NY Times: Warner to release BR/HD-DVD Hybrid Discs! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 164
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/04/te...ref=technology. Who needs CES, the pre-release fireworks are hot enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-03-2007, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"....However, among its perceived advantages, HD-DVD players are less expensive and also play standard DVDs, while Blu-ray players do not." from above article. Funny, my BD player plays standard DVDs... wonder where they got THAT misinformation.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
BR/HD-DVD hybrids are an excellent idea. Give me HD-DVD30 on one side and BD50 on the other.

Just don't make me pay extra for it!
post #4 of 33 Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
BD and HD DVD are basically software layers. If at some point everone can just agree to use the same disk, we can simplify everything. So if you want iHD and HVDIDEO_TS folders with EVO files or if you want BDMV folders with mts files, you can, just make sure they use the same storage medium --- that would be the 50GB DL one.

This way, those EVO files can be encoded in VC-1 with peaks of 40Mbps for video too. This should make everyone happy, yes?
post #5 of 33 Old 01-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Personally I think this is a bad idea... I'd rather have my disc art on one side and my blu-ray data on the other.. but that is just me.

My major concern is this: can they possibly confuse the general public anymore? People are having a hard enough time figuring out the difference between the two formats and now we'll have one studio releasing a disc that contains both that brands yet another name. It would be different if all studios were doing this but it is just one.... bad idea. Just my two cents.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 PM

Isn't this that crappy thing they announced previously that would apparently have a 15 GB HD-DVD layer and a 25 GB BD layer? Or is this something new? If not, I'd call it the "Totally Crippled HD" disc.
post #7 of 33 Old 01-03-2007, 11:02 PM

Where would they stock it in the store?

Would there be a new section in-between the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD section called "Total HD" implying a different, third player is needed to play THOSE discs?

People are already confused enough... I mean, if the New York Times can't get their facts straight...
post #8 of 33 Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 PM

Guess we'll have to wait and see if the dual player gets announced or not, either way i dont see this happening. It would be really hard to get all the studios to go format neutral and then make dual discs.

Also since i have a blu-ray player. Why the hell would i buy the dual disc?.. Unless they put Dolby true Hd on the bd side and/or they stop making the stand-alone discs. I really dont see the point.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Between Warner's Total HD and LG's Dual-Player announcements the pre-CES buzz is loud and clear: a vote of no confidence on both HD-DVD (i.e. Toshiba) and Blu-ray (i.e. Sony) as well as a desire for one HD optical format to end the war. It will be interesting to see the spin both camps put on what essentially amounts to an industry-wide repudiation of their greed fueling this needless format war.

And nice of Warner to prove that movie studios are just as greedy about proprietary format royalties as the CE companies behind the two current HD formats. Because, if the Total HD discs catch on (unlikely but now a real probability), Warner stands to take a cut from the royalties of selling the new disc.
post #10 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

And nice of Warner to prove that movie studios are just as greedy about proprietary format royalties as the CE companies behind the two current HD formats. Because, if the Total HD discs catch on (unlikely but now a real probability), Warner stands to take a cut from the royalties of selling the new disc.

I Still dont see it happening. Unless blu ray is losing terribly and on the verge of extintion some studios wont go neutral. I believe a dual player is the only way to have both formats co exist and be successful.
post #11 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

BR/HD-DVD hybrids are an excellent idea. Give me HD-DVD30 on one side and BD50 on the other.

Just don't make me pay extra for it!

I thought these were going to be HD DVD-15/ BD-25 discs? In this case, I would hope these don't catch on. If I'm wrong, though,.... well..... I still hope they don't catch on.
post #12 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

It wouldn't be a flipper if one side had HD and the other BD. A flipper is when you have to flip the disc during the film.

I imagine that it would have a HD layer and a BD layer underneath. It's unlikely that it'll have 30GB on top of 50GB which would be needed for most releases. They might be able to get away with 30GB/25GB for some releases. If it's anything like their DVD hybrids, it'll be rediculously expensive.
post #13 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

From a marketing perspective, this sounds like a disaster. I'm with "foots" on this one... the public is already confused as hell. Branding a third option (that contains the previous two) is crazy.

The only way this helps confusion is if the concept takes off and all studios do it. But since we all know that some studios will only do this if hell freezes over (Sony, for instance), it makes no sense.

I'm also not sure about the logic here. Does this save Warner money? I would think it would actually cost more to make this thing...
post #14 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Research commissioned by Warner indicates that consumers are willing to pay several dollars more than current high-definition DVDs for a disc that works on both players.

