21K views 272 replies 82 participants last post by  Josh Z 
#1 · (Edited)
#202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/180#post_24423006

What?

You don't have one yet?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

I know a lot of R&D has gone into glassless 3D.

I haven't really been keeping up with its current status.

If 3D isn't working out commercially, are we SURE 4K will?

No we aren't. Target has already officially stated that they will not be carrying any 4K sets. (however, they continue to carry 3D.) And there still are no BDs! At least 3D had software and other outlets to watch. ...4K has nothing but a Sony Media Player....yours for just an additional $500 - $600!!! Y'know, the CE Industry has to take the crown for the most incompetent marketing for the past 40 years. Going all the way back to laserdisc, they seem to think that if something doesn't hit mass penetration in one year, it's a failure and they pull support. If 4K fails, it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

By the way, even the one glasses-free 3D demo at CES that was mentioned as being okay...wasn't there yet. From what I understand, depth was okay (well, compared to the other glasses-free displays) but it was unable to replicate the "pop-out" "reach-out-and-touch" that 3D with glasses can often provide.

#203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/180_60#post_24423159

No we aren't. Target has already officially stated that they will not be carrying any 4K sets. (however, they continue to carry 3D.)
I'm sure they won't....until they can make money at it.

Quote:
And there still are no BDs!
IIRC, the BD Association has agreed on a format recently.

Quote:
At least 3D had software and other outlets to watch. ...
True.

Quote:
4K has nothing but a Sony Media Player....yours for just an additional $500 - $600!!!
NO WAY will I buy it.

If doesn't come to me in a disk, I will not go 4K.

The only other possible reason would be for great upconversion (if it exists).

Quote:
Y'know, the CE Industry has to take the crown for the most incompetent marketing for the past 40 years. Going all the way back to laserdisc, they seem to think that if something doesn't hit mass penetration in one year, it's a failure and they pull support. If 4K fails, it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.
I couldn't agree MORE.

The ineptitude and lack of leadership, with its backroom stabbing and competing technologies, is breath-taking.

#204 ·
Watched the movie last night on a 120" screen. Picture frames were rattling at the house with the JL sub

At the end of the movie right before Sandra walked onto the beach, the middle of the screen had some water vapor/bubbles. What was the intention of that shot? Seemed like it was viewed from a space helmet or sunglasses/lens that had water covered over it.

#205 ·
I thought the SQ was great on my 9.1 system but the PQ in some scenes in 2D looked flat and I noticed noise in several scenes. I was really disappointed in the PQ, a major let down.

Reactions: rusky_g
#206 ·
StreamTV insists that Ultra-D glasses-free 3D displays will be in US stores this year. According to several reports from CES (including our own Scott Wilkinson and a friend of mine who is also a 3D enthusiast), Ultra-D IS ready for prime time. Other glasses-free 3D tech was reviewed with less enthusiasm.

My experience with 3D has been the same since day one: if you want a demo, you have to aggressively seek it out in a store and hope they have glasses that work. Casual passersby are out of luck. Before we go writing 3D's epitaph, let's see what happens if seeing a 3D demo is as easy as seeing a 2D demo. When people don't have to expend any effort to see 3D (and don't have to wear glasses), I think the sad story may change.

By the way, Dish customers can see Gravity in 3D today if they have a compatible set top box. It's in VOD.

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/180#post_24427899

StreamTV insists that Ultra-D glasses-free 3D displays will be in US stores this year. According to several reports from CES (including our own Scott Wilkinson and a friend of mine who is also a 3D enthusiast), Ultra-D IS ready for prime time. Other glasses-free 3D tech was reviewed with less enthusiasm.

My experience with 3D has been the same since day one: if you want a demo, you have to aggressively seek it out in a store and hope they have glasses that work. Casual passersby are out of luck. Before we go writing 3D's epitaph, let's see what happens if seeing a 3D demo is as easy as seeing a 2D demo. When people don't have to expend any effort to see 3D (and don't have to wear glasses), I think the sad story may change.

By the way, Dish customers can see Gravity in 3D today if they have a compatible set top box. It's in VOD.

