the cow for this series as the years pass by, which means they'll likely re-master them at some point.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
HDD gave season 1 4 out of 5 in PQ and I agree, from season 2 on they rated PQ 4.5. Series looks great on Blu-ray.

post #9 of 17 Old 12-01-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

Yes, they are. Breaking Bad is getting new 4K scans from the camera negatives for Sony's whole 4K thing.
Whether that'll see a blu-ray release in the near future is another question...

I've only seen seasons 1 and 2 and agree with the people saying they look like crap, at least if the intent was to look like 35mm film. Which, being one of the last holdouts shooting 35mm for TV, I assume would be the case. Instead it's noisy and electronic.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-02-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

Good luck with that. Even IF the barrels are even available, I doubt they'll be as low as $100.00. Amazon LLC isn't selling them anymore. At least for now. It doesn't mention they'll be in stock anymore. Hmmmmm....

I have the barrel from Amazon. It's fantastic all around. From what I've seen thus far on the discs, they look very nice and sound even better. Yes, the bonus disc under the lid is difficult to get off. UGH.

Add: A couple of e-tailers have said the barrel is already out of print. Hard to believe, but who knows? It would not surprise me.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

Yes, the bonus disc under the lid is difficult to get off. UGH.

The clip that holds that disc in the lid is simply stuck on with some gooey glue, and is pretty easy to pry off.
I removed it and super-glued it into the bottom of that space instead of in the lid. Makes that disc easy to get out.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-02-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The clip that holds that disc in the lid is simply stuck on with some gooey glue, and is pretty easy to pry off.
I removed it and super-glued it into the bottom of that space instead of in the lid. Makes that disc easy to get out.

I would think it would be more difficult to get out because that area is deeper than the lid? I've had a heck of a time getting the apron thingie out due to my large fingers/hands.
I may see if that would be beneficial, thank you.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-02-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

I would think it would be more difficult to get out because that area is deeper than the lid?.

The bottom area is about an inch wider than the top. It works.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-02-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The bottom area is about an inch wider than the top. It works.

Even with my oversized hands, I may give this a shot. Again, thank you.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 PM

Liked: 0
Breaking Bad A/V Question

As a huge fan of Breaking Bad, I still am yet to purchase the complete series on Blu-ray. Here, in Sweden, the Limited Barrel Edition is available and I'm really interested in purchasing this. But I have a concern regarding the A/V quality of the Barrel edition compared to the stand-alone complete series Blu-ray collection.

Is there any difference in A/V quality of the two? Or are they completely identical? The reason for this concern is that the release dates are separate by quite a long time.

Limited Barrel Edition was released on November 26th 2013
Breaking Bad Complete series (non-limited edition) was released on Blu-ray June 3rd 2014. Since these two are released with over 7 months between them I can't help but wonder if there is any significant difference between the two.

Please help me out, and if this is posted in the wrong place of the forums, feel free to change it. Thank you so much!
post #16 of 17 Old 06-28-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There's no difference. The reason for the delay of the cheaper box set was purely marketing.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-02-2014, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Don't forget that you can already enjoy the remastered Breaking Bad seasons in native 4K on Netflix or via Sony's FMP-X1 ($4/ep) ... if you have a 4K playback device, that is. Of course, you can always stream it at 4K and scale it down on your 1080p display - it probably looks pretty damn good. I'd like to see a comparison of the scaled-down 4K Netflix stream VS the Blu-ray...

EDIT: I guess 4K streaming is ONLY available from Netflix through particular 4K TV apps. There's probably a browser hack...

Last edited by nathanddrews; 07-02-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Breaking Bad The Complete Series Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Breaking by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page