• 1 Post By cinema13
  • 1 Post By WestCoastD

post #1 of 26 Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 71
A 3rd edition Blu-ray will be released on June 24th of this year. Wonder how a Blu-ray looks on a black and white movie? Here is a description of both versions:

"A comparison of the two previous DVD releases of the film shows that the 1997 release has cropped sides, whereas the 2000 release misses the top and bottom. Hopefully, a new release will bring us the full image. Of course, bootleggers have already done that, a 2006 bootleg DVD combined the MPI and Miramax images, resulting in a full picture, except for the four corners.
The Miramax release was used to make a Canadian Blu-ray in 2009, that version is also out of print now. Here's a page which compares the two DVD releases and the Blu-ray."

http://wogew.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-hard-days-night-on-blu-ray-again.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-24-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm pretty excited because supposedly the audio track will be completely remastered from the original masters.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's coming out as 1.75:1.

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of: Epson 9500 UB Projector(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player, Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC DVR-HD Cable Box; 5 Bello chairs.
post #4 of 26 Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks "Phantom' and "Inspector" for the info. Might be a great Fathers Day gift for me. hint hint..smile.gif

post #5 of 26 Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

It's coming out as 1.75:1.

Well, according to imdb, that's the intended ratio...

1.75 : 1 (intended ratio)
1.85 : 1 (restored version)
1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)

Dr No (1962) is...

1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
1.66 : 1 (intended ratio, Europe)
1.85 : 1 (intended ratio, USA)

I believe the ratio of the Blu-ray edition of Dr No is 1.66:1. It looks great.

I'm familiar with 1.66:1 and 1.85:1 being "standard" ratios depending on the year and country it was shown in. Though I'm not too familiar with 1.75:1 as being a "standard" ratio anywhere. In America, 1.75:1 would have slight black bars on the edges of the screen unless curtains were drawn a little and in Europe, 1.75:1 would have slightly spilled into the black matte. But, if 1.75:1 was the "intended ratio and released that way on Blu-ray, it will be one happy day.

"Help" (1965) on the other hand is 1.66:1.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #6 of 26 Old 04-04-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, 1.75 is the correct presentation of A Hard Day's Night. From an original 35mm print:

For more info on the history of widescreen, go here: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/widescreen-documentation

post #7 of 26 Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

Yes, 1.75 is the correct presentation of A Hard Day's Night. From an original 35mm print:

For more info on the history of widescreen, go here: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/widescreen-documentation

Actually, that film strip you show was originally posted on the HTF by Bob Furmanek, 3-D Archivist. I'm sure he regrets not putting his name across it as ownership, or however they do it.

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of: Epson 9500 UB Projector(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player, Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC DVR-HD Cable Box; 5 Bello chairs.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, that's why I also linked to his site's article about widescreen.

post #9 of 26 Old 06-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Released almost a week ago now...anybody get it and watch it yet?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #10 of 26 Old 06-30-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Fondest of Memories!

WoW! I can picture as if it were yesterday at the Beautiful Ramona Theater in Detroit (when it was safe/clean and prosperous) 13 yrs old in my Beatles Boots and screaming girls throughout the theater and the matinee's had two feature movies with entertainment/contests on stage during intermission and not a single damn commercial.

This movie was simply part of the madness that's never been matched since IMO. Likely today it may be seem kind of silly but it's what led us to where we are today. Life was so simple then and a Movie House was something not to be ever revisited again as the greatest baby sitter for our parents as it was then before multi-plexs.

Went to see Jersey Boys the other day and damn preceded by trivia, commercials that kept looping over and over for 25 minutes and then we had to sit through previews and not a single cartoon and of course the Movie screen PQ was vastly inferior to my HT though they called it digital it looked like dim washed out crap.

Excuse my memory lane chat but Hard Days Night left an imprint as Sergeant Pepper's did years later - at that time it was far more than a movie it was an event though likely makes no sense to todays youth - I'm certain there's many a young girl that were feeling excited but again a simple time that was living in constant censorship at that time - so hence the silliness because of censors controlling all movie content in the 60's and the rating system hadn't been invented yet because everything just got censored which I'm glad the censoring ended as it can destroy art and reality of life..
mr. wally likes this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; 06-30-2014 at 06:29 PM.
post #11 of 26 Old 07-01-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

For more info on the history of widescreen, go here: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/wi...-documentation

I've read the whole site. Now I understand a bit where 1.75:1 came from and why, particularly the ratio 1.66:1.

"To insure presentation in the correct ratio,reel bands on each print would have the minimum, maximum and preferred aspect ratio specified so there would be no confusion in the projection booth. In addition, respected industry publications such as Variety, Boxoffice and Exhibitor would list the correct ratio for each new release. Multiple aspect ratios were listed to insure nervous exhibitors that all films could be presented in every theatre, regardless of their screen and projection capability. The "preferred" or "optimum" ratio would always specify the films intended look."

