wow was I mislead - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I broke down and bought a PS3 and thought well even though I keep hearing that bluray sucks and the picture quality is poor, I picked up click and it came with talladega nights. I already had an HD-DVD player and 9 movies to compare. I popped in Click and thought wow this is meh then I realized I had not set it to 1080i in the settings doh! Once I did this I was absolutely blown away with the picture. I had been told so often that it was not as sharp ect to Hd-Dvd I believed it as law.

I must say the PS3 is an awesome player and I now cant wait to get paid to go pick up some new BD's. For those wondering this was viewed on a panasonic ae900u projected on a 133" screen. Now that I have both I kinda hope Bd wins due to the 50gb disk's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Ignore all the misinformation and FUD spread on this forum and other forums about Blu-ray, it all comes from viral marketers from Microsoft and Toshiba. That's the only way companies behind and inferior product can survive. You just saw the light with first hand experience, and that's priceless.
post #3 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you not see any BD owners call them out on it? HD DVD fanboys have been trying this since day one and I know that whenever I see it as do most of us. It's amazing that more HD DVD owners don't see through this tactic.

While the first BD's weren't fantastic quality they have improved greatly since then and most reviews are getting 4 stars+ in video

Don't fall for the FUD
post #4 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 PM

yup Ignore the HD-DVD fanbois FUDs, blu-ray picture quality is as good as what the best of HD-DVD have to offer
post #5 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlen View Post

I popped in Click and thought wow this is meh then I realized I had not set it to 1080i in the settings doh! Once I did this I was absolutely blown away with the picture. I had been told so often that it was not as sharp ect to Hd-Dvd I believed it as law.

Congrats on your PS3. You are in for a treat. Click this The Tier System For Blu-ray PQ thread in this forum for user ratings on PQ.
post #6 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

I just love mine.. The pic is just great and I am one happy person!
post #7 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 01:30 PM

The funny thing is you'll see both sides make claims about superior PQ and/or AQ when in fact both formats support the exact same CODECs including lossless audio representations. It's even more entertaining when the video and audio are digital outputs where (barring faulty designs) even half-decent designs produce perfect results. Yes, there will be bugs in early implemenations that result in PQ and AQ variations ... but the differences between the two are fewer than most would like to believe and will be erased over time.

The real differences come in terms of what software is available. What titles are on which formats, and when? What special features are included? Does anyone take advantage of the manufacturing cost or storage space differences in a way that benefits the consumer? So we all suffer from the posturing and exclusives while two largely similar technologies battle it out to see who gets the licensing fee revenue.

Don't be sucked into the hype. Support either or both formats because you want to watch movies - not because you want to pick sides and "win" against the "enemy."
post #8 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 01:46 PM

You like Click and Talladega Nights? All I can say is that your taste of movies is different than mine.

I loved Kingdom of Heaven and I'm hoping Universal will go neutral so I can have The Interpreter, The Deer Hunter and The Sting in BD. (Yeah I had to go pretty far back to come up with two of those three, not that I only like old movies but I really can't find many new Universal films I like....)

At any rate, enjoy your new PS3 and try some games too. If you like racing and pretty pictures, GTHD is free for downloads and the graphics is awesome.

have fun
gandalf
post #9 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
exactly. There were some botched BD titles at first but now they're some stellar ones. KOH looks phenomenal. Better than Kong On HDdvd IMHO...
And what's funny is all the knuckleheads saying "the same movie on both formats looks better on HDdvd.." Crap. The warner titles are identical. Same codec...

