BLU-RAY SALES THREAD: Put all sales figures and comments here! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #271 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post

"For an extra $4 I can buy the HD-DVD version and watch it on my current DVD player now and later when I get a HD-DVD player I'll already have the HD-DVD version. "

This is along the lines of somthing I was hoping for when I began my hopes for BD. With the extra storage, I figured this could work (can you have both on the same side?) I think the price has to be a little closer though. And most people don't watch most of their movies more than once.

Then there's the whole rental factor which is how the majority of home video is done.

Really, the actual costs for DVDs is so little that I think it may be wise to include 2 discs in an HD optical package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Logical fallacy. How can something be available if it's in the future. A title set for Feb 7th isn't "available" it hasn't been released.

What people are screaming about here is the "feeling" or "perception" of a title Avalanche for Blu-ray. Perception is reality right?

A stressed out Christian is an oxymoron. I don't worry about things I can't control.

I just read in another thread that you dont post in the BD area because you dont want to feel like a pest. In the last 15 minutes you posted 5 times in a BD thread.....
post #273 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Have I tried to invalidate your purchase?

Here's my quote

Quote:

The same could be said of people who have no desire to own a HD DVD player but continually post in the HD DVD section.

I'm open about the fact that I'll likely own a BD player. I've just decided to support HD DVD this year because it is my chosen format. That's a far cry from some of the BD fans in the HD DVD forums who let it be known they will never own a HD DVD player. Not quite the same intentions.
post #274 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

"For an extra $4 I can buy the HD-DVD version and watch it on my current DVD player now and later when I get a HD-DVD player I'll already have the HD-DVD version. "

I know some people that are buying the combos even though they have no hd-dvd player yet (actually a couple have now bought players). I'm actually a bit suprised they pay that extra premium between the the sd dvd and an hd-dvd combo but they have.

Too bad for hd-dvd that they don't have a "corporate champion" like BD has in Sony, which would be willing to subsidize more agressively to push HD onto their standard dvds. Not to be evidently....

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #275 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post

Josh, you are really an asset to the HD DVD format and your posts contribute greatly to HD DVD supporter's resolve. Keep on cheerleading...

Heh, when I read this post, the first thing I thought of was Microsofts viral marketing last year where they set up a site (majorynos.com) pretending to be a giant douchebag Sony employee mimicking their own giant douchebag employee Major Nelson, to rally Xbox fans around. That got caught out by the media and the site mysteriously closed right after though.

Josh?
post #276 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:

I noticed that the HD-DVD version of "The Departed" contains both HD-DVD and standard DVD versions of the movie. Is this HD-DVD's way of fighting back? By offering new releases in both formats to try and get both the DVD and HD-DVD crowd to buy their product? It seems like this will undoubtedly skew the sales figures if people are buying the HD-DVD version with no intentions to watch the movie in HD.

HD-DVD I think is not making the right move there, it costs 25-30 bucks for such a package, who would buy this when the normal DVD would cost less.
post #277 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromprophet View Post

HD-DVD I think is not making the right move there, it costs 25-30 bucks for such a package, who would buy this when the normal DVD would cost less.

^^Yep an SD person could probably get the DVD for $15-18 at Best Buy/Circuit City on release week.
post #278 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromprophet View Post

People that want the HD version eventually and know they plan to buy a HD DVD player. Combos make great gifts too.
post #279 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

I know some people that are buying the combos even though they have no hd-dvd player yet (actually a couple have now bought players). I'm actually a bit suprised they pay that extra premium between the the sd dvd and an hd-dvd combo but they have.

Too bad for hd-dvd that they don't have a "corporate champion" like BD has in Sony, which would be willing to subsidize more agressively to push HD onto their standard dvds. Not to be evidently....

Nope. Never was.
post #280 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Have I tried to invalidate your purchase?

No, and compared to some of the HD DVD supporters who basically just troll here you are quite rational about what you say. Still you are coming into this thread and trying to explain away the fact that Blu-ray sales are surpassing HD DVD sales on Amazon. Remember that besides many HD DVD supporters even Microsoft has used Amazon sales data to make the claim that HD DVD was winning the format war. Now that things have changed why shouldn't Blu-ray supporters point it out?

