Blu-Ray Grayscale Calibration Disc available for download - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I went and did something that I'm sure to get flamed about; told how incompetent I am; and generally bad-mouthed by 1/2 the AVS Forum:

I created a Blu-Ray HD Calibration Discs. This disc is in the BDAV format -- which should be suitable for most Blu-Ray players, and will definitely work on the PS3! I can also create a BDMV if such a demand exists.

Here's how the discs were created.
  • Download the HD Calibration Files from www.w6rz.net
  • Convert the .TS streams to HD MPEG using VideoRedo. A couple of streams were corrupted, but i was able fix them with other tools.
  • Compile the disc image using Cyberlink PowerProducer. PowerProducer does not re-render the files, thus ensuring their accuracy to the original contents. Chapter marks were added to "IRE-Windows" and "IRE-Fields" and Color videos at each of the 10-IRE sections and/or individual colors.
  • Burn to disc using PowerProducer.
  • Ran the video on the PS3 and tested each of the files. Tested the chapter marks working correctly. (The chapters worked perfectly for me, though some people have previously reported that chapter marks don't work with BDAV, or PowerProducer on the PS3.)
  • Verified the IRE values using my Lumagen Video Processor. The Lumagen has the ability to read the IRE values in its internal frame buffer, and output that value to the screen. All IRE values verified perfectly correct -- thus giving me confidence in this disc.
  • Used PowerProducer to create the disc image file. Unfortunately, this image file is not a .ISO -- but is instead in a PowerProducer format. Sorry.

Instructions for downloading and burning:
  • Download BD Calibration - All.ZIP.
  • You'll need to get CyberLink PowerProducer (sorry, it's all I could make work and verify that I could distribute using the same method). At least it's cheap.
  • As a safety precaution, be sure to download the PowerProducer latest patch. This patch fixes some issues for burning BDAV discs for PS3.
  • Unzip the archive, and place in the "MyWorks" directory.
  • Load the image file with PowerProducer from the "Utilities" menu.
  • Use PowerProducer "Utilities" to burn disc from image from the archive you placed in MyWorks directory.
  • Point to the disc image you just downloaded. Press Go.

I also have the ability to create this image for BDMV players...using DVDIt ProHD. If there is such a need, I'll get to that next week.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
2006 WSOP Omaha Hi/Lo Tournament: 6th Place
Brillian Discrete IR Codes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-19-2007, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Is there BTB and WTW information in the grayscale pattern(s)??

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 28 Old 01-19-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 92
You're burning these onto what cd?

File sizes are small,.. that's why I asked.

Can't ISO's be made? That would make this whole project much more viable for me at least.

Thanks and Good Luck,

Brian
post #4 of 28 Old 01-19-2007, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Is there BTB and WTW information in the grayscale pattern(s)??

larry

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the acronyms BTB and WTW -- I assume it means something like Black-to-Black, and White-to-White?

Anyways, I didn't create the test patterns; those were created by AV User "dr1394" and are available for download at www.w6rz.net. So I don't know if they contain the information you're looking for.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
post #5 of 28 Old 01-19-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

You're burning these onto what cd?

File sizes are small,.. that's why I asked.

No, I was burning to BDRE. I tried burning to DVD to see if the BDAV format could be played on a DVD. At least on the PS3, this didn't work. The PS3 saw the DVD as a data disc, and not BDAV.

Quote:
Can't ISO's be made? That would make this whole project much more viable for me at least.

Thanks and Good Luck,

Brian

Cyberlink PowerProducer doesn't allow the output of .ISO files. The format I supplied is their equivalent. Later today if I get some time, I'll see if I can bring the files in with NERO Burning ROM, burn back to BDRE and see if they work. If this works, I should be able to create an ISO. But don't hold your breath - I think I tried this last night to no avail. Unfortunately it was very late when I did it, and I can't remember exactly what I tried and what I didn't.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
post #6 of 28 Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Hey,

You burned three Blu Ray record-able discs with tiny bits of info on each? That would cost me $50 or more if I could get it done. I'll just wait for DVE on BR instead.

Still, good effort.

-Brian
post #7 of 28 Old 01-19-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Hey,

You burned three Blu Ray record-able discs with tiny bits of info on each? That would cost me $50 or more if I could get it done. I'll just wait for DVE on BR instead.

Still, good effort.

