Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K Bluray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By movienutt
  • 1 Post By movienutt
  • 1 Post By Mark Booth

post #1 of 20 Old 09-16-2017, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K Bluray

Hi everyone. I know this title is being released Sept 19. I've also ordered it, with expectations that it'll be great in 4K. One of my favorite movies. It's odd that I can't find a single review of the the 4K bluray version of this movie online. If anyone can point me to one or two, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
vipervick likes this.

Last edited by movienutt; 09-21-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-17-2017, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by movienutt View Post
Hi everyone. I know this title is being released Sept 19. I've also ordered it, with expectations that it'll be great in 4K. One of my favorite movies. It's odd that I can't find a single review of the the 4K bluray version of this movie online. If anyone can point me to one or two, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Mike
Saw the remaster in an AMC Dolby Cinema auditorium a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed, many soft focus shots. And I have read people say what do you expect for a movie that old? I expect a lot because much older movies look fantastic such as Elvis, Hitchcock such as North by Northwest and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World on Blu-ray, some amazing transfers.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-18-2017, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Saw the remaster in an AMC Dolby Cinema auditorium a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed, many soft focus shots. And I have read people say what do you expect for a movie that old? I expect a lot because much older movies look fantastic such as Elvis, Hitchcock such as North by Northwest and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World on Blu-ray, some amazing transfers.
Those were all shot on large format film.

Close Encounters was shot on 35mm stock that was from the 70's that didn't have the exposure latitude of newer stocks for night shots. Further, many studios were mastering on cheaper film stocks that weren't meant to be used for mastering to save money. The result is, there are a lot of grainy and soft masters from that era. Add to that all the FX shots which, while shot at least partially in 70mm, required a lot of layering of film to achieve them.

The result? A lot of 70's movies had a good deal of softness to them. To make matters worse, some directors liked the look and deliberately induced the softness. It's kind of a 70's trademark.

post #4 of 20 Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Comparisons between 2007 and 2017 Blu-rays: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...nd_blu-ray.htm

Contrast looks much better
post #5 of 20 Old 09-18-2017, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post
Comparisons between 2007 and 2017 Blu-rays: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...nd_blu-ray.htm

Contrast looks much better
But, as WynsWrld98 pointed out - it's still soft and you can't make that better without artificial sharpening, which would look terrible.

Look at the image with the newspaper. Nothing is sharp in either image at all.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-18-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 355
At least according to the screenshots, two things are evident: better contrast and better grain resolve. Looks like a winner!
post #7 of 20 Old 09-18-2017, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I ordered from best buy last week, it said it was out for delivery tonight, but won't get a chance to view it until probably Wednesday or Thursday as I'm at a work conference for until Wednesday afternoon

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #8 of 20 Old 09-18-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
But, as WynsWrld98 pointed out - it's still soft and you can't make that better without artificial sharpening, which would look terrible.

Look at the image with the newspaper. Nothing is sharp in either image at all.
Yep, clearly a limitation of the lens/camera/filmstock/focus used at the time. If a brand new 4K scan doesn't reveal any new detail, nothing will.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-21-2017, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Finally found a review of the 4K BluRay over at the digital Bits.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/c...h-gift-uhd-brd

Mike

[mod note: Fixed link]
nathanddrews likes this.

Last edited by PooperScooper; 09-22-2017 at 03:48 AM.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Sounds like there's nothing to worry about on the detail front.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-22-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'd be very interested to know if the on-screen picture quality of the 4K BD, played on a 4K player, would look better than the 1080p BD, played from the same player, when output to a high-quality 1080p display, be it a projector or TV. I fully realize that the player will be outputting a 1080p signal on both cases.

Thanks.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The black crush on the new disc is awful, IMO.

Thankfully, the UHD release isn't affected and looks STUNNING!
post #13 of 20 Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post
The black crush on the new disc is awful, IMO.

Thankfully, the UHD release isn't affected and looks STUNNING!
I already have the older 1080p BD of Close Encounters, but I'm considering buying the 4K disk that also has included the 2017. If either of those disks can put on a 1080p display an image that is superior to that of the old BD, I'll spring. To help me decide, I have two questions for you.