Lotsa misinfo. around here...
post #10 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I know what you mean. I got the Sammy to go with my Tosh A1. I find the PQ of some Blu-Ray disc to be nothing less than top notch. Overall, I like HD DVD better but Blu Ray has gotten there act together and come a looooong way. This month marks the first time I have more Blu Ray pre orders than HD DVD.
-Evangelo2
post #11 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, the only reason I went with BD is because the HDdvd releases just dried up for some reason. A whopping 5 exclusive Universal titles in the next couple of months with such winners as half baked..? hmmm...
HDdvd, you had me, then you lost me.
post #12 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The dried up HD-DVD software support is most likely an illusion. I suspect they are simply trying to make a splash by announcing a large number of titles at CES. Given the number of BD exclusive studios and Warners announced plans to 'catch-up' on BD releases, I do believe the software availability side of the equation will shift in BDs favor, but we will likely still see a fair number of HD-DVD releases though the Spring.
post #13 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assayer View Post

The dried up HD-DVD software support is most likely an illusion. I suspect they are simply trying to make a splash by announcing a large number of titles at CES. Given the number of BD exclusive studios and Warners announced plans to 'catch-up' on BD releases, I do believe the software availability side of the equation will shift in BDs favor, but we will likely still see a fair number of HD-DVD releases though the Spring.

didn't there show passed already at CES or am I wrong....
post #14 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAdept View Post

The funny thing is you'll see both sides make claims about superior PQ and/or AQ when in fact both formats support the exact same CODECs including lossless audio representations. It's even more entertaining when the video and audio are digital outputs where (barring faulty designs) even half-decent designs produce perfect results. Yes, there will be bugs in early implemenations that result in PQ and AQ variations ... but the differences between the two are fewer than most would like to believe and will be erased over time.

The real differences come in terms of what software is available. What titles are on which formats, and when? What special features are included? Does anyone take advantage of the manufacturing cost or storage space differences in a way that benefits the consumer? So we all suffer from the posturing and exclusives while two largely similar technologies battle it out to see who gets the licensing fee revenue.

Don't be sucked into the hype. Support either or both formats because you want to watch movies - not because you want to pick sides and "win" against the "enemy."

Well, technically Blu Ray can allow for better PQ since it can provide for higher average bitrate (more storage space) and higher maximum bitrate (more bandwidth)... Although really, I don't think any studio has taken advantage of it as of yet.
post #15 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus2323 View Post

didn't there show passed already at CES or am I wrong....

2007 International CES, January 8-11, Las Vegas
http://www.cesweb.org/
post #16 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM View Post

2007 International CES, January 8-11, Las Vegas
http://www.cesweb.org/

ah, I was wrong.......
post #17 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:24 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Welcome to Blu vorlen!

Blu-ray is every bit as good as HD DVD. Sadly even I got caught up in all the FUD spewed at this forum, some from HD DVD fanboys, some from HD DVD insiders.
post #18 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneild View Post

No, you weren't.

Tosh did their press event today, as did Samsung.
The big keynote to kickof the show is tonight at 9:30est.

You can watch it live:
http://www.microsoft.com/ces/

I doubt very much there will be a 'big splash' of HD-DVD titles at CES. I think at this point it's very much WYSIWYG. Blu-ray will pull away and the margin will only increase until Universal goes neutral. At that point, the bow is already under and the good ship HD-DVD will ultimately succumb.

The writing is on the wall.

It's sad, really. I used to only support HD-DVD. Bought an A1. Ran out of HD-DVD's to watch, bought the 360 add-on and sold the A1, figuring the add-on will do fine until the format war dies down.

I recently bought a PS3 and discovered that, yes, the HD-DVD PQ/AQ advantage is nothing but FUD. Blu-ray discs look every bit as good as HD-DVD discs do. Then I looked at the release schedule...

HD-DVD is a great technology, but the facts are simple: Blu-ray is just as good and it has more movie support. Blu-ray is now meeting or outselling HD-DVD, and this won't change anytime soon. The increase sales will bring the prices down and take away HD-DVD's last advantage: it's lower cost. Already, there is a $799 Samsung player. I'm sure we'll see cheaper 2G players from the other manufacturers (or other ones not yet in the game) sometime in 2007. By this time next year, there will be no price advantage (at all) to HD-DVD, and in fact, HD-DVD will likely cost more due to it's much more limited installed base (it's safe to assume Blu-ray players will outnumber HD-DVD players substantially).

