Isn't it funny that there are more Razzie winners available on BD than Oscar winners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Taha24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Relax, im not bashing BD. Considering I only support BD that'd be kinda stupid now wouldn't it. Its more bashing the studios. .

But after reading the Oscar battle thread, I just noticed how we only have two of the Best Picture nominations out on BD yet, but it seems almost all the Razzie award winners have been released already.

The biggest winners (er...loosers?) of Razzies:

Basic Instinct 2 - 4
Little Man - 3
Lady in the Water -2


Honorable mention to RV.

All are available to us. The only two winners not available are Scary Movie 4 (our HD DVD friends get to enjoy that) and Date Movie, which i'm sure Fox will bestow upon us soon.

But when you look at the Oscar winners:

The Departed 4
Pan's Labyrinth 3
Dreamgirls 2
An Inconvienient Truth 2
Little Miss Sunshine 2
Babel 1
Letters from Iwo Jima 1
The Queen 1
Last King of Scotland 1
Happy Feet 1
Marie Antoinette 1
Piratest of the Car. 2 1


Only two are available currently to us. And 4 have been announced for release later on. 6 with no status.

Anyone else find it funny how these studio can bust out movies like RV & Lady in the Water so quickly to us while the movies that people actually want take a back seat? If Departed already made it out, I dont see why it should take longer than this for any other movie to come out.

Whats worse is the 6 movies that havent even been announced for any HD release. And from what we've seen in the Oscar battle thread, most of the movies are from Blu-Ray exclusive studios, since Universal didnt win anything.

Moral of this thread: I want more GOOD movies dammit

I'm not saying we arent getting good movies. We definitely are and i'm happy with Departed, Prestige, Babel, etc... coming out recently. And Stranger Than Fiction, & Casino Royale coming out soon. But I still find it weird when Fox announced Last King of Scotland on DVD, yet no Blu-Ray announcement. :| or Little Miss Sunshine even makes it out on DVD yet still no BD announcement. It makes me wonder if this is how serious the studios are in a format war, how serious would they have been if there wasnt one?
Taha24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
theforce8686's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha24 View Post

Relax, im not bashing BD. Considering I only support BD that'd be kinda stupid now wouldn't it. Its more bashing the studios. .

But after reading the Oscar battle thread, I just noticed how we only have two of the Best Picture nominations out on BD yet, but it seems almost all the Razzie award winners have been released already.

The biggest winners (er...loosers?) of Razzies:

Basic Instinct 2 - 4
Little Man - 3
Lady in the Water -2


Honorable mention to RV.

All are available to us. The only two winners not available are Scary Movie 4 (our HD DVD friends get to enjoy that) and Date Movie, which i'm sure Fox will bestow upon us soon.

But when you look at the Oscar winners:

The Departed 4
Pan's Labyrinth 3
Dreamgirls 2
An Inconvienient Truth 2
Little Miss Sunshine 2
Babel 1
Letters from Iwo Jima 1
The Queen 1
Last King of Scotland 1
Happy Feet 1
Marie Antoinette 1
Piratest of the Car. 2 1


Only two are available currently to us. And 4 have been announced for release later on. 6 with no status.

Anyone else find it funny how these studio can bust out movies like RV & Lady in the Water so quickly to us while the movies that people actually want take a back seat? If Departed already made it out, I dont see why it should take longer than this for any other movie to come out.

Whats worse is the 6 movies that havent even been announced for any HD release. And from what we've seen in the Oscar battle thread, most of the movies are from Blu-Ray exclusive studios, since Universal didnt win anything.

Moral of this thread: I want more GOOD movies dammit

I'm not saying we arent getting good movies. We definitely are and i'm happy with Departed, Prestige, Babel, etc... coming out recently. And Stranger Than Fiction, & Casino Royale coming out soon. But I still find it weird when Fox announced Last King of Scotland on DVD, yet no Blu-Ray announcement. :| or Little Miss Sunshine even makes it out on DVD yet still no BD announcement. It makes me wonder if this is how serious the studios are in a format war, how serious would they have been if there wasnt one?

Its because in general, most oscar movies are garbage that is liked only by a few old guys in a room who get to make the picks while the rest of the movies are are the ones seen and liked by the general public. I have about 900 SDs and BDs and am very open minded but I wouldnt waste my time with 90% of the crap on the oscar list youve posted (Departed and Little Miss Sunshine not included). But I do own Crank, the Marine, Lady in the Water, and many other "Bad" movies because they are a lot more fun.
theforce8686 is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
SyHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its a problem of having a bigger catalog ...you get more of everything, including more junk.

