Finally! Star wars original release - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 57 Old 08-24-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I'm going to go on a limb and say it will happen next year. They will restore the originals (from 4K) and you'll see them released at IMAX theaters prior to Episode 7 and before getting released on Blu-ray. I think there will be a big Star Wars marketing tie especially with the originals as Hamill, Ford, and Fisher are re-appearing in the new movie.

Since the Disney purchase, nothing changes really: Lucasfilm still produces the content and Fox will distribute it.
Hopefully Lowry Digital won't be involved this time. Frozen grain and sunburned skin tones weren't really my thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 08-24-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
True, but it virtually impossible for average-Joe to access.
Do these "despecialized" versions look like crap considering they likely spliced in LD-like quality elements into the retail BD's????
post #33 of 57 Old 08-24-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post
Hopefully Lowry Digital won't be involved this time. Frozen grain and sunburned skin tones weren't really my thing.
They were definitely disappointing.

post #34 of 57 Old 08-25-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Do these "despecialized" versions look like crap considering they likely spliced in LD-like quality elements into the retail BD's????
From my viewing on a 120" projector screen, they look pretty awesome. There are a few scenes which are soft, but overall, a fantastic job.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #35 of 57 Old 08-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoe View Post
From my viewing on a 120" projector screen, they look pretty awesome. There are a few scenes which are soft, but overall, a fantastic job.
I'll second that. What those dedicated nerds have been able to pull off is quite impressive.
post #36 of 57 Old 08-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I look at it like this: there are two potential major release points for a remastered, more-or-less untouched OT on BD. One is indeed shortly before Episode VII is released. The other, and it's perhaps the real biggie, is 2017--ANH's 40th anniversary. Unless Lucas indeed has some sort of agreement in play with Disney to completely block it, they're going to make one of those timeframes; considering their general track record, honestly, I'm leaning towards 2017.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #37 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 176
While dedicated Star Wars fans might 'rush' to purchase another variant of the Saga, I suspect that interest within the general population will be 'somewhat limited' . . . but might be boosted by a next-new-thing factor...

Three years should provide sufficient time for one or more of the currently arriving group of 3Daudio technologies to establish an installed consumer base.

I have not yet upgraded Episodes I-VI from DVD to BD . . . but I would certainly do so if new BDs are released with a 3Daudio soundtrack.
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #38 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM

It looks like the despecialized edits are getting a bit more "mainstream" press lately:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/star-w...150000465.html
post #39 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
I have not yet upgraded Episodes I-VI from DVD to BD . . . but I would certainly do so if new BDs are released with a 3Daudio soundtrack.
_
Honestly, the included audio tracks may be one of the most compelling reasons why it's so popular compared to the Blu-rays. A snippet of the included audio tracks from the 2.5 release:

Quote:
TRACK 1) 5.1 DTS-HD-MA [English] (1977 70mm six track mix)

TRACK 2) 2.0 DTS-HD-MA [English] (1977 35mm stereo mix)

TRACK 3) 1.0 DTS-HD-MA [English] (1977 35mm mono mix)

TRACK 4) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (1985 Laserdisc mix)

TRACK 5) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (1993 Laserdisc mix)

TRACK 6) 2.0 Dolby Digital [German] (1978 dub reconstruction)

TRACK 7) 2.0 Dolby Digital [French] (1977 dub)

TRACK 8) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Spanish] (1977 Castilian dub)

TRACK 9) 1.0 Dolby Digital [Spanish] (1980 Latino dub)

TRACK 10) 1.0 Dolby Digital [Portuguese] (1980s Brazilian dub)

TRACK 11) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Japanese] (1978 Dub)

TRACK 12) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Italian] (1977 dub)

TRACK 13) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Polish] (1995 Voiceover)

TRACK 14) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Czech] (1992 dub)

TRACK 15) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Hungarian] (1984 dub)

TRACK 16) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (1993 LD Audio Commentary - silence filled with 1993 LD 2.0)

TRACK 17) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (2004 DVD Audio Commentary - recut to fit this release)

