Game of Thrones Season 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Game of Thrones Season Three is being released on 2/18 in time for the upcoming fourth season on HBO April 6th.
Amazon has it for $39.96, down from the initial price of $55.99.

Here's hoping for a price drop like last year's S2. I think it sold for $29.99 release week?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C8CQTJY

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
At $39.96 it works out to $4/episode which is still an absolute steal of a bargain considering the quality of the show and the outstanding technical presentation that will be on offer with the Blu-ray release.

I pre-ordered at $55.99 and considered it money well spent. The price drops are just a bonus.

post #3 of 28 Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

True. Just hoping to be able to afford it as my finances have taken a turn for the worse over the last year.
I have my priorities straight, but It'd be nice to be able to buy this as a treat for myself.

Maybe Best Buy or Target will have it on sale for sub $30.

Ðave -

post #4 of 28 Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Still too expensive in Canada. Has the show maintained the first season's story quality in S3?
post #5 of 28 Old 02-05-2014, 02:17 AM

Liked: 14
I don't understand why HBO includes the DVD version with the blu. Breaking Bad and Walking Dead don't do this. Maybe I'm weird, but I feel like every format should stand on its own. It increases the packaging size and weight for no reason. I don't want my collection to be a mixture of disc formats.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #6 of 28 Old 02-05-2014, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRoy View Post

I don't understand why HBO includes the DVD version with the blu. Breaking Bad and Walking Dead don't do this. Maybe I'm weird, but I feel like every format should stand on its own. It increases the packaging size and weight for no reason. I don't want my collection to be a mixture of disc formats.

I kind of like it because I sell the DVD copies for $10-15 a pop on ebay, so its like I'm buying the season for $20-30.

post #7 of 28 Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'm kind of ticked off that it took them so long to put this out. I haven't seen season 3 yet, and they are already leaking scenes from season 4.
J
post #8 of 28 Old 02-05-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Still too expensive in Canada. Has the show maintained the first season's story quality in S3?

I haven't read the books, but I believe it has. I have a cpl of friends that have read the novels and state that it's pretty good for an adaptation. S4 is the second half of the third book, and there are some upcoming scenes they are really looking forward to after 'The Red Wedding'.

Quote:

You're not weird. I prefer to only have the BD version. Criterion has even gotten into this with their newer releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

I kind of like it because I sell the DVD copies for $10-15 a pop on ebay, so its like I'm buying the season for $20-30.

What a great idea! I'm gonna try this on EB & CL with S2 and S2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

I'm kind of ticked off that it took them so long to put this out. I haven't seen season 3 yet, and they are already leaking scenes from season 4.
J

I hear ya, but it's the same every year for GoT and TWD. GoT is in Feb, right before the next season and TWD is typically at the end of August right before the season starts in Oct. I can't say that I blame them, since this probably increases sales, more so for GoT, since AMC runs catch-up Marathons prior to the new season/second half of season.

Ðave -

post #9 of 28 Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:

It absolutely has. Season 1 was nearly a 1:1 filmed version of the first book of the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Season 2 deviates a fair bit from the second book, particularly in the handling of the Arya and Catelyn storylines. The events at Harrenhal are much more extensive in scope and time in the book. I've not read book 3 as yet (soon), but from all review accounts Season 3 of GoT was the best so far, even eclipsing the brilliance of Season 1 in some respects.
Quote:

The DVD copy adds almost no cost to the sets, and as far as "width on a shelf" goes we are talking about a mini-slip made of cardboard that holds a couple of double-sided DVDs; it might be 1/4" in thickness. Inconsequential. How does weight even factor into it? Is there a max rating for your media shelving? I would be somewhat disappointed if they stopped doing the DVD copies, I use them as "on the go" versions or for loaners to those who I don't trust with my precious Blu-rays.

The HBO presentation of the Game of Thrones series on Blu-ray is pretty much the gold standard that all media producers should aspire to.

post #10 of 28 Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The show does deviate a bit from the books in detail, but it's still following the overall story arc. They're kind of their own different things, really (you could argue that with just about any adaptation, really). But even with the little nitpicks about story, the show has been absolutely outstanding since day one. I've got this one pre-ordered already and I'm anxiously awaiting Season Four.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-09-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
post #12 of 28 Old 02-09-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post

Target will have it for $29.99.

http://gyazo.com/ab5201ea9d957b4a219b8680a089377e.png

Thanks for the news. This makes my day smile.gif

Ðave -

post #13 of 28 Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

J

Thst'd how HBO does it. They do it the same way for BOARDWALK EMPIRE. Won't see Season 4 until Season 5 is ready to premiere. y

post #14 of 28 Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Liked: 11
It's too expensive to me... :/

But the marketing is good, enough time to repeat season 3 wink.gif
post #15 of 28 Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTrout View Post

It's too expensive to me... :/

But the marketing is good, enough time to repeat season 3 wink.gif

$30 is too expensive for you? Yikes.
Can't wait to pick this up next week getting it from Target for the bonus disc, Best Buy has the same slip covers fro the last 2 years.

post #16 of 28 Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM

Liked: 15
I spent $40 to upgrade my parents to HBO so I could watch Season 3 last year on HBOGO and I plan on buying the Blu-ray next week.

