BLU-RAY SALES THREAD: Put all sales figures and comments here! - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 11556 Old 02-16-2007, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauneyM View Post

has better studio support, but no low-price manufacturers, and no statements of intent.

Funai announced such a player just yesterday.

Actually, its funny you mention Wal*Mart, since Funai is a major supplier, especially at Black Friday (TVs, DVD players) and get 30% of their revenue from Wal*Mart (link).

Not saying that Funai is going to be supplying a cheap Wal*Mart branded Blu-ray player anytime soon, but it'll be interesting to see what happens this holiday season, thats for sure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 11556 Old 02-16-2007, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj View Post

It puzzles me when people seem to believe that Blu-ray is somehow going to stay the same price for the next 10 years despite this trend being true for almost every CE or computer product. If J6P wants a $500 Blu-ray player, he'll have to wait like he had to wait for DVD to come down.

Just for fun I will go into various retail electronics outlets and ask employees where their Blu-ray and HD DVD players are. There is always this blank look or "Is that the new iPod" type response. A few CC or BB employees seem to know what they are.

There may be a cheaper Blu-ray player sooner than I thought, see the story at Yahoo
post #903 of 11556 Old 02-17-2007, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwar View Post

Funai announced such a player just yesterday.

I beg to differ. That report set the price at $500, end of 2007.

$500 is still more than double the limit for the average consumer. Keep in mind that they're comparing this thing to a $69 off-brand SD player or a $99 brand-name version. $199? Maybe. $500 - not even close.

Frankly, if $500 was low enough to really grab the major market, the Toshiba A1 and A2 would have sold far more units.....

No - we need to see price points more like $200 for one or the other format to gain any real traction in the mass market.
post #904 of 11556 Old 02-17-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:

You're differing on something entirely different to what you started on.

>>>>HD DVD has some support from the low-price manufacturers (no products yet, but at least they have declared intent)

You said Blu-ray had no low-price manufacturers commited, I proved they do. Whether or not the price is mass-market is irrelevant (and unknown).

The fact is, Blu-ray now has as much actual intent from any one low price manufacturer as HD-DVD, maybe even more in the form of a timeframe, whodathunkit?
post #905 of 11556 Old 02-17-2007, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the 'average consumer' and 'J6P' talk - who is buying PS3s, and will buy them by the millions as actual popular games come out for them and during the next holiday season? Not only the well-off, or videophiles, or even hardcore gamers. Average consumers are now dropping $1k on a HDTV.

When Wal*Mart is selling it, the average consumer is buying it. Now, $500 is not impulse buy territory, and most people will at least figure out that HD and Blu ray aren't compatible before dropping that money (or return it in anger after they do). But it's the titles and the format war, not the price, that will keep people away.
post #906 of 11556 Old 02-17-2007, 08:59 AM

lol
post #907 of 11556 Old 02-17-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're differing on something entirely different to what you started on.

ummm....no.

Quote:

>>>>HD DVD has some support from the low-price manufacturers (no products yet, but at least they have declared intent)

You said Blu-ray had no low-price manufacturers commited, I proved they do.

No. $500 is not 'low-price' for a DVD player by any standard.

Quote:

Whether or not the price is mass-market is irrelevant (and unknown).

You're twisting your logic a bit too far. My whole point (look back at my postings) is that until there are players available for $200 or less, it just ain't gonna get mass adoption. I've been very clear and consistent with this view.

Tell ya what - I'll challenge you. Go down to Wal-Mart and Target and pick 20 people at random. Ask them if they think a $500 DVD player is 'low-cost'. I'd be very interested in your results.

As for your statement re: BD vs. HD DVD - Toshiba is already below the $500 price point for a player. Nobody in the general public is considering it low-cost; if they did, the war would have been over before the PS3 came out, and we can see how that turned out. BD having a manufacturer who has committed to catching up with Toshiba's price point doesn't bring either format any closer to where they need to be to get the average consumer interested.
post #908 of 11556 Old 02-17-2007, 03:55 PM

Damn, you did it again, you changed your argument / or added new conditions after the fact. Either way, not cool.
Quote:

ummm....no.

