What is SDH captioning? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-01-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed on some of my BLU-RAY discs that on the setup screens, there is an option in the captioning section to pick regular captioning or SDH captioning. There seems to be no difference if I pick the SDH choice. What does SDH stand for and what does it do? --Greg--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-01-2007, 08:29 PM

"SDH" is an American term introduced by the DVD industry. It is an acronym for "Subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing", and refers to regular subtitles in the original language where important non-dialog audio has been added, as well as speaker identification (useful when you cannot tell from the picture alone who is saying what you see as subtitles).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtitles#SDH
post #3 of 8 Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Just seems like a waste to me for people watching action movies on Blu-Ray. I mean, what good is PCM sound, if you can't hear it? Not to sound like a dick or anything, just seems a little...
post #4 of 8 Old 03-01-2007, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Deaf people aren't allowed to enjoy HD movies then? If they're not blind I would think they could still enjoy the HD benefits. Same thing goes for the other way around.......If I went blind, I would still "listen" to movies even though I couldn't see the picture......especially if it was lossless sound.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #5 of 8 Old 03-02-2007, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi664 View Post

Just seems like a waste to me for people watching action movies on Blu-Ray. I mean, what good is PCM sound, if you can't hear it? Not to sound like a dick or anything, just seems a little...

As we all get older we lose some amount of hearing. I'm not deaf but have enjoyed using the subtitles for years. Unfortunately, it happens to all of us. --Greg--
post #6 of 8 Old 03-02-2007, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not to sound like a dick or anything

Sorry, you failed.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-02-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Amazing....So are you saying deaf people wouldnt dare be in the same room as someone who can hear? Absolutely amazing that someone would even think something this ignorant.

People lose hearing due to disease, trama, age, whatever and might actually enjoy watching TV with friends, loved ones.

Quote:

What does SDH stand for and what does it do?

SDH enhances the closed captions to give a better understanding of where the sounds are coming from and special effect sounds - its more then just closed captions. Watch a quiet scene with someone knocking at the door, or walking up off screen, and it might show they are doing this. Sometimes I watch movies with subtitles on when my wife is studying with the sound down low and have noticed some of these things with SDH. She explained to me why they were different, oddly because, its part of her degree program to be a court reporter. Closed Captioning is part of that degree and apparenlty is a decent living.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I guess you are right...since a lot of people want/need to use subtitles, it's a waste to include PCM audio at all. They should just leave it out. :sarcasm

Blu won :(
No big deal, I don't buy movies anymore anyway. Time to move on.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page