Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 43 Old 02-27-2006, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Didn't see this posted here yet, so here's a cut/paste.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Targets May 23 for Launch of First Blu-Ray Disc Titles
Press release - Monday February 27, 6:24 pm ET

Underworld Evolution Set for Day and Date Release With DVD - Variety of Content Will Be Available to Support Initial BD Products at Retail -

CULVER CITY, Calif., Feb. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) is targeting May 23 to deliver the first wave of Blu-ray Disc (BD) titles at retail, it was announced today. Delivery will coincide with the launch that day of the first commercially available BD player from Samsung Electronics, which will be followed shortly by BD players from Pioneer and Sony along with a BD compatible VAIO PC from Sony.

SPHE and MGM Home Entertainment will first release eight BD titles, with another eight following shortly June 13. Benjamin S. Feingold, president, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, made the announcement.

The first Blu-ray Disc titles from SPHE and MGM Home Entertainment will include: 50 First Dates, The Fifth Element, Hitch, House of Flying Daggers, A Knight's Tale, The Last Waltz (MGM), Resident Evil Apocalypse and XXX.

BD titles streeting June 13 include: Kung Fu Hustle, Legends of the Fall, Robocop (MGM), Stealth, Species (MGM), SWAT and Terminator (MGM). Underworld Evolution will debut in early Summer day and date with the DVD.

"We are primed to ensure that a variety of Blu-ray Disc content is available at retail to support the introduction of the first BD players from Samsung Electronics and Pioneer, as well as the first BD player and compatible VAIO computer from Sony," said Mr. Feingold. "Sony Pictures further intends to provide additional titles to coincide with the launch of BD products from other manufacturers. We're thrilled that the Blu-ray Disc era is about to begin."

Outstanding CE products:

"As a charter member of the Blu-Ray Disc Association (BDA), Samsung Electronics is proud to introduce the first commercially available Blu-ray Disc player, BD-P1000, to Best Buy, Circuit City and electronic specialty store consumers on May 23," said Jim Sanduski, senior vice president of marketing for Samsung Electronics America. "We're extremely pleased to join Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in providing an outstanding high definition experience that features the next generation optical disc format."

"Pioneer is thrilled to offer the BDP-HD1, our first Blu-ray Disc player, which will allow consumers to purchase high definition content to watch in the comfort of their own homes," said Sam Ohdate, president of home entertainment for Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. "With exciting new titles like these being released by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and other studios, we're confident Blu-ray disc will become the next generation in home entertainment."

"Our BD enabled VAIO PCs incorporate the very best and latest technology to help consumers unleash their creativity and experience entertainment in new, exciting ways," said Mike Abary, vice president of VAIO product marketing in the U.S. "We're eagerly looking forward to having engaging Blu-ray content available that really takes advantage of the performance these PCs can achieve."

"The first Blu-ray Disc titles from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment mark a significant milestone in the BD revolution of home entertainment" said Philip Abram, vice president of marketing for Sony Electronics' Home Products Division. "We are excited about the upcoming launch of the BDP-S1 Blu-ray Disc player and with engaging content from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, consumers are in for a spectacular high-definition experience."

About Blu-ray Disc:

The Blu-ray Disc format provides nearly five times more data storage than DVD, with an unprecedented 25 GB (single-layer) and 50 GB (dual-layer) of capacity. Blu-ray Disc players are backward compatible with other disc formats and deliver the highest quality high-definition (HD) entertainment, while providing a secure playback environment through the use of the most advanced copy protection available.

Blu-ray Disc was created to support the accelerating convergence between consumer electronics and information technology. The platform can also support numerous film, music, computer and game applications. Sony Computer Entertainment recently announced plans to utilize BD-ROM technology in their next-generation PlayStation 3 system.

Blu-ray is supported by more than 170 leading hardware and software manufacturers, including the leading innovators in the CE and IT industries.