Does price really matter if you are buying a ticket on the Titanic?
SyHD is offline  
post #4 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SirDrexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 4,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Queen, Dreamgirls, Letters from Iwo Jima (supposedly), and Happy Feet are all coming. I don't know about Pan's Labyrinth. Marie Antoinette was supposed to come out but was cancelled.

An Inconvenient Truth was probably passed on due to it being a documentary, which would not sell very well on HD at this point. We'll have to wait for the market to get bigger for documentaries to be released. Plus, it was Paramount, who has been more cautious (to put it nicely) than any other studio so far.

Unfortunately, some of the other titles were not released, probably due to demographics. We haven't seen any Fox Searchlight titles get announced. FWIW, Little Miss Sunshine had not yet picked up its nominations when the DVD was released.
SirDrexl is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha24 View Post

Its more bashing the studios. .

Was the same with LV, Beta/VHS and DVD.

How many good songs did LP's or CD's with 10 to 12 cuts have? Even the Greatest Hits collection on LP's or CD's by any given artist may have 3 to 5 hits out of 10 to 14 cuts. Marketing & more Marketing. From a consumer point of view, I very much dislike the marketing. If I were in their position, well then.....
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cawgijoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 2,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 View Post

Its because in general, most oscar movies are garbage that is liked only by a few old guys in a room who get to make the picks while the rest of the movies are are the ones seen and liked by the general public. I have about 900 SDs and BDs and am very open minded but I wouldnt waste my time with 90% of the crap on the oscar list youve posted (Departed and Little Miss Sunshine not included). But I do own Crank, the Marine, Lady in the Water, and many other "Bad" movies because they are a lot more fun.

LOL! And very true.
cawgijoe is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Icemage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, first we have to look at what the Oscars give awards for, and what HT enthusiasts (who make up a sizable chunk of the early adopters for high definition) want for their systems.

The Oscars ostensibly give awards to movies that have excellent production quality in one or more categories.

What HT enthusiasts seem to want early are not just enjoyable movies, but showpieces for their HT setup. After all, if your neighbor or friend visits and you want to show off your multi-thousand dollar rig, I would imagine you want a disc that shows off your system in a complimentary way. There's nothing wrong with taking pride in something you've spent a lot of time and money on, and I think the studios are trying to cater to that desire for high quality A/V.

Also bear in mind that, from the viewpoints of the studios, this is probably the best opportunity they've had in a while to make money on these otherwise low-quality films.
Icemage is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
chefboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the impression that studios leave Oscar-nominated films longer in theaters for extended-runs to generate more revenue because of the positive buzz. It's also possible to slap on the dvd cover "X Oscar Nominations" or "Winner - Best Actor/Movie/etc." too.

For truly horrible movies (ie Razzies), I would suspect studios want to release soon after a theater run since they've spent a large amount on advertising and want to try to get the most out of it before it dies a quick death at the retail level.

Overall, both formats will have it's share of good and bad movies. Hate to say this, but I've probably watched more Razzie-type movies that Oscar-nominated/winners over the past 20 years (in theaters, dvds, pay-per-views and cable broadcasts.)
chefboy1 is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
MrHunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post

Well, first we have to look at what the Oscars give awards for, and what HT enthusiasts (who make up a sizable chunk of the early adopters for high definition) want for their systems.

The Oscars ostensibly give awards to movies that have excellent production quality in one or more categories.

What HT enthusiasts seem to want early are not just enjoyable movies, but showpieces for their HT setup. After all, if your neighbor or friend visits and you want to show off your multi-thousand dollar rig, I would imagine you want a disc that shows off your system in a complimentary way. There's nothing wrong with taking pride in something you've spent a lot of time and money on, and I think the studios are trying to cater to that desire for high quality A/V.

Also bear in mind that, from the viewpoints of the studios, this is probably the best opportunity they've had in a while to make money on these otherwise low-quality films.

That is true... definitely get more impressed people when you show them some war scenes/explosions over some people talking.
MrHunt is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
thewretched22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This has been my problem with BD from the beginning. Lots of films, but most are crap that i have no desire to buy.

HD DVD & Blu Ray Owner
thewretched22 is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
camaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London, Great Britain
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewretched22 View Post

This has been my problem with BD from the beginning. Lots of films, but most are crap that i have no desire to buy.

Well it's entirely subjective, so it's your problem rather than BD's! If anything HD DVD has crap you have no desire to buy, and BD has the same crap, just more of it.

