ELYSIUM Blu ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 12-08-2013, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Finally get a chance to watch this tonight, hopefully I will enjoy it.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Finally get a chance to watch this tonight, hopefully I will enjoy it.

Hi Franin smile.gif

I'm looking forward to this one as well and it and Despicable Me 2 are my final 2013 movie purchases, I'm hoping I'll enjoy it and close out a good year for movies wink.gif
post #3 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

I enjoyed Despicable Me 2, I'm just hoping I will enjoy Elysium.

Frank
post #4 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Frank, Just Finished Watching this one & thought it was A pretty Solid movie smile.gif
Although the LFE was fairly weak , could of been applied much more effectively for this type of Movie IMO but video quality was very good though..
post #5 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Report back Franin/Audiofan as I am curious to hear your thoughts. I might still blind buy this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #6 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

There's zero news of the 3D Blu-ray of Elysium release hmm

Panasonic VT60 * NAD T757 * PSB Image 7.1
post #7 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPrometheus View Post

There's zero news of the 3D Blu-ray of Elysium release hmm

There's no 3D Blu-ray release planned at the moment.

I watched the Blu-ray release late last week, first time seeing the movie. After really enjoying Blomkamp's "District 9" I was really disappointed in this movie. There's a lot of facepalm moments where things happen a bit too conveniently or characters act stupidly putting them in bad situations for no good reason, not to mention ham-fisted social commentary and headache-inducing shaky cam which appears to be most modern action director's fallback instead of decent action choreography.

While the image on the br looks excellent, I thought the audio especially in the first 20 or so minutes was at a significantly lower volume than typical recent theatrical blu-ray releases. Add to that, the main bad guy's dialog was often so incomprehensible, I wound up putting up subtitles to understand what he was saying. Speaking of dialog, what kind of accent was Jodie Foster taking a half-hearted stab at?
post #8 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 01:12 PM

Liked: 10

I saw it in 3D at the theater, I thought the 3D was decent,not great. The premise is interesting, but the plot falls into the cliche invincible hero against one-dimensional villian. But that covers almost every sci-fi action movie.

I've become a 3D addict, got Dredd, John Carter which are also mediocre films :)

Panasonic VT60 * NAD T757 * PSB Image 7.1
post #9 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPrometheus View Post

I saw it in 3D at the theater, I thought the 3D was decent,not great. The premise is interesting, but the plot falls into the cliche invincible hero against one-dimensional villian. But that covers almost every sci-fi action movie.

Are you sure you are referring to ELYSIUM? If memory serves, this was a 2D-only theatrical release and was never in 3D. So there would not be a 3D disc release.

post #10 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Please do not post links that contain pop-ups.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #11 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Report back Franin/Audiofan as I am curious to hear your thoughts. I might still blind buy this.

The movie was ok I might buy when it's cheaper. I agree with what some are saying with audio ( who knows it could be this rental disc ) the audio just drops quiet low on the beginning.
audiofan1 likes this.

Frank
post #12 of 30 Old 12-10-2013, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The movie was ok I might buy when it's cheaper. I agree with what some are saying with audio ( who knows it could be this rental disc ) the audio just drops quiet low on the beginning.

I plan on listening to this one at reference, as I've heard it has great dynamic range and perhaps a bump in the sub to flesh out the ELF wink.gif
post #13 of 30 Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Greetings,

I saw this theatrically and requested it for review. It hasn't arrived as of yet but I am still hopeful.. smile.gif

If it gets here I will do my best to post a review for those interested before it streets next week.

Regards,
audiofan1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #14 of 30 Old 12-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Frank. I am going to rent first.

post #15 of 30 Old 12-13-2013, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I watched the movie last night and agree with the audio assesment. The first part the volume is low and the lfe could of been much punchier.
On the video quality, honestly I was expecting better as it was scanned in 4K. The CGI scenes look quite impresive, but in some of the scenes it look noticeably less sharper.

Elysium might not be a cup of tea for everyone. Personally, it was ok but not something to talk about..It is mix between Oblivion, Blade Runner and other flicks...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #16 of 30 Old 12-13-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Elysium might not be a cup of tea for everyone. Personally, it was ok but not something to talk about..It is mix between Oblivion, Blade Runner and other flicks...

I agree the movie was OK, nothing to get excited about

Frank
post #17 of 30 Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
We've all seen this movie before, the haves vs the have nots, but I don't think that's necessarily its strength. One thing Blomkamp does very well is realistic action/violence, despite the futuristic style weaponry. Except for a handful of weird shaky/wobble effects and frenetic closeups applied to a few shots, Blomkamp uses a lot of wide shots and well-thought-out sets and choreography, I found the action sequences extremely satisfying.
post #18 of 30 Old 12-14-2013, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

My copy should arrive Tuesday and I will view it as soon as I can and post back. I will admit I'm a bit Sci fi junky, so yeah I did a blind buy biggrin.gif
post #19 of 30 Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Greetings,

My review copy arrived yesterday. Having seen it theatrically I am finding (watched half will finish up tonight) it seems to mimic that presentation in terms of audio/video quality. I am not having any issues with low volume or lackluster response. I hope to have my review posted tomorrow for those interested.

Regards,
audiofan1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #20 of 30 Old 12-14-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

My review copy arrived yesterday. Having seen it theatrically I am finding (watched half will finish up tonight) it seems to mimic that presentation in terms of audio/video quality. I am not having any issues with low volume or lackluster response. I hope to have my review posted tomorrow for those interested.

