Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
not to be confused with what I think are the top 10 movies ever made.......

The top 10 "singel title" (not series) I have seen on BD/HD DVD the most, or better the single disc that I have plopped in the tray the most are (most to least) :

The Matrix (at least 20 times)
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
Spaceballs
Inception
Blade Runner (midpoint, at least 10 times)
Monsters Inc
Office Space
Dogma
Star Wars (at lest 5 times)

Gman
post #33 of 50 Old 08-01-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Bruce Springsteen in Hyde Park
The Eagles Live in Melbourne
Elton John The Million Dollar Piano
Rush
Shawshank Redemption
The entire Spartacus Series (Startz)
The Green Mile
Armageddon
The Godfather I and II
Star Wars Saga
Fast and Furious (with original cast)
post #34 of 50 Old 08-15-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Star Wars (1-6)
Bourne Trilogy
Daniel Craig Bond Films
Chronicles of Narnia (1-3)
TMNT 4 movie set
Indiana Jones
Braveheart
Predator(s)
The Prestige
Jumper
post #35 of 50 Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
She's Out of My League
Frozen (yes, this is for me - no kids)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Criterion road show version)
Ocean's 11 (1960)
The Towering Inferno
The Poseidon Adventure
Best Years of our Lives
Love Actually
The Island
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
White Christmas
post #36 of 50 Old 09-10-2014, 06:56 PM

Liked: 10
Definitely includes
Scott pilgrim
Shaun of the dead
Hot fuzz
Star Wars
Jaws
T2
Toy story
Two towers
Avengers
Raiders of the lost ark
post #37 of 50 Old 09-23-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Adventureland - totally my kind of comedy and set in 1987. Win.
Good film.

But it felt like a drama to me. I never really got why it was ever listed under comedy (I once read the marketing department forced them to list it as a pure comedy). And it looked mostly like 1982 with a bit of 1997 and a touch of modern day hipster mixed in.

(It looked more like 1982 than 1987 (other than, perhaps, for Lisa P). The guy who made it I think was too old to get the '87 vibe right. I think he had his high school and college years right before the 80s really became the 80s 80s. The popular cheeleaders wouldn't have had a clue who Lou Reed is much less been impressed by the name drop. The kids who went to top schools and Ivies and such by '87 were not longer mega-dopers like back in the 70s and they did not spend all summer smoking (of any kind). Sure a few here and there, but not like how the movie made that seem like that was the typical thing. It was mostly the burnouts who did that and not a whole lot of them made it to top schools. The two main characters looked and acted more like they were from 1978-1982 mixed with a bit of 90s grungers than they did remotely typical mid to late 80s kids. Granted they did have the lead going to Oberlin and that place was a bit more stuck in the 70s, but still. All the furnishings and records, total lack of Walkmen and CDs and Camaros and Trans-Ams and Toyotas and Hondas and so on and so forth just made it all look more super early 80s. Lisa P was the only one who seemed like she was from '87, only she was almost a touch over the top in that she wore the super, duper 80s looking outfits every single day instead of just here or there. Kristen Stewart looked straight out of 1997 (with a touch of 1980 mixed in), what with Lou Reed t-shirt, flat, straight hair, dark dingy colors, smoking. It was just weird how he seemed to try to make it seem like Lisa P and the club were the weird fringe in 1987 and that gungy hipster were the mainstream in 1987, like some modern day hipsters revisionist fantasy for the 80s or something.)
post #38 of 50 Old 09-24-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyway man hard to say watched the most either over the years or recently (not any sort of all time best or favorites necessarily, although in some cases they are, but some just happen to be easily repeatable and easy to watch; edit: to some extent I guess I am also counting VHS, DVD and TV an giving the blu-ray a weighted boost) maybe:
Star Wars Series (yes 1-3 too)
Indiana Jones Series
James Bond Series
Ferris Bueller
Dark City
Ghostbusters
Braveheart
Clueless
Home Alone (annual Christmas thing)
The Sound of Music (annual Christmas thing)
Groundhog Day
Office Space
King Kong
Big
Bringing Up Baby (edit: oops not a blu-ray though)
Back To The Future Series
Terminator Series
Alien Series
Princess Bride
Rock of Ages
Godzilla Series
Blob remake (it's turned into an annual Halloween thing, edit: oops not quite a blu-ray yet)
Shakespeare In Love
Take Me Home Tonight
Titanic
The New World

I'm sure I'm forgetting something very obvious. That's more than ten anyway.
yeah like 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, West Side Story, Jaws, Fifth Element, Jurassic Park Series.

