ALL IS LOST - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"ALL IS LOST" is an excellent movie think "GRAVITY" in the Indian Ocean. Robert Redford stars as the lone actor who doesn't speak more than 10 words. I love Survivorman and this movie reminds me of the survival situations Les Stroud places himself in. Like Survivorman a catastrophic event happens that puts Redford in a fight for survival. This is life or death and like Survivorman Redford has to use all his sea worthy knowledge to survive.

The Blu-ray video is excellent with wonderful colors showing the vast depth of the ocean. With lots of detail lots of depth many shots are carefully taken showing the immense Indian Ocean and nothing more. This method of shooting adds to the suspense of the movie. Audio is very active especially the sound of the waves.

If you are looking for a more complete review Blu-ray Review and other sites post a more detailed reviews which includes much more of the story line. This is a really good movie I can only recommend the Blu-ray I don't subscribe to streaming services.

Lost.jpg 27k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lost.jpg (26.5 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 401
I hope anyone who hasn't seen the movie does not read this. You should use the *spoiler* tags to prevent this.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 PM

Liked: 12
Spoiler Alert.
Spoiler Alert.
Spoiler Alert.
post #4 of 26 Old 02-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Is this supposed to be a review of the movie? ...or the Blu-ray? ... the DVD? ... Netflix?

It's not like the movie is going to surprise people, but seriously why would you spell out the majority of the movie? Spoiler tags, dammit!
post #5 of 26 Old 02-15-2014, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
There are no spoiler rules for this forum since most of the movies have already been discussed in the Movies forum where there are spoiler rules. Besides the Movies forum, the HDTV Programming forum also has rules concerning spoilers before the TV show airs. However, there's nothing from preventing people from using spoiler tags here.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #6 of 26 Old 02-15-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

There are no spoiler rules for this forum since most of the movies have already been discussed in the Movies forum where there are spoiler rules. Besides the Movies forum, the HDTV Programming forum also has rules concerning spoilers before the TV show airs. However, there's nothing from preventing people from using spoiler tags here.

larry

Then you have to change the rules. Seriously...as a moderator you should edit the first post in this thread. I'm glad I've already seen the movie. I'd be upset if I hadn't seen it and read the spoilers.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-15-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Sent the following to the OP via PM:

IMO and others, you should edit your All Is Lost post and put most of the post inside the "Spoiler" code like below.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler Alert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-15-2014, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I am truly sorry I didn't mean to post a review that offended some of the members. The review was based on several reviews I read on different sites, Amazon, Blu-ray Review so I wasn't revealing some confidential information. I really liked the movie I love Survivorman (Les Stroud) and this movie reminded me of many survival situations he places himself in. I really enjoyed "All is Lost" and wanted other members to know even though this was not a big box office hit like "Gravity" it was a very good movie.

I apologize to those I have offended I will be more careful about posting future reviews. I have deleted what I assume was the information in my post that gave away parts of the story line.

The irony of it is I have never seen "GRAVITY" I have ordered the Blu-ray yet from reviews on various sites such as, BoxOffice Mojo, CNN and many other sites I know the whole story. With the Internet there are no spoilers.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 133
MY REVIEW:

I watched this last night and thought it was a worthy endeavor. For a film with about zero dialog, it paced pretty well. However, the ending just didn't pay off. I can't really go into details why but after the credits rolled, my wife and I got up and didn't say much about it and left the theater for bed. Usually, if the film connects, we're all over it - chatting away about it.

I will say it was a worthy rental, but I'd not watch it again.

That said, the 2.40 aspect video was very good with great cinematography. The lens they used had a very shallow depth of field with many scenes having a very small focus area - usually Redford - with all else slightly blurred out. It was a bit bothersome at times but clearly what the direct wanted. Apparently, he wanted viewers to focus on one thing at a time. Perhaps it worked, as it paced well. Another caveat, is that with the large, wide format, little effort was taken to really use the camera to pan out or otherwise show how small, and how lost he was within of the immense ocean. Colors and sharpness were all good with good, night time contrast and blacks.

The audio track was phenomenal - very immersive with many discrete effects that really gave impression that you were on the boat. The initial storm scene started off with a prodigious, thunderously powerful low end rumbling that will undoubtedly bottom out many subwoofers. So watch out!

