AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PS3 owners on a budget, who want lossless HD audio - Look here.

124K views 503 replies 196 participants last post by  PooperScooper 
#1 ·
I'm noticing an increasing number of new PS3 owners asking the same question: "How can I get lossless (PCM, Dolby True HD, DTS MA) from my PS3? I realize that some of you are on a budget and don't want to spend too much on a receiver. Keep this in mind - The only way to get lossless audio from the PS3 is by using HDMI to your receiver.

Essentially, what you need is a receiver that can handle PCM audio through HDMI - PCM is basically the digital master form of the film's audio before it is losslessly "zipped" into Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA. When True HD and DTS MA are decoded ("un-zipped" either by the player or receiver), it becomes PCM again. All three are essentially the same thing in the end. Thus, you need a receiver that will accept a 5.1 (or 7.1 in some cases) PCM stream.

* For all Dolby True HD discs, the PS3 will decode it (5.1 - 7.1) and send it to your receiver as PCM.

* For all DTS Master Audio discs, as of now, no decoder exists, therefore, you can use Optical or HDMI to listen to the core track at still a strong 1.5mbps.

* You can still listen to uncompressed PCM through your optical out if you wish, but it will be a 2.0 stereo signal. If you do not have a receiver and using TV speakers (only if your TV has an optical input), this is as good as it gets. With a receiver, keep in mind that you will still be restricted to 2.0 even if you hear sound coming out of all of your speakers. Your receiver's DSP and surround settings may be matrixing the 2.0 into a 5.1 or 7.1. This is not true 5.1 PCM.

Here are some suggestions that people on this forum have endorsed. Keep in mind that some of these receivers can only accept/output a 1080i signal. So be aware if you have a 1080p display. You can google search these receivers for more information.

$600 and under.

- Onkyo TX- 05 series. Particularly 605 and 705. Both have True HD and DTS MA decoders. Will retail for $499. This is going to be a monster value.

- Yamaha V661 / HTR 6060 (1080p, with HDMI audio processing!)

- Harman Kardon AVR 247 The best pure sound at this price.

- Sony STR-DG1000

- Denon 2307 CI.

- Onkyo SR604

- Onkyo SR674

$600 - $1000

- Panasonic SA-XR700 (The first official Blu-ray compatible receiver)

- Sony STR-DA3200ES

- Yamaha V1700

- Yamaha V2700

- Denon 2807

- Denon 3806

- Pioneer Elite 74txvi

- Pioneer Elite 72txvi

- Pioneer Elite 82txs

- Pioneer Elite 84txs

2007 Models

- Pioneer Elite 91, 92, 94THX (THD + DTSMA)

- Onkyo SR 805 (probably the BEST Value for you dollar under $1000) (THD + DTSMA), a bit more and you can get the more impressive 875.

- Yamaha V881

-Denon 2808 (THD + DTSMA)

-Harman Kardon 347, 745

See less See more
#152 ·
yeah it is very confusing.

side note. i called denon and talked to the customer service rep and was told that the avr3806 WILL accept lossless 7.1 pcm, not just 5.1. looks like thats the one i will be getting next.

h9k, i read that thread. i know everything in it. im just looking for the right receiver................

#157 ·
One thing I've noticed is how small speakers have gotten. I'm still using Jensen tower speakers with 14" woofers that I bought 20 years ago. Speakers like this today seem rare.

This was before woofers were seperate. Now it apears as though most front speakers have rather small (8"-10") woofers and you are expected to buy a large woofer to suppliment them. Speakers in general seem to be much more expensive now as well. My Jensens were $135 for the pair and they sound awesome.

#159 ·
I updated the main post with more "newbie-friendly" info. I haven't been checking this thread at all, but I noticed a lot of valuable info is here.

#160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/0

Here are some suggestions that people on this forum have endorsed. Keep in mind that some of these receivers can only accept/output a 1080i signal. So be aware if you have a 1080p display. You can google search these receivers for more information.

$600 and under.

- Sony STR-DG1000

- Denon 2307 CI.

- Onkyo SR604

- Onkyo SR674

- Yamaha V1600 (last year's model. Might get a good deal)

$600 - $1000

- Sony STR-DA3200ES

- Yamaha V1700

- Denon 2807

- Denon 3806

From the above receivers, can any of them apply PLIIx to an HDMI input?

#161 ·
 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P8gAMPt...0&i=158STDG800

Saw this on sale for $315.

» 100 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000Hz) at 0.09% THD

» Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, DTS Neo:6, and Dolby Pro Logic® IIx, and Digital Cinema Sound processing

» HDMI digital video switching (2 in, 1 out) pass-through only for audio and video signals; receiver cannot play audio signals input via HDMI

» HDMI version 1.1

» XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)

» Digital Cinema Auto Calibration

» dual-room/dual-source audio (fixed line-level stereo output for 2nd room)

» multibrand remote

» A/V Sync helps align out-of-sync audio and video for digital sources

» analog direct mode

» component video conversion

» component video switching (2 in, 1 out, 80MHz bandwidth)

» 7.1-channel analog input for connecting an SACD or DVD-Audio player

» digital inputs: 4 optical (including 1 front-panel), 2 coaxial

» optical digital output

» 3 audio inputs (including phono)

» 5 A/V inputs (including 3 S-video and 1 front-panel)

» 30 AM/30 FM presets

» 2 sets of main speaker outputs

#164 ·
eight, thanks for the update, it makes things a little clear.

If you have a TrueHD disc can you send the audio to any HDMI reciever? Is that true with uncompressed audio too? What setting do you need to use on the PS3? PCM or Bitstream?

