The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Blu-ray announced - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 04-21-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Is anyone else experiencing the pop up menu problem with this title? That is: the pop up menu stays on the bottom of the screen through the whole movie and you can't get rid of it.
I have this issue and not only is the pop up menu stuck on screen, I can't fast forward or rewind on the title. I have the Oppo BDP-93 blu ray player.

I see from another forum that others have experienced it. Anyone know of solution? is it Blu-Ray player based, or a defect in the these new Blu-Rays?
Thanks.

Wow, this title has got amazingly few posts.

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 04-21-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Just watched it. I'm not a die hard Tolkien fan, so I wasn't bothered by any inconsistencies or whatnot. I found it to be very enjoyable. I use full FI mode on my projector for all my 3D since it makes it easier to resolve and it does give it that sped up look, yes, but it makes action way less nauseating. That said, I thought the 3D in this movie was fantastic - like looking through a window. FWIW, I haven't had the problem of menu popup...

post #33 of 42 Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Is anyone else experiencing the pop up menu problem with this title? That is: the pop up menu stays on the bottom of the screen through the whole movie and you can't get rid of it.
I have this issue and not only is the pop up menu stuck on screen, I can't fast forward or rewind on the title. I have the Oppo BDP-93 blu ray player.

I see from another forum that others have experienced it. Anyone know of solution? is it Blu-Ray player based, or a defect in the these new Blu-Rays?
Thanks.

Ugh, how obnoxious. Is your firmware up to date? Are you watching the regular version of the 3D version?

When does it occur, right away? Let me know and I'll check. I have the same BD player and the BD (haven't watched it yet.)

The only time I've ever had that problem (well, a similar one at least) was with the original release of Sunshine.The PiP commentary extra popped up in the corner of the screen and couldn't be disabled. It ended up having to be recalled to fix the problem.
post #34 of 42 Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just to follow up on that, I popped the 2D Blu into my BDP 93. I let it play for a couple minutes, I skipped forward a couple chapters, and i used FF and rewind. it played perfectly fine, no pop up menu issues to speak of.

I'm using the latest firmware: BDP9x-79-0910. You're probably using a firmware version that's way out of date.
post #35 of 42 Old 04-22-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
FWIW, 2D plays perfectly on the OPPO 83.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #36 of 42 Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Thanks...weird stuff. The work around has been pressing "stop" and then choosing "return to previously viewed scene," at which point the menu disappears.

Rich H

post #37 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Thanks.

I absolutely love this, have watched it 3 times since getting it. I have a Denon DVD-A1 and the 2D version plays fine for me, no issues with menu pop ups. It also plays fine on a PS3 as well. So it might be a 3D disc issue or player specific perhaps.

post #38 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I'd like to see this but really don't feel like sitting through the first one after what I'd read about it. Can I jump into this and pretty much get the jist of what what is going on without having seen the last film?

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #39 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I'd like to see this but really don't feel like sitting through the first one after what I'd read about it. Can I jump into this and pretty much get the jist of what what is going on without having seen the last film?
Yeah, I think so.
Did you read the book?

post #40 of 42 Old 04-23-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Yeah, I think so.
Did you read the book?
No, they don't look good on my HT.
Toe, Schils and lordcloud like this.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #41 of 42 Old 04-24-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

No, they don't look good on my HT.
Nice one.biggrin.gif

post #42 of 42 Old 04-26-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Anyone else notice lip sync issues in the movie? I was watching it on my ps4 which has never had issues prior.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page