Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
complete Batman TV series on Blu

I searched around, but the closest I found pre-existing was a closed thread from 2007-2009, so...

It's finally coming. Lots of recent chatter about it among the amazonians.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LT1JHLW/...5f97aba2c9cbda

Loved it as a teen (at least the first two seasons), but I watched an episode on one of the local channels' subchannel recently, and it was a bit of a slog, but lots of time seeing something in a really stellar print can go a long way towards enjoyment.

CW Hinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Yep. Surprised there wasn't a thread already.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3 of 19 Old 07-28-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I think the pricing is surprisingly affordable for the entire 120 episodes. I imagine they will reissue it in a cheaper configuration down the line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Good news but I will wait for one without all the 'collectors' junk. Wonder if Fox did the scans/mastering?
post #5 of 19 Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The surprise to me is that it's coming out from Warner Home Video. Fox has controlled the mastering on Batman for a long time, since they produced the show and own all the TV syndication rights. More than 25 years ago, I recall working on some behind-the-scenes interviews for Fox with all the surviving cast members, and I was told they were going to come out for a forthcoming home video release... which obviously never happened.

The interesting thing is, Cesar Romero, Burgess Meredith, and many other actors were still alive then and did interviews. It's unfortunate if those got relegated to storage, never to be seen by anybody. The interviews were used in some (very brief) TV promotional packages, but that's all.

Nobody has yet answered definitively why the show never got released on home video until now; the actors claimed they didn't know at ComicCon last week. All we know for sure is that Warner owned the characters (and trademarks), Fox owned the show, and Greenway Productions had an interest in it as well. I was told back in 1989 that WB had requested that Fox hold the show until the then-new Batman movie came out, but it dragged on for years and years and years. It's very telling that WB got the home video rights; I'd be curious how much of a split Fox is getting.

BTW, I'm told by people who have seen the new transfers that they're dark, which is not encouraging. The original show was very bright and very colorful, and the 35mm IPs I looked at on the pilot in the 1980s looked fine and were capable of very rich images. It'd be a shame if they made the thing look creepy and "overdramatic," particularly for a show as goofy as this one.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
There has been quite a lot of info published over the last few years about why it took so long to release the series. Mainly it was about money. Fox could not release the series because of Warner owning the character rights and Warner didn't have the source material to release. They had to work out a deal between the studios and other interested parties (the producers and probably issues around residuals for others). This took a long time as it often does when money is involved. I doubt if the dollar amounts involved to the various parties will become public knowledge. I think you can be sure that everyone expects to make good money from this.

post #7 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One reason Warners might have been leery of letting the TV series out as they were coming out with Nolan's different take on the character:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...ce-not-revenge

Also, youngsters of today probably don't realize the hugeness of Batman way back in the sixties. It was James Bond big, Beatles big (though it overstayed its welcome).

CW Hinkle
post #8 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

There have been intimations that Warner could have released it sooner but they didn't want to interfere with Nolan's movie trilogy. Fox couldn't release it on their own since they don't own the various Batman trademarks. Both studios are getting paid on this release, of that we have no doubt.

post #9 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
BTW, I'm told by people who have seen the new transfers that they're dark, which is not encouraging. The original show was very bright and very colorful, and the 35mm IPs I looked at on the pilot in the 1980s looked fine and were capable of very rich images. It'd be a shame if they made the thing look creepy and "overdramatic," particularly for a show as goofy as this one.
Based on the recent marathon that ran on IFC, the old transfers for the series were grossly overbrightened. The episodes looked washed out and faded. There's considerable room for improvement to correct that.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #10 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post
One reason Warners might have been leery of letting the TV series out as they were coming out with Nolan's different take on the character:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...ce-not-revenge

Also, youngsters of today probably don't realize the hugeness of Batman way back in the sixties. It was James Bond big, Beatles big (though it overstayed its welcome).

That's so true CW! From sky writing to endless commercials, there was nothing like it that had ever been promoted on TV such as Batman!!!

You had to be there to really appreciate what it was like...but then, that's the same for everything that came out at that time.

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB Projector; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player, Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TW HD Cable Box. 

post #11 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Getting over brightened is far more a danger in the home video market. Only on rare occasions is a transfer 'too dark'. If it has similar color grading and film grain to the Batman Fox BD then I will be a happy camper.

