AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/)
-   -   How much better can a B/W BD be? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/1530604-how-much-better-can-b-w-bd.html)

taxman48 05-06-2014 10:46 AM

Beatles "Hard Days Night" being released on June 24th 2014. Is it worth it to by a B/W movie on BD? I read that the sound will be a big improvement in 7.1, but its still black & white..thanks in advance for comments..

CatBus 05-06-2014 11:20 AM

A black and white image can still have 1080p of detail, and lossless audio--there are several impressive B&W Blu-rays out there. Why would you expect there to be any difference between color and B&W in this regard?

I do wonder if this particular film might be too soft to get a huge visual boost from Blu-ray, though. And a 7.1 soundtrack definitely means somebody's been monkeying with the audio, so I'm dubious of that as well.

NetworkTV 05-07-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

Beatles "Hard Days Night" being released on June 24th 2014. Is it worth it to by a B/W movie on BD? I read that the sound will be a big improvement in 7.1, but its still black & white..thanks in advance for comments..
Actually, B&W has the potential to look even better than color.

The reason is, it's all image with no die layers from the film stock muddying things up. That allows for greater sharpness and higher contrast levels than you can get with color stocks. That means those old noir films from the Citizen Kane era look even more shadowy and moody than they would have in color.

Further, black and white stock holds up very well compared to later single strip color stocks when stored properly because there's no die layer to fade. Granted, 3-strip technicolor films still have the greatest wow factor due to the larger film stock and the use of 3 strips of filtered black and white stock to create a base for color.

mhafner 05-09-2014 03:19 AM

Black and White can be put on Blu Rays in full 1080p resolution. Colour movies can not, since the format on Blu Ray is 4:2:0 which means only one of 4 pixels has full colour information. All have full luminance (= black and white) information. And 3 of 4 have anyhwere between half and full colour information depending on colour saturation.

Phantom Stranger 05-09-2014 12:58 PM

Vintage black-and-white cinematography can look incredible on Blu-ray if the film elements are up to snuff. I'd even say they have an advantage over color films, since the market for B&W films over the past fifty years was smaller and the elements have been handled less than their color counterparts.

Check out the Twilight Zone BDs for an example of what pristine B&W footage can look like on BD.

ElJimador 05-12-2014 05:03 PM

B&W blurays are some of the best looking ones I own (Anatomy of a Murder and To Kill a Mockingbird especially). If the film is in good shape and given a decent restoration the results can be every bit as stunning as any color movie of the same vintage.

jpillar 05-18-2014 01:45 PM

My favorites:

The Day the Earth Stood Still
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Miracle on 34th Street
It's a Wonderful Life

Jedi2016 05-18-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

My favorites:

The Day the Earth Stood Still
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Miracle on 34th Street
It's a Wonderful Life
I see your list and raise you Seven Samurai. smile.gif

eric.exe 05-18-2014 06:03 PM

OP must have never seen Criterion's The Seventh Seal Blu-ray. The level of detail is incredible.

http://images3.static-bluray.com/reviews/1473_11_1080p.jpg <- you can almost count the number of threads in the shirt

wuther 05-19-2014 04:30 PM

Since the OP has never posted back to state the objection to b&w this thread is pointless.

ElJimador 05-19-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Since the OP has never posted back to state the objection to b&w this thread is pointless.

I suspect the OP is gone but to be fair it seemed to me he was just asking for opinions, not stating an objection. Granted it was a fairly ignorant question from the perspective of those of us who watch a lot of b&w blurays but I see no reason to assume his question wasn't genuine.

Phantom Stranger 05-20-2014 01:00 PM

I think for many, their frame of reference for black-and-white films were faded, old prints they had seen on television in days of yore. I didn't think much of b&w DVDs most of the time, the average picture quality has gotten much better for them on Blu-ray.

ambientcafe 05-27-2014 12:15 PM

Billy Wilder's 'The Apartment' (1960), shot in b&w scope, looks excellent on BD (PQ - 4.5 out of 5 on Blu-ray.com). My favorite contemporary b&w feature is F.F. Copolla's atmospheric and brilliantly-shot 'Tetro' (2009), where each frame of its scope canvas is a virtual work of art. Altho regarded as a b&w film, the flashback sequences were oddly shot in color.

mickinct 05-27-2014 03:39 PM

The Honeymooners: "Classic 39" Episodes Blu-ray ??

Art Sonneborn 05-30-2014 04:58 AM

I have dozens of black and white BluRays that are jaw dropping in detail. I love old movies. To dismiss black and white films for resolution is a mistake.

Art

nathanddrews 05-30-2014 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I have dozens of black and white BluRays that are jaw dropping in detail. I love old movies. To dismiss black and white films for resolution is a mistake.

Art

... but it wasn't shot in HD?!!??

biggrin.gif

NetworkTV 05-30-2014 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

The Honeymooners: "Classic 39" Episodes Blu-ray ??
For what it's worth, more TV series are being released on BD, even when not HD simply because it makes for a more compact package. The last couple Simpsons releases have been that way, despite the fact the those sets haven't gotten to the HD era yet.

For those with a BD player, it means you can get an entire season of a show in a BD slim pack.

As for the Honeymooners, as far as I know, only Kinescopes exist of that show.

NJPete 05-31-2014 07:03 AM

The Honeymooners "Classic 39" were shot on 35mm film and, assuming a correct transfer is done, should look substantially better than the DVD versions.

Only the "lost episodes" of The Honeymooners are kinescopes.

scowl 06-02-2014 04:22 PM

Television shows in the analog area were low contrast prints transferred to video tape. Even on DVD many of these old programs look excellent after being remastered for modern technology.

reanimator 06-02-2014 11:34 PM

The screencaps for Criterion's upcoming release of HARD DAYS NIGHT look breathtaking.

B/W blurays are some of my favorites!

Art Sonneborn 06-03-2014 06:47 AM

Just watched The Gangsters set over the weekend. Four films ranging from Little Caesar 1931 to White Heat 1949. Pretty stunning looking Blu Rays.These are Edward G Robinson,Humprey Bogart, James Cagney films.

Art

mhafner 06-08-2014 02:13 AM

New film "Nebraska" looks good.

dlh0310 06-12-2014 09:42 AM

Also see "The White Ribbon". Stunning cinematography.

Phantom Stranger 06-14-2014 03:36 PM

I just finished watching Harvey today, that has an excellent black-and-white transfer by Universal from pristine elements.

Shaded Dogfood 06-18-2014 08:31 PM

Frances Ha looks absolutely stunning in Blu-Ray B&W. Good film too.