I just finished A Dance with Dragons and can't wait for Season 4. The show, for me anyway, is so much more enjoyable having read the books.
post #17 of 28 Old 02-18-2014, 05:53 AM

Liked: 23
FYI...Amazon has Season 3 for $29.99. My pre-order shipped last night at that price and I just confirmed the website is showing it at that price as well.
post #18 of 28 Old 02-18-2014, 07:27 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Sure beats their $38.99 price for buying it on their streaming version which isn't near the quality (audio or video) of Blu Ray.
post #19 of 28 Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Just picked up the Game of Thrones Season 3 BD + DVD + Digital Copy plus BD "Exclusive Bonus Disc" set at Target for $29.99.

How many more HBO seasons to get through all of the 7 books that are currently planned?
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #20 of 28 Old 02-18-2014, 01:42 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

How many more HBO seasons to get through all of the 7 books that are currently planned?
_

No one really knows.GRRM has not released any specifics as to the length or release date of book 6, much less book 7. Benioff and Weiss haven't talked about their plans for handling Books 4 and 5, but consensus rumor points to ~2 seasons to cover both books as their timelines occur in parallel.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I also picked up the Target exclusive Season 3 set - $29.99. They had plenty of copies of Season 3 - but only 2 or 3 of the Target exclusive version with the extra blu-ray disc from what I saw.
Best Buy & Fry's also have Season 3 priced at $29.99. Not sure what Walmart's in store price is.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #22 of 28 Old 02-19-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

Just picked up the Game of Thrones Season 3 BD + DVD + Digital Copy plus BD "Exclusive Bonus Disc" set at Target for $29.99.

_
AskED that Q last yr on another forum; found this today for last yr:
http://screenrant.com/game-of-thrones-final-season-3-8/

WatchED all ten S3 eps last night, 7pm - 4am, GREAT!!! Sounding good & lOOking better than ever!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #23 of 28 Old 03-18-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I just finished watching Season 2 and I have to say I am disappointed with how fragmented it was with about 10 story lines given around 10 minutes each episode. A few of the story lines could of been omitted entirely or amalgamated into a half episode without affecting the other stories or the main one. Episode 9 was great since it was more focused. Not sure if I am going to pick up Season 3...
post #24 of 28 Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You have to be in this one for the long haul. All those little tidbits will come up later.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #25 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I just finished watching Season 2 and I have to say I am disappointed with how fragmented it was with about 10 story lines given around 10 minutes each episode. A few of the story lines could of been omitted entirely or amalgamated into a half episode without affecting the other stories or the main one. Episode 9 was great since it was more focused. Not sure if I am going to pick up Season 3...

Did you watch Season 1, as well? Because Season 2 picks up where it left off and they pretty much follow the same format.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #26 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:

In this respect the filmed version very much follows the presentation from within the books, which is to show the events of a particular episode or event from the specific point of view of a single character. The "fragmented" feeling that you experienced is pretty much necessary in order capture all the facets of the story. Having read the books I can tell you that the filmed series does an ASTOUNDING job at presenting the characters, story events and even pivotal dialogue with very little deviation. Game of Thrones is very character driven and there are MANY of them. While there is action within the series it serves more as the punctuation to the story than as the main content focus.

Season 3 easily ranks up there with Season 1 in terms of story, and while there isn't a massive set piece like Blackwater Bay, the events of Episode 9 in Season 3 will leave you unsettled in a completely different way. wink.gif

post #27 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

Did you watch Season 1, as well? Because Season 2 picks up where it left off and they pretty much follow the same format.

Season 1 did not have 10, more like 5 or 4 and mostly towards the end of the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeerUK View Post

In this respect the filmed version very much follows the presentation from within the books, which is to show the events of a particular episode or event from the specific point of view of a single character. The "fragmented" feeling that you experienced is pretty much necessary in order capture all the facets of the story. Having read the books I can tell you that the filmed series does an ASTOUNDING job at presenting the characters, story events and even pivotal dialogue with very little deviation. Game of Thrones is very character driven and there are MANY of them. While there is action within the series it serves more as the punctuation to the story than as the main content focus.

Season 3 easily ranks up there with Season 1 in terms of story, and while there isn't a massive set piece like Blackwater Bay, the events of Episode 9 in Season 3 will leave you unsettled in a completely different way. wink.gif

Now following rigidly to a novel is a virtue? Both Total Recalls did not get slagged much for barely resembling the book and LOTR left out a ton of stuff and worse changed the timeline. In the supplement for Season 2 episode 9 the book author stated himself he altered the tv script for Blackwater Bay to be more compressed and left out a lot which paid off well. I am not too sure about buying an entire Season just for the episode 9 payoff.

The problem is the fragments were filler material and sometimes repeated themselves, I did not write about leaving any characters or events out.
post #28 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 09:43 PM

A lot of the "filler" scenes and minor characters and their seemingly minor actions do have a payoff later on. Thus far I haven't seen anything in the filmed version that would warrant being cut, but that's just my personal opinion. Season 3 of GoT presents the first half of the A Storm of Swords book and it's the first to leave out large portions of the written narrative and introduces some interesting derivations. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
In the book the overland exodus from Winterfell by Bran and his small group it delved in to in much more detail, and it is abbreviated appropriately in the show. Similarly from Season 2, Ayra's time spent at Harrenhal is much more extensive and she never spends any "quality time" with Tywin Lannister as was done in the series. The way the series presents her story actually makes for a better telling.

LOTR is extremely meandering, which is just an aspect of how Tolkien tells a tale. Characters like Tom Bombadil end up having no bearing on the outcome of the main story arc, and I can see why they would have chosen not to make that unnecessary detour. Sticking to the literary source certainly has much more merit for a character driven piece like the A Song of Fire and Ice series. World War Z had barely ANYTHING to do with the source book, but the movie was entertaining as a quasi-zombie apocalypse film.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page