I don't which are the top ten and which just up there (Star Wars series is probably tops).

I left TV series out, even though I've spent a lot of time on those. And left out nature documentaries and that sort of thing.

Last edited by skibum5000; 09-24-2014 at 12:28 AM.
post #39 of 50 Old 09-24-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post
Good film.

But it felt like a drama to me. I never really got why it was ever listed under comedy (I once read the marketing department forced them to list it as a pure comedy). And it looked mostly like 1982 with a bit of 1997 and a touch of modern day hipster mixed in.

(It looked more like 1982 than 1987 (other than, perhaps, for Lisa P). The guy who made it I think was too old to get the '87 vibe right. I think he had his high school and college years right before the 80s really became the 80s 80s. The popular cheeleaders wouldn't have had a clue who Lou Reed is much less been impressed by the name drop. The kids who went to top schools and Ivies and such by '87 were not longer mega-dopers like back in the 70s and they did not spend all summer smoking (of any kind). Sure a few here and there, but not like how the movie made that seem like that was the typical thing. It was mostly the burnouts who did that and not a whole lot of them made it to top schools. The two main characters looked and acted more like they were from 1978-1982 mixed with a bit of 90s grungers than they did remotely typical mid to late 80s kids. Granted they did have the lead going to Oberlin and that place was a bit more stuck in the 70s, but still. All the furnishings and records, total lack of Walkmen and CDs and Camaros and Trans-Ams and Toyotas and Hondas and so on and so forth just made it all look more super early 80s. Lisa P was the only one who seemed like she was from '87, only she was almost a touch over the top in that she wore the super, duper 80s looking outfits every single day instead of just here or there. Kristen Stewart looked straight out of 1997 (with a touch of 1980 mixed in), what with Lou Reed t-shirt, flat, straight hair, dark dingy colors, smoking. It was just weird how he seemed to try to make it seem like Lisa P and the club were the weird fringe in 1987 and that gungy hipster were the mainstream in 1987, like some modern day hipsters revisionist fantasy for the 80s or something.)

Yeah, you definitely get a sense that the director's formative (high school) years were not in this time frame. The clothing in the movie was more typical on people starting around 91/92 when Nirvana became popular and the whole grunge movement. As far as music goes I think some of it worked (whitesnake, Crowded House), but from what I recall The Cure wasn't mainstream (pretty limited to skaters) at least where I came from and I'd never even heard of any of those "bummer" songs. Overall, though, I thought it was great and I find myself going back to it more than others in my collection.

post #40 of 50 Old 09-26-2014, 12:25 PM

Liked: 10
Agree with the previous posters about Adventureland: this is exactly what made the film feel false to me. In 1987 I was 15 and the music camps were roughly along the lines I list below, none of which correspond with the listening habits of the kids in the movie (Husker Du I was a fan of because my 6 year older brother brought Warehouse Songs and Stories home 2nd hand: I was quite aware that absolutely nobody else my age had that album!):

Pop: Whitney Houston, George Michael, Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, Level 42
Adult Rock: Bruce Springsteen, U2, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac
Metal: Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth
Hardrock: Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, AC/DC
Alternative: Smiths, New Order, The Cure, R.E.M.
post #41 of 50 Old 09-26-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I only watch two BDs on weekends and I have a huge backlog of unwatched ones so I have yet to watch more then once. Now back in the old HD-DVD days....
post #42 of 50 Old 09-28-2014, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbjaw View Post
Agree with the previous posters about Adventureland: this is exactly what made the film feel false to me. In 1987 I was 15 and the music camps were roughly along the lines I list below, none of which correspond with the listening habits of the kids in the movie (Husker Du I was a fan of because my 6 year older brother brought Warehouse Songs and Stories home 2nd hand: I was quite aware that absolutely nobody else my age had that album!):

Pop: Whitney Houston, George Michael, Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, Level 42
Adult Rock: Bruce Springsteen, U2, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac
Metal: Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth
Hardrock: Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, AC/DC
Alternative: Smiths, New Order, The Cure, R.E.M.
Exactly, spot on (although I'm not sure I'd stick the adult qualifier on the rock, at least not when it came to U2/Genesis/Bruce Springsteen). But see, you and I were both in HS in 1987.