No. $500 is not 'low-price' for a DVD player by any standard.

I agree. I never said it was.

Quote:

My whole point (look back at my postings) is that until there are players available for $200 or less, it just ain't gonna get mass adoption. I've been very clear and consistent with this view.

Well then with this in mind and with you not accepting my information, I'd say you flat-out lied;

>>>HD DVD has some support from the low-price manufacturers (no products yet, but at least they have declared intent)

No manufactuer has commited to $200 players, or even a price. They could very well be $400-500 from these" low-price manufacturers". Likely $300. They will not be $200.

I contend that you including them in your post in the first post was deliberately misleading in the context of your current argument.

Either you accept that a "low-price" manufacturer is releasing a BD player or you agree that no "low-price" manufacturer is definitely releasing a player for either format. Certainly I doubt you should go around implying that $200 players are on the way for HD-DVD...
Quote:

Go down to Wal-Mart and Target and pick 20 people at random. Ask them if they think a $500 DVD player is 'low-cost'. I'd be very interested in your results.

Irrelevant.

Quote:

As for your statement re: BD vs. HD DVD - Toshiba is already below the $500 price point for a player. Nobody in the general public is considering it low-cost; if they did, the war would have been over before the PS3 came out, and we can see how that turned out. BD having a manufacturer who has committed to catching up with Toshiba's price point doesn't bring either format any closer to where they need to be to get the average consumer interested.

Irrelevant. That is one point of your argument I never disagreed with.
post #909 of 11556 Old 02-17-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn, you did it again, you changed your argument / or added new conditions after the fact. Either way, not cool.

No, I didn't. I've been VERY consistent with my position.

You seem to be biased towards one of the formats. I am not. I view this from a plain marketing perspective, not from a position of trying to find support for one or the other format being destined to win.

Quote:

Well then with this in mind and with you not accepting my information, I'd say you flat-out lied;

That's a pretty offensive statement. Would you say that to my face, in the same room? Somehow, I doubt it - it's far to easy to hide behind the internet.

HD DVD had several low-cost vendors make statements of intent at CES. This was done with the Toshiba A2 price point (<$500) well established. It is reasonable to assume that for them to be in the HD DVD game, they will have to be below Toshiba's price. Is this in writing? No. Is it a reasonable assumption for anyone in the industry? Yes.

The first statement of intent for BD has just arrived, and gives a price point that is equal to the MSRP of the A2, but significantly below any of the currently available standalone BD players. It is also still far too high for mass adoption.

BTW, go back and look at what I actually wrote - not what you seem to THINK I wrote.

I said:
Quote:

HD DVD has some support from the low-price manufacturers (no products yet, but at least they have declared intent), but not enough studio support.

I NEVER SAID THAT ANYONE HAD DECLARED A $200 PLAYER - YOU DID! WHere? Here:
Quote:

Funai announced such a player just yesterday

The players I was talking about were $200 players. Nobody on either side has announced such a player - that is the core of the argument I've been making since the beginning.

If anyone was 'lying' (to use your words), it was you when you made this statement. Funai has NOT announced 'such a player' - they have announced another $500 player - which won't solve the main problem of competing with SD DVD in any way, shape, or form.

I fully resent being called a liar when you clearly didn't read what I wrote.

Now, I will freely admit that I was mistaken when I said that there were no 'low-cost manufacturers' lined up behind BD - I hadn't seen the Funai announcement yet. Being mistaken, however, is not the same as lying. By the same token, a 'low-cost manufacturer' is not the same thing as a $200 player - which I NEVER SAID HAD BEEN ANNOUNCED. However, I will hold to my point that the Funai announcement does NOT open the door for anything in the price range that will be needed to successfully place HD media into the mainstream.
post #910 of 11556 Old 02-17-2007, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

No - we need to see price points more like $200 for one or the other format to gain any real traction in the mass market.