1. On exactly what disk and what display is the black crush awful?

2. Would you be kind enough to connect your 4K player to a 1080p display, play the 4K disk, and compare what you see on the 1080p display versus the 1080p BD on the 1080p display versus what you see on the 4K display when playing the 4K disk?

Thanks.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-02-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Last night, I saw the film for the first time, in a real IMAX theater. It really shows it's age and the limitations of the filming techniques and technology of the times. One thing that is very apparent is the lack of focus in shots, which will drive some of you mad, but it was done that way and is a product of the times. The added grain looked a lot like heavy noise, but overall, the restored picture quality was in line with productions of that time and I don't think it could possibly look any better, except with the addition of HDR, which is not a thing that these classic re-releases are getting in the cinemas. The sound was bombastic when called into action and otherwise subtle and appropriate when not. My advice is to just buy it and take it for what it is, warts and all. It simply won't get any better without a Dolby Vision HDR grade.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 68
This morning I pulled 8 still frames from the 2007 30th Anniversary release and the 2017 40th Anniversary release (both standard Blu-ray, NOT 4K). Here they are in screenshot comparison:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comp...9317/picture:4

Some folks feel the new version is "revisionist" in that the amplified lighting effects (spaceships) aren't what they remember from seeing the film in the theater. Personally, I think they are just "remembering" what they've seen on home video for the last 30 years.

Some folks feel the blacks are crushed on the new version. Personally, I feel the areas that are darker are SUPPOSED to be darker. The 2007 version is far too bright. Image #5 (that I linked) is a good example of that.

The 2007 version has a red push. Look at the phone handset in Roy's hand in image #4 . It's not supposed to have a red tint. Ditto for his Tower in the background. I don't recall seeing a red light in Roy's living room.

Granted, the 2007 version is sharper. But I believe artificially so. I watched the entire 2017 standard Blu-ray in our garage theater on Sunday (1080p projector) and it NEVER felt too soft or out of focus. It looked like film, not video.

I GREATLY prefer the look of the 2017 remaster (the 4K version is even better still). The 2007 standard Blu-ray is inferior to my eyes. YMMV.

Mark
nathanddrews likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-03-2017, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2469 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Some folks feel the blacks are crushed on the new version. Personally, I feel the areas that are darker are SUPPOSED to be darker. The 2007 version is far too bright. Image #5 (that I linked) is a good example of that.
I might agree that the old disc is too bright in that shot, but the new one also definitely suffers black crush. Look at the trees on the left or Melinda Dillon's jeans. It makes no sense for them to be swallowed in darkness like that on what is clearly a sunny day.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #17 of 20 Old 10-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I might agree that the old disc is too bright in that shot, but the new one also definitely suffers black crush. Look at the trees on the left or Melinda Dillon's jeans. It makes no sense for them to be swallowed in darkness like that on what is clearly a sunny day.
He's got a point there!
post #18 of 20 Old 10-03-2017, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Look at the shadows cast by the fence posts. They fall toward the camera not away from the camera, which means Jillian and Roy are facing into the sun. A sun in that position would tend to make the visible side of the trees more in shadow. It would also make the visible side of Devil's Tower in shadow, particularly the right side (based on the angle of the shadows). And that's exactly what we have with the 2017 version's image.

Mark
post #19 of 20 Old 10-04-2017, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2469 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Look at the shadows cast by the fence posts. They fall toward the camera not away from the camera, which means Jillian and Roy are facing into the sun. A sun in that position would tend to make the visible side of the trees more in shadow. It would also make the visible side of Devil's Tower in shadow, particularly the right side (based on the angle of the shadows). And that's exactly what we have with the 2017 version's image.
You've watched the disc and I haven't, so I'm not going to argue it. From that one screencap, though, it looks more like contrast crush than a real shadow to me.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #20 of 20 Old 10-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Doesn't sound like this one is worth picking up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page