Recoloring movies fo Blu-ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Recoloring movies fo Blu-ray

I noticed some directors change images of their movies on Blu-Ray. New version of French Connection has colder colors, Badhams Dracula has desaturated colors... Could you give me more examples of this (movies that look different than its original version on Blu-ray)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy80 View Post
I noticed some directors change images of their movies on Blu-Ray. New version of French Connection has colder colors, Badhams Dracula has desaturated colors... Could you give me more examples of this (movies that look different than its original version on Blu-ray)?
Pretty much any James Cameron film that had a remaster done, Terminator, Titanic, T2, etc, and I mean very different color grading. The Blade Runner Final Cut also has quite a different color grading then the other cuts in the boxset.

Independent disturbers also have a annoying habit of altering the color grading from the master like Shout vs a UK release ie Phantom of Paradise.

Last edited by wuther; 09-14-2014 at 11:09 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-14-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
From what I understand, if you're going back and scanning the original film negatives, you pretty much have to regrade the film anyway. The question is: when you regrade the film, do you aim for fidelity or some other subjective standard... and if you go for fidelity, what color reference do you use?

Some certainly just go for what they think looks good at the time, so it's different than prior releases, and revisionist. Some use a reference that's different than any other home video release, so it's different than prior releases, but possibly with better fidelity. Some make honest mistakes and end up trying to do the right thing (see what I did there?), and failing, resulting in unintentional revisionism. And sometimes they look more or less the same as previous releases.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post
From what I understand, if you're going back and scanning the original film negatives, you pretty much have to regrade the film anyway. The question is: when you regrade the film, do you aim for fidelity or some other subjective standard... and if you go for fidelity, what color reference do you use?
That does not explain Apocalypse Now, Titanic, Blade Runner or Independent disturbers using the same masters but having different color grading.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
God, I love TEAL and ORANGE!!!

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB Projector; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player, Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TW HD Cable Box. 

post #6 of 11 Old 09-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
disturbers
eye! these disturbers are making me thursty !
post #7 of 11 Old 09-14-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
eye! these disturbers are making me thursty !
omg a typo.
post #8 of 11 Old Today, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Some of is clearly revisionist thinking so the movie's look is more palatable for modern audiences. In other cases, it's hard to duplicate the original color timing with modern digital tools. Almost everything is done in the digital domain now, and it's hard to perfectly mirror certain vintage film stocks using digital tools.

The trend is only going to get worse, as the people with the chemical know-how to process photochemical film disappear from Hollywood. Less and less people in the business will know what an older film should look like, as newer generations have virtually no experience in film.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 Old Today, 01:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 347
The attached is from the Blu-ray of 1942 Technicolor film The Black Swan.

As you can see the knob-twiddlers have been busy.

-Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black-swan.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	268482  

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #10 of 11 Old Today, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Some of is clearly revisionist thinking so the movie's look is more palatable for modern audiences. In other cases, it's hard to duplicate the original color timing with modern digital tools. Almost everything is done in the digital domain now, and it's hard to perfectly mirror certain vintage film stocks using digital tools.

The trend is only going to get worse, as the people with the chemical know-how to process photochemical film disappear from Hollywood. Less and less people in the business will know what an older film should look like, as newer generations have virtually no experience in film.
I guess on the positive side that means digitally filmed (newer) movies going forward will not have the color dilemmas of this sort.

post #11 of 11 Old Today, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The attached is from the Blu-ray of 1942 Technicolor film The Black Swan.

As you can see the knob-twiddlers have been busy.

-Bill
That particular movie is tricky, since the DP used very exotic lighting for its time. If I remember correctly, they used the older transfer struck for DVD when they issued its Blu-ray.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page