BLU-RAY SALES THREAD: Put all sales figures and comments here! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eightninesuited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, Republic of Canuckistan
Posts: 4,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Night at the Museum made more money than Casino Royale.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
eightninesuited is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Edgewater, nj, usa
Posts: 3,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Of the 9 movies seen there, there are 3 I care about as far as seeing them in HD goes. 1 is exclusive to blu-ray (night at the museum), one is exclusive to HD (smokin aces) , and Pans Labrinth I'm not sure about.

While the movies sony and fox make, tend to make a lot of money, they usually turn out to be pretty crappy films imho.

chap is online now  
post #453 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tlreddragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chap View Post

While the movies sony and fox make, tend to make a lot of money, they usually turn out to be pretty crappy films imho.

Not that it really makes a difference, but Rottentomatoes agrees with you too.

BD- 134
HD DVD- 98


"I have been told by a very reliable contact that Universal should announce neutrality during CES 2008..." -beatboy77
tlreddragon is offline  
post #454 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MSpeed6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
same could be said about universal. Kingkong was essentially an awful movie, yet made alot of money. I think the last big hit for universal was "you me and depree" which was slightly better then kingkong and yet still awful catagory.
MSpeed6 is offline  
post #455 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
camaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London, Great Britain
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post

96% of an insignificant market is still insignificant.

It's all significant! This is a battle between two competitors. A 96% market share is pretty much game over for HD DVD in Japan. Now, what you might be trying to say, badly, is doesn't make much difference to worldwide share. You might be right but Japan have 43% of the US population and the second largest economy in the world. How long can Universal and Weinstein hold out in Japan and Korea? What if we start to add more countries?

Quote:


Here is the graph of Blu-ray sales vs. HD-DVD sales for the past 7 days courtesy of hdgamedb.com

Just for the record, BD actually hit 300 on the 24th. Oddly HDgame seems to downgrade the ranking when it adds the information to the 7 day view
camaj is offline  
post #456 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
camaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London, Great Britain
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The point is that popular films tend to be popular on video. When people are looking at the titles available, chances are they'll find what they like on BD. "Quality" is subjective, the format with the most critically acclaimed titles would be easily beaten by the won with the most popular titles
camaj is offline  
post #457 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
george king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
camaj,

you miss the point. The overwhelming majority of people on this board, for a long time argued that it would ALL be over once the PS3 was released, because it would immediately sell millions upon millions of units, and there would be millions and millions of BD players in peoples homes. Those millions upon millions of potential buyers were the carrot for studios to make BD movies and stay with BD as the sole source, because if those people bought discs, the studios would make a lot of money.

However, the PS3 is not selling millions upon millions of players. Indeed, sales have been below expectations in general, and particularly in Japan. If those players arent selling, then there are fewer people buying discs. At a certain level, as I said this has noting to do with the Xbox, because the xbox was not marketed as a HD DVD player.

To reverse your argument, how long can the studios ignore HD DVD owners, who apparently have a predicted annual attach rate of approximately 28 movies. That is a lot of money the BD exclusive studios are leaving on the table.
george king is offline  
post #458 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
george king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
brianmonkey,

no one said people werent using the PS3 as a BD player, the question is how many people are using them as players.

Sketcha,

Millions? Those are units shipped. There are plenty of threads indicating that the actual sales arent that great.
george king is offline  
post #459 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seriously, stop.
GizmoDVD is offline  
post #460 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
theforce8686's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chap View Post


While the movies sony and fox make, tend to make a lot of money, they usually turn out to be pretty crappy films imho.

Do you support the format that has as its top "reference movies" Hulk, Chronicles of Riddick, Serenity and King Kong? Are those the high quality flicks Sony should aspire to make?
theforce8686 is offline  
post #461 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
necrolop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From a business standpoint I geuss this is good for us. But Epic Movie on bluray, do I even need to go any further? I bet its as good as Date Movie.

CROPPED < OAR < OPEN MATTE -- OOOOH I SAID IT!
necrolop is offline  
post #462 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
C'mon... Serenity was great!
81% at rottentomatoes... 87% being the cream of the crop critics.
Dave Mack is offline  
post #463 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
camaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London, Great Britain
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by george king View Post

camaj,
you miss the point.

I think you may have! We're talking about market share, now you're talking about how badly (you say) the PS3 is selling!