-Brian

The purpose was to use BDRE discs and re-record them. Only $25 here. I chose three separate files to keep the size and usablility managable. The BDAV media format doesn't allow the creation of menus -- so all of the files appear as a file list. You must select which file you want to play. I was afraid that having 54 files without menus would be too difficulte for people. But if that's what people want, I can certainly create it.

This disc isn't meant to userp the DVE calibration disc when it becomes available. It's meant to give people a leg up on the process. When I was at CES a few weeks ago, the word on the floor was that DVE or Avia for BD was still many months away from coming...and further rumor now says -- one of them -- is delayed even further.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
post #8 of 28 Old 01-20-2007, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the acronyms BTB and WTW -- I assume it means something like Black-to-Black, and White-to-White?

Anyways, I didn't create the test patterns; those were created by AV User "dr1394" and are available for download at www.w6rz.net. So I don't know if they contain the information you're looking for.

Blacker than black and Whiter than white. Video values can go from 1-254 with 16 being black and 235 being reference white. His "Ramp and IRE Bar pattern" should contain them.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #9 of 28 Old 01-20-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Blacker than black and Whiter than white. Video values can go from 1-254 with 16 being black and 235 being reference white. His "Ramp and IRE Bar pattern" should contain them.

larry

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, as I recall, the ramp contains them -- as there are lines around 16 and 235 -- which I assumed were the BTB and WTW points.

I'll be revamping the discs this weekend. It turns out that the idiotic software wouldn't allow me to put all of the patterns on one disc anyways -- without crashing. I don't know if it's a limitation of the software, or BDAV format. But when burning -- 99% done, the software crashes. This occurs when I have 38 titles on one disc. 36 titles works fine; 38 crashes -- and it' not the content causing it.

So I'm trying to make a unified disc that contains all of the patterns -- by combining the IRE Windows; IRE Full Fields; Colors-709; and Colors-601 into four individual files...instead of each one being separate. I'm hoping that will allow me to put all of the patterns on a single disc without the software crashing.

On a side note, the Roxio software -- which supposedly creates BDAV titles -- won't play on the PS3. So for now, we're stuck with PowerProducer. As for creating an ISO -- I'll keep looking into that -- but the Roxio ISO program wants to create a 22GB file -- bit-by-bit of the entire disc, not just the contents.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
post #10 of 28 Old 01-20-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
dr1394

has made available on his site http://www.w6rz.net/ referenced above an HD DVD compatable image that can be burned to DVD +- R.

Perhaps if we ask nicely?

ted
post #11 of 28 Old 01-20-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Seems like great work. But BD-R are expensive and rare.

Can this be made to work on a red laser DVD-R?? like the HD DVD test patterns?

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #12 of 28 Old 01-20-2007, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Seems like great work. But BD-R are expensive and rare.

Can this be made to work on a red laser DVD-R?? like the HD DVD test patterns?

Visit Ron's site you will see that an image is already available for download.

ted
post #13 of 28 Old 01-20-2007, 07:45 PM

Can I download the iso...extract a mpeg and put it on my ps3??
post #14 of 28 Old 01-20-2007, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an iso of a few test patterns that is a BDMV I created from the exact files in the w6rz.net site. It's about 200MB or so and can be burnt onto a DVD/R and played on a PS3. It does not play on a samsung, but should play on panasonic. My panasonic's not at home, so I can't test it now.

I don't have a place where I can upload the iso file easily. Anyone has a suggestion?
post #15 of 28 Old 01-20-2007, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe if one has a PS3, they could just download the .TS files and put them on a flash drive or whatever and just plug them in and play it, right?

Actually, I believe that you could just browse to the files on w6rz.net and play them on the PS3, but that would take a long time each time you did it.
post #16 of 28 Old 01-20-2007, 11:42 PM

so what files and method are us ps3 owners using right now??
post #17 of 28 Old 01-21-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

I have an iso of a few test patterns that is a BDMV I created from the exact files in the w6rz.net site. It's about 200MB or so and can be burnt onto a DVD/R and played on a PS3. It does not play on a samsung, but should play on panasonic. My panasonic's not at home, so I can't test it now.

I don't have a place where I can upload the iso file easily. Anyone has a suggestion?

I tried this, and it didn't work for me at all. I'm really curious what process was used. I couldn't get BDMV to play at all on the PS3 -- no matter what I did. I also copied BDAV that does work on the PS3 -- to a DVD-R and that didn't work either. So if I understood the process, I'd make it available for download.

