Dr. No Blu Ray: Impressions and aspect ratio question - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 06:29 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

As Art mentioned, what you're describing is called Constant Area.

Ultimately, this will come down to personal preference. You should do whatever makes you happy. However, all I'll say to this is that when CinemaScope was invented in the 1950s, the intention was to project a movie at the same height but twice as wide as Academy Ratio movies like Casablanca or The Day the Earth Stood Still. The whole point of CinemaScope was to be bigger than those other films.

I see your point. I was actually thinking more in terms of best ways to make use of available wall space. If you're buildin from scratch though, then I suppose you could design a 2.35 CIH screen to fill the full width and height of the room.

While we're on the subject, what's the general preference for wider than 2.35 ratio films in a 2.35 CIH setup... cropping or letterboxing?

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

I see your point. I was actually thinking more in terms of best ways to make use of available wall space. If you're buildin from scratch though, then I suppose you could design a 2.35 CIH screen to fill the full width and height of the room.

What's more important to you, your wall or the movie?
Quote:
While we're on the subject, what's the general preference for wider than 2.35 ratio films in a 2.35 CIH setup... cropping or letterboxing?

This will vary from person to person. I'm not bothered by a small amount of letterboxing on the scope screen. Other people prefer to crop from the sides. A select few hardcore types will install 2.76:1 or wider screens just so that the one or two movies they have with that ratio are displayed perfectly and everything else is pillarboxed.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #33 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Constant Area for me:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/home-cinema-number-four-the-build-diary.1760713/

I wouldn't go back to a 16:9 screen, and I know plenty of people with CIH set ups which they love, but who admit to being drawn to watching more 'scope films as they fill the screen.

Like many of us, if I'd gone for a 'scope screen, my 16:9/1.85:1/1.37:1 films would be smaller than on this screen, because the screen fills the width of the room already.

Steve W
VideoGrabber likes this.
post #34 of 37 Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I suppose those of you with constant height setups better hope that the vertical cinema movement never catches on:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/18/5420662/if-portrait-video-is-wrong-these-artists-dont-want-to-be-right

Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...
post #35 of 37 Old 02-20-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

I suppose those of you with constant height setups better hope that the vertical cinema movement never catches on:

I feel confident that this will never be a concern.

Even if it did catch on (it won't), we'll still have six decades of existing movies on our side.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #36 of 37 Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's more important to you, your wall or the movie?

I'm fond of both, but point taken. :)

Quote:

This will vary from person to person. I'm not bothered by a small amount of letterboxing on the scope screen. Other people prefer to crop from the sides. A select few hardcore types will install 2.76:1 or wider screens just so that the one or two movies they have with that ratio are displayed perfectly and everything else is pillarboxed.

Thank you for clarifying this.

ADU
post #37 of 37 Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

Constant Area for me:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/home-cinema-number-four-the-build-diary.1760713/

I wouldn't go back to a 16:9 screen, and I know plenty of people with CIH set ups which they love, but who admit to being drawn to watching more 'scope films as they fill the screen.

Like many of us, if I'd gone for a 'scope screen, my 16:9/1.85:1/1.37:1 films would be smaller than on this screen, because the screen fills the width of the room already.

Steve W

Thanks for posting this, Steve. This is pretty much what I had in mind re effective use of available space.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page