Quote:

I'm open about the fact that I'll likely own a BD player. I've just decided to support HD DVD this year because it is my chosen format. That's a far cry from some of the BD fans in the HD DVD forums who let it be known they will never own a HD DVD player. Not quite the same intentions.

Sure, but I have heard of HD DVD supporters who have said that they won't support Blu-ray even if it does win the format war. Point being that though there are some strong Blu-ray supporters there are a few HD DVD supporters who in my opinion take this format war far more personally. In fact it is not hard to notice that only a small number of posters create the vast majority of negative threads against Blu-ray.
post #281 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

That would be me! I own an XBox 360 HD-DVD add-on but I don't have an HDTV yet (been shopping for one since March of last year) and continue to watch TV/movies/play games on a 27" SD TV. I know Sony will eventually get $500-600 from me for a PS3 and a few thousand dollars more from all the games and BD movies I will buy... in the future, when I have an HDTV worthy of hooking a cutting-edge PS3 to it! Besides right now there aren't enough PS3 games or BD exclusives (and some of those I'll be damned if I'll pay more than $25-30 for them) to justify the expense, IMHO. But I like HD-DVD, what it stands for, the quality of its transfers and even though I can't yet enjoy it at home with an HDTV I chose to support it by buying the add-on and every HD-DVD bargain I can lay my hands on. This includes HD-DVD combos, of which I have six: Slither, Superman Returns, Good Night and Good Luck, Jet Li's Fearless, Lady in the Water and Brokeback Mountain. I paid no more than $30 for one of these combos; anything more and it would have been as stinking a ripoff as Fox asking $40 for a bare-bones Rocky. Plus when I go visit friends that have HDTV's I bring the add-on so we can watch Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, King Kong and the HD side of my combo discs, which I watched first as regular SD's on my 27" Wega.

Don't worry Blu-ray fanatics, I'm a gamer at heart and eventually a PS3 will be mine along with some carefully-chosen-for-their-quality-and-price BD movies not available on HD-DVD. Heck, I can afford and easily buy a PS3 right now if I wanted to but I'd rather give HD-DVD's the sale and give Sony some grief for their arrogant, conceded and bullying tactics by denying them my money... for now!
post #282 of 11556 Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you're over-playing the "big bad Sony" card there, dad! They haven't done anything that Toshiba hasn't done. At least the don't force you to buy one of their players!

$40 for Rocky? You can get it for $27.85 with free shipping!

Personally I wouldn't buy a combo disc even if I planned on getting a HD DVD player. By the time you get around to it, the disc will be cheaper. Not that you get a choice of combo or standard HD DVD. And people call Sony arrogant (incorrectly I might add!)
post #283 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

That would be me! I own an XBox 360 HD-DVD add-on but I don't have an HDTV yet (been shopping for one since March of last year) and continue to watch TV/movies/play games on a 27" SD TV. I know Sony will eventually get $500-600 from me for a PS3 and a few thousand dollars more from all the games and BD movies I will buy... in the future, when I have an HDTV worthy of hooking a cutting-edge PS3 to it! Besides right now there aren't enough PS3 games or BD exclusives (and some of those I'll be damned if I'll pay more than $25-30 for them) to justify the expense, IMHO. But I like HD-DVD, what it stands for, the quality of its transfers and even though I can't yet enjoy it at home with an HDTV I chose to support it by buying the add-on and every HD-DVD bargain I can lay my hands on. This includes HD-DVD combos, of which I have six: Slither, Superman Returns, Good Night and Good Luck, Jet Li's Fearless, Lady in the Water and Brokeback Mountain. I paid no more than $30 for one of these combos; anything more and it would have been as stinking a ripoff as Fox asking $40 for a bare-bones Rocky. Plus when I go visit friends that have HDTV's I bring the add-on so we can watch Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, King Kong and the HD side of my combo discs, which I watched first as regular SD's on my 27" Wega.

Don't worry Blu-ray fanatics, I'm a gamer at heart and eventually a PS3 will be mine along with some carefully-chosen-for-their-quality-and-price BD movies not available on HD-DVD. Heck, I can afford and easily buy a PS3 right now if I wanted to but I'd rather give HD-DVD's the sale and give Sony some grief for their arrogant, conceded and bullying tactics by denying them my money... for now!