TRACK 18) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (2004 starwars.com Audio Commentary - recut to fit this release)

TRACK 19) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (2011 BD Archival Interviews Audio Commentary - recut to fit this release)

TRACK 20) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Isolated Score] (Compiled by hairy_hen)

TRACK 21) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (Commentary For Visually Impaired)
post #40 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Honestly, the included audio tracks may be one of the most compelling reasons why it's so popular compared to the Blu-rays. A snippet of the included audio tracks from the 2.5 release:
Any idea which of those audio tracks is considered to be the best? I flipped back and forth between Track 1 and Track 5 and stayed with the default Track 1, but I wasn't patient enough to cycle through them all.
post #41 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syradil View Post
Any idea which of those audio tracks is considered to be the best? I flipped back and forth between Track 1 and Track 5 and stayed with the default Track 1, but I wasn't patient enough to cycle through them all.
Depends if I'm playing it in my theater room or on the TV. #2 is my favorite on the TV, while I play #1 in the theater room.
post #42 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Depends if I'm playing it in my theater room or on the TV. #2 is my favorite on the TV, while I play #1 in the theater room.
Interesting, I don't have an audio setup yet so I'll try Track 2 next time.
post #43 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Here is an interesting article discussing the despecialized versions of SW along with some of Lucas' insights back then (on the value of original "art") along with some other interesting information. Enjoy.

DavidHir likes this.
post #44 of 57 Old 08-28-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post
Here is an interesting article discussing the despecialized versions of SW along with some of Lucas' insights back then (on the value of original "art") along with some other interesting information. Enjoy.

Same link I posted in post #39 .
post #45 of 57 Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syradil View Post

"Best" is in the eye of the beholder. I favor track 1, which is a reconstruction of the original 1977 6-channel mix (many others agree, which is why it's track 1/the default). Track 2 is the 1977 stereo mix, which is, content-wise, almost identical to track 1, but if you don't have a surround system, it may sound clearer than track 1 due to lack of mixdown. Track 3 is the 1977 mono mix, which sounds pretty rough by modern standards, but it's the track most people heard in 1977, so that's historically important. Track 4 is the 1985 mix, made popular on VHS, which is like a reconciliation of alternate dialogue on the stereo and mono mixes. It has great stereo separation, no dynamic range at all, and lots of VHS nostalgia. Track 5 is the 1993 mix, which includes non-original audio elements (most notably, the shattering glass sound effects during the detention block shootout). The audio quality is quite good, but it's stigmatized as being revisionist for no good reason.

Try 'em all and decide for yourself.
post #46 of 57 Old 08-28-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
I view on similar sized screen and would love to see these.

Is the PQ equivalent to the current "official" discs in terms of detail?

Last edited by DavidHir; 08-28-2014 at 03:58 PM.
post #47 of 57 Old 08-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It varies. In some cases, you can see more detail than in the official disks (due to the color correction bringing out buried details), but for the most part, it's the same level of detail, just with some of the oversharpened edges of the official disks looking a touch softer/more natural. That said, wherever a lesser-quality video source was used, the quality does drop noticeably (usually not the entire frame, just an element). I'd say it's similar to the Firefly Blu-rays in terms of mixing HD and low-def material. If you can stand the Firefly Blu-rays, you'll love these. Also FWIW, Jedi is one generation behind the other two films as far as restoration quality goes, and it shows. The audio is across-the-board better than the Blu-rays.
post #48 of 57 Old 09-06-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I view on similar sized screen and would love to see these.

No, it's only available in 720p
post #49 of 57 Old 09-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
No, it's only available in 720p
Which is virtually identical to the retail discs, because they were based on old masters they resolve virtually no resolution above that. Here's a screencap comparison between the retail disc and a 720p conversion.

On my setup, Star Wars and Empire actually look superior to the retail versions, seeing as the retail versions have awful colors and crushed blacks. They really do look unbelievably good.
post #50 of 57 Old 09-06-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure I can find 1 frame that invalidates your 1 frame...
post #51 of 57 Old 09-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Uh, OK?

