BLU-RAY SALES THREAD: Put all sales figures and comments here! - Page 327 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9781 of 11556 Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

Funny that they didn't treat Kosty like dirt in the past when he was evangelizing the other format.

Now they bust his chops whenever they see a chance.

I always loved Blu-ray but wanted HD DVD around as a proven economical alternative until Blu-ray solved its teething issues.

But yeah, its amazing how much an idiot I became overnight when the format war ended and I clearly stated that I had no hesitation in backing Blu-ray and hoping to see that it succeeded and grew as the best high definition movie source.

I've always been consistent that its the movies and high definition and the experience that I cared about not being on one side or the other of an argument.

Just because I was passionate about defending HD DVD as an alternative and was skeptical of Blu-ray's economics did not mean I did not like Blu-ray then or now. Its the end result that matters and since Blu-ray now does everything HD DVD ever did or hoped to do even better its only logical to like it now and to enjoy watching its progress over time.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 11556 Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #9783 of 11556 Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Blu-ray Sales: Gnomeo and Juliet and Number Four

Two films could make legitimate claims for top spot on this week's Blu-ray Sales Chart. Gnomeo and Juliet topped I Am Number Four if you rank them by units at 271,000 units to 241,000 units; however, the pair finished in opposite order if you rank by dollars at $6.02 million to $5.42 million.

As far as opening week ratios are concerned, Gnomeo managed 29%, which is inline with expectations for a family film, while Number Four was stronger at 34%, but that's not quite what you would want for a visual effects heavy film. Third place went to The Mechanic with 74,000 for the week and 304,000 after two. Since the film made less than $30 million theatrically, earning $5.16 million in Blu-ray sales in just two weeks is strong.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I continues to hang around the top five adding 45,000 units / $9.48 million to its year's best totals of 2.91 million units / $65.58 million. Meanwhile, Tangled returned to the top five with 32,000 units / $597,000 over the week giving it totals of 2.52 million units and $59.22 million.

If anyone wants to argue that Blu-ray is still a niche product, I would counter with Tangled's performance. A Blu-ray ratio of just shy of 30%, for a family film, shows the format is not niche.

Unfortunately, it is still highly dependent on the quality of the new releases, and there were no others to reach the top 10, or even the top 20 this week.

Looking at the overall Blu-ray sales market, we find some complications in comparisons. Growth from last week was strong up 14% in terms of units and 25% in terms of dollars. Compared to last year, growth was... unusual. Blu-ray sales skyrocketed by 103% in terms of units and 74% in terms of dollars. However, I feel the need to point out the Blu-ray releases were exceptionally weak with no prime releases to boost sales. The best-selling Blu-ray was True Blood: Season Two, which sold less than 100,000 units. The number one selling DVD was Dear John, but as a romantic drama, it is arguably the worse genre for Blu-ray sales and sold less than 50,000 units in High Definition. On the other hand, next week 2011 will be competing with Alice in Wonderland opening week on the home market, and since it opened with more than 800,000 units sold, this is likely a one-week phenomenon as far as year-over-year growth is concerned. If we can maintain the Blu-ray ratios of 25% in terms of units and 33% in terms of dollars, then I will be more than happy, even if there are declines in year-over-year sales.

- C.S.Strowbridge

Date posted: 2011-06-08

Movies
Gnomeo and Juliet
I am Number Four
The Mechanic
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I
Tangled

http://www.the-numbers.com/interacti...hp?newsID=6274

follow me on Twitter
post #9784 of 11556 Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Looking at the overall Blu-ray sales market, we find some complications in comparisons. Growth from last week was strong up 14% in terms of units and 25% in terms of dollars. Compared to last year, growth was... unusual. Blu-ray sales skyrocketed by 103% in terms of units and 74% in terms of dollars.

The-Numbers (Nash Information Services) seems to be having a higher weekly Blu-ray estimate (or lower one from the matching 2010 week for last year than Home Media Magazine Research is estimating so far.

