• 1 Post By roland6465

post #1 of 23 Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Do You Upgrade? Or Not

I'm a collector and have a huge library of tv shows on DVD & Blu-Ray as well as movies that I consider keepers. I have always upgraded my movies(and shows I.E. Dexter to BD) after buying the DVD's before the Blu-Rays where released. Now I have always wanted to watch stuff in the highest quality so it's painful to watch a DVD now unless there isn't any BD. I've had 4K for a while now and that's all I've been buying unless it's not out in 4K and than I buy Blu-Ray of course. I've been very happy with BD quality and I've decided that I can't(don't have the energy/burnt out) to continue to replace my collection yet again with a new format as I've done it with all my VHS-DVD-BD. So it's 4K going forward on all new releases but not backwards, with exception of Star Wars and the Back To The Future trilogy, maybe the Indiana Jones(maybe).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-15-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozin View Post
So it's 4K going forward on all new releases but not backwards, with exception of Star Wars and the Back To The Future trilogy, maybe the Indiana Jones(maybe).
At most, I think I have ~600 movies total (DVD and Blu-ray), so I'm not a "collector" in the sense of needing to own every title. Far from it, really. I'm trying to downsize a bit, actually. Like it was with Blu-ray before it, I only upgrade to UHD if:

1. It's a movie that I will watch repeatedly
2. The price is right (under $20 for Blu-ray/DVD combo, under $25 for UHD/Blu-ray combo)
3. It's a new/better transfer with easily noticeable improvements to picture quality

That said, my collection of UHD Blu-ray movies is very small. The only non-true-4K-DI-based movies I have are Guardians of the Galaxy (too awesome above and beyond the Blu-ray not to buy) and The Martian (launch title, had to check it out). I also just pre-ordered Serenity, even though it's 2K, but I will buy every version of that series/movie because I like it a lot...
post #3 of 23 Old 09-15-2017, 05:56 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3396 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
Everyone gets off the bus somewhere, and Blu-ray is my stop.

My tiny little viewing area and my interest in deep catalog titles makes UHD much less important to me than to others.

I still see a vast amount of DVD simply because there are old films that will never be available otherwise. Often the sources are in such poor shape that DVD is good enough.

It's a great time to be a collector.

-Bill
KramerTC and Al Kuenster like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    

post #4 of 23 Old 09-15-2017, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's all true. I'm a collector to a point. The titles I buy I actually have to want. I'm really getting into Scream Factory & Shout Select titles lately and 4K for all new movies but I try not to blind buy although it worked out well for me on True Blood & Breaking Bad. I also don't buy all titles. I know collectors that do buy all as well as having multiple copies such as Best Buy steel book, regular edition, 3D copy, Target exclusive etc,etc. that's crazy but some are into it.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-15-2017, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm also in the process of purging my DVD's. It's time to get rid of all my duplicates that I have on BD. I've even got some Blu-Ray duplicates to get rid of including some one offs like Lethal Weapon 1 & 2 BD as they released 3,4 in a set together with 1,2 again. Then there is the matter of my 30+ HD-DVD's that I have no player to play them on. I should have bought a spare player shortly after the format war ended and they were dirt cheap but no. Plus my complete sets of Knight Rider & Miami Vice on DVD since I now own the Blu-Rays. It's all a work in progress.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-16-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
1. It's a movie that I will watch repeatedly
2. The price is right (under $20 for Blu-ray/DVD combo, under $25 for UHD/Blu-ray combo)
3. It's a new/better transfer with easily noticeable improvements to picture quality
Pretty close to my criteria. I spent $27 for Bladerunner, but the upgrade in PQ and AQ on that was insane, and it's one of my top 5 movies.

Some others, like T2 were easy as I only had that one on DVD and it was $17.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have about 600 blurays , 400 DVDs and 20 4K discs- got me a Samsung 65 KS8000 (to replace a 8 year old Samsung LCD) and I have the panasonic DMP-UB900 player (I've had a Oppo 103D for over 2 years now)....so I guess I'm a junkie! I enjoy my movie collection a lot and I have purchased blurays and even 4k discs I could have done without! I read reviews here and elsewhere to get the best discs (Lucy, Guardians 2, Blade Runner etc)and I confess that maybe not everyone has the same eyesight! some 4Ks are not that much better than the blurays (looking at you Oblivion! one of my favourite movies!)- SOme reviewers must have better equipment to see the big picture quality improvements they write about-I hope is not their personal bias influencing their eyes!
I sit about 11ft from my TV ( don't want to move my sofa any closer) and at 50 years old I think my eyesight will not get any better! but overall I love my new TV-my Oppo with darbee with the Samsung 4k tv really makes blurays shine! and I confess I do use the HDR+ setting a bit but this is it...Don't regret the new TV at all...but some of the discs are not a huge improvement-maybe in a few years whne movies are shot in REAL 4K. The 4K consortium has done a good marketing job and got me hooked but I will be more selective.. I need a therapy group! As many here have said, only if the existent bluray is deficient and the 4K offers a substantial upgrade (but I confess I don't always see it!)...my DVDs will be replaced if possible-many movies may never even make it to bluray-oldies and foreign movies-never mind 4K!
but this is an amazing time to be a movie buff! always wished to have a small home cinema and I have one for a reasonable amount of money...! I wish I could rip all these movies (legally purchased!) and have a huge digital collection- at almost full resolution...! yep...got greedy there!

cheers!