All in all, it was good theater... but just 'good' - not great.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
All is Lost.......WOW! What is up with these ocean liner type films lately? Kon-Tiki, Captain Phillips and now All is Lost and all 3 have stellar LFE and overall audio. Numerous LFE moments in AiL and as great as the big long scene toward the end was, my favorite LFE/sound section was the Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
entire major storm sequence when he was still on his main boat
. This whole section was just pure audio nirvana! cool.gif Some of the most amazing surround work I have heard as well which just pulled it all together for this completely immersive, transparent 360 degree soundfield that pulled you right into the film. Amazing audio though and another amazing HT experience.

On a side note, while video was generally great, there was some very odd banding off and on that was a bit unfortunate. Looked great otherwise.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #11 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

All is Lost.......WOW! What is up with these ocean liner type films lately? Kon-Tiki, Captain Phillips and now All is Lost and all 3 have stellar LFE and overall audio. Numerous LFE moments in AiL and as great as the big long scene toward the end was, my favorite LFE/sound section was the Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
entire major storm sequence when he was still on his main boat
. This whole section was just pure audio nirvana! cool.gif Some of the most amazing surround work I have heard as well which just pulled it all together for this completely immersive, transparent 360 degree soundfield that pulled you right into the film. Amazing audio though and another amazing HT experience.

On a side note, while video was generally great, there was some very odd banding off and on that was a bit unfortunate. Looked great otherwise.

You are right on the banding.. I forgot about that. Looked like big, graded swirls in the big sky (and water) on occasion.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #12 of 26 Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

You are right on the banding.. I forgot about that. Looked like big, graded swirls in the big sky (and water) on occasion.

Yep, exactly what I noticed as well.

post #13 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Some really bad banding on occasion. Surprised how bad it was at times.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #14 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I loved All Is Lost and the storm scenes had amazing bass. I bought this as a blind buy and was extremely happy with the purchase.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM

Although critics scored this film highly, I'm going to have to go against the grain on this movie.

My wife and I just watched this yesterday...for me, the story was, well, just mehh

My wife hated Cast-away because of the solitude throughout the entire movie. I thought Cast-Away did a great job of conveying that solitude and drawing the viewer into the story. This movie, however, failed to get me involved in the desperation and overall emotions of the character. One thing that particularly annoyed me was Redford's reactions to each new challenge. For example, he wakes up to a 2ft gaping hole in the hull of his yacht and he's just kind of moping around for the next 15minutes. No look of fear, no panic, no sense of urgency. As the movie continues and his situation grows more urgent, his demeanor doesn't seem to change very much. I kept getting that same impression throughout the film besides the 2 or 3 times when he screams briefly out of frustration. Others will surely disagree, but I just didn't feel connected to the plot or the character.

Now, onto the A/V stuff...
As mentioned in the OP's review, I immediately noticed the color banding in both light and dark scenes without specifically looking for it. Colors seemed to fit the plot and environment...bright and washed out when Redford is under the relentless noon sun and cool hues during the night scenes.

The audio is easily the best part of this Blu-ray. Lot's of ambient and enveloping sound details. The distant wind noises and creaking hull are examples that come to mind. Even at modest listening volumes, there was powerful low end during the storm scenes. For me it was one of those movies that, on several occasions, made my room shudder. A few times the bass output startled me with subsonic vibrations against my chest.

Personally, I'm glad I rented rather than seeing it in theaters or purchasing the Blu-ray.

Help me

Media Room
Fronts and Center - Ascend Sierra-2
Surrounds - Ascend Sierra-1's
Rythmik FV-15
Onkyo TX-NR808
Panasonic 50" GT30
PS4

Other:
TST2 towers, TC2 Center, Onkyo TX-SR601, PS3
post #16 of 26 Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

This is something I noticed too but it didn't bother me.

Most people would say this is an understated performance but its actually just being realistic. "Normal" acting is really OVERacting. In real life people don't telegraph their emotions like characters do in movies. But its needed because otherwise we wouldn't know what the character is feeling and movies would be boring to watch.