BTW, this is no different to the early days of DVD. The better titles don't come out until there's a user base there
camaj is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 View Post

Its because in general, most oscar movies are garbage .


Your kidding right??
its all an opinion, BUT I can only asume with a coment like that you only care about AQ and PQ and not the film its self

list of the last 10 best picture winners-
TITANIC
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE
AMERICAN BEAUTY
GLADIATOR
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
CHICAGO
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
CRASH
THE DEPARTED

yep your right all junk movies, give me Basic Instinct 2 and Little Man over those any day
mr stroke is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 06:00 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 View Post

Its because in general, most oscar movies are garbage that is liked only by a few old guys in a room who get to make the picks while the rest of the movies are are the ones seen and liked by the general public. I have about 900 SDs and BDs and am very open minded but I wouldnt waste my time with 90% of the crap on the oscar list youve posted (Departed and Little Miss Sunshine not included). But I do own Crank, the Marine, Lady in the Water, and many other "Bad" movies because they are a lot more fun.

I don't know that I totally agree with you on this, but I do know what you're saying.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is online now  
post #14 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Most films made by Hollywood are crap. Just the way it is unfortunately...

Dave Mack is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Member
 
JadedRaverLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting comparison. I wonder if the Razzie films will get stickers on their packaging mentioning their "victories". That would be kinda cool.

As for getting the Oscar nominees and winners released, that would make me very happy. I'm 26, not 90, and would much rather get some of these GOOD titles out, than the nonsense that keeps getting released. (I notice some of us have VERY different taste in films.) I would happily buy many more Blu-ray discs than I have, but when I look at the available discs, I wonder why I ever went high def.

I somewhat disagree on the logic that these films should be out already though. The early releases of The Departed and Babel are part of this new trend to get movies out to disc sooner-and-sooner, but many of the nominated movies just came out in theatres this past fall/winter. The March-May release seems about right to me. Plus, the studios get to advertise the films as Academy-award winning (which means a lot to limited-release films) when they do the video ads. The rapid dump-to-video of "Razzie"-quality films isn't something that should really be emulated by good films. Also, I think that if video releases didn't keep getting pushed further and further up, then we likely would have gotten a Blu-ray of Little Miss Sunshine, and perhaps some of the other smaller films that did well last night. Hopefully, the studios will use the Oscar-results to justify a HD release of those films later this year.

Personally, if I was on the BDA's marketing team, I would be trying VERY HARD to get all these titles out, so that they could run a campaign of having all the Oscar winners from this past year available on Blu-ray disc. That would make a very strong argument for Blu-ray's content advantage, and could quickly get a lot of "good movie lovers" (or cinema elitists if you hate our taste in films) to buy into Blu-ray--a group that seems to be left out of the current equation of releasing movies that appeal mainly to PS3 gamers.
JadedRaverLA is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Favelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 3,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your kidding right??
its all an opinion, BUT I can only asume with a coment like that you only care about AQ and PQ and not the film its self

list of the last 10 best picture winners-
TITANIC
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE
AMERICAN BEAUTY
GLADIATOR
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
CHICAGO
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
CRASH
THE DEPARTED

yep your right all junk movies, give me Basic Instinct 2 and Little Man over those any day


LOL, pwned.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Favelle is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
MrHunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually I only like two movies on that list... LOTR and Gladiator :\\.
MrHunt is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Member
 
Omegasaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

Your kidding right??
its all an opinion, BUT I can only asume with a coment like that you only care about AQ and PQ and not the film its self

list of the last 10 best picture winners-
TITANIC -nope
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE -nah
AMERICAN BEAUTY -definitely
GLADIATOR -ok, the wife likes it too
A BEAUTIFUL MIND -no thanks
CHICAGO -only if it were pizza from there
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING -wake me when it's over (sorry!)
MILLION DOLLAR BABY -count me out
CRASH -maybe, wait, no.
THE DEPARTED -should be here tomorrow

yep your right all junk movies, give me Basic Instinct 2 and Little Man over those any day

There's 3 on that list I'd even consider buying, the rest you can keep. Not saying I'd take your 2 bad examples, but there's a lot out now/coming I'd rather have than most of those. But I definitely see the point, there should be a much better mix of "good" films and popcorn flicks than what we're seeing. I think if they truly believe this is the next step for disc based movies, then they should put everything they behind it. Why beat around the bush when execs are singing the "there is no war, it's just a matter of time" song? Just give us the movies already.
Omegasaber is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 02-26-2007, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maverick0716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegasaber View Post

There's 3 on that list I'd even consider buying, the rest you can keep. Not saying I'd take your 2 bad examples, but there's a lot out now/coming I'd rather have than most of those. But I definitely see the point, there should be a much better mix of "good" films and popcorn flicks than what we're seeing. I think if they truly believe this is the next step for disc based movies, then they should put everything they behind it. Why beat around the bush when execs are singing the "there is no war, it's just a matter of time" song? Just give us the movies already.