I take it no DTS-MA receivers have arrived. It's possible that the PS3 will decode this after a firmware update. If not would you have to connect to a suitable receiver and select "bitstream"?

Do all HDMI 1.2 receivers decode SACD? or does it have to specifically say so in the specs?

All sub $600 receivers listed do pass 1080p so I assume the 1080i one(s) are in the more expensive group?

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0

If you have a TrueHD disc can you send the audio to any HDMI reciever? Is that true with uncompressed audio too? What setting do you need to use on the PS3? PCM or Bitstream?

I take it no DTS-MA receivers have arrived. It's possible that the PS3 will decode this after a firmware update. If not would you have to connect to a suitable receiver and select "bitstream"?

Do all HDMI 1.2 receivers decode SACD? or does it have to specifically say so in the specs?

All sub $600 receivers listed do pass 1080p so I assume the 1080i one(s) are in the more expensive group?

if a receiver passes 1080p then it will pass 1080i.

#166 ·

Quote:

I take it no DTS-MA receivers have arrived. It's possible that the PS3 will decode this after a firmware update.

That's the rumor. If this is indeed in the plans, I don't know why Sony doesn't make a statement about it. I am holding off buying a ps3 until then and there must be others out there like me....

#168 ·

Quote:

If you have a TrueHD disc can you send the audio to any HDMI reciever?

You can send both the raw bitstream audio or the converted-to-PCM audio over HDMI; this applies to Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA.

Quote:
Is that true with uncompressed audio too?

True with LPCM, yes.

Quote:
What setting do you need to use on the PS3? PCM or Bitstream?

PCM.

Quote:
I take it no DTS-MA receivers have arrived. It's possible that the PS3 will decode this after a firmware update.

No Dolby TrueHD nor DTS HDMA is available. Hopefully the March firmware will get the PS3 to decode DTS HDMA.

Quote:
If not would you have to connect to a suitable receiver and select "bitstream"?

If the receiver has the decoding capability, yes.

Quote:

It's not really about the HDMI version. The version only states that the HDMI CAN carry raw DST bitstream (DSD in lossless compressed form). So far no receivers can decode DST.

Using the PS3, you can listen to multichannel SACD via HDMI.

Quote:

Should be the other way around. If a receiver can pass through 1080p it definitely can pass through 1080i and whatever else it receives.

fuad

#169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple /forum/post/0

Should be the other way around. If a receiver can pass through 1080p it definitely can pass through 1080i and whatever else it receives.

I realise that. Eightunited was saying that some of them are 1080i only and I checked and all the sub-$600 were 1080p. Therefore the 1080i only ones must be in the other group

#170 ·
Its not too expensive, but the Yamaha RXV1700 is an amazing reciever for the price.... I love this thing. I reccomend it, it can pass 1080p and handle TrueHD and Lossless MPCM via HDMI.. sent Linear PCM ofcourse from the player doing the decoding... hehe.. no need for HDMI 1.3 here folks.

#171 ·
Hey guys, new here, and I have a quick question to this as it describes the situation I'm kinda in...

I'm waiting for the new 1.3HDMI units to hit, preferably Denon, but my current rig died on me the other day and I really need to replace it with something quick, and that I could just transport to another section of the house, say family room when I'm done with it...

I don't want to spend a high bank on something at this moment, so I was thinking about a quick HTiB rig... Can anyone tell me if this unit would support Uncompressed PCM? I don't need 7.1 at this time, just something that will sound nice, and I could hook up to the girlfriend's tv in the family room when I get my 7.1 Denon rig... Anyways, here it is...

Onkyo 5.1-Channel Home Theater System (HTS894)

I was running an older HTiB set-up, so I don't have any true seperate speakers at this time to just grab a new receiver and slap the old speakers on... as I don't think they'd appreciate it most likely

Quick responses would help, really want to go pick this up today if good... have some store credit there that I want to burn up

Thanks in advance!

#173 ·

Quote:

I realise that. Eightunited was saying that some of them are 1080i only and I checked and all the sub-$600 were 1080p. Therefore the 1080i only ones must be in the other group

If you can, try it out in a store with your PS3/BD player. Make sure you can see the TV's display on the input it receives. That would be the clearest indication that the receiver can pass 1080p; if of course the display is 1080p already.

fuad

#174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter81 /forum/post/0

No, there isn't a single HTiB setup right now that will process uncompressed PCM.

Bah! Thanks... Looks like I need to try and assemble something that'll do the trick for a reasonable price then with all seperate components...

I dunno if I could assemble a decent rig with a $800 budget though... 5.1 would be fine...

#175 ·

Quote:

That's incorrect. The Yamaha V1600/2600 will not output a 1080p signal. So if you have a 1080p display I'd avoid these for newer receivers.

#176 ·
Hi,

I have been following this and other forums for a little bit now but I am a little confused as to what to buy.

I am looking for a receiver that can do uncompressed 5.1 for my PS3 and can still handle (and sound good with) the regular optical cable audio for my Xbox 360. My Panasonic Plasma TV can only handle 1080i so the receiver doesn't need to do more than that but if it does that's fine.

I'm trying not to spend a lot and it doesn't have to last me forever, just the next 2 to 3 years.

The best I can figure on for my needs would be the Onkyo 604. Will this receiver work for my PS3 and Xbox 360? Also, are there any problems with the 1080p signal coming through as 1080i or will it handle it like the Blu-Ray movies do, i.e.; running 1080p movies in 1080i?

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.