Just to point this out but EVD, which is a cheap Chinese HD disc format, is currently being sold for about $80 in China. Point being that a lower price does not guarantee victory since there are many factors that determine whether a video format does well. Also Toshiba's HD DVD players, which I believe are subsidized, have done an incredible job of keeping away other major CE manufacturers from supporting HD DVD. Think about this for a second. Not one stand alone HD DVD player has been released yet for under $1000 that has not been made by Toshiba.

Quote:

HD DVD had several low-cost vendors make statements of intent at CES. This was done with the Toshiba A2 price point (<$500) well established. It is reasonable to assume that for them to be in the HD DVD game, they will have to be below Toshiba's price. Is this in writing? No. Is it a reasonable assumption for anyone in the industry? Yes.

No offense but you are assuming a lot and not all of your assumptions are very logical. For instance none of the Chinese CE companies that announced plans for HD DVD players gave an expected price, features, or release date. As such you are putting a lot of hope on very little information.

Quote:

Funai has NOT announced 'such a player' - they have announced another $500 player - which won't solve the main problem of competing with SD DVD in any way, shape, or form.

For someone who keeps saying that you are format neutral you seem to post a lot of the arguments that only the more devoted HD DVD promoters/supporters post. For instance do you have any evidence at all that Blu-ray won't be able to compete with DVD in the long term?

Quote:

Now, I will freely admit that I was mistaken when I said that there were no 'low-cost manufacturers' lined up behind BD - I hadn't seen the Funai announcement yet.

You also forgot about Samsung and LG. No offense but from what I can see the only thing Blu-ray companies are trying to do is to actually make a profit on the Blu-ray players they sell. As time goes on costs will go down and we will see lower and lower priced Blu-ray players. It is neither logical or reasonable to believe that Blu-ray players will not lower in price the same way that DVD players did.
post #911 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:

No, I didn't. I've been VERY consistent with my position.

No.

Quote:

You seem to be biased towards one of the formats. I am not. I view this from a plain marketing perspective, not from a position of trying to find support for one or the other format being destined to win.

I am a realist, you are not. I also view this from a plain marketing perspective, I love being an armchair analyst.

Bringing accusations of bias into this just highlights your weak position.

Quote:

That's a pretty offensive statement. Would you say that to my face, in the same room? Somehow, I doubt it - it's far to easy to hide behind the internet.

Wow, how childish. I'd like to say I would, but then, you'd say I wouldn't, and probably that you're a 6'11" blackbelt. Tsk tsk.

Quote:

HD DVD had several low-cost vendors make statements of intent at CES.

I agree.

Quote:

This was done with the Toshiba A2 price point (<$500) well established. It is reasonable to assume that for them to be in the HD DVD game, they will have to be below Toshiba's price. Is this in writing? No. Is it a reasonable assumption for anyone in the industry? Yes.

Its not only a reasonable assumption, its the most likely scenario. However, that doesn't mean the player is $200, which in your second response to me you declared was what was needed for it to be from a low-price manufacturer.

Quote:

The first statement of intent for BD has just arrived, and gives a price point that is equal to the MSRP of the A2, but significantly below any of the currently available standalone BD players. It is also still far too high for mass adoption.

Never disagreed with this.

Quote:

I NEVER SAID THAT ANYONE HAD DECLARED A $200 PLAYER - YOU DID! WHere? Here:

I never stated a price, just that Funai is a well known low-price manufacturer.

Quote:

The players I was talking about were $200 players. Nobody on either side has announced such a player - that is the core of the argument I've been making since the beginning.

You've been arguing that HD-DVD had low-cost manufacturers showing intent to produce such a player, and as a refute to me, that such a player would be $200. Logical leap? More like a logical conclusion.

Quote:

If anyone was 'lying' (to use your words), it was you when you made this statement. Funai has NOT announced 'such a player' - they have announced another $500 player

The two statements don't contradict one another, reading comprehension for the lose?

