What will be the first REMASTERED UHD release? New UHD Release? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #1 of 241 Old 05-12-2015, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 670
What will be the first REMASTERED UHD release? New UHD Release?

Now that the UHD Blu-Ray spec has been finalized, I guess we'll (eventually) have another set of forums. Until then, what do you think the first REMASTERED UHD title will be: Gravity/Avatar/Star Wars (I bet episode VII will be the first ORIGINAL UHD release)?

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 241 Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Now that the UHD Blu-Ray spec has been finalized, I guess we'll (eventually) have another set of forums. Until then, what do you think the first REMASTERED UHD title will be: Gravity/Avatar/Star Wars (I bet episode VII will be the first ORIGINAL UHD release)?
Sony and WB both have a huge pile of catalog titles to release on UHDBD, whenever it hits the market. Sony will probably have the strongest set of launch titles with a wide range of genre films.
post #3 of 241 Old 05-12-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 320
The 5th Element
Woodshed likes this.
post #4 of 241 Old 05-13-2015, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Lawrence of Arabia, if Sony goes with catalog titles.
peschiNL likes this.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #5 of 241 Old 05-13-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Breaking Bad, already lots of titles in 4k on streaming
post #6 of 241 Old 05-14-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
The 5th Element

That's pretty funny....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #7 of 241 Old 05-14-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Star Wars I-III will not be remastered to 4K... It was digitally captured on 1080P cameras...

post #8 of 241 Old 05-14-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6841 Post(s)
Liked: 3415
The first Ultra HD Blu-ray release? ...That would be Ultron ... Avengers: Age of Ultron

Or, Star Wars: Episode VII

Or, Jupiter Ascending

Avatar ? Nah. ... Avatar 2 ? That, yes, maybe, if the timing is right.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
post #9 of 241 Old 05-14-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My guess... maybe some pron flick...

post #10 of 241 Old 05-14-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Add to this subject, how much you think it will cost. It probably won't be rentable...

I'm going to say 25$ after special promo discount is applied
post #11 of 241 Old 05-15-2015, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Add to this subject, how much you think it will cost. It probably won't be rentable...

I'm going to say 25$ after special promo discount is applied
not likely... My guess it will be more like $30.... That was the price when Blu-Rays first came out... DVDs were $20 then too...

post #12 of 241 Old 05-15-2015, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
None of these are 4K. I'd rather see real 4K titles like "Gone Girl" or "Elysium" or Sony catalogue in 4K.
post #13 of 241 Old 05-15-2015, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 124
first out of the gate will be sony with
the amazing spider-man 1+2
crouching tiger hidden dragon
total recall
rossi46 and jazzycat like this.

Please Visit My 11.2 3D Home Cinema Shed http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?SHARESHED=2744 as featured in home cinema choice magazine! Check out my blu-ray THX WOW! demo disc here
post #14 of 241 Old 05-15-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 126
THE ABYSS.....or is that where the remaster went?
Phrehdd, Frank714 and jazzycat like this.
post #15 of 241 Old 05-15-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Regarding catalogs, I'm curious if the studios will hold onto their "big gun" releases until the the format grows as they traditionally have done on other formats, or are they just going to let loose from the get-go? It seems to be releasing sooner would be more crucial.
post #16 of 241 Old 05-15-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Regarding catalogs, I'm curious if the studios will hold onto their "big gun" releases until the the format grows as they traditionally have done on other formats, or are they just going to let loose from the get-go? It seems to be releasing sooner would be more crucial.

The price of discs and players along with wide title availability will be key to a successful launch. If they launch the format with pricing similar to current Blu-Ray prices and with a wide selection of titles, then it can be a success. If they launch in high orbit with minimal choices and high prices like they did with DVD and the first few waves of Blu-Ray, it will crash hard.
post #17 of 241 Old 05-15-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
It better be no more expensive than current 3d bluray prices or you can kiss it goodbye.
kingwiggi likes this.
post #18 of 241 Old 05-15-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Wizard of OZ, restored by hand will probably make it look great

You can spot artifacts at 1080p in '4K mastered' BDs so a lot of them will not hold up well especially the Lowry ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Star Wars I-III will not be remastered to 4K... It was digitally captured on 1080P cameras...
The live action in Phantom Menace was recorded on film however and the old Star Wars films will definitely not be one of the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
The 5th Element
Yeah the locked in 2K CG will look great.. and you can count on a lot of people not realizing a lot of productions made after the digital age of film making are frozen at 2K especially when shot with digital cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
It better be no more expensive than current 3d bluray prices or you can kiss it goodbye.
Those are expensive...

Last edited by wuther; 05-15-2015 at 07:45 PM.
post #19 of 241 Old 05-16-2015, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Yeah the locked in 2K CG will look great.. and you can count on a lot of people not realizing a lot of productions made after the digital age of film making are frozen at 2K especially when shot with digital cameras.
Not quite sure I understand this comment; didn't they deal with something similar (but at an even lower resolution) when they did the Star Trek: Next Generation Blu-Rays?

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #20 of 241 Old 05-16-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not quite sure I understand this comment; didn't they deal with something similar (but at an even lower resolution) when they did the Star Trek: Next Generation Blu-Rays?