Quote:


The overwhelming majority of people on this board, for a long time argued that it would ALL be over once the PS3 was released, because it would immediately sell millions upon millions of units

I don't think anyone said they'd sell millions immediately! What you say is correct, it just won't happen straight away. I don't know the sales but they've been fairly strong and it's been enough to catapult BD's market share (in the US) by an astonishing amount
camaj is offline  
post #464 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
AnthonyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 17,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:



you miss the point. The overwhelming majority of people on this board, for a long time argued that it would ALL be over once the PS3 was released, because it would immediately sell millions upon millions of units, and there would be millions and millions of BD players in peoples homes. Those millions upon millions of potential buyers were the carrot for studios to make BD movies and stay with BD as the sole source, because if those people bought discs, the studios would make a lot of money.

no one thought that on day one HD DVD would disappear off the face of the world. But just before the PS3 HD DVD was outselling BD 2:1 or 3:1 if you look at the more reasonable estimates and now IBD is outselling HD DVD 2:1 and the difference is growing every day
Quote:


However, the PS3 is not selling millions upon millions of players. Indeed, sales have been below expectations in general, and particularly in Japan. If those players arent selling, then there are fewer people buying discs. At a certain level, as I said this has noting to do with the Xbox, because the xbox was not marketed as a HD DVD player.

so you are comparing 2M to 200k and 2M growing by tens of thousands every day while the 200k is barely moving
Quote:


To reverse your argument, how long can the studios ignore HD DVD owners, who apparently have a predicted annual attach rate of approximately 28 movies. That is a lot of money the BD exclusive studios are leaving on the table.

Because they came up with that 28 when HD DVD was selling well (around Aug of last year) since then many HD DVD supporters have tried BD and realized a lot of what was said was BS
AnthonyP is offline  
post #465 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Elwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by george king View Post

To reverse your argument, how long can the studios ignore HD DVD owners, who apparently have a predicted annual attach rate of approximately 28 movies. That is a lot of money the BD exclusive studios are leaving on the table.

Huh? Why don't you apply your own logic here.

28 attach to a small (minority) market is still, well, a small (minority) market.

Also, as an aside (not relevant to this discussion), I thought I'd fix a statement for you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by george king View Post

Yet, here in NA, the Xbox does fairly well, in EU - not so much

Elwar is offline  
post #466 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beatboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

Basically says that Fox has already broken even financially on this movie after just one weekend.

~Josh

hidefpreview
beatboy77 is offline  
post #467 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Edgewater, nj, usa
Posts: 3,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 View Post

Do you support the format that has as its top "reference movies" Hulk, Chronicles of Riddick, Serenity and King Kong? Are those the high quality flicks Sony should aspire to make?

Serenity was amazing!!! I also got King Kong for free and still have yet to watch it.

I do admit to buying the hulk as a showoff piece. Its gorgeous and I can pop it in for that fact alone. If Sony and Fox put out garbage that looks that good I MIGHT buy it. That still doesn't change the fact that a lot of the movies on that list that are sony/fox movies don't appeal to me personally, nor can I fathom wanting to see them in HD. However if they do look as good as Hulk then maybe I'll change my mind.

Please don't take what I said as a blu-ray bashing. It was strictly a Sony/Fox bashing. AS I said there was 1 blu-ray title from that list I wanted and 1 HD-DVD title that I would want. I will buy for both formats though I still want HD-DVD to win.

There are a few movies that Sony has made recently that I want to buy on blu-ray like Casino Royale, but Sony and Fox do pump out a lot of garbage throughout the year. The fact that they make a lot of money doesn't make them any better.

chap is online now  
post #468 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Most american movies regardless of studio are indeed crap...

Dave Mack is offline  
post #469 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tlreddragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Most american movies regardless of studio are indeed crap...


I agree, although there are also many crappy foreign movies too.

BD- 134
HD DVD- 98


"I have been told by a very reliable contact that Universal should announce neutrality during CES 2008..." -beatboy77
tlreddragon is offline  
post #470 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
hassoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

Basically says that Fox has already broken even financially on this movie after just one weekend.

~Josh

Great. Now they'll NEVER stop making these mindless spoof movies !
hassoon is offline  
post #471 of 11556 Old 01-28-2007, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
necrolop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fox has done a good job killing the possibility that any good spoofs will come out, like Airplane. I wish the average IQ was above 75 and people would stop going to such ****** movies, but until we let the south succeed I guess that'll never happen

CROPPED < OAR < OPEN MATTE -- OOOOH I SAID IT!
necrolop is offline  
post #472 of 11556 Old 01-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Senior Member
 
I Superman I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood California
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 View Post

Do you support the format that has as its top "reference movies" Hulk, Chronicles of Riddick, Serenity and King Kong? Are those the high quality flicks Sony should aspire to make?