There is a slight difference in the two revenue reporting periods (HMM is Sun-Sat) (The-Numbers is Mon-Sun the same as the Nielsen Videoscan first alert report) by the revenues and units seem to me for the top 10 titles and the narrative seem to be consistently higher in the The-Numbers data set than in HMMs. But we never really get the total numbers only percentage growth and Top 10 Blu-ray titles data from The-Numbers so its hardly to exactly say how far apart the two estimates are or if its just a artifact of low volume weeks being compared. But then again The-Numbers DVD and Blu-ray charts based on their same methodology should be directly comparable to titles that show up on both lists.

follow me on Twitter
post #9785 of 11556 Old 06-08-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

They are encouraged by seeing any negative metric they can latch on too.

The 1Q 2011 stats energized them all over again and even when they want to ignore the obvious box office power strength of releases or 4 x $50 M weeks with better ones, it gives them a chance to luxuriate in the misery.

Of course the doom and gloomers will ignore the fact that a piss poor box office strength from Q1 2011.

Is it not obvious to some people? Blu-Ray/DVD is no differerent than any other home entertainment media (music, games, etc). If you have crappy releases that people don't see the value in buying, well, they won't buy it. No matter how low the price on release week. Convenient cheap rentals are the way to go with movies that are just not worth watching more than once. I know I am picky with new releases and I have been buying more catalog than new releases this year. Luckily catalog releases on Blu-Ray have been very strong this year compared to last year.

But new releases drive the market, not catalog.
post #9786 of 11556 Old 06-08-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Funny that they didn't treat Kosty like dirt in the past when he was evangelizing the other format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Of course the doom and gloomers will ignore the fact that a piss poor box office strength from Q1 2011.

Is it not obvious to some people? Blu-Ray/DVD is no differerent than any other home entertainment media (music, games, etc). If you have crappy releases that people don't see the value in buying, well, they won't buy it. No matter how low the price on release week. Convenient cheap rentals are the way to go with movies that are just not worth watching more than once. I know I am picky with new releases and I have been buying more catalog than new releases this year. Luckily catalog releases on Blu-Ray have been very strong this year compared to last year.

But new releases drive the market, not catalog.

Indeed.

Its not a surprise to anyone that actually follows this stuff throughout the years that box office strength of new releases affect the packaged media sell through.

Its just that 2010 releases have been so weak comparably to the same period in 2010 that it seems more of an issue and fits the gloom and doom discs are dead and everybody is going to the Internet meme.

follow me on Twitter
post #9787 of 11556 Old 06-08-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

week ending 6/05/11

Quote:

‘True Blood’ Infuses Sales Chart
8 Jun, 2011
By: Thomas K. Arnold

"True Blood"

Who says TV DVD is dead?

HBO Home Entertainment topped both national home video sales charts the week ended June 5 with the complete third season of the hit HBO vampire series “True Blood,” an elegantly packaged set that costs three times as much as a movie on DVD or Blu-ray Disc.

A quarter of total sales came from the Blu-ray Disc version, which carries a suggested retail price of nearly $80.

True Blood: The Complete Third Season debuted at No. 1 on both the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart and Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart. Sales were so strong that the previous seasons also returned to the overall top 20; the season-two set, released a year ago, landed at No. 9, and the season-one set from two years ago landed at No. 14.

The only high-profile theatrical release to come out on disc during the week, Summit Entertainment’s Drive Angry, a theatrical underperformer starring Nicolas Cage, debuted at No. 2 on both the overall and Blu-ray sales charts, selling just 31% as many copies as “True Blood,” according to Nielsen data. The film earned just slightly more than $10 million at the box office, on a budget pegged at $50 million.

Walt Disney Studios’ Gnomeo & Juliet, the previous week’s top seller, slipped to No. 3 on both charts.

In rental outlets, Drive Angry debuted at No. 1, according to Home Media Magazine’s rental chart. The Universal Studios comedy The Dilemma, with a $48.5 million theatrical take, finished at No. 2 after coming off its 28-day holdback from Netflix and kiosks.

