Blade Runner Ultra 4K release - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 09-09-2017, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Blade Runner Ultra 4K release

This DVD has a release date of 9/5 yet I can't find it at Best Buy, Target (online only, $36.00) or Walmart to name a few. Back ordered on Amazon

What gives. AVS gave it an excellent review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 09-09-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Not many stores are carrying it for some reason... My local Best Buy only had two copies come in. I was looking for this movie everywhere and just so happened they put it on the shelf when i was there.

TBH, i was not impressed with the video quality. It seemed softer than the original Blu-Ray release. Unfortunately, my older 4K TV does not support HDR so i can't comment on that.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #3 of 44 Old 09-10-2017, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Not many stores are carrying it for some reason... My local Best Buy only had two copies come in. I was looking for this movie everywhere and just so happened they put it on the shelf when i was there.

TBH, i was not impressed with the video quality. It seemed softer than the original Blu-Ray release. Unfortunately, my older 4K TV does not support HDR so i can't comment on that.
Well in the supplement I remember they said sometimes film grain was removed and replaced with fake grain on the FC.

post #4 of 44 Old 09-11-2017, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 280
It's pretty much not to be found anywhere. The recent events of bad weather have mucked up the distribution of mail and goods throughout the US. BDs come from West to East, so it's going to be a problem until these hurricanes are done with us.
post #5 of 44 Old 09-11-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked: 1627
Warner Bros. seems to be having a problem with putting the wrong discs in the case. The 4-disc set is supposed to include one UHD (Final Cut), one Blu-ray (Final Cut), and two DVDs (supplements). What is not supposed to be included is the prior Blu-ray that contained three older versions of the movie via seamless branching.

However, some copies have been packaged incorrectly with one UHD (Final Cut), two Blu-rays (Final Cut, then 3 older versions) and only one of the supplement DVDs.

Warner may have cut distribution of the release short until they straighten this out.

If you're impatient and already own a prior Blu-ray release with the older versions of the movie and all the supplements, Blade Runner was released in the UK with a 2-disc variant: one UHD and one Blu-ray, both the Final Cut.

Available here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runne...dp/B074SGJHCN/

or

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/blade-r.../11533442.html

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 44 Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Warner Bros. seems to be having a problem with putting the wrong discs in the case. The 4-disc set is supposed to include one UHD (Final Cut), one Blu-ray (Final Cut), and two DVDs (supplements). What is not supposed to be included is the prior Blu-ray that contained three older versions of the movie via seamless branching.

However, some copies have been packaged incorrectly with one UHD (Final Cut), two Blu-rays (Final Cut, then 3 older versions) and only one of the supplement DVDs.

Warner may have cut distribution of the release short until they straighten this out.

If you're impatient and already own a prior Blu-ray release with the older versions of the movie and all the supplements, Blade Runner was released in the UK with a 2-disc variant: one UHD and one Blu-ray, both the Final Cut.

Available here:

or

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/blade-r.../11533442.html
Mine came incorrect, but fortunately I have the 5-disc Collector's edition BD as well so I am covered on the supplements end. The video quality looks fantastic overall. Some shots are considerably grainier than others, but the real standout is the use of HDR. Completely transforms the experience over the standard BD release. The Atmos audio track is also another big win IMO. Easily the best the film has sounded (only the SACD release of the soundtrack is superior for me). I think it is a very nice upgrade over the normal 1080p blu-ray release and well worth owning for fans of the film.
post #7 of 44 Old 09-11-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
NTBH, i was not impressed with the video quality. It seemed softer than the original Blu-Ray release. Unfortunately, my older 4K TV does not support HDR so i can't comment on that.
Not that I put much stock in Blu-ray.com reviews, but their review says:

Quote:
Compared to the dated Blu-ray, Blade Runner's UHD presentation can't help but look better, but it's more than better—it's astonishing. The improvements begin with the opening logos, where the pixelated tree representing the Ladd Company unfurls across and down the screen without a hint of the flicker and aliasing that have been there on every prior version, including the 2007 Final Cut Blu-ray. The opening aerial views of 2019 Los Angeles have always been impressive, but prepare to gasp when the Tyrell Building comes into view, with each window, level and outcropping now sharply and crisply resolved. (The Blu-ray is blurry by comparison.) Throughout the film, the UHD's resolution reveals so much detail in the remarkable model work that it almost breaks the illusion of scale. If the cityscape were any clearer, you'd see that it was made of miniatures.
Also found this comparison in the forums: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1740