Every single frame of CGI - yes it did exist and was used in the show - was recreated by new hands for the HD masters. So, the original CGI was irrelevant except as a guide to go by for recreating the VFX in 2K. In the not too distant future, TNG will be released in 4K with upgraded 4K VFX.
post #21 of 241 Old 05-16-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You expect the redoing of the more demanding CG used in feature films to be cheap and easy plus the CG heavy ones? There were complaints some of the redos on STNG looked cheap.

Among the many things not realized about the digital age of filming is that it is not just VFX but eventually entire process was done at 2k even if the production was shot on film. Not to mention many things were created and altered by hand digitally for ordinary things people would not suspect was actually CG.

I know you are thinking, they are already done just render at UHD. It is in no way that simple, a good chunk of CG in films (and TV) were done by hand locked at 2k which means there is no way to just re-render them. Nor is re-rendering going to be easy, most of the software they were done on no longer exists and a lot of the companies no longer exists. Plus they will probably look different.

I am all for productions shot on film to simply scale up the CG addons because being weird I am interested in more, a lot more, then just VFX. Also by the very nature of the difficulties these will not be among the first UHD BDs just as STNG came out rather late in the BD format years.
post #22 of 241 Old 05-16-2015, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 68
George Lucas never fails to capitalize on re-releasing his films. If there's any way possible he can capitalize on 4K and force everyone to buy all his films yet again in another format, he will.
post #23 of 241 Old 05-16-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You expect the redoing of the more demanding CG used in feature films to be cheap and easy plus the CG heavy ones? There were complaints some of the redos on STNG looked cheap.

Among the many things not realized about the digital age of filming is that it is not just VFX but eventually entire process was done at 2k even if the production was shot on film. Not to mention many things were created and altered by hand digitally for ordinary things people would not suspect was actually CG.

I know you are thinking, they are already done just render at UHD. It is in no way that simple, a good chunk of CG in films (and TV) were done by hand locked at 2k which means there is no way to just re-render them. Nor is re-rendering going to be easy, most of the software they were done on no longer exists and a lot of the companies no longer exists. Plus they will probably look different.

I am all for productions shot on film to simply scale up the CG addons because being weird I am interested in more, a lot more, then just VFX. Also by the very nature of the difficulties these will not be among the first UHD BDs just as STNG came out rather late in the BD format years.
Just a silly little factoid about STNG... I taped them all on videotape back when they originally aired on TV and I edited out the commercials, and I still have all the videos. Anyway. One day my ex brought home a projector from work and we watched a couple of episodes blown up on a huge screen. In one scene Dr. Crusher was looking at Worf's blood (I think it was Worf, at any rate the blood was green), and blown up you could see the blood was actually a bunch a little white mice that had been dyed green, and the veins were something (tubes) they had constructed to make the mice run in one direction. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I saw that. I wonder if they changed that effect for the BD.

It kind of begs the argument, when they remaster all this old stuff, does it kind of ruin it? They had to be extremely creative in creating effects that looked real in a much different way than creating something digitally. In a way it makes me sad. I like some of the older techniques used in film. Miniatures, robotics, makeup, forced perspective, etc, as opposed to digitally created scenes. I also like the way stuff looks shot on film. Is it a dying art? Do you think things will continue to be shot on film, or will everything be done digitally in the future? (sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, just musing.)
Phrehdd likes this.
post #24 of 241 Old 05-16-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
The price of discs and players along with wide title availability will be key to a successful launch. If they launch the format with pricing similar to current Blu-Ray prices and with a wide selection of titles, then it can be a success. If they launch in high orbit with minimal choices and high prices like they did with DVD and the first few waves of Blu-Ray, it will crash hard.
I expect greed will take over the studio executives and they will view UHD as a third tier comprising UHDBD, BD, DVD, and price it accordingly higher in a premium tier.
I would not be suprised if titles are ~$45 at launch, and players ~$1200! Never under estimate the greed in companies/industries.
The inflated prices will be justified by paying off development costs of the new format.....
jazzycat likes this.
post #25 of 241 Old 05-16-2015, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
George Lucas never fails to capitalize on re-releasing his films. If there's any way possible he can capitalize on 4K and force everyone to buy all his films yet again in another format, he will.
Lucas has no control over Star Wars! Disney is in charge.
post #26 of 241 Old 05-16-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDdawn6 View Post
Lucas has no control over Star Wars! Disney is in charge.
OK, I had forgotten the he sold Lucasfilm to Disney. My bad. However, in the past, he certainly would have capitalized on it.
post #27 of 241 Old 05-16-2015, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, I had forgotten the he sold Lucasfilm to Disney. My bad. However, in the past, he certainly would have capitalized on it.
Fox/Lucas issued the SW films late in the eras of the DVD and BD formats so you are 0 for 2.
post #28 of 241 Old 05-16-2015, 07:19 PM

I wasn't just referring to the BD. I originally was talking about his propensity to rerelease films in as many formats as possible. I wasn't talking about BD. Not to mention all the other stuff that goes along with it, books, merchandize, etc. He's a genius at marketing. Are you denying that?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_...rs_re-releases

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/alternateversions

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_DVD_releases
post #29 of 241 Old 05-17-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wasn't just referring to the BD. I originally was talking about his propensity to rerelease films in as many formats as possible. I wasn't talking about BD. Not to mention all the other stuff that goes along with it, books, merchandize, etc. He's a genius at marketing. Are you denying that?
Yeah just keep changing your story, one day you will get it right...
post #30 of 241 Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah just keep changing your story, one day you will get it right...
Whatever. I suppose you can read minds, so you must know what I meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page