Sounds like you just don't have the attention span to enjoy a long movie. Let me guess, you also hate movies like Lawerence of Arabia, The Godfather, Dances With Wolves, Apocalypse Now Redux, Gandhi, Das Boot, Ben Hur, The Deer Hunter, The Green Mile, JFK.......all excellent films in my opinion.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
maverick0716 is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Icemage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post

Sounds like you just don't have the attention span to enjoy a long movie. Let me guess, you also hate movies like Lawerence of Arabia, The Godfather, Dances With Wolves, Apocalypse Now Redux, Gandhi, Das Boot, Ben Hur, The Deer Hunter, The Green Mile, JFK.......all excellent films in my opinion.

Why criticize someone else's tastes in movies? Opinions like his are exactly why we're NOT seeing every Oscar winner on HD already.

For that matter, my list is pretty similar. It's not that Best Picture winners are bad movies, but they're not necessarily films you want to own, particularly if you don't like that specific genre.

My list looks like this, for instance:

TITANIC - Maybe.
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE - No.
AMERICAN BEAUTY - Not normally my taste, but I'd buy this just because it is such a great movie.
GLADIATOR - Yes.
A BEAUTIFUL MIND - No.
CHICAGO - Yes.
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Yes.
MILLION DOLLAR BABY - No way.
CRASH - Maybe.
THE DEPARTED - No.

4 probable buys, 2 perhaps, and 4 definite non-buys. Does that mean I hate the movies I won't buy? No. I think The Departed is a great film. It just means I don't want to own it.

P.S. I like all of the films on your secondary list above except for JFK. But again, of the titles on your list I'm not sure I'd buy any of them except The Green Mile on high definition disc.
Icemage is offline  
post #21 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SirDrexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 4,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedRaverLA View Post

I somewhat disagree on the logic that these films should be out already though. The early releases of The Departed and Babel are part of this new trend to get movies out to disc sooner-and-sooner, but many of the nominated movies just came out in theatres this past fall/winter. The March-May release seems about right to me. Plus, the studios get to advertise the films as Academy-award winning (which means a lot to limited-release films) when they do the video ads. The rapid dump-to-video of "Razzie"-quality films isn't something that should really be emulated by good films. Also, I think that if video releases didn't keep getting pushed further and further up, then we likely would have gotten a Blu-ray of Little Miss Sunshine, and perhaps some of the other smaller films that did well last night. Hopefully, the studios will use the Oscar-results to justify a HD release of those films later this year.

What this really boils down to is that the Razzie films happened to have been released earlier in the year than many of the Oscar films. There were also a few Oscar films that were technically released around August/September, but they were in very limited release and had to expand and generate press (unlike the typical wide release that opens in a ton of theaters and tails off quickly).

As for Mr Stroke's Best Picture list, I'd buy all of them except Crash.
SirDrexl is offline  
post #22 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tlreddragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post

Sounds like you just don't have the attention span to enjoy a long movie. Let me guess, you also hate movies like Lawerence of Arabia, The Godfather, Dances With Wolves, Apocalypse Now Redux, Gandhi, Das Boot, Ben Hur, The Deer Hunter, The Green Mile, JFK.......all excellent films in my opinion.

Get real please. The only reason you like all those movies you listed is because they're all "classics" and you're supposed to like them for that very reason. Of course you will deny this because in your mind you are fully convinced that these are indeed "great" movies even though you probably haven't seen a significant number of films outside of Hollywood (and Das Boot doesn't count). The Departed is a good example because it was the first time I could truly see the kind of crap that can pass as quality in Hollywood. It was nowhere near as good as Infernal Affairs was and if some no-name director made the exact same movie with other no-name actors it would just be passed off as another derivative crime thriller.

And the Academy Awards are total BS. When was the last time a comedy won best picture? Can you say biased? Here are the prerequisites for winning best picture- it has to be big budget (no indie is EVER going to win); it has to be by a well known director; it has to be a drama, war, or epic; and it has to be at least 2 hours long (because let's face it, in this race quantity does equal quality). The Prestige was unquestionably one of the top 5 movies of 2006 and it didn't even get nominated. That is a travesty. IMO, the Razzies are more reliable.