It's not surprising. The 2007 VC1 encode was notoriously bad, even at the time.
bigapp likes this.
post #8 of 44 Old 09-11-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I saw it in 4K, at Alamo Drafthouse. It was a bit soft overall, though there were some excellent moments of sharpness in the VFX shots that were large-format. I just chalk the lack of sharpness up to the fact that it's an 80's film and that's how they often looked.
bigapp likes this.
post #9 of 44 Old 09-13-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 510
I have Friday off ,having it in hand, tomorrow night this and a glass of wine. Sixteen feet wide Sony 5000es

Art
Jive Turkey likes this.

post #10 of 44 Old 09-15-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I got the early release of this disc from Amazon via pre-order. I have all the previous DVD and Blu-ray collector releases. I just had my basement finished and put in all Goldear speakers (Triton Ones, XXL Center Channel, SP562 Atmos, and Triton 7s rears).

This was my first disc to use on the finished basement system. Watched it on a Sony 75" 940D. First the picture is stunning. Way more clarity and detail. Next the Atmos sound is amazing. The rain scenes make you want to go get a umbrella. The cars flying by now sound like they are above you rather than just to the sides.

Well worth buying and watching.

Reggie
Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Triton Ones,/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ Triton 7s/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HR54/Roku 4K
Family Room:
Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv C61K

post #11 of 44 Old 09-15-2017, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I received my pre-order from Amazon. Can't wait to watch it.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Samsung 65KS800D - Denon AVR X4200W - Oppo UDP-203 - PS4 Pro - Aperion Intimus 6T - Aperion Intimus 6C - SVS PC-13 Ultra
post #12 of 44 Old 09-16-2017, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 52
As I understand it, the only difference between this and the 2007 multi disc BD release is the 4K Final Cut disc. The rest are the same, not even a remaster of the 2K discs.

As much as I'd like to, I'm not going to reward Warner for this. Give me just the 4K disc or give me all versions of Blade Runner in 4K. Come to think of it, this gives them two more ways to sell Blade Runner.
post #13 of 44 Old 09-16-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
As I understand it, the only difference between this and the 2007 multi disc BD release is the 4K Final Cut disc. The rest are the same, not even a remaster of the 2K discs.
Not even that. It comes with:

The 4K disc (worth the price of admission alone)
The DVD with Dangerous Days
Regular BD of the Final Cut
and then either the other supplements disc (what Warner was supposed to ship in this release)
or the disc with the alternate cuts (what most people seem to be receiving)

Not both.
post #14 of 44 Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Give me just the 4K disc or give me all versions of Blade Runner in 4K.
The UK edition is cheaper and just 2 discs: one UHD and one Blu-ray (both The Final Cut).

Josh Z

post #15 of 44 Old 09-18-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched the full film last night via a Xbox One S connected to a 65" LG C7 OLED.

I think it's a rather large upgrade over the 2007 Blu-ray. There's loads of ultra, ultra fine grain that was near completely scrubbed away on the Blu-ray, either by an extra grain removal process to assist with the low-bitrate encoding, or just VC1's tendency to smooth over the image, or a combination of both.

The new availability of the original 4K scan film grain reveals multiple extra layers of fine detail and crispness, a majority that should have been on the Blu-ray with a proper release, so we get that missing 1080p detail back and then some extra thanks to the 4K resolution. Some of the model shots, like the opening pan up the Tyrell building, are just mind-blowingly sharp (I believe those shots were scanned at 6K) and really impressive how well quality model work can look 35 years later.

The "HDR-ness" looks conservatively applied, just an extra touch to the richness of the colors, and better contrast, especially in interior shots, nothing over the top. No noticeable banding thanks to 10-bit video.

I don't have an Atmos set, so the only TrueHD 7.1 core was played, and I didn't directly compare it to the TrueHD 5.1 Blu-ray release, but it sounded wonderful. Really a great mix.