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #12 of 26 Old 07-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post
Released almost a week ago now...anybody get it and watch it yet?
I received and watched it on release day. Looks very good to me (good detail , contrast etc). Default audio is mono which sounds fine but I preferred the DD 5.1 track.. Being a Beatles fan it was worth the purchase.
post #13 of 26 Old 07-01-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if this new release is truly a new HD transfer from the original negative? Possibly 4, 6 or 8K?

post #14 of 26 Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
Does anyone know if this new release is truly a new HD transfer from the original negative? Possibly 4, 6 or 8K?
This is taken from the book that comes with the Criterion blu-ray. "Approved by director Richard Lester, this new digital transfer was created in 4K resolution on a Scanity film scanner from the 35mm original camera negative and two 35mm fine grain master positives".
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #15 of 26 Old 07-03-2014, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post
This is taken from the book that comes with the Criterion blu-ray. "Approved by director Richard Lester, this new digital transfer was created in 4K resolution on a Scanity film scanner from the 35mm original camera negative and two 35mm fine grain master positives".

Thanks, just placed my order! The ratio 1.75:1 being it's OAR or "intended ratio" will be a super treat. With Blu-rays, I most always set my Pioneer display at "dot to dot" to include all the information. What's interesting to me is 1.75:1 is so close to 1.77:1 it should almost look to completely fill the screen, yet still be at it's correct ratio!

1.85:1 Blu-ray movies when set to "dot to dot" do look cinematic however since that's what I'm mostly used to seeing at the theatre.

With "Hard Days Night," I fully expect most people will unknowingly let their displays do the normal overscan meaning it will completely fill the 16x9 screen (1.77:1) cutting off a bit of information. Depending on the TV, 5% to 10% missing information is typical.

post #16 of 26 Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
$19.99 (less with coupon) at Barnes & Noble!
taxman48 likes this.

post #17 of 26 Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
NOW you tell me! Oh well, I'll still enjoy it. I've been waiting for a definitive copy of "Hard Day's Night" for a number of years. No matter the cost, I consider it very worth it.

post #18 of 26 Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

where do I get the coupon?

post #19 of 26 Old 07-04-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
where do I get the coupon?
If you're on their mailing list, they send out periodic coupons. I received one for an additional 15% off. I should also add that the 50%-off sale applies to ALL Criterion discs

Last edited by cinema13; 07-06-2014 at 10:53 AM.
post #20 of 26 Old 07-04-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Los Angeles Times, Calendar Interview

Here is a transcript of Thursday, July 03 2014, Los Angeles Times article, titled (quote):
"Beatles' 'A Hard Day's Night' gets fab 50th anniversary makeover
'A Hard Day's Night
'"

Given the sacrosanct aura that's developed around pretty much everything to do with the Beatles over the past half-century, it seems unbelievable that anything related to the Fab Four might have ever gone missing through the decades.

But in coming up with a 50th anniversary, 4K digital restoration of the band's beloved feature film debut "A Hard Day's Night," technicians at the Criterion Collection and Janus Films had to work around missing chunks from the first and last reels of the original negative. Producer Giles Martin, son of the Beatles' original producer, George Martin, also had to compensate for a missing stereo master of their early single "She Loves You" and use the existing monaural recording as part of a new audio mix of the film's dialogue and soundtrack.

Beatlemania strikes the U.S.. After an appearance on CBS' "The Ed Sullivan Show," the Beatles shot to fame and forever became one of the world's most well-known bands. Here's a look back at their U.S. debut.

All of which serves as a reminder that in early 1964 when Beatlemania was exploding worldwide, musical immortality seemed in doubt for the four lads from Liverpool.

"It was never my dad's intention to be digging this up after 50 years," Martin said this week. "I know it was his view that there would be more Beatles projects coming along down the line, and that some other young act would find the Beatles' spark and the same [phenomenon] would be replicated. I think that was the case really until about 15 years ago. Now the Beatles have become this cultural phenomenon and they are stamped in history, and that hasn't washed off in any way."

The younger Martin's mission in creating a surround-sound mix for a low-budget, black-and-white film that originally was presented in monaural sound in theaters around the world "wasn't to be a modernized version of 'A Hard Day's Night.'"

In fact, Martin said, "the advantage of 5.1 is that you can actually be more faithful to the mono. ... The film was in mono, and I found it weird that we would be listening to the Beatles talk and have it all come out of the center [channel], but then the band would play and the music would come out of the left and right speakers."

The restored version expands some of the sonic elements but keeps the Beatles' voices at center stage. "It makes for a more immersive environment," Martin said, also noting that for the DVD and Blu-ray home video versions released last week, viewers have the option of choosing between a fully monaural audio mix or the 5.1 surround version. The discs also include bonus features, including the documentary "Things They Said Today" and a commentary track drawn from interviews conducted by Beatles expert Martin Lewis for the 2002 DVD release of "A Hard Day's Night."

The film itself "has never looked this good in theaters," said Criterion Collection President Peter Becker, because "the prints made in 1964 were two or three generations away from the original 35mm negative."

"When you're working on the Beatles, it's really a double-edged sword," said Lee Kline, who headed Criterion's film restoration team that located the best existing sections of the missing original negative to use for the restoration. "You're working with things so many people are excited about, and something that's very important to people's hearts. You can't talk to Beatles fans without some of them overwhelming you with how excited they are, and you take that into consideration."