Samsung UN65KS8000 SUHD Quantum Dot LED 4K TV
Panny DMP-UB900 4k player & OPPO 103D-
Marantz SR7008 with Paradigm speakers: Monitor 7 v.6 for fronts, CC-390 v.6centre, Micros v.4 for surrounds and Height speakers. SVS- PC12 NSD sub.
Vintage TASCAM 112 MKII tape deck & Vintage JVC CD player
post #8 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 51
My own DVD/Blu-ray collection has been in a state of near-constant flux for years. I've mostly been replacing old anime titles on DVD with their Blu-ray equivalents; I don't often do that for live-action movies nowadays because I've replaced most of them with Blu-ray versions by now. (I also have a small selection of HD-DVDs which I have long since replaced with Blu-ray versions, but I still have the original discs, not knowing where to send them.) All my new material is on Blu-ray except for certain anime titles that aren't being made that way (and may never be at this rate, anyway). I can't afford to upgrade to Ultra HD yet because of the cost factors, and even then I may not replace everything with 4K versions, as it's just too much of a problem to face financially. (I do have one title in 4K, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which came with the Best Buy Steelbook that I got for the 3D version, but it may be one of the random defective copies.) So I do what I can when I'm able to, with my library.

post #9 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Then there is the matter of my 30+ HD-DVD's that I have no player to play them on. I should have bought a spare player shortly after the format war ended and they were dirt cheap but no.
Many HD-DVD were subsequently released on Bluray, but some were better in HD-DVD guise. If you can work out which ones were better in your collection to keep and if you can find an old Xbox HD-DVD drive or an old LG BDROM drive with HD-DVD support, there are tools available to convert the disc to a more readily playable form to continue to be able to enjoy the material you purchased the rights to see.

What really concerns me is the amount of material going out of print and becoming rare and expensive to acquire or not even making it to a released video medium. I consider every movie that has been made is an artwork that should be preserved and made available to the public as it has been paid for by society, through copyright, to enrich society (not simply to enrich the copyright owners).

Last edited by IanD; 09-18-2017 at 12:39 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Everything new is 4k, double dip I rely on reviews here or elsewhere before I pull the trigger. I am however double dipping City Of Industry BD release because I like the movie and Im hopeful it will be better.

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #11 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm going to look for a cheap HD-DVD player or add on. I did purchase some of my titles on BD but not all.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I also really don't want to purchase DVD anymore unless I absolutely have to with an old tv show that I want so I'm thinking of buying the new Apple TV gen 5 and purchasing shows like Ray Donovan in HD from season 4 on as showtime has dropped the BD going forward. This will allow me to watch the first 3 seasons on BD and the rest of the seasons in HD(maybe even 4K the way Apple is talking) on my Apple TV. Same with Halt & Catch Fire and a few other shows. I'll by BD/4K BD when I can and Apple TV when disc format isn't at least HD.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
What really concerns me is the amount of material going out of print and becoming rare and expensive to acquire or not even making it to a released video medium. I consider every movie that has been made is an artwork that should be preserved and made available to the public as it has been paid for by society, through copyright, to enrich society (not simply to enrich the copyright owners).
What material is going out of print?
post #14 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 04:26 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3396 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
What material is going out of print?
They keep a Blu-ray list at: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=257543

-Bill
Frank714 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #15 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 3
This is such a good question . One more format change and I think I'll snap lol .
Luckily I don't have a huge collection of DVD and blue rays , maybe 80 combined .
The price for 4K sure seems serial
I was just in the process of upgrading my home theatre to 4K , and was thinking that I'll just buy shows with really good effects that I can justify buying in 4K .
Was going to buy an Oppo 25 player , as I believe it's up-converting and high end dac's may help with BD .

I'm almost thinking it's to early to jump on the 4K bandwagon though , as I keep on hearing of issues with oled flat screens and receivers .
post #16 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In case anyone is interested here is my collection. http://blackloz.filmaf.com/owned?rc=1
post #17 of 23 Old 09-19-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
A big chunk of those titles went to other labels rather then OOP.
post #18 of 23 Old 09-20-2017, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 74
My wife is the house accountant, and the deal we have is this- New releases can be bought in UHD. if we own the BRD already, no upgrade. Movies we love that we only have on DVD can be double-dipped to upgrade to UHD.