Walt Disney Studios’ I Am Number Four, the previous week‚s top rental, slipped to No. 3.

Related Links :
Top 20 Sellers for the Week Ended 06/05/11

[Top 20 Rentals for the Week Ended 06/05/11
Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for the Week Ended 06/05/11

HBO CEO: Our DVD Biz ‘Bucking’ Trend

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/res...es-chart-24170

follow me on Twitter
post #9788 of 11556 Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Blu-ray having a 25% unit share of the leading title with a $80 MSRP for this week may mean it might not be as poor a comparison with Alice in Wonderland as I thought. The Blu-ray revenue share of that title is even better than its unit marketshare so its going to generate more revenues than expected for Blu-ray considering there were no major theatrical releases.

follow me on Twitter
post #9789 of 11556 Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Twice's (This week in consumer electronics, the CE hardware trade magazine) take on the same report

NPD is often cited here as a industry data source

Quote:
NPD: Blu-ray Sales Begin To Cover DVD Losses

By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 6/8/2011

Port Washington, N.Y. - Recent growth in sales of Blu-ray Disc players and content has prompted CE market analyst The NPD Group to issue a report showing evidence that Blu-ray sales are beginning to offset declines in consumer DVD player and content sales.

According to the group's "Entertainment Trends in America" report, 15 percent of U.S. consumers reported using a Blu-ray player in the prior six months in March 2011, up from 9 percent the prior year.

In comparison, 57 percent of U.S. consumers reported using a standard DVD player in 2010, which is unchanged from 2009.

According to NPD's Blu-ray Disc Report, 49 percent of PS3 owners are viewing Blu-ray movies on their game consoles at least once a month, which is also adding to the base of physical-disc users. Year-over-year sales of set-top Blu-ray player units increased 16 percent, NPD said.

According to NPD's separate Blu-ray Disc Report, there are currently approximately 116 million physical-disc buyers in the U.S., which is down from 128 million in 2009. However, the nearly 26 million Blu-ray buyers helped keep that number from sliding further.

Blu-ray buyers are also beginning to buy more discs than they did in 2009 or 2010, including both new releases and older catalog content, according to the report.

"Because fewer hot titles came out of the theatres in time for first quarter release, the physical video-disc market was a bit disappointing -- especially coming off of a good first quarter last year; but consumer response to the Blu-ray format remains strongly positive
," stated Russ Crupnick, NPD entertainment industry analyst.

"While Blu-ray may not be the replacement for DVD that many once hoped for, it is certainly adding strength to the physical video-disc market. This added stability is helping to extend the life of discs, even as digital options gain in popularity."

According to consumer feedback, NPD said Blu-ray's technology advantages are being recognized by more and more people, in addition to the format's value proposition, and benefits from packaging (e.g., combo packs that offer a DVD, Blu-ray and digital copy).

Eight out of 10 current and prospective owners of Blu-ray set-top boxes cite high-definition quality and technology as the reason they purchased, or intend to purchase, a Blu-ray player, NPD said.

NPD reported that consumers are also noticing the better pricing and value of Blu-ray, as prices of hardware have declined.

Word of mouth is helping grow the Blu-ray customer base, as well. Thirty-six percent of consumers who intend to buy a player were influenced by the product recommendations of friends and family members.

"It wasn't too long ago that most consumers felt DVD was ‘good enough,' and while it's true DVD is a terrific format, more consumers are now recognizing that Blu-ray does indeed deliver a superior experience," said Crupnick. "Certainly the fact that prices are now within the budgetary range acceptable to rank-and-file consumers is helping bolster the overall value proposition of the Blu-ray format."

NPD also noted that digital services have driven increased interest in Blu-ray players, with 50 percent of consumers who intend to buy Blu-ray set-top players in the next six months citing a desire to use available subscription video-download services as a primary reason.

