AVS Forum banner

4K Ultra Hd (UHD) Blu-ray "in the wild" Thread

48K views 985 replies 148 participants last post by  film113 
#1 ·
This thread is a place to post reports about UHD blu-rays spotted on store shelves, pre-orders arriving early, basically any news about hands-on encounters with UHD Blu-ray discs. Also, as your media arrives please post front/back pics and give us your quick impressions.

#64 ·
Regarding the UHD disks and Dolby Atmos.... it would be utterly mind-boggling for the studios to release such a premium product without ALL of the high-end audio originally included with standard bluray disks.

What could possibly compel them to make that kind of a decision? It feels unbelievably disrespectful to those of us that invest in this and bleed on the edge with them.

I'm keeping the player because I'm very impressed overall. Not including Atmos where it exists already in 1080p is simply maddening.

#66 ·
Regarding the UHD disks and Dolby Atmos.... it would be utterly mind-boggling for the studios to release such a premium product without ALL of the high-end audio originally included with standard bluray disks.

What could possibly compel them to make that kind of a decision? It feels unbelievably disrespectful to those of us that invest in this and bleed on the edge with them.

I'm keeping the player because I'm very impressed overall. Not including Atmos where it exists already in 1080p is simply maddening.
Which titles specifically are you referring to?

#67 ·
One guy. He was able to get 2 pre-release disks but was forbidden to discuss the titles. Overall he gave a good review and positive feedback. (The fine line remains as to whether the value is significant enough with 4k alone vs adding HDR and WGC).

We will all decide for ourselves shortly.

#76 ·
I've run out of explanations for anything we are seeing related to foxconnect.
I've seen proof of just about every Fox UHD release shipped (although not at the same time), and have no idea how there can be such a dis-connect between calling customer service (The Martian is not shipping until March 1) and someone actually having the disc in their hand (let alone they got a "shipping" email a couple of days ago).
I give up (and player arriving tomorrow)! :mad:

PS: and now we know thing doesn't even have a Dolby Atmos soundtrack! This will be the last UHD release I buy without immersive audio (whether it is Atmos or DTS:X).

Reactions: mry110
#89 ·

After doing some more research, there is a street date of Feb 11. Which is obviously today. The films that came in were Hitman, Wild, Exodus, Maze Runner: Scorch Trails, Fantastic 4,Kingsman, Martian. Multiple copies of each. I cant for sure say every store got a shipment, but call them and have the SKUs ready for them to check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#129 ·
After doing some more research, there is a street date of Feb 11. Which is obviously today. The films that came in were Hitman, Wild, Exodus, Maze Runner: Scorch Trails, Fantastic 4,Kingsman, Martian. Multiple copies of each. I cant for sure say every store got a shipment, but call them and have the SKUs ready for them to check.

If you are at work still, do you have access to other stores inventory? If so could you see if the store in Plymouth (Ma) got them in also? I called but the chick on the phone was ridiculously stupid..

#92 ·
I called my store back and gave them Xmen (not in stock), Fantastic 4, Exodus and Kinsmen...they had those ones in stock. They are "in the warehouse" and will be difficult to find. But they did verify what Pete said that they are in the system, can be sold since today is street date, and that they would ring up.

However, I have to go to the store and wait while they find them and they warned it could take a while....

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
#98 ·
Just got these at BB. All discs were made available to me, but I chose these.

Gonna watch Hitman and then likely sell it cheap :)

Good luck! I asked for them and they were in the back. Told they don't release til' Sunday. Manager said "sell them". No hassle. Excited to watch one tomorrow when I get home!

Attachments

#103 ·
Just went on a reconnaissance mission to Best Buy in Tustin, CA - here is what I found out:

Called my local store to see if they had any UHD Blu-ray stock - no sir!

Looked up the SKU for The Martian in the system and the gentlemen told me that the Tustin store had 11 copies - so, hop in the car and away I go.

Get to Tustin and we do the typical dance of walking all around the store - trying to “find” the movie.

Finally I gently suggest we check the back.

A software dept. stock person gets involved and says that he has seen the UHD Blu-rays but they are not on the floor yet.

The two employees go to the back and return - yes, they have 11 copies of The Martian but wait…

…we can’t sell them to you because the street date is 2/14 - of course.

So I say: “no problem, since we know that you have them can I pick out some titles, pay today, and return on Sunday (2/14) for pickup”?

The response: “maybe, you’ll have to check with customer service”

me: “sounds good, let’s do it”

Go to customer service and they cannot get this scenario to work in the Point of Sale system.

Long story short: the reason I can’t purchase the titles in store and come back, or pre-order and pick up online, is because either all, or almost all, of the physical copies - sitting in the back of the store have been pre-ordered online and are needed to fill those orders on Sunday.

Their advice: “there are typically an extra one or two copies that haven’t been pre-ordered - stop back on Sunday morning and maybe you’ll get lucky”

The hunt continues!

#105 ·
Picked up The Martian at the Cypress, TX location just outside of Houston. They had to dig through boxes in their warehouse to find it though.

#109 ·
Well, they're all crappy movies (except Kingsmen) IMO but at least something to start with. But I've seen Martian like 3-4 times and I've seen Wild twice and really don't want to sit through them again...Especially since Martian isn't Atmos...Pulled off the purchase at a KC BB with no probs. They probably also had Maze Runner, but no Life of Pi or Xmen....

Time to play!

Attachments

#116 · (Edited)

That was at the Best Buy in ..:I don't want to get anybody in trouble. PM me if you're looking in western Wisconsin or the Twin Cities

#120 ·

It's not a street date. It's the date they're supposed to be on display. Sadly it seems store associates are going based on the date on the box they were shipped in and not the actual street date.

#121 ·
The key to making it work is having the SKU. It's the only way they will know if they actually have them in store. I actually found my copies that way but had to drive a ways to get to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.