I was actually thinking the same thing myself. I was going over RottenTomato's Top 50 best movies, and right there at their number 1 is a huge BD title, Casino Royale. Then I decided to look through their, "Worst of 2006" their Moldy tomato's, and surprisingly it was actually littered with BD titles. I mean RV, Untraviolet, Underworld Evolution, Little Man, Silent Hill, The Davinci Code,the Omen,Employee of the Month, The Benchwarmers,The Grudge 2,The Wild,Annopolis, and Basic Instinct 2, with 2 of those being in the top5 worst . The only Universal title I can find on there is You Me and Dupree, though The Weinstein Company has 2 titles there aswell. Point being, BD has it's amazing quality titles as shown with their number 1 pick of Casino Royale, but right up there by it is Children of Men and United 93, but I'd say BD is plauged with WAY more stinkers then HD-DVD currently has.

I mean it may just be me, but I'll take King Kong over Click and RV.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/featur...tro=yes&type=w

CTS - Certified Technology Specialist
EAVA - Extron Certified AV Associate
I Superman I is offline  
post #473 of 11556 Old 01-29-2007, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cartersville, GA
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's wrong with King Kong? The story is the aspect that blows, but the film is very well made. Is it just too long?
scitek is offline  
post #474 of 11556 Old 01-29-2007, 04:04 AM
Member
 
DragonStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Every week when you look at the box office takings ; it seems as if the Blu-ray studios are dominating on a continuous basis.

So maybe you won't like anything this week. But during the whole year, you can bet your ass that BD exclusives would amount to a lot of (unmissable) quality titles.
DragonStar is offline  
post #475 of 11556 Old 01-29-2007, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
camaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London, Great Britain
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post

What's wrong with King Kong?

My guess is that "The story is the aspect that blows". Just a hunch! Poor writing = poor film. Doesn't matter how good the acting or the director is if they have nothing to work with
camaj is offline  
post #476 of 11556 Old 01-29-2007, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeff Lampert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
same could be said about universal. Kingkong was essentially an awful movie, yet made alot of money

You may not have liked it, but KIng Kong was a very well-reviewed movie.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/king_kong/
Jeff Lampert is offline  
post #477 of 11556 Old 01-29-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MSpeed6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
King kong was awful boring, fell sleep though it. But I thought Lord of the rings was boring also. Don't care for movies with good reviews, i bought Lost in translation because of all the good reviews and now use it as a coaster.
MSpeed6 is offline  
post #478 of 11556 Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cartersville, GA
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj View Post

My guess is that "The story is the aspect that blows". Just a hunch! Poor writing = poor film. Doesn't matter how good the acting or the director is if they have nothing to work with


Well, I'm saying the King Kong story in general is just stupid. It's never been good. The original is loved because of what it did for special effects and the 70s remake is liked by many for being "so bad it's good." I thought the Jackson remake was a very well-made film and did a great job of making the best of a weak plot.
scitek is offline  
post #479 of 11556 Old 01-29-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Kosty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North East USA
Posts: 14,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The sales numbers we have access to show trends and snapshots of the data.

Its undeniable that Blu-ray's sales have increased while HD DVD sales have remained relatively constant.

The issue is whether or not that recent surge will be sustained by Blu-ray so that sales will move past and then surpass and remain higher than HD DVD, or whether or not new HD DVD 2nd generation and Xbox 360 add on sales moving into retail inventory and new HD DVD movie releases will move HD DVD sales off their current plateaus.

The Blu-ray surge has so far been of relatively short duration and its basically achieved parity with HD DVD. If thats a best shot by Blu-ray with a fortunate set of circumstances, then HD DVD sales will eventually recover their upward trend and will rise past Blu-ray.

If the PS3 attach rates rise , Blu-ray sales will rise, but if they are pegged only to initial PS3 sales then any PS3 sales slowdown after Xmas will soon show up in those trends.

I believe the data was relatively accurate when HD DVD was leading and now when Blu-ray has surged and achieved both near term parity and for now what has been a short term sales lead.

.
"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno


follow me on Twitter
Kosty is offline  
post #480 of 11556 Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Kosty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North East USA
Posts: 14,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

I am glad we have a few statisticians on this thread so, let me recap for the others:

1. Both formats have a positive trend which does not show that either format is flagging, and this is not looking like the UMD trend!

2. Avg rank trend slop is higher for BD, so it does show that there is more purchase taking place for that format.

3. However, the slope of new titles trend and released titles trend is higher or greater than the sales rank trend slope.

4. This shows that HD DVD will need fewer titles to match the sales rank of BD - given other things stay as they are.

My point is that the current trends on dvdwars by no means shows weakening of HD DVD, while showing adoption for BD. The recent slew of new titles IMHO has more to do with the sales ranking than the PS3. The PS3 impact is there, but it's the relative lack of HD DVD titles that is effecting the rankings.....should not be surprising.

dvdwars is a valuable source for analysis....

Agree mostly here.

I think all of the sites together give a more complete picture than any one of them alone.

All of them have improved their data sets within the last few weeks. It will be interesting to see how the trends with these new tracking tools do over time.

.
"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno


follow me on Twitter
Kosty is offline  
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off