AVS Forum banner

Gravity 2D/3D

21K views 272 replies 82 participants last post by  Josh Z 
#1 · (Edited)
#227 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24448809

+1

I strongly prefer Gravity in 3d as you just don't get the full experience in 2d, but not at the expense of the excellent audio. 2d and 5.1 is the way I would go. Just curious, but why is the bigger 3d TV not with the superior sound setup?

I bought the sound and set it up in the living room where the Samsung was already was. I bought the VT on a whim a couple months later and don't trust anyone else in the house to use it as the every day TV

The VT is my baby, I'll live with a slightly smaller TV as the main viewing device

#228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24448855

I bought the sound and set it up in the living room where the Samsung was already was. I bought the VT on a whim a couple months later and don't trust anyone else in the house to use it as the every day TV

The VT is my baby, I'll live with a slightly smaller TV as the main viewing device

Wow I certainly feel sorry for your family, not being trusted to point a remote at a tv and press on, and being denied a superior picture experience. Just when you read through a thread and see so many lol posts, and get to the last and have the biggest lol.

Lol.

#229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24453102

Wow I certainly feel sorry for your family, not being trusted to point a remote at a tv and press on, and being denied a superior picture experience. Just when you read through a thread and see so many lol posts, and get to the last and have the biggest lol.

Lol.
Plus dogs running and throwing their toys around. Crap like that. They should be happy they still have a plasma and not a bottom of the line LED

#230 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24453131

Plus dogs running and throwing their toys around. Crap like that. They should be happy they still have a plasma and not a bottom of the line LED

I don't let my dog in the HT either (and little kids in my HT make me a nervous wreck!), but more for his own comfort/protection since reference level is WAY to loud for him I would think.

#231 ·
Can anyone remember (or check) if the video playing on the main menu screen of Gravity was in 3D?

I had an odd problem where the main movie started playing without any depth info (no double image w/o glasses) even though the player was clearly sending frame packed 3D, and the display kicked into 3D mode. On the menu screen the menu text was 3D but the background video was not. After jumping to a few random chapters the 3D eventually kicked in. To diagnose the problem it would help to know if the menu screen is supposed to be 3D (the video part, not the text).

#233 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24453102

Lol.

Can you blame the individual? Somebody days ago or last week or there about said their wife felt bad for having screen burn.

There's nothing worse than a ruined experience because someone wasn't careful. Or didn't even know. Especially if they watch content with bright white logos for most of each day continuously.

#234 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/180_60#post_24470655

Can you blame the individual? Somebody days ago or last week or there about said their wife felt bad for having screen burn.

There's nothing worse than a ruined experience because someone wasn't careful. Or didn't even know. Especially if they watch content with bright white logos for most of each day continuously.
Ignorance is forgivable, a lack of tolerance is not.

#235 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24470655

My family thinks i'm being selfish and mean by not letting anyone use my stuff. They don't understand it has nothing to do with that. I want my things to last.

#237 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24471159

My family thinks i'm being selfish and mean by not letting anyone use my stuff. They don't understand it has nothing to do with that. I want my things to last.

I look at it simply. If it is something that negligence wouldn't hurt much(either them or things) they are welcome to use it on their own. My theater is too complex and expensive so I let my teenagers go in with a friend or two or their girl but not a ton of kids. One time one shook up a coke and sprayed it all over the room. Never could get it out who it was. I repainted the ceiling four times to get it look like it did. If it had been the Stewart screen !

Art

#238 ·
Gravity in 3d all the way.

Wanting to watch Gravity in 2d is like watching the Wizard of OZ in black and white.

My friend normally complains left and right when want to watch a 3d movie.

This was the 1st time she said she enjoyed it and the 3d really help make this movie better, and it just would not have had the same impact in 2d.

Movies like this are one of the crown jewels of the 3d tech.

#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem77  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/240#post_24528419

Gravity in 3d all the way.

Wanting to watch Gravity in 2d is like watching the Wizard of OZ in black and white.