I just completed an all-patterns BDAV disc, and am uploading it right now. I'd love to have an ISO or something that plays on DVD-R. Just tell me how it's done, and I'm right on top of it.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
post #18 of 28 Old 01-21-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Not an externally available app. The BDMV authoring app I am using makes the DVD/R disk look like AVCHD and hence can be read by panasonic and PS3.
post #19 of 28 Old 01-21-2007, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

I've updated the BD Calibration disc to include all of the HD images in one download file. You'll still need PowerProducer to burn the image until I can figure out how to make a downloadable ISO work (I'm still working on this).

I've combined all of the grayscale and color calibration clips into four files ("IRE-Windows, IRE-Full Field, Colors-709, and Colors-601). To access each of the IRE clips, or color clips, use CHAPTER+ and CHAPTER- to scroll through the individual clips.

Refer the the first message in this thread for updated instructions.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
post #20 of 28 Old 01-21-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't get the .TS files to play on my PS3 (or my computer). I have plenty of other .TS files that play fine on my PS3, but these won't play. Anyone have any idea why?
post #21 of 28 Old 01-21-2007, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post

I can't get the .TS files to play on my PS3 (or my computer). I have plenty of other .TS files that play fine on my PS3, but these won't play. Anyone have any idea why?

I never tried playing the .TS files directly, but I did have success converting them the .MP4 and playing them directly on the PS3.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
post #22 of 28 Old 01-21-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

But BD-R are expensive and rare.

Should be available at your local BB & CC. Also available at Newegg. They have been available for several months now.
post #23 of 28 Old 01-21-2007, 10:38 PM

so us ps3 owners what file do we d/l?
post #24 of 28 Old 01-22-2007, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCircuitCity View Post

so us ps3 owners what file do we d/l?

Look at the first message in this thread. Download the .ZIP file and burn it to BD-RE. Unfortunately, you'll need to purchase PowerProducer to do that -- until I can figure out how to extract this to .ISO (without a 25GB size). I figure anybody who has a $700 BD burner shouldn't squirm over a $70 software package to burn the disc. I'm still looking at other options to create a Blu-Ray ISO, but nothing is working without creating a 25GB output file. So for now, it's PowerProducer as your cheapest method.

If you don't want to go through this hassle, there's another way -- but may be even more hassle, depending on your perspective. Download the files from www.w6rz.net. Convert them to MPEG-4 format. Then upload them to your PS3. I've done this also -- and it works fine.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
post #25 of 28 Old 01-22-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Look at the first message in this thread. Download the .ZIP file and burn it to BD-RE. Unfortunately, you'll need to purchase PowerProducer to do that -- until I can figure out how to extract this to .ISO (without a 25GB size). I figure anybody who has a $700 BD burner shouldn't squirm over a $70 software package to burn the disc. I'm still looking at other options to create a Blu-Ray ISO, but nothing is working without creating a 25GB output file. So for now, it's PowerProducer as your cheapest method.

If you don't want to go through this hassle, there's another way -- but may be even more hassle, depending on your perspective. Download the files from www.w6rz.net. Convert them to MPEG-4 format. Then upload them to your PS3. I've done this also -- and it works fine.

Maybe you could put all those files in one zip? That would be the method I would use.
post #26 of 28 Old 01-22-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCircuitCity View Post

Maybe you could put all those files in one zip? That would be the method I would use.

I'll see what I can do tonight. I only have some of them converted. I'll convert the rest of them tonight and upload them. I'll only leave them for one week because server space is limited.

PencilGeek AKQJTs
post #27 of 28 Old 01-23-2007, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

No, I was burning to BDRE. I tried burning to DVD to see if the BDAV format could be played on a DVD. At least on the PS3, this didn't work. The PS3 saw the DVD as a data disc, and not BDAV.

Cyberlink PowerProducer doesn't allow the output of .ISO files. The format I supplied is their equivalent. Later today if I get some time, I'll see if I can bring the files in with NERO Burning ROM, burn back to BDRE and see if they work. If this works, I should be able to create an ISO. But don't hold your breath - I think I tried this last night to no avail. Unfortunately it was very late when I did it, and I can't remember exactly what I tried and what I didn't.

You have to burn it to a BD.
post #28 of 28 Old 02-08-2007, 12:21 PM

Can you just put up the file without making an iso? because PS3 will play blue ray data just fine from a DVD-R, just burn it with normal burning program as data file, that is how I do it with my color bars from my NLE, I just don't have any other pattern, if anybody wants my smpte blue ray mpeg2 encoding at 35000kbps let me know but it is huge, almost 2 gig, although I could make it shorter for smaller file.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page