The guy who made this move was in HS, I believe more like in the late 70s to earliest 80s and graduating college just as the 80s were really turning into the 80s. I don't think he got that pop culture just totally changed starting around '83 and especially by '84.

It was a bit odd also that he chose Amadeus as the main jukebox song, yeah I guess that did chart high then, but it was kind of treated as a joke even when it was on the charts and it as one of those songs that was basically never heard from again a couple months after it's rise to fame. (at least where I grew up and from what I can recall).

It was still a cool flick, it's just that it felt wrong if you try to take it as '87. If you pretend it was set in '81 perhaps then yeah it was pretty nostalgic though (although Lisa P doesn't quite fit then, but whatever, she provided a little mid-80s nostalgia mixed in).

All of the hipster film critics who go on about how no movie ever got the mid to late 80s down more perfectly than this are just out of touch. I remember one critic tore Take Me Home Tonight to shreds for getting everything about the late 80s wrong and then recommended Adventureland as a film to watch if you wanted to see the late 80s portrayed 100% spot on in every last regard. And I was like yeah, suuuure. They were all either in HS and college in the 60s or 70s or they were far outsiders in the 80s and simply must've wished that the 80s had been all grunge/hipster/far alternative for the mainstream. And some of the stuff in the extra like where they interview Kristen Stewart and she goes on about so of course I wore all the typical things a popular teen would've worn back in the late 80s, you know like my Lou Reed t-shirt, duh of course, have to have that, and wore my hair flat and.... I'm like no, no, no, haha, could possible be showing any more strongly that you grew up post-80s , the director has you so snowed.

Again it was a cool movie and it gave you some nostalagia for the late 70s and earliest 80s at least (and even a bit of the mid-80s with Lisa P though).
post #43 of 50 Old 10-28-2014, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
So many. But, here are a few I watch often:

Inception
LOTR & Hobbit
Band of Brothers/Pacific
The Number 23
DejaVu
The Bourne Series
The Matrix
Serenity
Gladiator
Kingdom of Heaven
The Godfather
Patton
Tora, tora, tora
The Great Raid/Flyboys/Black Hawk Down
Daniel Craig Bond Series

Marcus

Our Personal Website:

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
post #44 of 50 Old 10-29-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Kingdom Of Heaven just got a new Ultimate Edition with all cuts included.
post #45 of 50 Old 11-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
My top blu rays that get the most play overall...

Tron Legacy
All the Star Wars
All 3 LOTR
Star Trek (2009)

And most everything animated ;-)

post #46 of 50 Old 11-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I see a few have kingdom of heaven on their lists. I saw it years ago but wasn't impressed. Apparently I'll have to revisit that one. Here's my list (in no particular order)

Gladiator
Inside Man
Warrior
Cinderella Man
Man On Fire
The Departed
American Gangster
Goodfellas
Body Of Lies
Crash
Inception
Seven Pounds
Shooter
The Social Network
There Will Be Blood
post #47 of 50 Old 11-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
Don't have a list of 10, but my most watched BD is Groundhog Day!

Seggers
Don't have a list of 10, but my most watched BD is Groundhog Day!

Seggers
seggers likes this.
post #48 of 50 Old 11-17-2014, 08:03 PM

Liked: 3
Favorite BRs I can do…favorite movies is too tough. Here's mine in no certain order:

The Stanley Kubrick box set:
--Lotlita
--Dr. Strange love
--2001: A Space Odyssey
--A Clockwork Orange
--Barry Lindon
--Eyes Wide Shut

Criterion's Paths of Glory
Sunset Boulevard
Criterion's The Game
Gravity
Lawrence of Arabia
post #49 of 50 Old 11-17-2014, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Kill bill's one of my favorite
post #50 of 50 Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Alien
Bladerunner
Jaws

Over the years those are probably the movies I've viewed most consistently. I do tend to watch movies repeatedly, or at least I pop into many movies and watch scenes I like, which is a major reason I own so many movies rather than rent.

There are other titles that I've watched many times, if only sections, using them as test discs for various reasons. These days
Oblivion serves that purpose quite well.
Reply Blu-ray Software