About Sony Pictures Home Entertainment:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is a division of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. Sony Pictures Entertainment's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; digital content creation and distribution; worldwide channel investments; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of filmed entertainment in 67 countries. Information on Sony Pictures Entertainment and Blu-ray can be found on the World Wide Web at www.sonypictures.com/bluray.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 02-27-2006, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent news!
post #3 of 43 Old 02-27-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Lions Gate has also made its official announcement for May 23rd:

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Feb. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Lionsgate
(NYSE: LGF; Toronto), the leading independent filmed entertainment company,
today announced plans to release 10 titles on the next-generation
high-definition Blu-ray Disc (BD) to coincide with the arrival of the first
commercially offered BD players in stores. The first wave, available at
retail on May 23, will include CRASH and LORD OF WAR, priced at a $39.99 SRP,
and THE PUNISHER, SAW and TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY, marked at a $29.99 SRP.
The second wave with five additional titles will follow shortly thereafter
with a June/July date still to be determined. These BD titles include
RESERVOIR DOGS, TOTAL RECALL, STARGATE and FRANK HERBERT'S DUNE priced at
$29.99, while THE DEVIL'S REJECTS will be available at a $39.99 SRP. The
announcement was made by Lionsgate President Steve Beeks.

"There has never been a home entertainment experience available to mass
audiences like Blu-ray, and Lionsgate is pleased to be providing some of our
top-line product at launch for consumers to enjoy," said Beeks. "As a
company, we have always been at the forefront in utilizing technology to offer
consumers the best viewing experience. Watching a film in your living room is
about to radically change forever and we can't wait to maximize Blu-ray's
technological capabilities and see for ourselves how far we can take the home
movie-watching experience."

Lionsgate noted that Blu-ray is one of many digital technological advances
that are expected to create new revenue streams for existing library product
as well as new content. As studios usher in the age of high-definition DVD,
Lionsgate remains at the forefront of incorporating its use, and the Company
plans to follow this announcement with an additional wave of Blu-ray titles in
the coming months.
Lionsgate will continue to make available new releases and
popular catalog titles from its prolific and prestigious library on the format
throughout 2006.

About Blu-ray Disc:
The Blu-ray Disc format provides nearly five times more data storage than
DVD, with an unprecedented 25 GB (single-layer) and 50 GB (dual-layer) of
capacity. Blu-ray Disc players are backward compatible with other disc
formats and deliver the highest quality high-definition (HD) entertainment,
while providing a secure playback environment through the use of the most
advanced copy protection available.
Blu-ray Disc was created to support the accelerating convergence between
consumer electronics and information technology. The platform can also
support numerous film, music, computer and game applications. Sony Computer
Entertainment recently announced plans to utilize BD-ROM technology in their
next-generation Playstation 3 system.
Blu-ray is supported by more than 170 leading hardware and software
manufacturers, including the leading innovators in the CE and IT industries.

About Lionsgate Home Entertainment:
Lionsgate is the premier independent producer and distributor of motion
pictures, television programming, home entertainment, family entertainment and
video-on-demand content. Its prestigious and prolific library is a valuable
source of stable, recurring revenue and is a foundation for the growth of the
Company's core businesses. The Lionsgate brand name is synonymous with
original, daring, quality entertainment in markets around the globe.
post #4 of 43 Old 02-27-2006, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Now it's time for Fox to step up. Anybody want to guess how many of their initial 20 will be D-Theater rehashes? I'm hoping for some that I was able to get on that format quite a while ago.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #5 of 43 Old 02-27-2006, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone know what the price of the Samsung player is supposed to be? The announcement says that Best Buy will be carrying it so I'm sure a pre-order should be up in the next few days.
post #6 of 43 Old 02-27-2006, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
$999 according to the Blu-ray info site at circuitcity.com.Try this link.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #7 of 43 Old 02-27-2006, 06:48 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Woo-hoo!

Definitely picking up these:

Fifth Element
Knight's Tale
Resident Evil 2
RoboCop
Stargate
Terminator 1
Terminator 2

Considering Kung Fu Hustle as well.

Hopefully Warner will put T3 in their first batch of BD titles.
post #8 of 43 Old 02-27-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws
$999 according to the Blu-ray info site at circuitcity.com.Try this link.
Thanks Sclaws.

I think I may hold off a month until June/July when Lionsgate comes out with their 2nd batch of films. Nothing in the original batch of films interests me that much, but I'm really excited about Total Recall and Stargate (one of my favorite movies), neither of which made it to D-Theater even though they were supposed to.