If I was in this man's situation all alone in the middle of nowhere I know I certainly wouldn't be yelling and screaming. I would calmly try to think my way thru it. So for me the performance fit the movie perfectly.
I agree completely. And we also must consider the character. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
We aren't given a lot (or any) back story, but you can guess a lot from what we are shown. First off, the guy put himself alone, on a sail boat, in the middle of the Indian Ocean. There aren't many people in the world that do that. Those that do tend not to be the emotional or freak-out type. We're also shown an impressive level of preparedness and experienced decision making. The maneuver with the sea anchor to free himself of the shipping container, the reinforced patch job of the fiberglass, recognizing when it was time to fill his water bottle, the very impressive emergency kit, and the figuring out how to use a sextant all suggested years of experience. I got the feeling that this guy had seen it all. As far as I could tell, his situation was never worsened by his own error. It was just a lot of bad luck. He was ready for anything, and his level of emotion was fitting for someone ready for anything.

Video: That was the worst banding I've ever seen on bluray. I had to remind myself I wasn't watching streamed or downloaded content. How did that slip through? The cinematography was top notch.

Audio: WOW. I can't think of any other movie that has impressed me so completely. The sound effects were perfect. The balance of the score and the effects was perfect. The ELF-supported wind and wave sounds were easily the most convincing I've ever heard.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #17 of 26 Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
I always thought banding was due to the color gamut or my television's (lack of) ability to reproduce color. I see it in my ZT60 from time to time, but it was a bit worse with my PZ85U. Is this instead just a result of compression or errors in the source? Said another way, are modern TVs capable of reproducing a perfectly smooth gradient as seen in say a sunset?
post #18 of 26 Old 02-20-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

I always thought banding was due to the color gamut or my television's (lack of) ability to reproduce color. I see it in my ZT60 from time to time, but it was a bit worse with my PZ85U. Is this instead just a result of compression or errors in the source? Said another way, are modern TVs capable of reproducing a perfectly smooth gradient as seen in say a sunset?

I don't know, but I was wondering the same thing. One way or another, All is Lost generated that banding worse than anything else I've seen on blu ray. That makes me suspect that it was excessively compressed before being put on the disc. But it is possible that it's a technology limitation, and most movie makers are doing a better job of avoiding it.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Some really bad banding on occasion. Surprised how bad it was at times.

Yep, we readily noticed the banding on shots that panned from sky to sea or vice versa. Hard to believe it made it through quality control like that.

Mark

post #20 of 26 Old 02-21-2014, 12:00 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Yep, we readily noticed the banding on shots that panned from sky to sea or vice versa. Hard to believe it made it through quality control like that.

Mark

I read the Widescreen Review shortly after watching this and couldn't believe that he gave it a 5 (on the video side). I'd have knocked off a point (or two) for the contouring/banding.

--Larry
post #21 of 26 Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Newcomb View Post

I read the Widescreen Review shortly after watching this and couldn't believe that he gave it a 5 (on the video side). I'd have knocked off a point (or two) for the contouring/banding.

--Larry

Agreed. Definitely not a 5 due to the banding alone.

post #22 of 26 Old 02-22-2014, 01:40 AM

When exactly does the banding occur?
That information would be interesting so we can compare it with the UK release which is gonna be released in April.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The entire opening sequence when he's talking.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #24 of 26 Old 03-16-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
As far as I'm concerned this BD should be recalled and properly remastered for 8 bit. Horrible banding like this is not acceptable
and avoidable. Worst I have seen so far on BD. mad.gif
post #25 of 26 Old 03-16-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

As far as I'm concerned this BD should be recalled and properly remastered for 8 bit. Horrible banding like this is not acceptable
The Blu-ray was distributed by Lionsgate. Their AVC video encodes often have problems with banding. No one is manually going back and re-encoding sections with artifacts. It's a fairly common trait on more difficult visual material released by the studio. Fox and Paramount don't perform much manual tweaking either to their video encodes, but they avoid banding issues by running their average bitrates in the 35-40 Mbps range.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #26 of 26 Old 03-17-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

The Blu-ray was distributed by Lionsgate. Their AVC video encodes often have problems with banding. No one is manually going back and re-encoding sections with artifacts. It's a fairly common trait on more difficult visual material released by the studio. Fox and Paramount don't perform much manual tweaking either to their video encodes, but they avoid banding issues by running their average bitrates in the 35-40 Mbps range.
Not a bit rate problem in the first place. This kind of material needs the right amount of dither added to spread the error around and make it random, together with a high bit rate. They just took the 10 bit master or whatever was used and reduced to 8 bit without proper dither.
This is the second BD for a Chandor film that was screwed up in the BD mastering stage. "Margin Call" had a wrong black level.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page