Ultra-D was what I was referring to and some were less impressed. In addition (and I may be wrong), it will appear on smaller (32") displays if it is seen this year at all. Also, for those considering GRAVITY via OnDemand, it is reportedly cropped.

#209 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24428025

Ultra-D was what I was referring to and some were less impressed. In addition (and I may be wrong), it will appear on smaller (32") displays if it is seen this year at all. Also, for those considering GRAVITY via OnDemand, it is reportedly cropped.

I didn't watch it via VOD. I have the Blu-ray 3D, but I saw it in the Dish guide.

I've read one so-so/slightly negative review of Ultra-D and lots of positive ones, including this one by Scott Wilkinson and others by Mark Henninger (also of AVS). They're indicating sets will be in US stores by the second quarter of 2014. The ones at CES were 55" 4K prototypes, not production models. The first sets in stores should be 55" and 50", with a rumored 31" computer monitor. 65" sets are also planned. Apparently, the technology scales well from Smartphones to wall-size flat panel displays (no projection, unfortunately). The first sets will likely be from Chinese manufacturers (Hisense, etc.), but they're in talks with Toshiba, LG and Samsung. Obviously, 3D needs a big shot in the arm. Gravity has helped. So will the Avatar sequels. Auto-stereoscopic displays (if they're as effective as Scott and others seem to think they are) might just give 3D new life.

#210 ·
Mr. Roellen still mentions some issues. I did speak to a friend who was at CES and saw the Ultra-HD set and gave it good marks for depth but thumbs-down for pop-out, which he felt was better with glasses-3D. And of course, there is the software issue. Are the studios going to begin offering 4K, 3D discs? (Especially since there still isn't even one 4K 2D disc?) As Roellen mentioned, there isn't even a standard. And how much will those cost? And how will competing technologies fare? Right now, 4K sets aren't selling like hotcakes. So I feel pretty sure that glasses-free 3D that are as good as current 3D, and affordable, and with available software...is years (maybe even a decade) away for practical purposes. And that's assuming the industry will even support it that long if they don't get immediate results. But only time will tell. Whichever way things go, I do think 3D will certainly be around for some time. (particularly if discs come with the option to be 3D ready for both glasses and non-glasses formats.)

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24429686

Mr. Roellen still mentions some issues. I did speak to a friend who was at CES and saw the Ultra-HD set and gave it good marks for depth but thumbs-down for pop-out, which he felt was better with glasses-3D. And of course, there is the software issue. Are the studios going to begin offering 4K, 3D discs? (Especially since there still isn't even one 4K 2D disc?) As Roellen mentioned, there isn't even a standard. And how much will those cost? And how will competing technologies fare? Right now, 4K sets aren't selling like hotcakes. So I feel pretty sure that glasses-free 3D that are as good as current 3D, and affordable, and with available software...is years (maybe even a decade) away for practical purposes. And that's assuming the industry will even support it that long if they don't get immediate results. But only time will tell. Whichever way things go, I do think 3D will certainly be around for some time. (particularly if discs come with the option to be 3D ready for both glasses and non-glasses formats.)

The following is all information I've gleaned from articles and videos I've seen about Ultra-D, not insider knowledge.

Ultra-D displays will all be 4K, but that has nothing to do with a native 4K 3D standard. The tech works with existing 2D and 3D signals, using the extra pixels of a 4K set to "build" a better-than-Full HD but less-than-4K 3D presentation. Presently, they're saying that Ultra-D sets will eventually carry a 10-15% premium over regular 4K sets. Since the first sets will be Chinese, there probably won't be much if any price premium over comparable size Japanese or Korean sets. (Of course, this may not apply to the very first sets that are released.) Ultra-D displays convert all content (2D or native stereoscopic 3D) into the Ultra-D format in real time. This can be done with an external box or with a Qualcomm 800 chip built into the TV. This approach avoids the problem of needing to create a new standard, with all the haggling and delays that entails.