I am fine with the arrangement, as my combination of Oppo 203 and Epson 6040 do a great job with Blu-rays.
Quicksilv3r likes this.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-21-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 509
I have about 1600 movies in my Kaleidescape, Blu Rays and DVDs in region 2 and even some HDDVDs that are better than the Blu Ray version (eg The Sting, Apollo 13) I will always get the next better format if it is a film I love and I know I will watch it again perhaps several times,otherwise no. I see Serenity and Apollo 13 are coming on UHD Blu Ray so no doubt I will buy these.

Art

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 09-21-2017 at 07:28 AM.
post #20 of 23 Old 09-21-2017, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
My wife is the house accountant, and the deal we have is this- New releases can be bought in UHD. if we own the BRD already, no upgrade. Movies we love that we only have on DVD can be double-dipped to upgrade to UHD.

I am fine with the arrangement, as my combination of Oppo 203 and Epson 6040 do a great job with Blu-rays.
It's amazing how wives work hahaha Mine is the exact same. I tried to order Terminator 2 in 4K the other day, and we share our amazon account, and she saw that I preordered it, and she gave me grief about it as I do have the VHS (which I won't toss), DVD and Bluray with the extended cut. I plead my case as it is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I was allowed to keep the preorder. But like your wife, unless it's a MUST have, if it's in Bluray already, no need to upgrade to 4K

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #21 of 23 Old 09-21-2017, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
I'm a collector and have a huge library of tv shows on DVD & Blu-Ray as well as movies that I consider keepers. I have always upgraded my movies(and shows I.E. Dexter to BD) after buying the DVD's before the Blu-Rays where released. Now I have always wanted to watch stuff in the highest quality so it's painful to watch a DVD now unless there isn't any BD. I've had 4K for a while now and that's all I've been buying unless it's not out in 4K and than I buy Blu-Ray of course. I've been very happy with BD quality and I've decided that I can't(don't have the energy/burnt out) to continue to replace my collection yet again with a new format as I've done it with all my VHS-DVD-BD. So it's 4K going forward on all new releases but not backwards, with exception of Star Wars and the Back To The Future trilogy, maybe the Indiana Jones(maybe).
I rarely upgrade to be honest. I am an avid collector, of movies I want to see so I do not buy everything, that being said my collection is somewhere in the range or 1,100 to 1,500 give or take spread across DVD BR and UHD. Honestly I do not double dip often my rule which seems to be the same as others, is I only rebuy a movie if it is a better copy that the one I own i.e special directors cut or something along those lines. DVD quality doesn't bother me so much, although I do have a copy of Suicide Club that is a GOD AWFUL VHS transfer that is pretty much unwatchable to me. There are a few movies I have bought numerous times though. Over the years I have owned I think 6 copies of Akira, VHS, DVD (both dubs), DVD special edition, BR and 30th Anniversary BR and I have owned multiple copies of Ghost in the Shell 3 I think. Other than that I haven't double dipped. I do by %95 of my movies on BR but I have no problem buying a DVD version, but my buying options are limited since my favorite store closed, Hasting's, so I am left with Best Buy, Target and or Walmart, but it is normally Best Buy since I can get in and out quicker and they only have a VERY small selection of anything other than BR titles.
post #22 of 23 Old 10-09-2017, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I will upgrade if I or my wife really love the movie and the movie is visually stunning. If the picture quality is low or only slightly improved on the better media I will not bother. I will not buy a BR or 4K movie for over $15 and DVD's need to be down to about $7 before I will buy them. There are a few exceptions for movies that I or my wife love but otherwise that's it. I will upgrade if the opportunity presents itself at an estate sale or garage sale. I currently live in Georgia and there is not much to do in this state so I go to estate sales with my wife. If we find a movie we like at one and the disk appears to be in excellent condition we sometimes will upgrade formats even if it's not a favorite. Of course, at these places we don't pay more than $3 for a DVD, $5 for a blu ray... At those prices it's easy enough to justify an upgrade.

Darenwh

Just getting started. Hope to have some decent equipment within a year or two.
post #23 of 23 Old 10-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
It's amazing how wives work hahaha Mine is the exact same. I tried to order Terminator 2 in 4K the other day, and we share our amazon account, and she saw that I preordered it, and she gave me grief about it as I do have the VHS (which I won't toss), DVD and Bluray with the extended cut. I plead my case as it is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I was allowed to keep the preorder. But like your wife, unless it's a MUST have, if it's in Bluray already, no need to upgrade to 4K
I just took a smoke break at halftime of the NC State football game I DVR'd while I was a t work and preordered the Apollo 13 UHD disc (to upgrade from DVD) from Amazon, using rewards "cash" that we get through our Amazon Visa. The total cost, including Prime shipping was $0.00, but since the confirmation goes to her email, I just had to give a 5 minute explanation as to why it was a good "purchase", and had to throw her policy back at her.

I love the girl to death, been married 20 years, but there's always something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page