"As more and more buyers make the decision to obtain the superior picture and sound technology of Blu-ray, there is also more awareness that the same player that delivers that experience can also provide access to digital services that are gaining the attention of American consumers," Crupnick said.
http://www.twice.com/article/469413-...DVD_Losses.php

follow me on Twitter
post #9790 of 11556 Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

LA Times Take

Quote:
Blu-ray making up for only some of the drop in DVD sales
(0) (0) (22)
June 8, 2011 | 10:38 am

The number of Americans buying movie discs dropped 9% from 2009 to 2011, but would have fallen more dramatically without the growth in high-definition Blu-ray discs, according to a new report.

In total, 116 million Americans are estimated to currently buy movies on DVD or Blu-ray, according to the NPD Group, down from 128 million in 2009. However, 26 million of those people are buying discs on Blu-ray, which are more expensive for consumers and more profitable for makers than standard DVDs.

The percentage of the population who are buying Blu-ray discs jumped from 9% in 2010 to 15% in 2011, according to two online consumer surveys conducted by NPD.

"While Blu-ray may not be the replacement for DVD that many once hoped for, it is certainly adding strength to the physical video-disc market," NPD entertainment industry analyst Russ Frushtick said in a statement.

The report did not include any data on digital distribution, a market that is also growing and helping to make up for some, but not all, of the downturn in DVD sales and rentals. A recent study by IHS Screen Digest said that Internet purchases and rentals of movies jumped 38% in 2010 to $385 million.

However, it did say that 50% of people who intended to buy a Blu-ray player were interested in part because many such devices also provide access to "subscription video download services" such as Netflix.

Also helping is that Blu-ray players and discs have been falling in price. "The fact that prices are now within the budgetary range acceptable to rank-and-file consumers is helping bolster the overall value proposition of the Blu-ray format," Frushtick said.

The NPD analyst also noted that the downturn in movie disc sales during the first three months of 2011 was magnified by a lack of popular movies, as indicated by soft box-office returns for the industry in the fall of 2010.

That drop was indicated in financial results for two studios. Universal Pictures' home entertainment revenue fell 24% in the first quarter of 2011, while Walt Disney Studios reported a 14% drop.

-- Ben Fritz
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/

follow me on Twitter
post #9791 of 11556 Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I always felt Kosty was a gentlemen and movie lover even back in the day when we had opposite views on certain things. Lucky for us he loves movies in HD therefore moved past the format war and spends a lot of time providing valuable information on the health of the Blu-ray format. It is greatly appreciated. Too bad a few just can not see why Kosty has the enthusiasm that he does.
post #9792 of 11556 Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I always felt Kosty was a gentlemen and movie lover even back in the day when we had opposite views on certain things. Lucky for us he loves movies in HD therefore moved past the format war and spends a lot of time providing valuable information on the health of the Blu-ray format. It is greatly appreciated. Too bad a few just can not see why Kosty has the enthusiasm that he does.

Well shucks. Thank you.

Only thing I have to say is that I do know a lot of people who do appreciate my commentary, contacts, experience , data sets and perspective. I have never let anyone who attacks me bother me much as I know where I am coming from and am honest in what I try to share over the years.

I moved past the format war the instant Walmart pulled support from HD DVD and went Blu-ray exclusive and I was always purple and enjoyed Blu-ray even when I defended HD DVD. But I have always been a movie lover and home theater enthusiast at the core.

Its actually only a tiny few people that seem to lash at me now as representative of a more optimistic point of view that they dislike. After putting up with much stronger personal attacks during the format war years and having real life perspective on much more serious things, nothing really bothers me much now a days.

Thank you for your kind words.

follow me on Twitter
post #9793 of 11556 Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LA Times Take

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/

Some good points in there. You can't just look at Blu-Ray when it comes to making up DVD revenue. You have to look at digital too. And that means things like streaming, PPV, etc. Now when you add those two things up, there will still be a drop in revenue. But when you factor in poor movie performance, and other forms of entertainment (books, music, gaming, social media/internet, etc) it is pretty easy to explain the drop. Looking at Blu-Ray on an island is not a good way at all to analyze entertainment revenue and I am certain the studios are looking at more than just one slice of the pie.

I have yet to see a single studio come out and declare that they expect optical media (BD/DVD) to be replaced by digital anytime soon.