Well there's not much info to go by yet as to how these are going to be implemented but unless it's a 30g/50g combo disk I think its fair to assume they are going to be limited either by space and/or encoded to the lowest common denominator of each format.

Additionally we have the quote from Warner that they already plan on charging more for these disks. Great so now we will be paying even more and getting less

I'd rather have one of the current formats die altogether and lose the investment I put into it so far.
post #15 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 AM

I hear that Sony is to come up with some real BD-50/HD-DVD15 beauties @$50 each to keep the HD-DVD fanbase happy!
post #16 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder if Warner is making this announcement to get some kind of monetary return or leverage from the Blu-ray camp to go Blu-ray exclusive. I think these Universal discs just add more confusion and prolong the format war even moreso.

If Warner is trying to 'end the format war' and save production/advertising money, wouldn't going Blu-ray exclusive pretty much do the same thing?
post #17 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj View Post

A flipper is when you have to flip the disc during the film.

No, flippers are disc that have no artwork and data on both sides of the disc. Like DVDs that have Widescreen on one side and flip it over and you have Fullscreen. Or the HD-DVD combo discs HD-DVD one one side flip it over and you have DVD on the other.
post #18 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post

From a marketing perspective, this sounds like a disaster. I'm with "foots" on this one... the public is already confused as hell. Branding a third option (that contains the previous two) is crazy.

The only way this helps confusion is if the concept takes off and all studios do it. But since we all know that some studios will only do this if hell freezes over (Sony, for instance), it makes no sense.

I'm also not sure about the logic here. Does this save Warner money? I would think it would actually cost more to make this thing...

One thing's for sure, it mught confuse some potentials but it will force both sides of early adopters to buy the title. They will make more on these discs than two separate.
post #19 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Bauer-24 View Post

One thing's for sure, it mught confuse some potentials but it will force both sides of early adopters to buy the title. They will make more on these discs than two separate.

Possibley but at that point who here is willing to pay extra for these disks?

I dont even like paying extra for current HD DVD combo disks let alone Im sure its a very small percentage of people that actually own players in both formats needing or wanting to view the movie in both HD and BR and are willing to pay extra for it.

What about the single highdef format owners, will they be forced to pay extra for an HD side that they cant even use?
post #20 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 08:42 AM

What color would the cases be? Purple!!
post #21 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 08:47 AM

lol purple cases
post #22 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Vote here if your willing or not willing to pay extra for these Total HD disks

Poll: Are you willing to pay extra for Total HD discs?
post #23 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

This is going to go the way of SED. Only SED had far more appeal!

The way this sounds, it looks like $50 for a single disc. And what a the specs, anyone know? Is it a 50gb/30gb flip disc?

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #24 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't wait for V for Vendetta, Batman Begins and Harry Potter GOF on Total HD, great news for Blu_ray!
post #25 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

"....However, among its perceived advantages, HD-DVD players are less expensive and also play standard DVDs, while Blu-ray players do not." from above article. Funny, my BD player plays standard DVDs... wonder where they got THAT misinformation.

That's one of the first things I noticed about the article. Sucks!

One thing to wait and see is how much data this thing will hold for each format.

Chet
post #26 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 10:18 AM

Jeez this thread is everywhere. I forgot I had posted on this one. Or did I? What are we talking about again? Oh yeah I doubt the prices for these discs go any higher than the combo discs or Fox's discs.
post #27 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Bauer-24 View Post

Jeez this thread is everywhere. I forgot I had posted on this one. Or did I? What are we talking about again? Oh yeah I doubt the prices for these discs go any higher than the combo discs or Fox's discs.

Its created in the BR hardware and software section plus the HD hardware and software section. 4 times is to many, hopefully a mod can merge them
post #28 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chako View Post

No, flippers are disc that have no artwork and data on both sides of the disc.

No, they're just double sided. Flippers refer to films that are split over two sides and the term was coined in the early days of DVD when studio's released them because dual-layer discs weren't ready. They were a big issue back then, people hated them. No one had an issue with dual-sided discs, they gave people a choice.
post #29 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 12:40 PM

Screw you Warner, these discs are already damn expensive. I am not paying more.
post #30 of 33 Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately it seems like an "everybody loses" situation if they switch over their line to this format. Unless they can fit both dual HD-DVD and dual BD layers on both disk for the same price as what those disks are individually retailing for now, then both sides will ultimately be paying more for less. Not to mention the fact that Warner having this format locked down via patent will undoubtedly keep other studios from adopting similar formats.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page