AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/)
-   -   My Bloody Valentine Release Comparison (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/1524620-my-bloody-valentine-release-comparison.html)

Big C 03-27-2014 08:34 PM

Year - Disc Type - Video - Audio

2009 - BD50 - 26MBPS - DTS HD MA 5.1

2011 - BD25 - 15MBPS - DTS HD MA 7.1

I believe the 2009 release is a 3D release. I don't have a 3D TV. I don't understand the mechanics behind 3D. If 3D is putting two 1080p images together, then wouldn't the 2011 2D release be a better choice when watched on a 2D TV? If 3D doubles the image by including two 540p images, wouldn't the 2009 3D release look better when converted to play on a 2D TV?

Todd Sigmon 03-28-2014 02:15 AM

I assume you're talking about the 2009 remake since you mentioned 3D... Anyway, a blu ray 3D disc has two separate 1080p streams, one for each eye. Watching it in 2D you're only seeing one of the eye views. I could be wrong but I don't think there is a 2D only blu ray release. There is a blu ray 3D version and an anaglyph 3D version. If I were you I'd go with the latter, since you have the option of watching it in 3D on any tv or watching the 2D version. Besides, this release is dirt cheap used - shipping will cost more than the disc.

Big C 03-28-2014 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Sigmon View Post

I assume you're talking about the 2009 remake since you mentioned 3D... Anyway, a blu ray 3D disc has two separate 1080p streams, one for each eye. Watching it in 2D you're only seeing one of the eye views. I could be wrong but I don't think there is a 2D only blu ray release. There is a blu ray 3D version and an anaglyph 3D version. If I were you I'd go with the latter, since you have the option of watching it in 3D on any tv or watching the 2D version. Besides, this release is dirt cheap used - shipping will cost more than the disc.
I prefer to get my discs brand new. Here are some links to the discs I'm talking about. I thought that by showing you guys directly, it might make it easier for you to determine which is the original 1981 release, the 2009 remake, the 2D edition, and the 3D edition.

2009 Lionsgate Product Detail Page

2009 Amazon Product Detail Page

2011 Lionsgate Product Detail Page

2011 Amazon Product Detail Page

Todd Sigmon 03-28-2014 06:22 AM

Ok, so I see there is a 2D release. I'd still go for the anaglyph 3D/2D blu ray. It's $7.50 (new) at Amazon vs. $22.99 for the 2D only version. If you were looking for 1981 film, there's only one blu ray and I'm pretty sure it's out of print so grab it while you can.

Big C 03-28-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Quote:

I prefer to get my discs brand new. Here are some links to the discs I'm talking about. I thought that by showing you guys directly, it might make it easier for you to determine which is the original 1981 release, the 2009 remake, the 2D edition, and the 3D edition.

2009 Lionsgate Product Detail Page

2009 Amazon Product Detail Page

2011 Lionsgate Product Detail Page

2011 Amazon Product Detail Page
Quote:

Ok, so I see there is a 2D release. I'd still go for the anaglyph 3D/2D blu ray. It's $7.50 (new) at Amazon vs. $22.99 for the 2D only version. If you were looking for 1981 film, there's only one blu ray and I'm pretty sure it's out of print so grab it while you can.
So if a 3D release uses two 1080p streams, then wouldn't each stream on the 2009 release only be recorded at 13MBPS per stream? Is the 2011 release 2D? If not, then wouldn't I be better off with the 2009 release? If the 2011 release IS a 2D release, then being that the 2011 release was recorded at 15MBPS, wouldn't that use less compression per video stream than the 2009 release? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but based on these assumptions, if you don't have a 3D TV, wouldn't you be better off with the 2011 release?

Todd Sigmon 03-28-2014 08:44 AM

Well no, the 2009 is the anaglyph. Anaglyph 3D uses glasses with colored lenses, which are included. You don't need a 3D tv to watch it in 3D and it includes the 2D version if you prefer to watch it that way. I've seen the disc and there aren't any compression issues. I think you would be fine with it. There appears to be four different US blu ray releases, the anaglyph 3D, two with the blu ray 3D format, and the 2D. The latter is the most expensive and personally I don't see the point in paying more for less. YMMV.

Big C 03-28-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Well no, the 2009 is the anaglyph. Anaglyph 3D uses glasses with colored lenses, which are included. You don't need a 3D tv to watch it in 3D and it includes the 2D version if you prefer to watch it that way. I've seen the disc and there aren't any compression issues. I think you would be fine with it. There appears to be four different US blu ray releases, the anaglyph 3D, two with the blu ray 3D format, and the 2D. The latter is the most expensive and personally I don't see the point in paying more for less. YMMV.
Let me get this straight. The 2009 release I linked to includes both the 3D version with the two 1080p streams, as well as the 2D version with a single 1080p stream. Is the 2D version on the 2009 release recorded at 15MBPS like on the 2011 release?

Big C 03-28-2014 08:10 PM

After all this, all the discs in the links I posted above are only available via Amazon 3rd parties. I've had a bad experience when buying from Amazon 3rd parties. However, there is another 2011 release available directly from Amazon. I don't know which one this is, but I decided to get this one, since it is the only one that doesn't appear to have gone out-of-print yet.