Beacuse it won't happen. Beacuse many Americans don't even have a broadband Internet connection, and of those that do, they don't have speeds to support cutting the cords of their optical media players, nor do they have the desire when they own a whole stack of movies on DVD/BD and also have Redbox machines galore to rent from.
post #9794 of 11556 Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Blu-ray having a 25% unit share of the leading title with a $80 MSRP for this week may mean it might not be as poor a comparison with Alice in Wonderland as I thought. The Blu-ray revenue share of that title is even better than its unit marketshare so its going to generate more revenues than expected for Blu-ray considering there were no major theatrical releases.
Which was widely available for $35-$40 at various retailers and Amazon. MSRP matters not as no one purchased this set for $80.
post #9795 of 11556 Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Which was widely available for $35-$40 at various retailers and Amazon. MSRP matters not as no one purchased this set for $80.

What were the best sale prices of the Blu-ray versions of True Blood series box sets? Its not like all consumers would buy them on sale either.

But sale prices at Best Buy Walmart Target and Amazon would be most important. Amazon has it for $40 which is still a lot more per unit than a typical single movie sku. So a high Blu-ray unit marketshare of the leading title still should be a better than recent revenue number than what we have seen for the last month.

follow me on Twitter
post #9796 of 11556 Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
31 May, 2011
Tales of True' and Blu

Target's 'True Blood' Signature Editions
The buzz surrounding True Blood never seems to fade, as evidenced by huge retail promotions touting HBO's third-season DVD and Blu-ray releases for the vampire series.

Best Buy offered a free magnet with purchase and pushed other True Blood merchandise, such as previous seasons on disc, $12.99 T-shirts and $2.99 bottles of TruBlood-branded soda.

Target stepped up with three special signature-edition box covers for its DVD and Blu-ray editions, one each for Sookie, Bill and Eric, and bearing the stars' autographs. Target also sold previous seasons on DVD for $19.99 each.

Best Buy also featured a new X-Men promotion, offering ticket coupons for the new theatrical release of X-Men: First Class in copies of previous X-Men movies (sold at $3.99 per DVD, $7.99 per Blu-ray).

At a Walmart in Long Beach, Calif., clerks coming off the Memorial Day holiday still hadn't fully stocked the new releases or updated the usual price discounts Walmart gives.

Also curious: Walmart stocking only the DVD versions of new special editions for Universal's American Graffiti and Legend, even though the whole point of the re-release was their debuts on Blu-ray.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/age...r/john-latchem

follow me on Twitter
post #9797 of 11556 Old 06-10-2011, 12:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

The MSRP is still relative to the normal price of a single movie Blu-ray as the leading title. But you are right, its not like all those copies or even most sold at MSRP but just that they were still sold for more than a typical release.

follow me on Twitter
post #9798 of 11556 Old 06-10-2011, 03:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
HBO Plugs ‘True Blood’ With Social Media Contest
9 Jun, 2011
By: John Latchem

www.hbo.com/digdeeper

HBO has teamed with ad agency BBDO NY to promote the DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of True Blood: The Complete Third Season with an online and social media contest.

Television spots for the set began airing May 23, featuring a spokesperson walking through a train station that contains 60 clues related to the third season. Fans are instructed to visit www.hbo.com/digdeeper, where they can study the commercial and tag any clues they identify.

Players earn a badge for every 10 clues guessed correctly. Identifying all 60 clues enters the player into a special drawing for “The Ultimate True Fan Experience.” The contest runs through July 17 and the prize and winner will be announced later this summer.

