Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Amazing Spiderman 2 Blu ray

I have a a Sony BDP-S5100 feeding a Panasonic 50ST60 (Via a Darbee if that matters). All of my other discs play fine with the black levels you would expect out of this display. But the Spiderman 2 disc I received today looks VERY washed out....the letter boxing actually looks gray rather than black. I can somewhat adjust for this by changing Black Level to Dark under the TV's Advanced Settings but this results in black crush and of course ruins the calibration.

Anyone else seeing this? All the reviews I've seen for this disc make no mention of this and even give the release top marks for picture quality.

Update: Black levels look normal on my Sony 60NX720 in the living room. Player is a Panny DMP-BDT230 (No Darbee).

Last edited by AMartin56; 08-19-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I have a a Sony BDP-S5100 feeding a Panasonic 50ST60 (Via a Darbee if that matters). All of my other discs play fine with the black levels you would expect out of this display. But the Spiderman 2 disc I received today looks VERY washed out....the letter boxing actually looks gray rather than black. I can somewhat adjust for this by changing Black Level to Dark under the TV's Advanced Settings but this results in black crush and of course ruins the calibration.

Anyone else seeing this? All the reviews I've seen for this disc make no mention of this and even give the release top marks for picture quality.
Hope the 3D edition doesn't have that problem.

post #3 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Hope the 3D edition doesn't have that problem.
Thanks for mentioning that. I should point out that I'm using the 2D disc only. I didn't buy the 3D version.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I saw similar results with the first film on Blu and yet when I watched it on the PPV channel, it was looking right and proper.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I watched it yesterday (2D edition) and didn't notice anything wrong. PQ was indeed fantastic, overall another outstanding presentation from Sony.
@LexInVA never had an issue with the first film either.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Somewhere in your settings you need to change dynamic range (output range) from TV to PC or vice versa, or from 16-235 to 0-255 or vice versa .
post #7 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did a bit more testing.

The blu-ray player has four settings for color space: Auto, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB.

The TV has two: Standard (16-235) and Non-Standard.

If I set the player to output RGB and the TV to Standard the problem is 'fixed'. I get proper black levels. If I leave the player at RGB and change the TV to Non-standard I get gray blacks again. No combination with the player set to anything other than RGB provides proper blacks.

Both devices have the latest firmware if it matters.

Since I own close to two hundred blu-rays and have had no issues with any other disc with my original settings (Auto and Standard) I'd say that there is something odd about the authoring of this particular disc. Nothing that should make people avoid buying it (well except for the overall poor quality of the film itself) but certainly not something I'm imagining either (not that anyone has accused me of that ).

Last edited by AMartin56; 08-21-2014 at 06:19 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 08:40 AM

Someone at sony likes the pc more than the tv .
post #9 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I did a bit more testing.

The blu-ray player has four settings for color space: Auto, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB.

The TV has two: Standard (16-235) and Non-Standard.

If I set the player to output RGB and the TV to Standard the problem is 'fixed'. I get proper black levels. If I leave the player at RGB and change the TV to Non-standard I get gray blacks again. No combination with the player set to anything other than RGB provides proper blacks.

Both devices have the latest firmware if it matters.

Since I own close to two hundred blu-rays and have had no issues with any other disc with my original settings (Auto and Standard) I'd say that there is something odd about the authoring of this particular disc. Nothing that should make people avoid buying it (well except for the overall poor quality of the film itself) but certainly not something I'm imagining either (not that anyone has accused me of that ).

I wonder if you can return the disc you bought and get another one from a totally different company just to make sure.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Is the movie encoded in xvYCC?
post #11 of 14 Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post
Is the movie encoded in xvYCC?
I heard it was.
for the 2d version only.
Jacob
post #12 of 14 Old 08-29-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I have the same issue with Elysium and Spiderman2. Panasonic 65ST60 with Sony bluray player S5200. Same issue with my old Sony S570. It is like Sony film does not like Sony bluray player. I dont mind leaving it with RGB output but what the hell!
post #13 of 14 Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I had a similar disappointment with the first Spiderman movie. I found it strangely dark and washed out compared to almost all my other Blu-Ray movies. (This is using a high contrast JVC projector, professionally calibrated, so it isn't s problem with picture settings, and all other films look
punchy and vibrant).

I was hoping the new Spiderman wouldn't have the same look, but this thread is making me think "here we go again..."

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-05-2014, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazing Spiderman 2 Audio Glitch UK/US Editions

Wondering if any of you with the UK edition have noticed or can check their copy to see if they can hear what sounds like a 'pop' on the soundtrack of the 2D disc (I have the combo edition) at approximately 32mins 59secs? It's easy to miss as its somewhat camouflaged by the dialogue. Have checked the 3D disc as well (which I haven't yet watched in its entirety) and it's present on that disc as well.

Wondering whether any of you with the US version also notice this.

Have checked two friends copies and its noticeable on those also.

You need to watch from the start of that chapter (5).

Am using Oppo BDP-93 (also tried PS4 & Sony BDP-S480) with a Yamaha RX-A2010.

Last edited by geoffreyc; 09-05-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page