Audio Maleficent & Capt. Amer. Winter Soldier Blu Ray audio problems - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-09-2015, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Audio Maleficent & Capt. Amer. Winter Soldier Blu Ray audio problems

On Blu Ray during a few scenes in these movies the audio has a distinct distortion/crackle during some of the action scenes. In CAWS near the end when the gunships are flying (thrusters), during the loudest moments especially, there is a noticeable amount of crackle in the audio, it also occurred at other moments in the film. Also happens while watching Maleficent only during the heavy action scenes. These are the ONLY two movies this occurs with on my system. OPPO BDP-83 with Yamaha receiver using analog connections for master audio. I do not get this problem on any other Blu Ray at all, Star Wars, Transformers, Avatar, etc.plus hundreds of others. What could be the cause of this? I listen to only DTS-MA or Dolby True HD. All connections are great. Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-09-2015, 11:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked: 1722
It's hard to tell. ...It could be in the audio encoding themselves. ...The audio mixer clipping some louder action scenes.

I got both Blu-ray titles; I would have to revisit them again and concentrate for those particular instances.

* Here's a question for you: Both those Blu-ray titles; you listened to the 2D versions, and they are both from North America (region)?

♦ When I do revisit them again (already saw twice, and thrice for 'Maleficent'), I'll try to remember this thread and will report my u!timate findings, to you.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-10-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: inde
post #3 of 17 Old 01-10-2015, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

They are both North America and 2D version. The distortion is even noticeable at low volume.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-10-2015, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Might have fixed problem. On my OPPO BDP-83 I decided to see what would happen if I turned the secondary audio option on. After doing this the distortion is no longer there. Plays loud, clear and clean on those two movies where the distortion was previously. I do not notice any loss in audio quality by having this turned on. I thought by having secondary audio turned on it would degrade the quality of the DTS-MA. It does not seem to be the case. I also wonder why these are the only two movies that have the problem on my system. All other Blu Rays have no distortion whatsoever when played with secondary audio off.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-10-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Now, that is very very interesting. ...Unusual. ...Time soon to upgrade to the next upcoming Oppo BDP-113 Blu-ray player?
...HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 (true 4K) --> Ultra HD.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-19-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
By turning secondary audio on, you're only getting the core DTS - not the extra bits that make it DTS Master. So in a way, you are degrading the audio quality. But why you're getting distortion when playing DTS-Master is still a mystery unless it's level related. Have you tried using the volume control on the remote to lower the output level of the player slightly, then compensate by raising the level on your receiver? Perhaps you're overloading the analog inputs slightly.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have tried it with lowering the sound levels and also at really low volume, barely audible, and can still hear the same crackling /distortion in the affected sceens. Also tried at low, low volume with headphones on and can also still hear distortion in those same areas. When the Maleficent blu ray came out in red box we rented it and that's when I first heard it. Then we bought the blu ray and on this copy it still has the distortion in the same spots. Wierd problem. Other than Maleficent and Capt America Winter Soldier I have never had these issues before. I can leave secondary audio off and all other titles play excellent with no issues.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-19-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is this a reported issue on the Internet @ various audio/video forums?

I sure will investigate this in my own rig @ home. ...And good tip with the headphones.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-26-2015, 02:00 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 475
sorry to read your having issues pcanuck but no issues on my end for either film.

Frank
post #10 of 17 Old 01-26-2015, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 117
If you're sending the audio bitstream, have you tried changing it to multi-channel LPCM (and vice versa) and see if the issue is still present? I don't recall hearing any audio distortions with either title, either on the PS3 or my Oppo 103. I've always had the player decode the audio and send it via LPCM to me receiver.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-26-2015, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I only have CAWS. Is it repeatable at the same timestamp(s)? I haven't noticed anything before, but I'll check it out if you can narrow it down.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
On Blu Ray during a few scenes in these movies the audio has a distinct distortion/crackle during some of the action scenes. In CAWS near the end when the gunships are flying (thrusters), during the loudest moments especially, there is a noticeable amount of crackle in the audio, it also occurred at other moments in the film. Also happens while watching Maleficent only during the heavy action scenes. These are the ONLY two movies this occurs with on my system. OPPO BDP-83 with Yamaha receiver using analog connections for master audio. I do not get this problem on any other Blu Ray at all, Star Wars, Transformers, Avatar, etc.plus hundreds of others. What could be the cause of this? I listen to only DTS-MA or Dolby True HD. All connections are great. Thanks for any advice!
That's a very important point; the multichannel analog out of the Oppo BDP-83 universal Blu-ray player. ///

Because we cannot compare in any other way; not digital bitstream, and preferably with an Oppo BDP-83 player.

* I watched 'Maleficent' three times, but I always bitstream (HDMI connection) from my Oppo 103. ...Then my comparison has no merit; not the same @ all. ...I would have to listen now from its multichannel analog connection. ...I will, don't know exactly when but I will.

I do have a theory though; but I'll wait some more before I share. ...Just to be more certain, or/and to see if it's a valid one.

And yes, if someone has an Oppo 83, 'Maleficent' on Blu-ray, and listening to it from the 83's multichannel analog Out; that would be the very best (and the only correct way) to verify/analyse/confirm/giving a valid second opinion. ...Without using the same type of setting, anything else is futile.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-26-2015 at 10:40 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-07-2015, 10:58 PM
tkc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As another comparison point, I'm watching Maleficent on a BDP-83 tonight. With LPCM turned on, I get the crackling during the action scenes that I believe are being discussed here. When bitstreaming the DTS-HD Master Audio to a Denon AVR-989, no crackling. (Note that I have only a 4.1 setup).

Note: both audio streams are being passed by HDMI.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-24-2015, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I posted in the Maleficent Blu-Ray thread and everyone thought I was crazy.

Maleficent (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
post #15 of 17 Old 03-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This issue is still not solved on my end. But, I use HDMI from the Oppo BDP-83 to an Onkyo TX-NR 5007.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
post #16 of 17 Old 04-08-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Arrow 'Maleficent' & 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier (BR) ||| Audio issues (Analog)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
Do you always use the multichannel analog connection?
- The bass management happens in your Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player. ...And the hi-res audio decoding too.

Do you have 'Interstellar' on Blu-ray?

Last, your Yamaha receiver is an older model, without HDMI inputs and without hi-res audio decoders?
post #17 of 17 Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Possible explanation on your audio issue (distortion/crackle) when using the multichannel analog connection of your Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player.
...And from the two Blu-ray movie titles mentioned (possible clipping issue):

° http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33327633
° http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33330857
° http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33333049
° http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33337457

'Interstellar' (Blu-ray): http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...n-poll/?p=6847

<<<>>> Be aware though that by using the HDMI connection, that issue is non-existent, except with Dolby Atmos Blu-ray titles from Lionsgate Studios
(4 BR titles only).
When 'Bitstream' is selected you'll experience audio dropouts. * Solution: Select LPCM (HDMI Audio Out). ...But no Dolby Atmos audio this way (with appropriate receiver).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page