People who've seen Ultra-D say it looks quite good. Whether it looks as good as or better than native glasses-based 3D isn't for me (or you) to say until we've seen it. It's pointless to argue about it. I expect to be able to demo Ultra-D sets before the end of the year. I may be disappointed, but if I were a betting guy, I wouldn't have a problem wagering against your notion that it will be years before we see glasses-free 3D that looks as good as what we have now. But I'm an optimist.

#213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24430195

We are almost in the 2nd quarter; has anyone heard who will be first?

Not that I've heard, but Hisense or another of the Chinese companies is a pretty solid guess. Apparently, the talks with Toshiba are further along than they are with other first tier manufacturers, but I'd be really surprised to see sets from Japan or Korean this year. But who knows?

#214 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/180#post_24422184

If you invested in 3D technology for your home, I understand your frustration.

Mark

Why would we be frustrated? All the theatrical 3D films are released in 3D BD. Plus all my TV's and PJ work in 2D perfectly well, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/180#post_24422151

3D isn't quite dead, but it's on life support and the funeral home is preparing to accept the body.

Mark

What is the purpose of statements like these? If you don't like 3D, fine. But it's getting old hearing the same death knell over and over. They keep making 3D BD's, and I keep on buying them, and enjoying them.

#216 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/180#post_24422224

No big investment...the player was less than $100. And plenty more 3D discs on the way (and OnDemand). Just dislike watching some try to kill it.

3D gives me a headache and hurts my eyes. I would love to have seen Gravity in 2D with the Dolby Atmos soundtrack, but 3D comes with the territory at the Atmos theater in my area. For that reason, if 3D were killed I would be happy.

Otherwise, I don't know why people want to kill it when it is simply an option. If anything, it would be nice to see 3D develop to the point where it is just as comfortable as it is in real life.

#218 ·
I have watched the blu two times in 3d and half way through again in 2d. While not the most earth shattering (pun?) 3d out there, this film does not give full impact seen in 2d which is why I shut it off half way through. 3d is clearly the way this one is meant to be seen.

#220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24438365

What is the purpose of statements like these? If you don't like 3D, fine. But it's getting old hearing the same death knell over and over. They keep making 3D BD's, and I keep on buying them, and enjoying them.

The purpose was to state the facts.

3D hits all-time low

2014 box office will be hurt by diminishing popularity of 3D movies

A dying format? Percentage of gross from 3D reaches new low

3D films loosing their appeal as UK ticket sales slump by a third

3D TV is dead

3D TV faces uncertain future

Why 3D TV went from CES darling to consumer reject

There are many many more stories just like those. And those are all several months to years old. The situation is even worse today. Fewer and fewer movies are being released in 3D. So, fewer and fewer Blu-rays will be released in 3D.

You're hearing the death knell over and over because it's TRUE.

Of course, you CAN continue to enjoy the 3D titles you already own. You CAN buy some of the new titles that will be released in the future. But don't, for a minute, try to believe that 3D has been a consumer success. Far from it.

Mark

#221 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24444775

3D hits all-time low

2014 box office will be hurt by diminishing popularity of 3D movies

A dying format? Percentage of gross from 3D reaches new low

3D films loosing their appeal as UK ticket sales slump by a third

3D TV is dead

3D TV faces uncertain future

Why 3D TV went from CES darling to consumer reject

There are many many more stories just like those. And those are all several months to years old. The situation is even worse today. Fewer and fewer movies are being released in 3D. So, fewer and fewer Blu-rays will be released in 3D.

Of course, you CAN continue to enjoy the 3D titles you already own. You CAN buy some of the new titles that will be released in the future. But don't, for a minute, try to believe that 3D has been a consumer success. Far from it.

Mark

#222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24444775

Mark

You made my point for me. As you stated, some of your links are "years old"!!! Guess what? 3D is still here, and I'll enjoy it for however long it is around.

I'm glad I don't stress about things beyond my control. It keeps me young.

#226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24448762

2D and superior sound, imo.

+1

I strongly prefer Gravity in 3d as you just don't get the full experience in 2d, but not at the expense of the excellent audio. 2d and 5.1 is the way I would go. Just curious, but why is the bigger 3d TV not with the superior sound setup?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.