I'll bold it for you, so you can understand my position that you've obviously mistakenly comprehended.

A low-price manufacturer has announced a BD player.

That does not mean the player is low-price/mass-market priced.
Quote:

which won't solve the main problem of competing with SD DVD in any way, shape, or form.

I couldn't agree more.

Quote:

I fully resent being called a liar when you clearly didn't read what I wrote.

I did, perhaps you need to re-read the last few posts and try to frame them in the appropriate context?

Quote:

By the same token, a 'low-cost manufacturer' is not the same thing as a $200 player - which I NEVER SAID HAD BEEN ANNOUNCED.

I never said you did.

Quote:

However, I will hold to my point that the Funai announcement does NOT open the door for anything in the price range that will be needed to successfully place HD media into the mainstream.

Agreed.

To clarify for you, I think you went wrong with this line:

>>>>>I beg to differ. That report set the price at $500, end of 2007.

Thus refuting that Funai is a low-price manufacturer and has announced a BD player. Neither can you really argue successfully.

Perhaps you felt compelled to state correctly that the player isn't mass-marketable at that price (I would've simply agreed and moved on), or you thought I meant that it was a mass-market player, but it certainly set you on the back foot.
post #912 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 01:59 AM

Would a $200 player retail at $200 or would the street price be lower? If it's selling on the street for $200, what would be its quoted MSRP? Seems to me that at lot of the low-cost Chinese HDTVs are sold at least 20%-30% below the quoted MSRP on their manufacturer's website. Even the Toshiba's and Samsung's street prices are below their MSRPs. A MSRP $500 player could very well be sold for $250-$300. Especially if someone like Wal-Mart chose it as a loss leader to get people into their stores on black friday.

What do you expect the street price will be on the Funai Blu-ray player if it has a $500 MSRP?
post #913 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 03:00 AM

Blu-ray sales figure mentioned in press release for Blu-ray launch in Australia (February 14, 2007):

Quote:

Globally, Blu-ray continues to grow as the natural choice, next generation format. In the United States, Hollywood Studios are selling upwards of 45,000 Blu-ray titles weekly, with predictions showing steady growth driven by increasing hardware sales.

Source: http://www.blurayaustralia.com.au/ne...tech_FINAL.pdf
post #914 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 05:08 AM

I'm amazed at how people argue the price thing. When companies release new products, of course there usually expensive. They are trying to recoup their development cost! As that happens they usually go to work in tweaking their designs to get manufacturing cost down. Its usually takes time for the prices to fall. This happens with everything. It happened with VHS machines, DVD players, and currently HDTVs are going through it. How can one expect companies to release a $200 Blu-ray or less player when its all new technology. It will come down in time, it always does and SD-DVD will be a thing of the past. All you can really argue is how long will it take. Sure companies can sell below their cost points trying to speed everything up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think its silly to expect a new technology like Blu-ray or HD-DVD to be selling at the same price point or even slightly higher to SD-DVDs when it just coming out of the gate.

/\/\arshall \/\/atts
post #915 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Amazon sales rankings for both formats seem to be rebounding.
post #916 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$500 is still more than double the limit for the average consumer. Keep in mind that they're comparing this thing to a $69 off-brand SD player or a $99 brand-name version. $199? Maybe. $500 - not even close.

Frankly, if $500 was low enough to really grab the major market, the Toshiba A1 and A2 would have sold far more units.....

Agreed. I dont think either format will become dominate until we see $199 and $299 dollars players.
post #917 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post

Would a $200 player retail at $200 or would the street price be lower?
[...]
What do you expect the street price will be on the Funai Blu-ray player if it has a $500 MSRP?

Probably about the same as the Toshiba A2 that lists at $500 - just under $400 if you look hard enough. This isn't low enough yet, IMHO.
post #918 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

The Amazon sales rankings for both formats seem to be rebounding.