BD- 134
HD DVD- 98


"I have been told by a very reliable contact that Universal should announce neutrality during CES 2008..." -beatboy77
tlreddragon is offline  
post #23 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
MrHunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreddragon View Post

Get real please. The only reason you like all those movies you listed is because they're all "classics" and you're supposed to like them for that very reason. Of course you will deny this because in your mind you are fully convinced that these are indeed "great" movies even though you probably haven't seen a significant number of films outside of Hollywood (and Das Boot doesn't count). The Departed is a good example because it was the first time I could truly see the kind of crap that can pass as quality in Hollywood. It was nowhere near as good as Infernal Affairs was and if some no-name director made the exact same movie with other no-name actors it would just be passed off as another derivative crime thriller.

And the Academy Awards are total BS. When was the last time a comedy won best picture? Can you say biased? Here are the prerequisites for winning best picture- it has to be big budget (no indie is EVER going to win); it has to be by a well known director; it has to be a drama, war, or epic; and it has to be at least 2 hours long (because let's face it, in this race quantity does equal quality). The Prestige was unquestionably one of the top 5 movies of 2006 and it didn't even get nominated. That is a travesty. IMO, the Razzies are more reliable.

Yup... Halle Berry won an Oscar... need I say more?
MrHunt is offline  
post #24 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rachael Bellomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Posts: 8,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 View Post

Its because in general, most oscar movies are garbage that is liked only by a few old guys in a room who get to make the picks while the rest of the movies are are the ones seen and liked by the general public.



Thanks for a laugh!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Rachael Bellomy is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Member
 
grendyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theforce8686 View Post

Its because in general, most oscar movies are garbage that is liked only by a few old guys in a room who get to make the picks while the rest of the movies are are the ones seen and liked by the general public.


lol, too true. I remember last year when Chris Rock was hosting, he went to a local mall and most people had no clue about virtually all the nominated movies. Oscars are mostly the result of internal community politics today IMO, and will only get moreso as time goes on
grendyl is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sandiegojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It makes sense to release razzie films ASAP on disc, cause the longer you wait, the more money you'll lose.

ALl of the oscar winners will be fine with a late release, as their hype will carry them. But bad movies need to release quickly so that the money spent marketing them for theater release may still be useful if people remember a commercial for basic instinct 2 or lady in the water.
sandiegojoe is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendyl View Post

lol, too true. I remember last year when Chris Rock was hosting, he went to a local mall and most people had no clue about virtually all the nominated movies. Oscars are mostly the result of internal community politics today IMO, and will only get moreso as time goes on

so because J6P doesn't know a movie it's a bad movie? The oscar's is not a popularity contest that's what the MTV and all the other teeny awards are for.
Broccoli is offline  
post #28 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Member
 
grendyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli View Post

so because J6P doesn't know a movie it's a bad movie? The oscar's is not a popularity contest that's what the MTV and all the other teeny awards are for.

It's naive to thing the Oscars are not already a popularity contest. Most oscars involve campaigning with the right people who make the decisions for these self-congratulatory awards. It is not by random chance IMO Halle Berry & Denzel Washington both won in 2002 (and Will Smith got nominated) the same year as the multi-actor Oscar bias campaign. I am not saying Washington is a bad actor (I do think Halle Berry is pretty bad overall), but that specific performance was easily not the best that year. I think the popular excuse nowadays when politics are blatantly obvious is that the winner was 'overdue' for an award.


The random people in a shopping mall mostly gain nothing from who wins or loses and are unaffected by campaigning, they probably are at least a group to take seriously IMO.
grendyl is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Member
 
tracemhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A lot of the movies that are nominated for an Oscar are only worth watching once (Titanic, Crash, LOTR). There are movies that do not win because they aren't long or about "gay cowboys eating pudding."

Al Gore, the man that uses 20 times the national average to power ONE of his three homes shoved global warming down our throats for months and won an Oscar. Sacha Cohen should have won Best Actor for Borat but since Borat is a comedy they had to give it to the football player from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

The Academy Awards is a popularity contest and the Academy's opinion of what constitutes a good film should be taken with a grain of salt, if that.

Blu-ray exclusive
tracemhunter is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old 02-27-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The City of Townsville
Posts: 2,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe View Post

It makes sense to release razzie films ASAP on disc, cause the longer you wait, the more money you'll lose.

ALl of the oscar winners will be fine with a late release, as their hype will carry them. But bad movies need to release quickly so that the money spent marketing them for theater release may still be useful if people remember a commercial for basic instinct 2 or lady in the water.

Nailed it.
moore is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off