Yeah but I like watching Wizard of Oz in both Black and White AND color so there.

#242 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/210#post_24453158

I don't let my dog in the HT either (and little kids in my HT make me a nervous wreck!), but more for his own comfort/protection since reference level is WAY to loud for him I would think.

I set up the viewing in my HT and no one touches anything except me. My wife only handles the remote for the audio if she's in there without me. I start up everything and shut down everything. The HT is only for movie watching, no TV.

I want my HT to last and my family understands that. The Mit 65 incher in the den is plenty enough for the grandkids and everyone else.

Reactions: Toe
#243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/240#post_24492960

I look at it simply. If it is something that negligence wouldn't hurt much(either them or things) they are welcome to use it on their own. My theater is too complex and expensive so I let my teenagers go in with a friend or two or their girl but not a ton of kids. One time one shook up a coke and sprayed it all over the room. Never could get it out who it was. I repainted the ceiling four times to get it look like it did. If it had been the Stewart screen !

Art

My theater is very complex as well (as you know). That said, Like you, I let my my teens use it. I've mellowed in age and am OK with the risks of teens in a complex, expensive space. Frankly, I got tired of arguing. However, the remote program is idiot proof and a single button press will turn on the entire system,. They can even engage the anamorphic lens and open the masks for scope films with a single button press if they see black bars, The processor is set up with max output limit so they can crank it up as far as they want without me worrying about anything blowing up. One button press shuts down the whole theater (20 commands). The only spills in the theater are mine.. Always red wine - but that's why my carpet is 'wine' colored.

#246 ·
I'm sure I'll open myself to a real scorching for this
, but I think this film's PQ and impact was doomed in it's creation. They really missed a great opportunity.

How have we become accustomed to watching images from space in our modern world? Video ... probably HD. That's because we see news or IMAX shot from space. We all know that we react differently to video and film. Film (including modern digital cinema cameras) has a "once upon a time" quality to it. Video has a sense of immediacy because of news and sports. This story needed immediacy! It needed an "OMG, this s*** is really going down right now!" feeling about it. You get that in two ways in feature production: 4K capture and rendering and/or HFR. I saw this in a state of the art Dolby Atmos theater. I was blown away by the Atmos mix, but underwhelmed by the images. We are all used to much more detail from space. As I watched this in the cinema, I couldn't help but be distracted by the lack of detail and immediacy.

That said, I bought the recent Amazon 2D/3D bundle deal. I don't even have 3D yet. But it will come. I will be watching with frame interpolation cranked up a bit to try to impart some HFR feel.

BTW, Dolby Atmos is coming home, and sooner than we might have thought.

#250 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man  /t/1510560/gravity-2d-3d/240#post_24652430

I'm sure I'll open myself to a real scorching for this
, but I think this film's PQ and impact was doomed in it's creation. They really missed a great opportunity.

How have we become accustomed to watching images from space in our modern world? Video ... probably HD. That's because we see news or IMAX shot from space. We all know that we react differently to video and film. Film (including modern digital cinema cameras) has a "once upon a time" quality to it. Video has a sense of immediacy because of news and sports. This story needed immediacy! It needed an "OMG, this s*** is really going down right now!" feeling about it. You get that in two ways in feature production: 4K capture and rendering and/or HFR. I saw this in a state of the art Dolby Atmos theater. I was blown away by the Atmos mix, but underwhelmed by the images. We are all used to much more detail from space. As I watched this in the cinema, I couldn't help but be distracted by the lack of detail and immediacy.

That said, I bought the recent Amazon 2D/3D bundle deal. I don't even have 3D yet. But it will come. I will be watching with frame interpolation cranked up a bit to try to impart some HFR feel.

BTW, Dolby Atmos is coming home, and sooner than we might have thought.

Funny you say that. For very similar reasons, Gravity is one of the few films I turn my CMD (frame interpolation) on, which does give it that immediacy, "thereness" and clarity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.