The spots are airing on Bravo, E!, G4, MTV, Syfy and TBS. According to HBO the contest has received more than 4,500 entrants its first two weeks.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/pro...-contest-24187

follow me on Twitter
post #9799 of 11556 Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind, Kosty already posted the info on TrueBlood.
post #9800 of 11556 Old 06-12-2011, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

I guess I am one of the "G&D" folks over HERE. I'm just calling it as I see it. Am I encouraged by the release of more catalogs this year? Sure. But the overall numbers for Blu-ray are disappointing, and the combined optical disc numbers are downright awful. We are seeing studios cut back greatly on their disc budgets. This means less time, effort, and money being put into releases. More attention is going to downloading. I don't know how anyone could be overly positive about the situation, because the state of Blu-ray as it stands five years into the format is at the bare minimum (or below) of where most people thought it would be. I now see Blu-ray as topping out in total revenue sales in 2013, at an optimistic 5-5.5 billion. The only way it will do better than that is if the studios make a concerted effort to replace DVD, and I think they are too scared to do that. And total optical discs sales will continue to plummet if Blu-ray's growth comes almost entirely at the expense of cannibalizing DVD.

Where is all this downloading attention?? Im asking cause Im not seeing it... I see it in advertising sometimes on the commercials, you know the ones that say now available on DVD, BD and Digital Download. Other than that what attention are you talking about???
You do know that the studios are about to ramp up Ultraviolet which is the next big thing the studios will be promoting to us as a Buy now play anywhere format but thats not kicked into high gear yet as I expect to see little attention made of this until the marketing kicks in.
post #9801 of 11556 Old 06-12-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:

Agree on all counts.

Anyone thinking UltraViolet is going to swoop in and re-invigorate purchasing behavior is off their rocker IMO.

I hear some studio heads say they think UV can reverse the rental pattern. Good luck I say.

Red Box isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and neither is Netflix. $1-1.50/night or $8/month. Unbeatable. No one is going to spend $20 to buy a digital film. The rental pattern is here to stay. And the studios are going to have to adjust, and learn how to survive on $10-15B instead of $20B.

And regarding UV, I really don't see the public demanding to have their movies available everywhere all the time - one of the main premises of UV. Is it a neat feature? Sure - but is that why purchasing behavior has changed? Absolutely not. The economy and the emergence of cheap rentals has combined in a perfect storm to change consumer behavior with respect to movie watching. Toss in "free" VOD from your TV provider and you have a pattern over the past 3-4 years that is irreversible IMO.

And if people still don't understand what bluray is to this day, how in the hell will they learn about the even more complicated UV?? Where will that education come from? The same people who failed to educate people properly about bluray?

Once again, the studios are going to have to adjust, and learn how to survive on less money, because cheap rentals are here to stay, and purchasing is going away. I don't care if it is UV or green ray or hologram ray, the tide has turned.

I disagree that purchasing is going away. The studios will continue to give us two options: Rental and Purchase. True we may have lower purchase numbers but that option will be available to the consumer. The studios will not be putting all their eggs in one basket. Why does it have to be an all or nothing, we can have many means of distribution for film sales. I dont care how my films are delivered to me on a Disc, Chip Download...whatever but we will still have the option to buy in the future.
As for the digital side of the coin...It is very easy for the studios to place a buy now button next to the rent now button and that is what they are going to do.
Billions of dollars are being (and have been) spent in the development of Ultraviolet, Warner has spent lots of money purchasing Rotten Tomatoes to use as one of the portals for UV content. Most of the major studios, electronic retailers (Best Buy, Walmart) are on board. I dont think they will be giving up on purchases. Wont happen. (BTW I would not expect UV films to be $20 a pop you, but much lower however).
post #9802 of 11556 Old 06-12-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:

You mean Kosty IS a gentlemen. I have been reading his posts for many many years and have commented on his postings in other forums. He is truly a movie enthusiast at heart and his enthusiasm rubs off on me. Yes greatly appreciated!
post #9803 of 11556 Old 06-12-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt73 View Post

I'm not sure how a person would actually make out the case for some of those claims (e.g. Blu-ray is already peaking, you say). How does one argue that except in hindsight or with a time machine?

As for "why are the majors so slow..." by gum that one is obvious: in many cases they were/are waiting for the BD hardware instal base to grow. Hence no Star Wars til 2011. I thought it would be '12.

Let me answer the rest indirectly, by way of personal anecdote.

