Do you keep the DVD that came with your Blu-Ray? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you keep the DVD that came with your Blu-Ray?
Yes 61 81.33%
No, I give it away to friends 4 5.33%
No, I give it away to family 5 6.67%
No, I donate it 0 0%
No, I burn it so no one else can watch SD-quality 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Cool Do you keep the DVD that came with your Blu-Ray?

Personally, I give the DVD away to friends/family or to my local library. My household is 'anti-DVD' but pro-Blu-Ray

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I don't even notice if DVDs are included anymore.

Steps:

1. Acquire Blu-ray
2. Insert Blu-ray into computer
3. MakeMKV
4. Place Blu-ray back into case
5. Place case in a box, never to be seen again (unless I lose a hard drive)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I keep the DVD, as Blu-rays eat lots of battery on flights...DVDs not as much.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

Old 07-27-2014, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Always keep them, you never now when you might need it.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 07-27-2014, 07:08 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Always keep them, you never now when you might need it.
agree

Frank
Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The included DVD's in combo packs are useful and convenient to use & I keep them.
Digital copies (in whatever form you care to consider) are worthless, imho.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i'm frankly shocked at the # of people keeping DVDs! lolz

to me... high-def quality should be what we should striving for (especially on forums like this). you can get BD players for home in any room, portable in cars, small laptops, pretty much anywhere. you can even remove the 'need it for the minivan' because they make BD players for the cars now... replacing the old SD DVDs. guess people just dont want to put that much $ into EVERYTHING.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post

to me... high-def quality should be what we should striving for (especially on forums like this). you can get BD players for home in any room, portable in cars, small laptops, pretty much anywhere. you can even remove the 'need it for the minivan' because they make BD players for the cars now... replacing the old SD DVDs. guess people just dont want to put that much $ into EVERYTHING.
Blu ray players die, sometimes refuse to load, internet crashes, streaming goes south and you have little ones who want to watch (fi1l in the title here___). You will be glad you still have that DVD kicking around.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 38
As of late I have been buying 3D movies for my new 3D 80" TV. I sell off the regular Blu ray, DVD and Digital Copy on eBay. In effect a $ 29.00 3D movie cost me about $ 10.00 or so. I usually sell regular BluRay for about $ 10.00, DVD for about $ 5.00 and Digital download for $ 5.00. Not bad at the end of the day.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Blu-Rays are slow to load, & akward to navagate, & upgrading a machine (??!!??) what gives with that??

When I purchase something, I don't want to be tied to 'internet upgrades' to continue to keep it working, (But ooooh the picture! .. well, most of the time! : ) ). ... at my age at a 10 foot distance from my 1080 set it don't matter too much anymore.

The DVD is a more common format, I kinda like the idea of a backup even if it is SD. I'm at times sorry I didn't just stick with the DVD on some of my movies.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have sold some of the DVD's to friends. I've thought about clearing out my collection and selling as many of the DVD's as possible, but every once and a while it comes in handy to have them as a backup. Especially since I haven't upgraded to a laptop with a Blu-ray drive!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I give the DVD copy to friends who have not upgraded to HD yet. The blu-ray disc is the preferred media used for playback if possible. I have a blu-ray player in my living room and a blu-ray drive in my laptop, so I rarely run into a situation where I can't use the BD. I do use the included digital copies as this allows me to watch the movie on my iPad if I'm on the deck or traveling and don't feel like lugging my laptop around, or, if the battery on my laptop is low and I don't have access to a power outlet. When possible, I redeem the digital copy from iTunes as this allows me to download the movie and store it locally. I keep the original copy on my laptop and back it up to my portable wireless hard drive. This way I don't have to worry about limited storage space on my iPad or having to pick and choose which movies to sync to it, or what kind of internet connection I have available. Instead, I just make a direct wireless connection between the portable hard drive (with it's built-in wireless routing capabilities) and my iPad and stream the movie locally. In the extremely rare situation where I can't use the BD and I wasn't able to redeem the digital copy from iTunes (mostly only an issue with Warner Brothers films), I have the fallback of streaming from Vudu or Flixster as I maintain my UV library with both services.

I can't foresee a situation where I couldn't use my BD copy and couldn't access my iTunes or UV copies. I still own a bunch of movies on DVD that get used on a fairly regular basis, but only because I don't have an HD copy of those movies, yet. For anything that I own on Blu-Ray, I have absolutely no use for the DVD copy of the same movie.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I just keep it in the case. Down the road I might sell the disc, so you never know.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Where's the "ex-wife stole them" option?

Funny story: Recently went through a nasty divorce. When it came to splitting up belongings, I asked to keep my Blu-Ray collection. When I got my Blu-rays, every single one that included a DVD had a nice empty slot where the DVDs once resided. My ex informed me that I only specified that I wanted the Blurays, therefore she took the DVDs. Riiiiiiiiight.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post
Where's the "ex-wife stole them" option?

