Lawrence of Arabia 50th anniversary - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Software > Lawrence of Arabia 50th anniversary

Blu-ray Software

Tiki Steve's Avatar Tiki Steve
08:12 PM Liked: 17
post #1 of 8
12-20-2014 | Posts: 43
Just picked up the 50th anniversary copy of Lawrence of Arabia.
Stunning, simply stunning!!
Just having recently gotten a new display (samsung 60F8500 plasma), I have been updating some of my BD collection (885 so far!).
Saw this in the store for a big discount and couldn't pass it up even though I already had a older BD of this movie.

I'm as big a fan of new "action" movies as anyone, but the difference between a film of the "real" world verses a CG, green screen, digital world is night and day.
Sure they can make what doesn't really exist look believable. But when you see a great print film of the real world it just blows me away.
The sharpness and detail, and stunning colour array that was in this film just has to be seen to be believed. At times the picture was so vivid you could almost smell the hot desert air, the funk of a camel, the jewel like coolness of a cup of water.
Any movie buffs that haven't watched some of the restored older classic movies like this really owe it to yourselves to watch some of these.
The acting is some of the best you will ever see, the story and screenplay top notch, and the sheer breathtaking picture, this film will stay in your memory long after many newer movies have faded.
Phantom Stranger's Avatar Phantom Stranger
12:33 PM Liked: 111
post #2 of 8
12-21-2014 | Posts: 3,287
Sony definitely spent more time and energy on this film transfer than some others. Someone at the company must really love the film.
LexInVA's Avatar LexInVA
03:47 PM Liked: 47
post #3 of 8
12-21-2014 | Posts: 2,007
I'm 99.967% sure it will be one of the first Sony 4K Blu-Ray titles.
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir
06:55 AM Liked: 471
post #4 of 8
Today | Posts: 10,573
I think a lot of Sony catalogs are solid, but it would have been disappointing if a movie of this magnitude didn't get top notch treatment.
wuther's Avatar wuther
08:12 AM Liked: 34
post #5 of 8
Today | Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Steve View Post
The 50th anniversary box set had an updated transfer I believe.
How do know it is a different transfer then the non-box set version?
05:44 PM Liked: 17
post #6 of 8
Today | Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
How do know it is a different transfer then the non-box set version?
Did not mean to imply that the box set was a special update, if yours is a 2012 release it is the same.

(copied from a review)

"We wanted to return this film to as pristine a condition as possible to honour its anniversary release," says Grover Crisp, EVP of Asset Management, Film Restoration and Digital Mastering for SPE. The original camera negative was scanned at 8K and the film went through a painstaking process of repairing problems inherent to the 50-year old film elements. Using the latest digital imaging technology, the colour grading and re-mastering was completed in 4K at Colorworks, Sony Pictures Entertainments' digital intermediate facility. "The original negative was seriously damaged in a number of ways, some problems dating from the original release and some accumulated over the years." says Crisp. "But, until now, we did not have the tools available to address these issues. We think fans of the film will be as amazed as we are at the detail and resolution in the imagery captured by cinematographer Freddie Young to compliment David Lean's immaculate direction." How true!!

VIDEO:

Lawrence of Arabia arrives at blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 2.19:1 encode. Now through the high scrutiny lens of blu ray comes an image of the greatness in the look back at Lawrence of Arabia that today requires only the gift of sight to see in all of its filmic glory. Sony's meticulous 4K restoration is not just a treat, it's a revelation and perhaps the definitive blu ray catalogue release, if not the format's finest presentation. It is a beautiful picture, to say the least, every frame lovingly cared for and displayed on blu-ray with the sort of attention to detail and, indeed, flawlessness that a film of this magnitude commands. Sony's picture dazzles from the opening shots of Lawrence speeding down very well-defined pavement and past sharp and accurate foliage. Detail remains exacting throughout the film; whether fine grains of sand, sweeping desert vistas, intricate clothing lines, or complex facial textures, there's never a frame in which the picture doesn't dazzle with its perfect film-like elements. The image is absolutely clean, showing no signs of wear and succumbing to no unwanted artifacts or digital tinkering. Colours are equally resplendent. Gold trim, bright reds, lush natural greens, and all variety of colours simply dazzle in every scene. Black levels are perfect, as is shadow detail. It is the sort of timeless image that transfixes and immerses, one that is so precise that viewers will become absolutely lost in the beauty of the film. One should watch it twice in succession, once for the transfer and once for the movie.
wuther's Avatar wuther
09:20 PM Liked: 34
post #7 of 8
Today | Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Steve View Post
Did not mean to imply that the box set was a special update, if yours is a 2012 release it is the same.
There is no prior BD of LOA. You can make the same 'updated transfer' claim about every BD sold that has not had another mastering done.
09:27 PM Liked: 17
post #8 of 8
Today | Posts: 43
Thank you for correcting me.
I have now edited my original post
Feel better?
Reply Blu-ray Software

Subscribe to this Thread