any1 have any oppinion on the pq of the following movies: - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
im thinking of getting these blu-ray movies. if any1 have any of them...please let me know what u think of the pq...thx.

gone in 60 seconds, underworld: evolutions, blackhawk down, kung fu hustle, and click.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

plus im gonna get invincible and the descent that will be releasing this week and next week.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I can say that Underworld: Evolutions and Kung Fu Hustle looked great too me.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc
im thinking of getting these blu-ray movies. if any1 have any of them...please let me know what u think of the pq...thx.
gone in 60 seconds
Heard it looks liek crap.

underworld: evolutions
Looks quite good.

blackhawk down
Looks very good.

kung fu hustle
I've heard it looks very good.

click
I've heard it looks like crap.

Check out my Tier sticky for others and their comparative ratings.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

gone in 60 seconds looks like crap? interesting. i heard it is very good in term of pq since it is using avc codec instead of those crappy mpeg2 codec.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 234
There is a sticky at the top of this forum, which is dedicated to members giving their opinions on PQ (and AQ) of the BD titles:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=753726

Here is a list of review sites:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=709133

There is a ton of existing info readily at your fingertips.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #7 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

gone in 60 is near reference, I think I saw a spot or 2 of compression artifacts, Click is wonderful has slightly crushed blacks, Underworld is good, Black Hawk is reference

-Gary
post #8 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with that gone in 60 seconds is near reference.

Just because it is filmed mostly at night people think it is bad.

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #9 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 PM

Blackhawk Down is my single favorite title on the format. Outstanding PQ that makes it perfectly clear that MPEG-2 can work just as well or better than VC-1, given enough space. It's gorgeous.

Kung Fu Hustle really surprised me- it looked great. Just watched it the other night and it seems that Sony is really turning the corner on PQ consistency now- it's a top-tier title, no question.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Kung Fu Hustle is another example of how MPEG-2 on a BD25 disc should never be used! Flat and without the detail associated with many fine Blu-Ray discs. If MPEG-2 has to be used, a BD50 is essential to pump up the bitrate.

Note to studios (especially Disney, Sony, Paramount, and Lionsgate!), if you must use a BD25 disc, use an advanced codec!!!!

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #11 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
Kung Fu Hustle is another example of how MPEG-2 on a BD25 disc should never be used! Flat and without the detail associated with many fine Blu-Ray discs. If MPEG-2 has to be used, a BD50 is essential to pump up the bitrate.

Note to studios (especially Disney, Sony, Paramount, and Lionsgate!), if you must use a BD25 disc, use an advanced codec!!!!

Dan
Your findings of "Kung Fu Hustle" as "flat and without detail" is the exact opposite of everything I have read about this title. Mine is coming this week. I'll be interested in seeing for myself.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #12 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatterhouse
Blackhawk Down is my single favorite title on the format. Outstanding PQ that makes it perfectly clear that MPEG-2 can work just as well or better than VC-1, given enough space. It's gorgeous.
strange..someone gave a 3 out of 5 stars in amazon.com. he said:

"How bad is it? Well, my brother, who isn't an enthusiast by any means, walked in while I was watching Black Hawk Down and made the comment "is this Blu Ray?" When I replied in the affirmative, his response was "doesn't look much better than the DVD." Unfortunately I feel the same way."

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000G0O...810738-3221759

i downloaded the movie trailer from the ps3 store. the trailer looks better than the dvd movie i had...but it was encoded in avc format.

but since this blu-ray movie is encoded in mpeg-2...when i get this movie sometime next week...i will compare it with my black hawk down dvd movie again.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman

Dan
Flat my azz...its got lots of 3-d in it as well as lots of sharpness in most of it....don't give up your day job ;)
post #14 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc
strange..someone gave a 3 out of 5 stars in amazon.com. he said:

"How bad is it? Well, my brother, who isn't an enthusiast by any means, walked in while I was watching Black Hawk Down and made the comment "is this Blu Ray?" When I replied in the affirmative, his response was "doesn't look much better than the DVD." Unfortunately I feel the same way."

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000G0O...810738-3221759

i downloaded the movie trailer from the ps3 store. the trailer looks better than the dvd movie i had...but it was encoded in avc format.

but since this blu-ray movie is encoded in mpeg-2...when i get this movie sometime next week...i will compare it with my black hawk down dvd movie again.
BHD is pure reference....period.....do you work for M/S as what your saying could only be said by an M/S employee. :rolleyes:
post #15 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 08:57 PM

I own all of them, and they are all very good looking disc. If I had to choose by pq alone I'd go in this order. 1 being best.

1. Black Hawk Down
2. Underworld: Evolution (Beckinsale!)
3. Kung Fu Hustle
4. Gone in 60 Seconds
5. Click (Beckinsale!)
post #16 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

well i just order the following blu-ray movies:

1. invincible
2. black hawk down
3. underworld: evolution
4. kung fu hustle
5. gone in 60 seconds.

will give reviews once i get those movies sometime next week and following weeks.

will also plan to get the descent.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-18-2006, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm curious how you find BHD. I find that it has the most clearly defined faces in any title I've seen, even more than Tear of the Sun.

Only negative in this movie is that there is no eye candy and no vivid colors - mostly just brown dust, military fatigues, and blood.

I do like Kungfu Hustle, the musical instrument fight with the guy with spears is very well done, as is the matrix style final battle. PQ wise, it is a notch below BHD, but I cannot find fault with it as the digital master seems to be quite decent on low frain. The actors in there with few exceptions are truly non-photogenic. It reminds me of the trailer park boys.

UE. I also liked this title, even though I think there are some problems in the dark segments (it's average in some dark scenes --- seems all highdef movies have this problem to various degrees on either format --- think of what happens to your digital camera when you don't have enough light and you understand what I'm talking about)

I think one problem is that the only completely clean BD movies are the animation titles like IceAgeII and TheWild, unless you can find BD Phantom of the Opera, there's no titles with vivid colors and breathtaking eye candy.

Overall tough, they are enjoyable movies. I wouldn't want to spend too much time looking at the movie from 2 ft away, it ruins the enjoyment of the movie, and my children and wife keep telling me not to block their view.

Just enjoy the movie and ignore all the wet blankets. These are enjoyable movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page