In the past 14 days I've been blown away seven (7) times by recently-released BD deep catalogue, namely Some Like it Hot, Manchurian Candidate, Grand Prix, Le Mans, Cat O Nine Tails, The Comancheros and Once Upon A Time in the West. Six out of seven are major Hollywood titles. I'm not counting A Man Called Horse and The Hustler which I haven't watched yet, or other recent ones I'm yet to buy (Horse Soldiers, Misfits).

From where I'm standing, remarks to the effect "We already knew about these or know about them for '12" pour absolutely no cold water whatever on releases coming now or expected for the future. Things are just warming up!

Some Like It Hot was wonderful on BluRay. Yes the studios have been opening up the catlogue a bit in the past few months! More movies than I have money in my purse. This girl may have to get out her charge card to keep up!
post #9804 of 11556 Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome TowerGrove, nice to see you posting here.

And I agree buyers will not go away, but clearly people are renting more and buying less. I see that increasing as optical disc declines and digital picks up more marketshare.

But the studios will always try to sell movies to consumers. Too much money to be made.
post #9805 of 11556 Old 06-12-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGrove View Post
You mean Kosty IS a gentlemen. I have been reading his posts for many many years and have commented on his postings in other forums. He is truly a movie enthusiast at heart and his enthusiasm rubs off on me. Yes greatly appreciated!
Thanks for the kind words.

I certainly do enjoy seeing the progress of Blu-ray year after year.

After my skepticism of Blu-ray during the format war years I'm not shy in saying I'm glad Blu-ray is exceeding my personal expectations and that my concerns of Blu-ray during 2006 and 2007 have all been overcome.

In particular, I'm really glad that the economics of Blu-ray production and the costs and replication capacity for dual layer BD50s were solved so that studio library catalog titles are profitable for the studios and retailers.

That was my worst fear and biggest concern about Blu-ray back then and a major reason I supported HD DVD as the economics of that format were better for catalog titles back in the day. I'm pleased as peach that those issues have long been solved and that Blu-ray replication capacity and production costs are no longer a concern.

I'm glad you all enjoy my commentaries here and at HDD.

follow me on Twitter
post #9806 of 11556 Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Some Like It Hot was wonderful on BluRay. Yes the studios have been opening up the catlogue a bit in the past few months! More movies than I have money in my purse. This girl may have to get out her charge card to keep up!
Good to see you hanging around here pretty lady.

Welcome to AVS.

follow me on Twitter
post #9807 of 11556 Old 06-12-2011, 08:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
Welcome TowerGrove, nice to see you posting here.

And I agree buyers will not go away, but clearly people are renting more and buying less. I see that increasing as optical disc declines and digital picks up more marketshare.

But the studios will always try to sell movies to consumers. Too much money to be made.
Blu-ray is also doing best and even increasing the margins on preserving the most profitable segment of packaged media sales. That's the day and date new release revenue stream.

follow me on Twitter
post #9808 of 11556 Old 06-13-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

You mean Kosty IS a gentlemen.

Well, we have to take some liberties around here , in all seriousness, Kosty does a lot of work for the members here. I have done similar work (for completely different reasons) and can tell you it is time consuming doing the research, generating graphs & graphics, uploading then posting the results.

Quote:

Good to see you hanging around here pretty lady.

Welcome to AVS.

+1. Hope you have a good time here.
post #9809 of 11556 Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here is the editable copy of the press release:

I forgot that's the new home of Adams Media Research.

Quote:

Harry Potter Bolsters US Video Market in Q2 2011

Posted by Hugh Bennett on 13 June 2011, 1:00 pm

IHS Screen Digest announced that the DVD and Blu-ray Disc (BD) release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1” in April bolstered U.S. physical video sales in the second quarter of 2011.

For more information visit: www.screendigest.com

Unedited press release follows:

Harry Potter’s Magic Rescues the US Video Market in Q2

June 13, 2011 — The DVD and Blu-ray Disc (BD) release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1” in April bolstered U.S. physical video sales following a soft first quarter, according to new IHS Screen Digest (NYSE: IHS) research.