Blu-ray now has 3 titles (Departed, Prestige, Casino Royale) in the top 50. Not top 100, but top 50.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #919 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watts2 View Post

I'm amazed at how people argue the price thing. When companies release new products, of course there usually expensive. They are trying to recoup their development cost!
[...]
I think its silly to expect a new technology like Blu-ray or HD-DVD to be selling at the same price point or even slightly higher to SD-DVDs when it just coming out of the gate.

Yes, the manufacturers have to recoup their costs somewhere. The issue is that you won't get mass adoption for either of these formats until the players get down to the mass-market price point.

This is made worse by the fact that today you can't pick either format and get all the HD movies in print. Both sides can bluster all they want about what MIGHT happen with Universal and/or Disney (and some will be right, while some will be wrong), but the fact is, someone who buys a HD DVD or BD player today is taking a chance that they are backing a losing format, and is guaranteeing that they cannot today buy every HD movie that they may want to buy.

Given that (and I don't think anyone is seriously arguing this point), the first format to put players out in the mainstream outlets at mass-market pricing is the most likely to win. The faster this happens, the better - sooner makes them more likely to be able to put a dent in SD DVD.

Now, if BD were to get Universal to go neutral within the next couple of months(not very likely, but probably far more possible than Fox/Disney going neutral en masse), HD DVD would be dead. No recount, no CPR, no autopsy - dead. Not even a good porn flick or two could get HD DVDs back up into the fight. However, BD would STILL have to get some mass-market players out there fairly quickly, or BD will prove to be yet another failed Sony format.....and none of us get HD discs.
post #920 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

Blu-ray now has 3 titles (Departed, Prestige, Casino Royale) in the top 50. Not top 100, but top 50.

OP updated!! This is exciting news for Blu-ray, and for the adoption of high-definition media overall.

A great day indeed.

Wait until POtC and Pixar's Cars etc. are closer to release could we have 5-6 in the top 50??
post #921 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sweet
post #922 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As of 2:50PM on Amazon:

The Departed #25
The Prestige #36
Casino Royale #46
post #923 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

To have $200 player, you need to first have $500 player. Enough units need to be sold to make technology comodity available at low prices.

If cost of BD drive is $120 ALONE, you can not expect price to come down to $200 anytime soon, because cost of hardware is a lot bigger than that.

Thanks to PS3 sales, that will happen sooner than later, because there is no way in the world that standalone player would have been produced in millions as PS3 has so far.

Panasonic 50PV70 Plasma - Sony Bravia KDF-E50A10 - Sony PS3 - Pioneer NS-DV990 - BSky HD -
post #924 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf View Post

If cost of BD drive is $120 ALONE

Now that's interesting. I remember initial specs for the PS3 BD player (lol) having a unit cost of $200.

Since then, Isuppli revised it down to $150.

Now, it's $120 ... does that mean that Sony is still losing as much on the PS3???
post #925 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Now, if BD were to get Universal to go neutral within the next couple of months(not very likely, but probably far more possible than Fox/Disney going neutral en masse), HD DVD would be dead. No recount, no CPR, no autopsy - dead. Not even a good porn flick or two could get HD DVDs back up into the fight. However, BD would STILL have to get some mass-market players out there fairly quickly, or BD will prove to be yet another failed Sony format.....and none of us get HD discs.

Just curious but why exactly do Blu-ray players have to get down to DVD player prices quickly? I hear a lot of HD DVD supporters say this but I have never seen any logical explanation for why that is needed. That didn't happen with DVD players, which took years to get to mainstream prices, and personally I think DVD has done pretty well.

Quote:

Impressive, and as of right now that continues to be the case.
post #926 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:

And its only going to get better with many titles in the pipeline. As blu-ray sales climb studio support will climb.
post #927 of 11556 Old 02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

Just curious but why exactly do Blu-ray players have to get down to DVD player prices quickly? I hear a lot of HD DVD supporters say this but I have never seen any logical explanation for why that is needed. That didn't happen with DVD players, which took years to get to mainstream prices, and personally I think DVD has done pretty well.

