post #181 of 4055 Old 02-14-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenodds View Post

Thought so too...I think it's my camera.

Here's a comparison shot
Before

After

Quite a difference!

I like the first one better too, more color is my preference though.
1st shot looks a bit cool (blue), 2nd one on the warm side
(most noticable on the whites)

BTW
the first pic, I think you forgot the shut the flash off
(notice the bright spot in the center?)

...not so much a problem with your Sony,
but the flash kills my image quality on my plasma (more reflective)

I have done some recent calibrating on my 5070,
and I kind of like the standard default settings

my shot of the same frame

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4055 Old 02-14-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
evenodds I see a Wii sittin' right next to your 55A2000

Nice shots guys! I'm getting a new TV so after I get that dialed in, I'll post some shots, too!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #183 of 4055 Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

Ok I'll bite.

Twin Sony VPH-G90U projectors in a Blend on a 11ft wide 16:9 SMX screen. Source is the PS3:

Pics taken by my good buddy Clarence.

Cliff

Is the AR correct on your projector? Looks like it's...I'm not sure. Anyway, here's my comparison shot for your first one. The AR definitely looks different... The grain on Scrat's eyeballs is my camera's ISO setting, fwiw.

Camera: SD700 Canon (still getting used to it - sorry!) Picture is brighter and better in reality.

Screen: Samsung LN-S4695D with Playstation 3 as the source via HDMI/1080p.

This was IDIWMOE calibrated (I did it with my own eyes).

post #184 of 4055 Old 02-14-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Is the AR correct on your projector? Looks like it's...I'm not sure. Anyway, here's my comparison shot for your first one. The AR definitely looks different... The grain on Scrat's eyeballs is my camera's ISO setting, fwiw.

LOL. Good Catch. No it wasn't correct. I was having problems with the box we were using for blending and could not get it to sync properly with the PS3 at 1080P.

Hence the "washed out" detail and the missing right side of the picture. My stack will be up again hopefully in a couple of months. I'll post some real nice pics then.

Cliff
post #185 of 4055 Old 02-15-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1926 View Post

Ryan, can you tell me what scene in the film that's from? Timestamp, maybe? I saw this film for the first time on BD through my PS3, and it seemed a bit dark. I can't figure out of if my settings are off or if the movie was just shot that way. If I could compare levels on the same scene (since I own that film), it would help answer that question. Thanks.

I'm thinking I just managed to pick several darkly-shot films to start my BD collection with, that's throwing off my perception.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #186 of 4055 Old 02-15-2007, 08:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Ryan, can you tell me what scene in the film that's from? Timestamp, maybe? I saw this film for the first time on BD through my PS3, and it seemed a bit dark. I can't figure out of if my settings are off or if the movie was just shot that way. If I could compare levels on the same scene (since I own that film), it would help answer that question. Thanks.

I'm thinking I just managed to pick several darkly-shot films to start my BD collection with, that's throwing off my perception.

The scene is from Chapter 42. The timestamp said 2:02:30. Let me know how it goes.
post #187 of 4055 Old 02-15-2007, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Since I'm a nerd, I took a picture of that timestamp. I'd say, from my own opinion of course, that Ryan's shot is over-bright causing a loss of detail in Mr. Bloom's facial hair and sweat, his clothes to look more "grey," and pretty much all the shadows under his eyes disappear.. I'm copying Ryan's screenshot into my post for easier comparison. You guys can tell me what you think...

Here's Ryan1926's shot:

And here's the shot I took on my set.

post #188 of 4055 Old 02-15-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Damn forum lost my post...

Thanks for the second opinion, William. I mainly asked Ryan because his set is ISF calibrated, so it seemed a good "baseline" for comparison. Obviously concessions have to be made based on the fact that it's a photograph of a screen, but luckily I know enough about such things to be able to weed out what was likely being displayed on Ryan's screen when he took the photo.

I'll give it some comparisons tomorrow... That's one advantage of owning both consoles. I can stream those two photos to my Xbox360, and switch back and forth "live" from those to the actual still-frame from the film itself on my PS3.

Thanks guys!

post #189 of 4055 Old 02-15-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:

Camera: SD700 Canon (still getting used to it - sorry!) Picture is brighter and better in reality.

Screen: Samsung LN-S4695D with Playstation 3 as the source via HDMI/1080p.

This was IDIWMOE calibrated (I did it with my own eyes).

wow, my set is nowhere near as sharp as that.
post #190 of 4055 Old 02-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
not a camera expert so pics don't do justice, but not bad. setup is hitachi 57f59 crt rptv and ps3 via hdmi @ 1080i
post #191 of 4055 Old 02-15-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Since I'm a nerd, I took a picture of that timestamp. I'd say, from my own opinion of course, that Ryan's shot is over-bright causing a loss of detail in Mr. Bloom's facial hair and sweat, his clothes to look more "grey," and pretty much all the shadows under his eyes disappear.. I'm copying Ryan's screenshot into my post for easier comparison. You guys can tell me what you think...