The tradition of translating popular music performers to the big screen was a spotty one before the Beatles came along, with movies often placing performers in awkward settings by directors who often had no feel for the exuberant energy of rock music.

"A Hard Day's Night" director Richard Lester and screenwriter Alun Owen avoided those pitfalls by channeling the Beatles' inherent personal charm and sense of humor into their script, and allowing John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr the opportunity to improvise many of their lines.

"In this case, the fifth Beatle was Richard Lester," Becker said, referring to the 82-year-old director who has given his approval to the new restoration. "They trusted him, from his work with Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan and the Goons, which they totally loved. The level of freedom you feel in the film, a lot of that is from some of the things Lester introduced."

Becker said his hope is that the wide release of "A Hard Day's Night" will in some way echo the shared international experience it created originally. ("A Hard Day's Night" opens Friday at select theaters around the country, including the Cinefamily in Los Angeles and the Laemmle Playhouse 7 in Pasadena, with a sneak preview Thursday night at the Cinefamily as part of the "Don't Knock the Rock" film festival.)

"There are ways to mess up a restoration," he said. "You can over-produce things, and over-process them to where they start to lose their shimmer, lose their grace, lose their energy. For this film, that would have been a complete tragedy. This is all about life and liberation and freedom. The Beatles are constantly breaking out of rooms, they are uncontainable in every way, which is how they were in life.

"Much of the humor in the film comes from people trying to get them to stay where they're supposed to be, and they're always running away to where they're not supposed to go," Becker said. "That freedom and freshness has to be there."

Twitter: @randyl ewis2
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...703-story.html
ti-triodes likes this.
post #21 of 26 Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, picked mine up last night for $20 after I pre ordered Transformers 4 at BB..

post #22 of 26 Old 07-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
And if you are a B&N member additional 10% off.
post #23 of 26 Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Liked: 15
A couple of things.
I watched the new version a few weeks ago in 5.1.
And it sounded very good.
The other day I watched the movie at my local Cinemark Theater. It looked and sounded incredible . But the theater did not use the surround mix,but the stereo mix.
I watched it at home again today,in the stereo mix. And after comparing the stereo and 5.1 mixes, I think the stereo mix is the way to go. While the 5.1 mix sounds very good,the stereo has more depth,with a richer,fuller sound. Plus the stereo sounds better when the dialogue folds into mono.
In the supplements section,the Mark Lewisohn chapter has a disc defect when you select it. It plays,then begins to stutter and the picture and sound jump around. I found by pressing my rewind button to the start of the chapter it plays fine.
I was at Costco today ,and they are selling it for $20.
post #24 of 26 Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAVID View Post
I watched it at home again today,in the stereo mix. And after comparing the stereo and 5.1 mixes, I think the stereo mix is the way to go. While the 5.1 mix sounds very good,the stereo has more depth,with a richer,fuller sound. Plus the stereo sounds better when the dialogue folds into mono.
That's going to depend on the playback system. With large L-R speakers and smaller center/surround speakers, the stereo mix may well be preferred. The 5.1 mix "pulls" the soundstage out into the room and uses the surround/center speakers a lot, de-emphasizing the L-R channels. I have identical speakers in all positions and find that the 2 vs 5.1 comparison is less pronounced. I prefer the 5.1.
post #25 of 26 Old 07-13-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hard Days Night audio choice

Another vote for 2 channel stereo.. Great job all around with the audio and video. Brings back many memories .. Sound was fantastic with the stereo choice, with Paradigm Monitor 11's and Emotiva 200w monoblocks. Even the dog liked it..
Attachment 159145

Attachment 159153

Attachment 159161

Last edited by taxman48; 09-30-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #26 of 26 Old 07-20-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
WoW! I can picture as if it were yesterday at the Beautiful Ramona Theater in Detroit (when it was safe/clean and prosperous) 13 yrs old in my Beatles Boots and screaming girls throughout the theater and the matinee's had two feature movies with entertainment/contests on stage during intermission and not a single damn commercial.

This movie was simply part of the madness that's never been matched since IMO. Likely today it may be seem kind of silly but it's what led us to where we are today. Life was so simple then and a Movie House was something not to be ever revisited again as the greatest baby sitter for our parents as it was then before multiplexes.
My dad took myself and younger brother to a Saturday afternoon showing of A Hard Day's Night at a local theatre in Toronto in July of 1964 (50 years ago). And, yes there were girls screaming during the movie. Two years later my younger brother an I attended a Beatles concert at Maple Leaf Gardens in late August -- it was just pandemonium. This was one of the last live Beatles concerts ever -- I think their last was a few weeks later at Candle Stick Park. I still have fond memories of seeing A Hard Day's Night and the August 1966 concert. I've been a big fan for over 50 years and have original autographed photos signed by each of the Fab Four. Looking back it's hard to believe its been 50 years. When I watch A Hard day's Night now I can still remember the reaction from the audience during certain scenes in the movie. Yes, it was a simpler time.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page