Regards,

I found it in the beginning when it began it the background audio seemd low, but then again it could of been my rental copy.

Frank
post #21 of 30 Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 13
I thought the LFE was weak too. I didn't feel any "Oooompf" in the action scenes. But I like the movie though.
post #22 of 30 Old 12-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Some Directors shouldn't write. This is one of them.

Thank goodness they didn't let him make the Halo movie.

buytme
post #23 of 30 Old 12-27-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

Thank goodness they didn't let him make the Halo movie.

After watching ELYSIUM, I was thinking that he should have made the Halo movie instead. I would have been more forgiving of simplistic metaphors and stupidity in a video game movie.
post #24 of 30 Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Found the picture and audio quality to be excellent.

Really enjoyed the dynamic audio that had no fatiguing limiting or clipping, aside from the intentional effects such as the shuttles, and nice depth in the low end.
I understand the sentiment that many have expressed elsewhere and here in regards to the bass seeming weak but overall I disagree with the assessments that the bass is lacking or the soundtrack levels are not loud enough.
Bass has not been mixed to be the more common 50-25hz thump nor has it been overly processed and compressed to make it louder but instead favors clarity and depth.

Finally we get a nice mix that has not been aggressively filtered or compressed yet one too many do not appreciate a clean dynamic soundtrack.

In regards to the narrative itself, I enjoyed it in the theater but had several questions and qualms about various aspects but upon a second viewing with further reflection I find it works a bit better. Still have my reservations but I think that time may be a tad kinder to it.

Best Regards
KvE

PS Anyone complaining about the soundtrack being not sufficiently loud enough just need to turn it up and enjoy.
Hopefully ones subs are capable of producing a fair amount of output below 20hz.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #25 of 30 Old 12-27-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Found the picture and audio quality to be excellent.

Really enjoyed the dynamic audio that had no fatiguing limiting or clipping, aside from the intentional effects such as the shuttles, and nice depth in the low end.
I understand the sentiment that many have expressed elsewhere and here in regards to the bass seeming weak but overall I disagree with the assessments that the bass is lacking or the soundtrack levels are not loud enough.
Bass has not been mixed to be the more common 50-25hz thump nor has it been overly processed and compressed to make it louder but instead favors clarity and depth.

Finally we get a nice mix that has not been aggressively filtered or compressed yet one too many do not appreciate a clean dynamic soundtrack.

In regards to the narrative itself, I enjoyed it in the theater but had several questions and qualms about various aspects but upon a second viewing with further reflection I find it works a bit better. Still have my reservations but I think that time may be a tad kinder to it.

Best Regards
KvE

PS Anyone complaining about the soundtrack being not sufficiently loud enough just need to turn it up and enjoy.
Hopefully ones subs are capable of producing a fair amount of output below 20hz.

I still think the weapon sounds were lacking in dynamics. Thoughts?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #26 of 30 Old 12-28-2013, 04:14 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I still think the weapon sounds were lacking in dynamics. Thoughts?

Agreed. Weapons sounded wimpy and limp. Also, while I applaud the fully extended low end, the track was actually weighted too heavily in that direction which had the mid bass slam feel lacking much of the time.

post #27 of 30 Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I reviewed the various portions with weapons fire and I understand what pokekevin and Toe are referring to, they do seem rather under mixed especially in comparison to how those type of sounds are typically handled.
Perhaps it would have been beneficial for those effects to be mixed a little louder or thicker with some midrange bass but overall I did not really mind them as is.

It is nice to have something different from the conventional choices of either really loud and crunchy with excessive compression and limiting with an unhealthy dosage of forward top end or the relatively more subdued top end with more midrange bass reinforcement. Such as with the Matrix films, I generally prefer that method of mixing versus the overpowering manner which leaves my ears ringing.

Also agree that perhaps a smidge more 25-50hz bass reinforcement would be nice, yet again I am fine with the mix as is. It is simply different than what we are more accustomed to.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #28 of 30 Old 12-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

I reviewed the various portions with weapons fire and I understand what pokekevin and Toe are referring to, they do seem rather under mixed especially in comparison to how those type of sounds are typically handled.
Perhaps it would have been beneficial for those effects to be mixed a little louder or thicker with some midrange bass but overall I did not really mind them as is.

It is nice to have something different from the conventional choices of either really loud and crunchy with excessive compression and limiting with an unhealthy dosage of forward top end or the relatively more subdued top end with more midrange bass reinforcement. Such as with the Matrix films, I generally prefer that method of mixing versus the overpowering manner which leaves my ears ringing.

Also agree that perhaps a smidge more 25-50hz bass reinforcement would be nice, yet again I am fine with the mix as is. It is simply different than what we are more accustomed to.

Best Regards
KvE

Great post and agreed. Overall, I still thought this was a great audio track as you mention and enjoyed it. Excellent PQ as well! cool.gif

post #29 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Great looking movie and some of the best sound I've heard in a film, albeit I ran my receiver 8db hotter and my subs 3db hotter. My horns are good down to 14hz, so yrmv.
post #30 of 30 Old 01-02-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Did anyone else have an issue with the subtitles during the Spanish-speaking scenes?

Despite this being a Sony release, the subtitles were showing up in the masked-portion of the screen, instead if in picture area. I tried to adjust the location with my Oppo, but at that point, they disappeared completely.

Scott

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page