Yes, but DVD was a quantum leap over VHS, and showed its massively better performance on almost any TV in any household. HD media, OTOH, isn't as much of a clear improvement because:

1) Not all households have HD displays yet, much less 1080i/1080p displays.

2) Upconverted SD DVD looks pretty good, even if it's not as good as HD DVD.

3) SD DVDs dont suffer from the dropouts and other obvious PQ defects apparent in VHS. These made VHS annoying to even casual users, while SD DVD is not viewed as 'problematic' or 'defective' by most consumers.

4) Consumers have already made the leap to optical media (SD DVD) from magnetic media (VHS). HD DVD and BD are just more optical media, so the major benefits of moving away from tape simply aren't there in this transition.

Bottom line: HD media needs to sell the buying public on the reasons they 'need' to convert from SD DVD. It's going to be a much tougher sell than SD DVD was, so the price will have to be closer to current SD DVD prices before mass adoption will occur.

BTW, I don't think that this is a BD issue, per se. It's an issue for either or both HD formats. IMHO, neither can be successful at the existing price points. If they languish too long at a 'premium' price point, we'll have another laserdisc on our hands.....
post #928 of 11556 Old 02-19-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Yes, but DVD was a quantum leap over VHS, and showed its massively better performance on almost any TV in any household. HD media, OTOH, isn't as much of a clear improvement because:

1) Not all households have HD displays yet, much less 1080i/1080p displays.

2) Upconverted SD DVD looks pretty good, even if it's not as good as HD DVD.

3) SD DVDs dont suffer from the dropouts and other obvious PQ defects apparent in VHS. These made VHS annoying to even casual users, while SD DVD is not viewed as 'problematic' or 'defective' by most consumers.

4) Consumers have already made the leap to optical media (SD DVD) from magnetic media (VHS). HD DVD and BD are just more optical media, so the major benefits of moving away from tape simply aren't there in this transition.

Bottom line: HD media needs to sell the buying public on the reasons they 'need' to convert from SD DVD. It's going to be a much tougher sell than SD DVD was, so the price will have to be closer to current SD DVD prices before mass adoption will occur.

BTW, I don't think that this is a BD issue, per se. It's an issue for either or both HD formats. IMHO, neither can be successful at the existing price points. If they languish too long at a 'premium' price point, we'll have another laserdisc on our hands.....

The laserdisc analogy doesn't work, as LD movies were outrageously priced. This was the reason, amongst others (physical size of discs, multiple discs etc..) that LD never became mainstream.

Also the transition from VHS to DVD sold many people on Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 sound systems, which BD will do for HDTVs. People are already buying HDTVs at a high rate, and they will want something to show off their HD picture eventually, so HD movie players will start selling more. With more brands of players entering the market, prices will get competitive like DVD did.

BD movies owned = 69
post #929 of 11556 Old 02-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilka View Post

Now that's interesting. I remember initial specs for the PS3 BD player (lol) having a unit cost of $200.

Since then, Isuppli revised it down to $150.

Now, it's $120 ... does that mean that Sony is still losing as much on the PS3???

apsolutly... look at it this way - DVD drive in 360 is $100 cheaper, and thats just for optical drive, and these are only production costs.

Panasonic 50PV70 Plasma - Sony Bravia KDF-E50A10 - Sony PS3 - Pioneer NS-DV990 - BSky HD -
post #930 of 11556 Old 02-19-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Given that (and I don't think anyone is seriously arguing this point), the first format to put players out in the mainstream outlets at mass-market pricing is the most likely to win. The faster this happens, the better - sooner makes them more likely to be able to put a dent in SD DVD.

The fastest way to get people to adopt one of the hi-def formats is to kill off the other one.

you mentioned how people are reluctant to buy a player because of the fear of backing the wrong format. why would that magically disappear if hd dvd hit the "magic" $199 price point? Do you seriously think that Sony and the BDA would not engage in a price war, considering all the BILLIONS that have been invested already in Blu-ray? What makes you think players will even sell at that price when the vast majority of content is still on BD?
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page