Funny story: Recently went through a nasty divorce. When it came to splitting up belongings, I asked to keep my Blu-Ray collection. When I got my Blu-rays, every single one that included a DVD had a nice empty slot where the DVDs once resided. My ex informed me that I only specified that I wanted the Blurays, therefore she took the DVDs. Riiiiiiiiight.
At least you got the blurays. I gave mine to a friend. I have no use for DVDs.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would never break a set; if it comes with a DVD, worthless paper insert or years old movie theater ticket coupon, I keep all my stuff intact. To give away a DVD from a combo set would be an affront to my sensibilities, akin to having a remote control with the battery cover missing, or worse, electrical tape over the offending opening (that's the sign of a person who has given up all hope).
ChrisW6ATV likes this.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I keep the DVDs in the case, although I never use them. I have multiple Bluray players in my home, so it's not like I would have to rely on the DVD if a player broke. I never thought about giving them away, but if someone were to ask for it, I would have no issue giving it to them.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I keep the DVD's ( they have on some extremely rare occasions come in handy). I generally rip the Blu Rays to my NAS as MKV's, and then I use the digital copy on my VUDU account, where really you can watch them anywhere. I'm finding myself actually watching Blu Ray discs less and less.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

re: BD vs. DVD. thus far, i haven't run into any situations where i can't play BDs when i have desired to playback content on disc. when i leave the home and bring BDs with me i always carry the laptop that has BD built-in in case wherever i'm going needs to play BDs in case the place i'm going doesn't have the BD players.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 459
I keep my DVDs because it's so much better to make my own digital copies from them. The files I make play with no problem on any of my portable devices, unlike the commercial DC's that don't always play well with Android. Since it's much easier to do it with DVD with the free tools I've always had and the devices are small screens, the DVD works fine for that.

Finally, the DVD is nice for making a cheap copy to loan out to friends or family members (especially those who don't have BD players) since they can hang onto it longer than if I loaned out the original. Also, if something happens to the disc, there aren't any hard feelings after.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
I keep my DVDs because it's so much better to make my own digital copies from them. The files I make play with no problem on any of my portable devices, unlike the commercial DC's that don't always play well with Android. Since it's much easier to do it with DVD with the free tools I've always had and the devices are small screens, the DVD works fine for that.
Although I do use an Android phone, I have never had the desire to watch a movie on it. I guess that since I have an iPad and laptop for that purpose (both of which work with iTunes), I had never really thought about the lack of support for Android devices from a service that allows locally stored digital copies. Does the Google Play store allow you to download your digital copy and store it locally and are the codes included with most combo sets redeemable from the Google Play store? I know that I have seen the Google Play logo on at least a few of the slips, but never really paid attention to how many of them do.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

To add, I have about a half dozen DVD's I replaced on BluRay, as I'm not as resourseful as the younger generations 'point click buy' abilities selling a extra DVD is not an option (What would you get for a DVD on the used market ... esp with no Jacket... like 50 cents??) I'm thinking of just getting a 2 disk BulRay case & just hanging on to them. ie: I recently picked up the BluRay of Roger Corman's Death Race 2000, for $5 at the Big Lots....actually got it as it's Widescreen as opposed to my full screen DVD which looking back I payed a small fortune for.

IMO most movies wouldn't have that much of an impact for me in HD, but a few... ie: The Original 3 Star Wars, Flash Gordon (1980), & 2001 really stand out in HD. I'm so disappointed in the BluRay of transfer Christmas Vacation.... but again it was only $6.

No, I don't want to put that kind of money replacing anything adopted to a technology that becomes obsolete so quick anymore, why I gave up on Video games. Then there is the issue of incompatibility on different BluRay machines.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
The included DVD's in combo packs are useful and convenient to use & I keep them.
Digital copies (in whatever form you care to consider) are worthless, imho.
Mostly agreed. I understand how a DVD copy could theoretically be useful, so I keep them. I've never actually used one though. Digital copies, on the other hand, don't even reach that "theoretically useful" threshold.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm beyond Anti-DVD but not the rest of the household. I had to force myself to watch a YouTube video/film yesterday for homework. D; My 7-yr old brother takes the DVDs sometimes to watch in his room. I'd let him keep it there but a) it would get scratched to death and b) I have a turn-on for heavy Blu-Ray cases.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

they are younng now but i'll indoctrinate my kids to love hi-def video

w/portable BD players, car-mounts... i've jettisoned all of my DVDs. no DVDs allowed in my house.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2nd on the loaning, but don't bother to make the copy.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I keep both of them. Because sometimes Blu-ray is not played so good on my computer so I have to watch the DVD instead of Blu-ray.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If not for my great granddaughter I would still have all the kiddie DVDs that came with the blu ray movie. I don't need them though and would gladly sell or give them away.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
its not like they take up any more space if you keep them, I just leave them where they are
Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

they do for me. i actually take it out give it to people then repurpose the same case and print custom artwork so i have single edition BDs and then re-use the multi-disc cases for other movies that multiple BDs