Here's Ryan1926's shot:

Thanks for the comparison! Unfortunately my camera and camera skills don't do the picture justice. I went back and looked at the scene again and compared the pic that I posted to the actual screen and the two look so different (pic looks terrible compared to the actual screen). Granted it appears that my settings are a bit brighter than WilliamG's, they don't look as bad as the pic shows. The facial hair and sweat detail is there, but I can see what you mean about the shadows.

My set was ISF calibrated and now am beginning to question the calibration a bit. I have posted all of the reports from the technician in my gallery. Any suggestions on what I might try and tweak? Thanks in advance!
post #192 of 4055 Old 02-16-2007, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Here's Ryan1926's shot:

WOW, William either your a very good photographer or that Samsung screen rocks !

I Think its both.. One of the clearest and sharpest pictures posted on here ! Didn't know the samsung lcd could produce such good black levels amazing. Maby I should buy this screen hmmm? I was all settled on the Sony 46V2500..
post #193 of 4055 Old 02-16-2007, 06:18 AM

Well now I'm gonna have to get this movie and try this scene ! ! ! !
post #194 of 4055 Old 02-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Reign of Fire

framing is a little off, but you get the idea

bd

sd

bd

sd

bd

sd

bd

sd

bd

sd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #195 of 4055 Old 02-16-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

not a camera expert so pics don't do justice, but not bad. setup is hitachi 57f59 crt rptv and ps3 via hdmi @ 1080i

Holy Damm, you've had blu ray 3 years now who won the format war dude
post #196 of 4055 Old 02-16-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeuz View Post

WOW, William either your a very good photographer or that Samsung screen rocks !

I Think its both.. One of the clearest and sharpest pictures posted on here ! Didn't know the samsung lcd could produce such good black levels amazing. Maby I should buy this screen hmmm? I was all settled on the Sony 46V2500..

You're way too kind, but thanks for comments!

I came from a Panasonic ED plasma, so I needed a TV that could do blacks fairly well. You need to realize immediately when you buy a TV that it's NEVER going to do absolutely everything perfectly. No TV does. The Samsung (and the Sony, actually!) took my breath away, though, and I don't regret buying it for a second. The black levels, when pseudo-calibrated (visually), are fantastic. The only time the black levels lose some of their apparent black is when the lights are completely off, and even then, they're very good. As a comparison, heck, even my plasma's black levels weren't "perfect" when the lights were off. As a further comparison, even my friend's G90's black levels aren't completely black when the lights are off, and we're watching a dark scenes. For further thought, what on earth is a perfect black level? As my father told me when I was explaining contrast ratio to him, "A lot of the time I'm in the dark, it isn't completely black!" He makes a great point.

I'd say yes, you should definitely go check out the Samsung. I think it's a great TV. The one downer, if you'd call it that, is that the Samsung currently overscans by about 3%-or-so on all corners. It doesn't bother me at all, though it is strange. Firmwares have been released in other territories to fix this (Korea, UK, to name a few), and apparently one is coming to the US very soon. Even with this "issue," I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the LN-S4695D or LN-S4696D.
post #197 of 4055 Old 02-16-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1926 View Post

Thanks for the comparison! Unfortunately my camera and camera skills don't do the picture justice. I went back and looked at the scene again and compared the pic that I posted to the actual screen and the two look so different (pic looks terrible compared to the actual screen). Granted it appears that my settings are a bit brighter than WilliamG's, they don't look as bad as the pic shows. The facial hair and sweat detail is there, but I can see what you mean about the shadows.

My set was ISF calibrated and now am beginning to question the calibration a bit. I have posted all of the reports from the technician in my gallery. Any suggestions on what I might try and tweak? Thanks in advance!

I'm not putting down ISF calibrations at all, but it really depends on personal choice, to some degree. It doesn't matter what a professional tells you if you personally don't like it.

I took a look at your ISF settings, and I'm not sure, really. The menus are different on the Sony to my Samsung, so the numbers don't correlate. However, just from looking at them, it's interesing that your "picture" settings (contrast, I assume), and "brightness" settings seem very close to each other, which is very different to how my TV is set. You may want to copy down all your current settings, and tinker a bit. My contrast is set, I believe (without checking), at 90 (max 100), and my brightness is at 46-or-so (max 100). With LCDs, you don't need to worry about damaging anything when bumping the contrast like you do with the unquestionably-overblown-worry of burning in a plasma when you do so.