I know some people are still attached to HD-DVD for personal or emotional reasons. Others have been such loud and proud HD-DVD supporters that they could never openly acknowledge that the end is definitely in sight. I understand this - but as I said, the writing is on the wall.

Unless Toshiba can announce soon (like -yesterday-) that every studio that isn't Sony is now shipping HD-DVD discs, it's over.

Fantastic post.
post #19 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gand41f View Post

You like Click and Talladega Nights? All I can say is that your taste of movies is different than mine.

I loved Kingdom of Heaven and I'm hoping Universal will go neutral so I can have The Interpreter, The Deer Hunter and The Sting in BD. (Yeah I had to go pretty far back to come up with two of those three, not that I only like old movies but I really can't find many new Universal films I like....)

At any rate, enjoy your new PS3 and try some games too. If you like racing and pretty pictures, GTHD is free for downloads and the graphics is awesome.

have fun
gandalf

Come on now. Talladega Nights came with the system for free. I'm into action movies like LOTR, The Matrix , X-Men and then I like well done dramas. Click was pretty good though as it hits close to home and had a good message.
post #20 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, you weren't.

You can watch it live:

I doubt very much there will be a 'big splash' of HD-DVD titles at CES. I think at this point it's very much WYSIWYG. Blu-ray will pull away and the margin will only increase until Universal goes neutral. At that point, the bow is already under and the good ship HD-DVD will ultimately succumb.

It's sad, really. I used to only support HD-DVD. Bought an A1. Ran out of HD-DVD's to watch, bought the 360 add-on and sold the A1, figuring the add-on will do fine until the format war dies down.

I recently bought a PS3 and discovered that, yes, the HD-DVD PQ/AQ advantage is nothing but FUD. Blu-ray discs look every bit as good as HD-DVD discs do. Then I looked at the release schedule...

HD-DVD is a great technology, but the facts are simple: Blu-ray is just as good and it has more movie support. Blu-ray is now meeting or outselling HD-DVD, and this won't change anytime soon. The increase sales will bring the prices down and take away HD-DVD's last advantage: it's lower cost. Already, there is a $799 Samsung player. I'm sure we'll see cheaper 2G players from the other manufacturers (or other ones not yet in the game) sometime in 2007. By this time next year, there will be no price advantage (at all) to HD-DVD, and in fact, HD-DVD will likely cost more due to it's much more limited installed base (it's safe to assume Blu-ray players will outnumber HD-DVD players substantially).

I know some people are still attached to HD-DVD for personal or emotional reasons. Others have been such loud and proud HD-DVD supporters that they could never openly acknowledge that the end is definitely in sight. I understand this - but as I said, the writing is on the wall.

Unless Toshiba can announce soon (like -yesterday-) that every studio that isn't Sony is now shipping HD-DVD discs, it's over.

Very nice!!
post #21 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

My PS/3 is one of the finest pieces of A/V equipment I have ever owned. It's the equal of "wow" as my Sony S7000 DVD player. And it beats every other player I've owned since.

The A/V specialty mags say the PS/3 is a great BD player.
The A/V specialty retailers are hoping to stock it, when they can.

Sony has spewed a lot of BS over the years, but this is the new frontier device for the living room.

And being a fully expandable computer, it is just the beginning of what it will ultimately be able to do.

Gary

- Don't trust sigs
post #22 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:

No, you weren't.

You can watch it live:

so they did have there conference and might I say very intresting.....
post #23 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW, a luv in. I miss the 60s...As someone who waited for the ps3 specifically for BD 1st and gaming distant 2nd, I'm certainly happy things are proceeding the way I'd hoped. I passed on hd dvd because I knew the studio support was lacking and the ps3 was on the way and it was worth the wait. I must admit hd movie channels and dvhs filled the void nicely, but now back to optical for the future hd collecting. 2 rental outlets in my area with hd disk and both have more bd than hd dvd titles already.
post #24 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surfer Dude View Post

Well, technically Blu Ray can allow for better PQ since it can provide for higher average bitrate (more storage space) and higher maximum bitrate (more bandwidth)... Although really, I don't think any studio has taken advantage of it as of yet.