It's not a perfect release though, there appears to be some master-level DNR applied to a handful of scenes. One shot will look perfectly untouched, then in the next shot there will be some mushy grain moving around in blobby shapes, then back to untouched grain in the very next shot. The encoding appears to be solid, I might have seen it struggle in a few shots, but I can't currently take screenshots of 4K Blu-rays for further analysis.

Here's a terrible iPhone shot to get an idea of how nice the grain looks:

Definitely recommended overall, has all the missing image quality the Blu-ray should have had, and then some.
tanis38 likes this.
post #16 of 44 Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Still wish they had gone to the color timing of the original film. So many places colors are just destroyed. As an example, there is no color red in the entire film at all, orange is the closest it gets. The green /teal overlay just saddens me.

Art

post #17 of 44 Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Still wish they had gone to the color timing of the original film. So many places colors are just destroyed. As an example, there is no color red in the entire film at all, orange is the closest it gets. The green /teal overlay just saddens me.

Art
Agreed. This release was the perfect opportunity to slightly "unteal" the image, but Warner always puts in the absolute minimal effort.
post #18 of 44 Old 09-21-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post
Agreed. This release was the perfect opportunity to slightly "unteal" the image, but Warner always puts in the absolute minimal effort.
I doubt it has anything to do with Warner. Ridley Scott is a huge proponent of teal-and-orange.

Josh Z

post #19 of 44 Old 09-22-2017, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hmmm...when watching the movie I noticed the Coca Cola signs were more orange than red and I attributed it to my messing around with my pj color prior to watching (although everything else looked correct). Is it the case that even those signs really are more orange than red by grading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Art
post #20 of 44 Old 09-22-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
Hmmm...when watching the movie I noticed the Coca Cola signs were more orange than red and I attributed it to my messing around with my pj color prior to watching (although everything else looked correct). Is it the case that even those signs really are more orange than red by grading?
If you have the prior Blu-ray edition that came with the three older cuts of the movie (or your UHD had that disc packaged with it by mistake, as many have), try watching one or more of those older cuts to see what color the signs are.

I think this is really a grading issue, as Ridley Scott loves the teal-and-orange look and has retroactively imposed it onto several of his other movies (including Alien). But the older versions of Blade Runner were not re-graded. So if you can't get red out of them either, then it may be a calibration issue with your display.

Josh Z

post #21 of 44 Old 09-24-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
If you have the prior Blu-ray edition that came with the three older cuts of the movie (or your UHD had that disc packaged with it by mistake, as many have), try watching one or more of those older cuts to see what color the signs are.

I think this is really a grading issue, as Ridley Scott loves the teal-and-orange look and has retroactively imposed it onto several of his other movies (including Alien). But the older versions of Blade Runner were not re-graded. So if you can't get red out of them either, then it may be a calibration issue with your display.

So right ! Unfortunately, it shows so blatantly in Rachael's lipstick being orange instead of red , skin that used to look so beautiful is now as you see the capture above, signs such as TWA and Coca Cola which we know are red are now also orange. Of course, if you pound teal/green into everything it's not just red that suffers.

Art

post #22 of 44 Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 528
The first one is a shot of the Coca Cola sign from the Criterion LD for JZ. The second one is from the UHD.
Please excuse the iPad photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.JPG (428.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.JPG (347.4 KB, 128 views)

HT, Mitsubishi HC6500, 106" screen, Vizio P50-C1, Oppo BDP-103, Sony UBP X800, Panasonic LX-1000U, Pioneer Elite CLD-95, Faroudja NRS, DirecTV H21-100, PS3, Pioneer Elite SC-85, Def Tech; SM 450, CLR 2002, BP2X, Klipsch KSB 1.1(X4), Pro Sub 100, Polk PSW125
Old School, Sony PS-5500->Denon 103r->AU-320 SUT, Dual 1219->Shure M91ED, Kyocera DA-610cx, Realistic STD-2000D, Polk Monitor 10A
post #23 of 44 Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
The first one is a shot of the Coca Cola sign from the Criterion LD for JZ. The second one is from the UHD.
Please excuse the iPad photos.
Laserdisc color really can't be trusted. It was encoded as Composite Video and is highly dependent on the comb filter in either the LD player (if using S-video) or the display (if using Composite). Almost no Laserdisc players had good comb filters built-in, and today's displays treat Composite as an afterthought.