Try that out and see how you like it.
post #198 of 4055 Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweezr View Post

Reign of Fire

framing is a little off, but you get the idea

Nice pictures. Look at the ugly edge-enhancement on the SD version! Eek!

post #199 of 4055 Old 02-16-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I'm not putting down ISF calibrations at all, but it really depends on personal choice, to some degree. It doesn't matter what a professional tells you if you personally don't like it.

I took a look at your ISF settings, and I'm not sure, really. The menus are different on the Sony to my Samsung, so the numbers don't correlate. However, just from looking at them, it's interesing that your "picture" settings (contrast, I assume), and "brightness" settings seem very close to each other, which is very different to how my TV is set. You may want to copy down all your current settings, and tinker a bit. My contrast is set, I believe (without checking), at 90 (max 100), and my brightness is at 46-or-so (max 100). With LCDs, you don't need to worry about damaging anything when bumping the contrast like you do with the unquestionably-overblown-worry of burning in a plasma when you do so.

Try that out and see how you like it.

I will try tinkering with the "picture" settings when I get home. Thanks!
post #200 of 4055 Old 02-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjh009 View Post

Holy Damm, you've had blu ray 3 years now who won the format war dude

lol ,no sometimes when i recharge the batteries for my digital camera it resets the date and i don't feel like setting it again unless it's a special occasions.
post #201 of 4055 Old 02-16-2007, 12:09 PM

I think I will pick up Reign of Fire tonight on the way home !
post #202 of 4055 Old 02-17-2007, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Reign of Fire looks damn good... Either it's a really good HD encode, or a crappy SD encode, or maybe both, but I think that's one of the best examples of "improvement" I've seen in this thread.

I took a look at that scene from Kingdom of Heaven last night. Making amends for the fact that these are photographs of TV screens, I think my settings are fine. The bright spots of the image (the right side of Orlando's face, in the sun) looks almost identical to the photo that William took, as well as the same blue-gray of the sky behind him. But all of the shadow detail on the left side of Orlando's face is still plainly visible, I can make out the rest of his face quite clearly, his eyes, etc.

I guess it's just shot darkly, is all. I'd supply a picture, but my camera is quite old and quite crappy by today's standards, and it would probably look nothing like what I'm actually seeing on the screen.

post #203 of 4055 Old 02-17-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Reign of Fire looks damn good... Either it's a really good HD encode, or a crappy SD encode, or maybe both, but I think that's one of the best examples of "improvement" I've seen in this thread.

I took a look at that scene from Kingdom of Heaven last night. Making amends for the fact that these are photographs of TV screens, I think my settings are fine. The bright spots of the image (the right side of Orlando's face, in the sun) looks almost identical to the photo that William took, as well as the same blue-gray of the sky behind him. But all of the shadow detail on the left side of Orlando's face is still plainly visible, I can make out the rest of his face quite clearly, his eyes, etc.

I guess it's just shot darkly, is all. I'd supply a picture, but my camera is quite old and quite crappy by today's standards, and it would probably look nothing like what I'm actually seeing on the screen.

It's always difficult to take a picture of a screenshot. I had no doubt your actual image looks very different.
post #204 of 4055 Old 02-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Could someone please post pics comparing the SD and BD versions of Terminator 2? The EE version of T2 would probably be the better SD version to do the comparision as it was a cleaner transfer than the UE version. Thanks in advance...

Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 1080p plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K Dolby PLIIz +THX 9.2 surround
Sony BDP-S790 bluray player
post #205 of 4055 Old 02-18-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriS2K View Post

Could someone please post pics comparing the SD and BD versions of Terminator 2? The EE version of T2 would probably be the better SD version to do the comparision as it was a cleaner transfer than the UE version. Thanks in advance...

I only have the Ultimate Edition of T2 on SD, but I'll try and get some pictures up today.
SD

HD

SD

HD

SD

HD

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #206 of 4055 Old 02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

....which movie are these screen captures from ? Bikini Destinations ?

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #207 of 4055 Old 02-18-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Open Season at 1080i60 into a Lumagen HDQ and finally to a Sony Ruby at 1080p60

post #208 of 4055 Old 02-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

....which movie are these screen captures from ? Bikini Destinations ?

yes the blu ray triple fantasy. the girls on the blu ray are not as hot as the bikini destination on inhd on cable and the blu ray pic is a down grade in my opinion from the one on tv (except a few scenes), but there are still some fine women on the movie . the pic's don't do the tv/movie justice and i really couldn't post the best ones if you know what i mean. overall i would give it a 2.5/3 out of 5 for overall pic on blu ray. some scenes are a 5 ,but most are 3 and under in my opinion
post #209 of 4055 Old 02-19-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great captures IMWS. Got any non-animated shots?

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #210 of 4055 Old 02-19-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page