U.S. DVD and BD consumer spending during April and the first two weeks of May posted a year-over-year increase of 1.6 percent, thanks to a two-week sales explosion around “Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 1”.

The strength of “Harry Potter” and a strong supporting cast of other titles produced two weeks of 30 percent-plus overall market growth. On that sales surge, the U.S. physical video market pared its annual decline to a 14.9 percent contraction by mid-May, an improvement of more than 6 percentage points compared to the total at the end of the first quarter.

“’Harry Potter’ arrived just in the nick of time for the U.S. video market,” said Tom Adams, principal analyst and director, U.S. media, for IHS. “First-quarter sales reflected a release slate with relatively weak performances at the theatrical box office compared to those issued during the same period in 2010.

The huge week-over-week gains that ‘Harry Potter’ drove for the overall market show how important big hits are to driving increased traffic and overall sales, even though new-release feature films represent only 28 percent of physical video unit sales.”

The figure below presents spending for the U.S physical video market for the first quarter and the second quarter through the second week of May, based on the IHS Screen Digest analysis of Nielsen’s VideoScan data.

Harry Potter and friends vs. Avatar

The bounce in physical video sales came just as the disc-sales market was due to come up against year-to-date comparisons that included the April 22, 2010, disc release of “Avatar,” the biggest box-office title of all time. In its first four weeks on the video market, “Avatar” had sold through an estimated 10.7 million discs.

None of the top April/May 2011 releases matched the “Avatar” numbers, but as a group, market leader “Harry Potter” and a strong supporting lineup managed to hold April to just a 9 percent decline compared to the same period in 2010.

The other top titles included “Tangled,” released March 29, which performed strongly throughout April, as well as “Tron: Legacy” and “Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader.”

“Harry Potter” worked his two weeks of magic beginning with an April 15, 2011, release on a Friday, giving it a one-week head start over Avatar’s Friday release date of April 22, 2010.

The future is Blu

The Blu-ray format continues to expand its share of new hit sales, jumping from an estimated 27 percent of total new-release shipments in 2010 to a projected 40 percent by the end of this year.

The new-release movies that make up 28 percent of unit sales drive more than 43 percent of total annual disc revenue—much of which arrives in the fourth quarter.
Although the first-quarter box-office results were also soft, second-quarter results are improving compared to the same period in 2010.

“Given the softness of the first-quarter box office, the gains driven by ‘Harry Potter’ in April are likely to give way to some soft video comparisons in the summer months.

However, a recent strengthening in box office results—plus a powerhouse summer slate that includes ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2’—should drive a strong fourth quarter,
” Adams said.

To learn more about this topic, see the IHS Screen Digest U.S. Video Intelligence service.

About IHS Screen Digest Products & Services
IHS Screen Digest products and services cover global media markets including film, television, broadband media, mobile media, cinema, home entertainment, gaming and advertising. IHS Screen Digest offerings deliver the most complete and insightful analysis of the global technology, media and telecommunications (TMT) markets. More information is available at www.screendigest.com

About IHS (www.ihs.com)
IHS (NYSE: IHS) is the leading source of information and insight in critical areas that shape today’s business landscape, including energy and power; design and supply chain; defense, risk and security; environmental, health and safety (EHS) and sustainability; country and industry forecasting; and commodities, pricing and cost. Businesses and governments around the globe rely on the comprehensive content, expert independent analysis and flexible delivery methods of IHS to make high-impact decisions and develop strategies with speed and confidence. IHS has been in business since 1959 and became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange in 2005. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA, IHS employs approximately 5,100 people in more than 30 countries around the world.

http://www.hughsnews.ca/harry-potter...2-2011-0023418

follow me on Twitter
post #9810 of 11556 Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is the editable copy of the press release:

I forgot that's the new home of Adams Media Research.

http://www.hughsnews.ca/harry-potter...2-2011-0023418

So OD is not even close to being dead. They just need to make movies worth owning. Harry Potter also appeals to the family demographic which certainly helps.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page