Plus, that will give me a little more time to save up the money.
post #9 of 43 Old 02-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Does Sony know that they have movies older than 2004? ;)
Unfortunately, I find this initial slate to be somewhat resistible for the most part. Personally, I can only find 3 out of 16 that I would really want. I was hoping for just one or two of these older titles to be in that first batch:
Ghostbusters
In the Line of Fire
Last Action Hero
Silverado
Starman
The Karate Kids
Tootsie
Easy Rider
Glory
The Dark Crystal
The Natural
Blue Thunder

Seems like the only older titles are from MGM. Add to that, I just watched a really great looking HD transfer of Blue Thunder over the weekend on HDNet Movies that really got me pumped for an eventual BluRay release. There's a new SE scheduled for DVD release on the 4th of April, but I fear that with Sony using MPEG2 for the near future, it negates them from releasing the same SE to BluRay anytime soon.

But while they're releasing all these newer movies, where's Memoirs of a Geisha, Fun with Dick and Jane, Zathura, Rent...? With these being so recent, I wonder why aren't they using any of these to help launch the format?
post #10 of 43 Old 02-27-2006, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm looking forwared to a buena vista announcement. Maybe because the supported D-Theater and I bought every titles I'm mostly uninterested in announcements from 20th. I bet it's just gonna be a rehash of most of those d-theater titles. I will buy True Lies again if they use the better transfer. It will be great if 20th releases Titanic this year.
post #11 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Stephenson
Does Sony know that they have movies older than 2004? ;)
Unfortunately, I find this initial slate to be somewhat resistible for the most part. Personally, I can only find 3 out of 16 that I would really want. I was hoping for just one or two of these older titles to be in that first batch:
Ghostbusters
In the Line of Fire
Last Action Hero
Silverado
Starman
The Karate Kids
Tootsie
Easy Rider
Glory
The Dark Crystal
The Natural
Blue Thunder
Cliff, I HATE your list! If that were the initial release of films I'd be in trouble trying to figure out how to pay my rent! :eek:
post #12 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

of the titles mentioned so far (including Cliff's fantasy titles) about the only one i would pick up would be Tootsie.

The Fifth Element is a movie i've come to like a lot more than any of the SW prequels, but i don't need to own it @ $25. Just watched the Superbit a week or so ago so i don't think i'll have another urge to pull it out anytime soon. But when it gets reduced to around $15 i'll look forward to getting it.

T2 is a great film, but i'm getting real sick of buying it over and over. The Extreme disc will suit me fine for another couple of years (considering i still haven't watched it once since buying it). Total Recall is another great film, but again the current disc is just fine for my needs.

about the only other title i've seen mentioned that i would likely pick up is Underworld Evolution (along with the first film if there is a package deal).
A blind buy...but if its going to be over $35, i'd probably skip that as well.

a sub $500 player price point as well as a decent catalog of pre 1980 titles is going to be where & when i jump in.
post #13 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For $999 and those list of titles ill pass as well. At some point ill buy a Blu Ray player in addition to my HD DVD player, but im thinking $500 since one of my 'investments' isnt going to be a bust at some point in the future.

Andy
post #14 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Looking at this list: If everything comes together, I'll have a fairly decent selection of titles to choose when I buy my PS3 sometime in the Fall.

May 23 is actually a bit earlier than I was expecting for all this. We'll see if it actually holds. Good news on this front so far...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #15 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Yeah I can't see upgrading any of those titles at a $39 MSRP, the image I get on my Upconverted DVD Player is pretty Damn good so I have to ask is it worth the $30 Double dip?
post #16 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Only 5-6 titles I will purchase so far...but that will make it easier on the wallet ;)