Nice. Slither is much more of a guilty pleasure than I expected (and looks great). Fearless is just great.

I suspect that buying combos registers a strong + with hd-dvd studios since it's a unique feature to the format. Personally I'd go for the HDTV next up, for sure. The PS3 will be strong overall later (both movies and games) and it wouldn't be a suprise if the price even dropped.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #284 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj View Post

I think you're over-playing the "big bad Sony" card there, dad! They haven't done anything that Toshiba hasn't done. At least the don't force you to buy one of their players!

$40 for Rocky? You can get it for $27.85 with free shipping!

Personally I wouldn't buy a combo disc even if I planned on getting a HD DVD player. By the time you get around to it, the disc will be cheaper. Not that you get a choice of combo or standard HD DVD. And people call Sony arrogant (incorrectly I might add!)

I find Warner far more arrogant with their forcing of combo disc purchases for the majority who do not want them....and worse yet....their eventual attempt at forcing us to buy THD....which basically nobody wants....mostly because of the added cost of software.

If these THD discs are actually developed in time...and are used exclusively on releases such as LOTR, Matrix trilogy ect....its going to slow down any mass adoption because the masses will not even consider spending 40-50.00 or more for any movie.

All studios need to start thinking 20.00 or less pricing for catalog titles...and no more than 24.99 for new releases....if they ever expect to gain any mass market share in the future.
Seems like they just keep coming up with ways to attempt to justify charging more......which is going to eventually kill both formats if this trend continues IMO.
post #285 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

WOW! Blu-ray again continues to DESTROY HD-DVD on :

http://www.hdgamedb.com/amazon/histo...TYPE=10&SPAN=0

Also on DVDEmpire.com:

http://www.dvdempire.com/index.asp?...site_media_id=0

Blu-Ray
Week: 65.53%
Month: 58.68%

HD-DVD
Week: 34.47%
Month: 41.32%

This is the 10th stright day by my count that Blu-ray has increased its lead over HD-DVD. How much longer can Universal realistically hold-out from BD?

~Josh

Really? You really call 59% vs. 41% destroying the competition. I guess that means foreign cars have destroyed American cars, so we should expect the shutdown of all American auto plants any day now.

Oh look, we are halfway through the first quarter of the Superbowl and the Colts are ahead of the Bears 8 to 6 (57% to 43%). The Colts are just absolutely destroying the Bears! Realistically, just how much longer can the Bears hold out with this kind of wholesale slaughter.

Josh, you are the master FUD spreader of all the BD fanboys. Congratulations!
post #286 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

Really? You really call 59% vs. 41% destroying the competition. I guess that means foreign cars have destroyed American cars, so we should expect the shutdown of all American auto plants any day now.

They're doing that anyway!

Back to BD. While BD hasn't destroyed HD DVD it's not entirely false to say they are destroying them. They're in the process. The key thing isn't market share but growth. It may be 65% now but how long until 70%? We must bare in mind this is the start, not the end
post #287 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Bluray camp did say something at CES that is true (believe it or not) they said "its all about the content" this week Bluray had a lot of new titles and so the sales went up, thats it. If you look at "The Departed" you will see HDDVD is outselling The bluray copy(on the dvd wars) When $200 HD DVD standalone players become more available by 4th quarter 07 and Universal starts to spit out more day&date Titles HD DVD will continue to build.
post #288 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post

The Bluray camp did say something at CES that is true (believe it or not) they said "its all about the content" this week Bluray had a lot of new titles and so the sales went up, thats it. If you look at "The Departed" you will see HDDVD is outselling The bluray copy(on the dvd wars) When $200 HD DVD standalone players become more available by 4th quarter 07 and Universal starts to spit out more day&date Titles HD DVD will continue to build.

Does it help at all that HD owners have nothing else and have had nothing else to preorder for the last 2 months and the next 2 months. One single big title is probably gonna be snatched up by every owner weather they have seen it or not because they have been itching to buy something. Just one possibility.
post #289 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post

When $200 HD DVD standalone players become more available by 4th quarter 07...

I'll personally buy you the next HDMI 1.3 Pioneer Elite Receiver if there's a single HD DVD player at $199 new at retail. You can quote me on that.