I didn't mean to state that the two formats are identical, rather that they really are more similar than different. Blu-ray's higher maximum bitrate and storage size may wind up making a difference in the long run. In the meantime the majority of the perceived differences have nothing to do with limitations of the formats themselves.
post #25 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh BTW make sure you pick up the DB remote control for the PS3, it really makes it feel like a stand alone player. Also try inserting the BDs into the PS3 when the machine is in standby, that way it will just automatically start playing the movie without going into the gaming interface (XMB).
post #26 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 04:33 PM

OF THE LAST 15 MOVIES REVIEWED AT HIGH-DEF DIGEST, BLU-RAY HAS AN EVEN MORE CONSISTENT PQ AND A REMARKABLE BETTER AQ THAN HD DVD. DON'T BELIEVE THE FUD!

movie Blu ray Disc
PQ AQ
Courage Under Fire 4 3,5
Alien vs Predator 4 4
Gridiron Gang 4 4
The Covenant 5 4,5
Rising Sun 3,5 3,5
Invincible 4,5 4
Transporter 2 4,5 4,5
Lady in the Water 3,5 3,5
Pearl Harbor 4 5
Flightplan 4 4,5
The Ant Bully 4,5 3,5
Sky High 4 4
All the King's Men 4 4
The Devil Wears Prada 4,5 4
Legends of Jazz Showcase 4 5

TOTAL 62 61,5

movie HD DVD
PQ AQ
Pulse 4 3,5
Black Rain 4,5 3,5
The Breakfast Club 3,5 3
Lady in the Water 3,5 4
The Matador 4 3,5
Casino 4,5 4
The Ant Bully 4,5 4
Field Of Dreams 2,5 3
Hulk 5 4,5
Derailed 4 3,5
Dune 4 3,5
Chronos 3,5 4
World Trade Center 4,5 4,5
A Christmas Story 3,5 2,5
Miami Vice 3,5 3

TOTAL 59 54
post #27 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlen View Post

Come on now. Talladega Nights came with the system for free. I'm into action movies like LOTR, The Matrix , X-Men and then I like well done dramas. Click was pretty good though as it hits close to home and had a good message.

OK, our taste is quite similar then, I love all those too.

Shouldn't have opened my mouth about TN and Click without watching them. They are in my Netflix queue, I'll let you know again after they arrive.

sorry
gandalf
post #28 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surfer Dude View Post

Yes. This is exactly the reason why I hope Blu-ray will win. I'm sure in a couple of years studios (or more like compressionists) will figure out how to fill up the 50GB discs to maximize quality. So when I can afford the 108-inch Sharp LCD (oops wrong forum ) I can stand 3 feet from it and notice zero artifacts.

just dreamin'
gandalf
post #29 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

No, you weren't.

You can watch it live:

I agree 110% Excellent post. I too was an HD-DVD supporter and simply was upset at how HD-DVD was being treated at stores like BEst Buy where the displays were not kept up with no signs while the Blu-Ray displays were excellent. THen I discovered that HD-DVD simply didn't send Best Buy and banners or signs to market the display as Sony did so it really wasn't BEst Buy's fault. Both may be the same in quality now which is understandible, however Blu-Ray will eventually move ahead once 50GB discs and higher bitrate of the video becomes standard. Sony has played it smart and now more and more people are seeing the light once they got a PS3 and discovered the picture quality is the same, and the player speed is 10 seconds vs a few minutes...RIght now I just want to see a larger supply of BD movies since I can't find IcE Age Meltdown and BHD anywhere..
post #30 of 65 Old 01-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, it's over. That's why LG is about to release a dual-format player, WB is working on duial-format discs and Toshiba just announced a new $500 player.

It's over. Yep.

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page