Isn't the TFE supposed to be a 50 gb special edition with hi res audio?
If so, this means 50gb discs are coming a lot sooner than has been predicted in these HD sections.....no?
post #17 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz
Isn't the TFE supposed to be a 50 gb special edition with hi res audio? If so, this means 50gb discs are coming a lot sooner than has been predicted in these HD sections.....no?
IIRC, "The Bridge on the River Kwai" and "Black Hawk Down" were announced as BD-50s. "The Fifth Element" was announced as having high-resolution audio, but I don't believe it was one of the BD-50s.
post #18 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 10:00 AM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2
It will be great if 20th releases Titanic this year.
Titanic is a Fox title overseas, it's a Paramount distributed title here in the U.S.
post #19 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Which of these early discs, if any, have the promised label indicating whether they're HDCP/YPbPr (full 1920X1080), or automatically downrez YPbPr to 960X540? Thanks. -- John
post #20 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, not much of anything that really interests me in that first list of releases. Maybe Lord of War and Crash, but I have a hard time spending $1000 for a player for two films. I agree, where's the older titles? Bridge Over River Kawi will probably be the title get gets me to finally buy a blu-ray player. Unless Fox and Disney get around to finally announcing some titles soon. Hopefully they'll have better choices.

DVD collection
LD collection

Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
post #21 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason
Which of these early discs, if any, have the promised label indicating whether they're HDCP/YPbPr (full 1920X1080), or automatically downrez YPbPr to 960X540? Thanks. -- John
I don't think they are going to have anything indicating which will be downrezed. That will be the little surprise those with component hookups get each time they buy a new disc, or until they search an internet forum before buying.
post #22 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen
I don't think they are going to have anything indicating which will be downrezed. That will be the little surprise those with component hookups get each time they buy a new disc, or until they search an internet forum before buying.
According to previous posts by those intimately involved, some form of mentioning it is required on the exterior of the package otherwise the consumer has an easy excuse to return the product.
post #23 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge
According to previous posts by those intimately involved, some form of mentioning it is required on the exterior of the package otherwise the consumer has an easy excuse to return the product.
I still think the will have an easy excuse for returning it any way, do you really think that the retailer will inform the customer that his new blu-ray ray disc will be down resolutioned. Just for kicks pick up any copy of LOREE with the 6.1 audio track, and ask the sales clerk if it includes a 6.1 sound track. Or ask the clerk the difference between dts and dolby digital ex, ok ok 98% of the clerks will not know.

Heck it's bad enough right now, the other day I asked if I could see the tv's with hdmi, and the clerk looked at me weird and had to ask the supervisor. I do agree it would be nice if they included it on the package. It will probably be like a micro mark below the dts or dolby stickers.

If anyone has a picture of a retail box, with the warning that would be great!

Rthoreau
post #24 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

if someone is that clueless- why wouldn't they be able to see a quality difference between 9xx X 540 and the current 720 x 480? not to mention that the source will inherently be more detailed regardless?

even downrezzed these will still be a good improvment (unless they recycle lousy transfers, which is something i wouldn't put past certain studios).
post #25 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
For those with HDMI 720p or 1080i displays...will the downconverting from 1080p be done from a menu on a BR disk or automatically/manually from a BR player?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #26 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2blu
Titanic is a Fox title overseas, it's a Paramount distributed title here in the U.S.
I always get confused on distributors because I live overseas a lot and buy products from many countries.
post #27 of 43 Old 02-28-2006, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugpa
Unless Fox and Disney get around to finally announcing some titles soon. Hopefully they'll have better choices.
Do you mean in addition to the titles they've already announced? :confused:

Anyway, Terminator and 50 first dates weren't on the original announcement so that's interesting in itself. I'll probably buy The Terminator, I have it on DVD anyway.

Quote:
I have a hard time spending $1000 for a player for two films.
Well I imagine that most people will be buying in the anticipation of further releases in the future. While I can't imagine buying a large number of launch titles, there are dozens that will appear at some point
post #28 of 43 Old 03-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgement Day are Blu-Ray disc exclusives. I am getting a Blu-Ray player. Simple. Wasn't that easy? :)
post #29 of 43 Old 03-01-2006, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan
if someone is that clueless- why wouldn't they be able to see a quality difference between 9xx X 540 and the current 720 x 480? not to mention that the source will inherently be more detailed regardless?

even downrezzed these will still be a good improvment (unless they recycle lousy transfers, which is something i wouldn't put past certain studios).
Queried about the no-downrezzing label above because it's supposed to be provided, and I wouldn't consider buying a Blue-ray player otherwise. 960X540 is a definite Blue-ray turnoff here. Suspect the labeling would be played down, but also curious what percentage of discs have them. -- John
post #30 of 43 Old 03-01-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Why is it just a blu-ray turnoff? ICT is AACS and on both formats.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page