Toshiba has been subsidizing every player and you expect players, just because they're no name brands like Venturer etc... to sell for $199?

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #290 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

eight, are you talking about MSRP price or actual price? I presume you're talking about stand-alones not drives?
post #291 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh look, we are halfway through the first quarter of the Superbowl and the Colts are ahead of the Bears 8 to 6 (57% to 43%). The Colts are just absolutely destroying the Bears! Realistically, just how much longer can the Bears hold out with this kind of wholesale slaughter.

You gotta admit the blu ray made a real comeback after the ps3 release. If this is any indication and the releases from hd, the lead will only grow. Universal needs to bring out knock out hits, half baked, jerk and the game isn't gonna cut it when blu ray has, spiderman, cars, Pirates, bad boys, bond and the Rock. Just by looking @ all the releases, looks like univeral brought a knife to a machine gun fight.
post #292 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

Actually, 59% vs 41% is almost a 50% lead. Huge and certainly statistically significant. Do the math

I live in Detroit an my wife works in the auto industry & despite your misinformed sarcasm, you obviously haven't read the business sections of any worthy publications. The Michigan economy is worst in the nation and has been decimated by factory closings from the domestics and mass lay offs.

Ford reported a $12.7 Billion dollar loss for 2006 (Yes, BILLION) yesterday and GM is expected to lay off 10s of thousands over the next few years and close even more plants.

Perhaps educate yourself a little better before you accuse others of FUD. It is apparent that the only FUD here is yours.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #293 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpeed6 View Post

You gotta admit the blu ray made a real comeback after the ps3 release. If this is any indication and the releases from hd, the lead will only grow. Universal needs to bring out knock out hits, half baked, jerk and the game isn't gonna cut it when blu ray has, spiderman, cars, Pirates, bad boys, bond and the Rock. Just by looking @ all the releases, looks like univeral brought a knife to a machine gun fight.

Don't forget yesterday's big announcement!

I like this sentence...

"Though the press release does not provide the whole list of titles nor any confirmed street dates or disc specs, it is a nice preview of what HD DVD fans can to look forward to in the months ahead."

I think it's great that the HD DVD boys will have something to buy. No doubt about it, this is good news for HD DVD (finally some kind of "release schedule") and not so great for BD. But as far as the war is concerned, it's the blockbuster new releases that will lead the sales, don't you think?

Who among us doesn't want Lebowski. I really want BSG, but seriously, how much of the whole nation will, instead buy these titles MSpeed6 just mentioned?
post #294 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 AM

"Who among us doesn't want Lebowski."

If you are referring to the movie where the word "dude" was said like 1,000 times, I'll pass. My friend made me watch it with him, what a horrible movie.
post #295 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Actually, 59% vs 41% is almost a 50% lead. Huge and certainly statistically significant. Do the math

In a U.S. Presidential race, this would be considered a crushing landslide!

Popular Vote

Reagan 50.7%

Carter 41.0%
post #296 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

If you are referring to the movie where the word "dude" was said like 1,000 times, I'll pass. My friend made me watch it with him, what a horrible movie.

DUDE! Who grew you?!!!

J/K. No, it's not for everyone.
post #297 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

That's just, like, your OPINION. man.
post #298 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The pertinent question is "what is the volume of discs DVD Empire is shipping" Percentages tell us little until we know what volume of discs are shipping per month.
post #299 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha View Post

DUDE! Who grew you?!!!

J/K. No, it's not for everyone.

I totally thought I'd like it too. I like most the actors in it, John Turturro, Jeff Bridges, Buscemi. My friend said he hated it the first time but now loves it (some woman made him watch it again, lol).. I guess that could be true for me if I ever watched it again, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

That's just, like, your OPINION. man.

yeah dude, I have opinions
post #300 of 11556 Old 01-26-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Like it or not, big budget blockbusters make money and sell formats. Bluray has lots of them and more coming out. HD seems to pump out alot of low budget cult movies which don't have much of an appeal to the general audience. Don't get me wrong, I loved "Endless sunshine of the spotless mind", but not a movie to sell a format and neither is "40year virgin" or "Brokeback".
I have both spotless and 40yearold virgin in SD dvd, would I upgrade them to HD??? probably not, its really not the kinda movies to showcase HD.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page