The fact is the BD retail version resolves virtually no more than 720p resolution in terms of actual detail. The portions of the DeSpecialized edition sourced from the BD are virtually identical in resolvable detail to the BD version. The BD's were sourced from a master created for the DVD releases. Throw in the fact that the blacks are crushed horribly in the retail BD releases and very often the Despecialized edition actually displays far more detail.... and the color palette has been restored to the original theatrical color timing so the cast doesn't look like lobsters any more.

Last edited by Stinky-Dinkins; 09-07-2014 at 03:34 PM.
post #52 of 57 Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For frames where the source material for the frame is the BD downscaled to 720p, no--you really can't find one, for the reasons Stinky already mentioned. The retail Blu-rays just don't have 1080p worth of detail in them--the only thing lost in converting to 720p is some oversharpening artifacts. For frames based on lower-res materials, sure, those don't have as much detail, but we already covered that. Mixing HD and low-res material isn't everyone's cup of tea (as previously mentioned, some people didn't like the Firefly Blu-rays for exactly the same reason). Those people are free to stick with their Laserdiscs if that's how they'd prefer to watch Star Wars (and their Firefly DVDs).

Last edited by CatBus; 09-08-2014 at 09:15 AM.
post #53 of 57 Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Certainly not. They only own the distribution rights as Brandon said. The film belongs to Lucasfim/Disney.
Actually, Fox does. They own the rights to A New Hope. Fox was the only studio willing to put the money up for the movie, and Lucas had no leverage at all with rights with the original film (he did make lucrative deals for merchandising and sequels, however). And not only have I never heard of Lucas/Lucasfilm successfully purchasing the rights back, but Fox would have been fools to do so at any point. The sale of Lucasfilm was of Lucasfilm's properties and intellectual properties, of which rights to A New Hope aren't a part of, since Lucasfilm doesn't actually own them.
post #54 of 57 Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post
Actually, Fox does. They own the rights to A New Hope. Fox was the only studio willing to put the money up for the movie, and Lucas had no leverage at all with rights with the original film (he did make lucrative deals for merchandising and sequels, however). And not only have I never heard of Lucas/Lucasfilm successfully purchasing the rights back, but Fox would have been fools to do so at any point. The sale of Lucasfilm was of Lucasfilm's properties and intellectual properties, of which rights to A New Hope aren't a part of, since Lucasfilm doesn't actually own them.
As I understand it, Fox sold the the first movie to Lucasfilm as a condition of its distribution agreement for the prequel trilogy. George Lucas threatened to take the prequels to another studio, and Fox (expecting them to be some of the biggest movies of all time) caved. Lucasfilm (now Disney) owns all six movies, but Fox managed to retain distribution rights to A New Hope in perpetuity.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #55 of 57 Old 09-16-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
As I understand it, Fox sold the the first movie to Lucasfilm as a condition of its distribution agreement for the prequel trilogy. George Lucas threatened to take the prequels to another studio, and Fox (expecting them to be some of the biggest movies of all time) caved. Lucasfilm (now Disney) owns all six movies, but Fox managed to retain distribution rights to A New Hope in perpetuity.
You almost have it. Fox owns the distribution rights to A New Hope in perpetuity, and holds the distribution rights to Empire Strikes Back until 2020.

Honestly, I don't know that a release will happen. It seems like there were tons of articles on this for a weekend, and then everything quieted down just as quickly.

Regardless, the despecialized versions look awesome, and should be enough for anyone.
post #56 of 57 Old 09-16-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
You almost have it. Fox owns the distribution rights to A New Hope in perpetuity, and holds the distribution rights to Empire Strikes Back until 2020.
Fox actually has distribution rights to Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and all three prequels until 2020, plus the first Star Wars (A New Hope) in perpetuity.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #57 of 57 Old 09-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Gotcha. I never heard of the news of Lucas successfully gaining ownership to ANH. I just knew that Fox owned it. But knowing how much he dislikes studios, I can totally see this scenario taking place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page