Red was especially problematic for Laserdisc to produce correctly. Many video transfer technicians would reduce the saturation in reds or skew them towards orange in an attempt to reduce chroma noise.

A more valid comparison is the theatrical cut Blu-ray vs. the Final Cut. The theatrical cut was not given a teal-and-orange makeover like the Final Cut was.

Josh Z

post #24 of 44 Old 09-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 528
I run my LDs through a Faroudja Picture Plus NR Series processor. Works pretty good and can be had on the cheap.

OK, the first shot is the Theatrical Cut and the second is the UHD.

Once again, please excuse my lack of photography skills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	2288136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	2288138  

HT, Mitsubishi HC6500, 106" screen, Vizio P50-C1, Oppo BDP-103, Sony UBP X800, Panasonic LX-1000U, Pioneer Elite CLD-95, Faroudja NRS, DirecTV H21-100, PS3, Pioneer Elite SC-85, Def Tech; SM 450, CLR 2002, BP2X, Klipsch KSB 1.1(X4), Pro Sub 100, Polk PSW125
Old School, Sony PS-5500->Denon 103r->AU-320 SUT, Dual 1219->Shure M91ED, Kyocera DA-610cx, Realistic STD-2000D, Polk Monitor 10A
post #25 of 44 Old 09-29-2017, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
This new release is like watching an entirely new movie. I love this disc.
post #26 of 44 Old 09-30-2017, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

The good news is if you take the hue control and run it down into red 20% or so the color almost looks as good as the '92 directors cut. At least red lipstick isn't orange

You are right though it does look incredible otherwise.

Art

post #27 of 44 Old 10-09-2017, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 255
This appears to be sold out and only selling for more than 60 bucks from resellers
post #28 of 44 Old 10-09-2017, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Defective Disc?

I saw the Final Cut 4K at a local Best Buy and grabbed it on the spot. Unfortunately, it has two points in the movie where the image freezes, stutters, and then usually recovers and keeps going. The first point is during the photo zoom scene early in the movie, the second is later (I forget the actual point). I looked at the disc surface and don't see any obvious signs of damage.

I's using an Oppo 203 and all other 4K dics I've tried play without issue. If I rerun over the problem points in the BR 4K, the freeze/stutter is not always the at the same frame, or stutters in the same way. It does seem like a disc issue, but I don't see any macro blocking or compression artifacts that usually go along with damaged discs (most of the damaged discs I've encountered were old Netflix mail order rentals - what's with people that treat these things like drink coasters?). Too bad I can't exchange it for a different one until more are in stock...
post #29 of 44 Old 10-09-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD Paradigm View Post
I saw the Final Cut 4K at a local Best Buy and grabbed it on the spot. Unfortunately, it has two points in the movie where the image freezes, stutters, and then usually recovers and keeps going. The first point is during the photo zoom scene early in the movie, the second is later (I forget the actual point). I looked at the disc surface and don't see any obvious signs of damage.

I's using an Oppo 203 and all other 4K dics I've tried play without issue. If I rerun over the problem points in the BR 4K, the freeze/stutter is not always the at the same frame, or stutters in the same way. It does seem like a disc issue, but I don't see any macro blocking or compression artifacts that usually go along with damaged discs (most of the damaged discs I've encountered were old Netflix mail order rentals - what's with people that treat these things like drink coasters?). Too bad I can't exchange it for a different one until more are in stock...
I had that happen when Rachael and Deckard go to his apartment. The disc appeared fine, although there were a couple of what I would have termed very minor, innocuous finger prints. I cleaned them and otherwise wiped the rest of the disc with a microfiber cloth. I backed up, and it played through to the end w/o issue.

My player is a Sony UBPX-800, which is known to have its share if lock-ups so it is impossible to know wherein lies the problem.

#JB17
post #30 of 44 Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 303
You can tell the supplemental discs were from that big box set that came in that cheesy voight-kampf case... The discs are numbered the same way as the discs in that set... I guess Warner did not sell too much of that expensive box set...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page