• 1 Post By R Harkness
  • 1 Post By Toe

post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Rush: Clockwork Angels Concert Tour BluRay disk

First off, I searched the forum to see if this subject has been covered, and it appears that it has not, so here goes:-

Second off, I'm neither the world's most experienced reviewer nor the best, so anything contained herein that indicates that Clockwork Angels is not the best thing since sliced bread, is my fault, and I take full responsibility:-

The Clockwork Angels String Ensemble kicks off the recording with a soundcheck, and are joined by the members of Rush. The pre-concert soundcheck (Limelight) gives a taste of what is to follow, namely an energetic performance of some of the highlights of Rush's best known numbers from the last 30 years or so. While the first half of the concert celebrate the 30th anniversary of The Analog Kid, it makes no attempt to dig into the dim and distant past of Rush's history. This concert does not touch the first three albums and uses the Overture/Temples Of Syrinx medley as part of the encore.

The Clockwork Angels String Ensemble is an interesting addition to the second half of the concert, and contributes to every track from the latest album as well as a powerful version of Red Sector A and YYZ. From the power of Caravan to the serene beauty of The Garden, Clockwork Angels shows that Rush have lost none of their magic.

I've heard Rush at their best, and at their worst and I'd say this recording is about as good as it gets, which is to say incredible; a MUST buy.

The BluRay contains 5.1 and 2.0 soundtracks and scores a solid 100% from me. The concert length is around 3 hours so there is no shortage of material (or value for money). The pyrotechnics in Far Cry make for a decent subwoofer workout. The enthusiasm of the Texan audience rounds out a fantastic musical experience.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-A730 
Fronts: (Main) Polk Audio Monitor 65t (Presence) SoundStage 3D20 
Center: Polk Audio Monitor 15c 
Surrounds: L/R: Polk Audio Monitor 45b Rear: JBL SC305 
Sub: SoundStage LF500 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Thanks for the review.

I was a huge Rush fan growing up. I have a hard time listening to Geddy's struggling voice these days, but maybe I'll give this one a shot.
KJSteward likes this.

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Seems to me the arrangement of the songs has taken account of the changes in Geddy's voice. When I said I saw Rush at their worst I wasn't kidding. I saw them in Edmonton during the Snakes and Arrows tour and thought they were tired, bored and boring. They could have been a different group to the one I saw in London, England during the 1980s.

Thankfully, the "old" Rush appear to be back, with a vengeance. The musicianship on this recording is as tight as it ever was. If there was a bum note in the entire concert, I missed it. I did notice that the camera was out of focus on Peart at one point but that's pretty much all I noticed.

Considering the guys are "about a thousand years old" (to quote Geddy) I'd say they do reasonably well. This BluRay is money well spent. I think I paid $26 Canadian.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSteward View Post
Seems to me the arrangement of the songs has taken account of the changes in Geddy's voice. When I said I saw Rush at their worst I wasn't kidding. I saw them in Edmonton during the Snakes and Arrows tour and thought they were tired, bored and boring. They could have been a different group to the one I saw in London, England during the 1980s.

Thankfully, the "old" Rush appear to be back, with a vengeance. The musicianship on this recording is as tight as it ever was. If there was a bum note in the entire concert, I missed it. I did notice that the camera was out of focus on Peart at one point but that's pretty much all I noticed.

Considering the guys are "about a thousand years old" (to quote Geddy) I'd say they do reasonably well. This BluRay is money well spent. I think I paid $26 Canadian.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check this out

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #5 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 05:52 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Thanks for the report. How is the audio recording/mix compared to Snakes and Arrows?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #6 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Thanks for the report. How is the audio recording/mix compared to Snakes and Arrows?
I'll have to get back to you on that one, once I've bought the Snakes And Arrows BluRay. The last recordings I bought were R30 and Rush In Rio, both on DVD.

Looks like I need to pay a visit to Amazon to bring my collection up to date.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSteward View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I'll have to get back to you on that one, once I've bought the Snakes And Arrows BluRay. The last recordings I bought were R30 and Rush In Rio, both on DVD.

Looks like I need to pay a visit to Amazon to bring my collection up to date.
You might want to rent S & A first to see how you like it. Good show, but the recording/mix is terrible IMO which is why I am curious how the mix on this one compares.
KJSteward likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page