Fox released it's Batman 1966 film on BD right in the middle of the Nolan media blitz so that blows away the WB conspiracy theories.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Based on the recent marathon that ran on IFC, the old transfers for the series were grossly overbrightened.
The ones I saw for syndication around 1988-1989 were stellar. The Fox distribution people are very smart and understand the difference between "overbright" and "bright enough." But the show was never as dark and moody as (say) a modern feature film; it was always intended to be fairly upbeat and "poppy" (as some people in mastering refer to it). It's a question of intent and good taste.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-30-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We were there, inspector. By season two famous people were fighting to get the opportunity to stick their heads out the window when Batman and Robin were "climbing" up a building.

I bet somehow the old Batman movie had different contractual rights to the characters from the television show. Plus it was pretty lame and may have been judged to be not much of a threat.

This was near the beginning of color TV on the networks competing with NBC. Everything was as colorful as they could make it, just like Star Trek.

CW Hinkle
post #14 of 19 Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
The ones I saw for syndication around 1988-1989 were stellar. The Fox distribution people are very smart and understand the difference between "overbright" and "bright enough." But the show was never as dark and moody as (say) a modern feature film; it was always intended to be fairly upbeat and "poppy" (as some people in mastering refer to it). It's a question of intent and good taste.
I don't remember what the old SD syndication masters from the 1980s may have looked like. However, the current HD syndication airings are seriously overbrightened, washing out the shadows and crushing detail in bright areas. Even without another reference to judge it against, it just looks wrong. You can correct that to make the picture "darker" without making it dim. It does not currently look upbeat or poppy. It looks bleached and faded.

I say we reserve judgment on this until the discs are actually available.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #15 of 19 Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I love the show but I don't want a boxset with a bunch of extra stuff that takes up shelf space and I will gladly buy ALL of the discs in a separate packaging if it ever comes.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-15-2014, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'll be honest, the advance of 4K has made me reluctant to make new Blu-ray purchases. I want this, but then I'm sure it will get a 4K re-release in two years. (I have no actual evidence this will happen...)
post #17 of 19 Old 08-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
I'll be honest, the advance of 4K has made me reluctant to make new Blu-ray purchases...
The "advance" of 4K?

I know sarcasm doesn't translate well online so I don't know if that's a real sentiment. In the history of home video, never has there been an idea so stuck-in-the-mud as 4K. I think the probability of BATMAN getting a 4K release on home video EVER is pretty close to zero. In two years?...absolutely zero. I don't know where you are seeing any advancement.

Passing up Blu-ray while waiting for a 4K release would be like me turning down a date with Salma Hayek because I was hoping for Halle Berry to ask me out: Wildy optimistic and not remotely realistic.

More on topic...I don't like "Big box o' Crap" limited editions and I have never, once, ordered or purchased such a set while building my 755 BD collection...until now. And I still don't like the idea. I don't need cheezie collector card reprints and if I'd wanted a Hot Wheels Batmobile, I would have bought one from Wal Mart. And I know that a no-frills BD release will certainly be coming at a fraction of the price. All that being said, for the first time in 7+ years of BD buying, this is something that I must have on day one. I'm of that age where I'm a real, first generation BATMAN TV fan (born in 1958). I can't stand the thought of reading online discussions about the BATMAN BDs while I twiddle my thumbs waiting for the budget release. I wouldn't, in good conscience, advise a casual fan to splurge for this needless swag collection but this will be my one, mindless Blu-ray splurge.

And I also want to express my happiness that people seeing these transfer believe that they are dark. That's a good sign. As others have suggested, I also share the strong belief that most home video releases suffer from significant overbrightening. Over the years, most people have adapted to this overbrightening and have come to accept it as normal. But we have reached a point in home video where we need to start correcting these sins of the past. I'm sitting 8' away from a 60" screen and I no longer need to see ultra bright transfers designed to be viewed on 19" 4:3 TVs sitting in the corner of the room.

Also, the terms "bright" and "colorful" don't go together. Ask any old school photographer who shot transparency film back in the day. Any pro shooting something like Kodachrome would underexpose it in order to increase color saturation. The word "bright" should more correctly be matched with the term "washed out".
post #18 of 19 Old 08-15-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
I'll be honest, the advance of 4K has made me reluctant to make new Blu-ray purchases. I want this, but then I'm sure it will get a 4K re-release in two years. (I have no actual evidence this will happen...)
But I want evidence mister... It may get a 4K release but it could be in two or 8 years even if there is a mainstream 4K format two years from now.

It's a off-topic subject anyway.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't believe it will ever get a 4K physical release, if that is what you are hoping. 4K will be reserved for the absolute newest theatrical releases and a few premium catalog selections. The Blu-ray format will often be the final word on physical media for many, many releases of varying popularity.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page