post #31 of 2482 Old 03-06-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB99 View Post

That's HILARIOUS! I just love freaking people out with stuff like this. It's funny how many people are out there that don't know what is possible. I am going to hit my local Tweeter (who retails/stocks the "lower end" of high-end equipment brands -but can order you "the good stuff") and the Best Buy to see if I can test my high bitrate burn of "Episode 5". Perhaps between the two of them I will be able to find a set-top player that runs the disc without any issues. My best bet for checking the Dolby 5.1 output will DEFINITELY be Tweeter, as they have a better equipment selection, and will most likely have their Blu-Ray demo units hooked up to something decent...

Lee

Lee, let me know what you find out. Or to put it more into the context of things, "Help me Lee, you're my only hope" **insert hologram here**

Marc.

MDC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2482 Old 03-06-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I went to "Tweeter" and tested my BD-RE of Episode 5. Once I got there, I realized PRETTY QUICKLY that I should have (at least) went ahead and burned the same information on to a -R disc. They had FOUR Blu-Ray players:

Pioneer
Sony
Panasonic
Samsung

The Pioneer was "dead", so I couldn't test it. The manager told me that he was supposed to ship it back to get a replacement demo unit. This is unfortunate, as Pioneer makes some really good stuff, and I would have expected more from them. The first player up was the Samsung. After inserting the disc, it went into "forever load", which basically locked up the player. We had to unplug it from the outlet to do a hard reset, just to eject my disc once the power was restored.
Next up was the Sony. I EXPECTED it to work, as I figured that they MUST be using the same basic drive as the PS3. If the issue was with the drive not being able to read -RE discs, then one must assume that the Sony would surely work. It didn't. The display said somthing like "Can't Load" or some other similar crap.
The final test was on the Panasonic. It was the one unit that came "closest" to working. It recognized the disc as a Blu-Ray video, and LOOKED like it was going to play. Then it stopped. No luck.

So, I was 0 for 3 with the -RE disc. When I got home, I made a -R disc of the same content, and I will return to re-test with that disc. So, for now, it would appear that the PS3 IS the best option for Blu-Ray and playback of material on "burned" media. After seeing these other dedicated players in action (or lack therof), it made me wonder quite strongly why ANYONE would choose a "set top" player over the PS3, as the PS3 looks to be a better "everything" than the dedicated players. The boot times ALONE make the PS3 seem "far more" capable than the other units.

I suppose that whether you prefer to just burn the .mpeg to the disc and play it in the media center (without good navigation capabilities) or to burn it as a "BDAV" (with good navigation but possible audio problems in the first minute or so of the video files) it is ENTIRELY up to you. I can see how many people would want to just burn the .mpegs to the disc for the conveinence of:

1. Archiving the .mpegs to a removeable media without "converting" it to a M2TS stream (in a Blu-Ray burn that MIGHT not be compatible with a variety of hardware)
2. Eliminates the previously mentioned audio glitches (which I think should not be present) when viewing the .mpegs in the PS3 media center.
3. The only drawback that I KNOW of is poor/no navigation once you get past a certain point in the videos.

If the Audio output is indeed IDENTICAL in both the media center AND the "Blu-Ray BDAV" mode, then this would be ANOTHER argument for simply burning the raw .mpegs to the disc to both archive AND use on the PS3. Right now, I am burning some raw Mpegs to a BD-RE just to see how I like it compared to a "BDAV" compilation. I think that playback and audio (based upon my past testing) is pretty much the same. And when you load a "BDAV" disc into the PS3, you don't get a menu or anything, it looks pretty much like what you see when you are playing something from the media center.

Mozart- I don't know what the issue is with your burner, but the times that you are indicating to burn "small amounts" of information sounds really out of hand. I was having a similar issue with an external Sony dual layer burner on my computer, and I was able to resolve it be updating the USB drivers to my motherboard. It made a SUBSTANTIAL improvement, and made my maximum burn speeds FOUR TIMES faster. If you are using onboard USB or even an add-on card, you might want to try finding new 2.0 drivers...

Lee
post #33 of 2482 Old 03-06-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Well, I went to "Tweeter" and tested my BD-RE of Episode 5. Once I got there, I realized PRETTY QUICKLY that I should have (at least) went ahead and burned the same information on to a -R disc. They had FOUR Blu-Ray players:

Pioneer
Sony
Panasonic
Samsung

The Pioneer was "dead", so I couldn't test it. The manager told me that he was supposed to ship it back to get a replacement demo unit. This is unfortunate, as Pioneer makes some really good stuff, and I would have expected more from them. The first player up was the Samsung. After inserting the disc, it went into "forever load", which basically locked up the player. We had to unplug it from the outlet to do a hard reset, just to eject my disc once the power was restored.
Next up was the Sony. I EXPECTED it to work, as I figured that they MUST be using the same basic drive as the PS3. If the issue was with the drive not being able to read -RE discs, then one must assume that the Sony would surely work. It didn't. The display said somthing like "Can't Load" or some other similar crap.
The final test was on the Panasonic. It was the one unit that came "closest" to working. It recognized the disc as a Blu-Ray video, and LOOKED like it was going to play. Then it stopped. No luck.

So, I was 0 for 3 with the -RE disc. When I got home, I made a -R disc of the same content, and I will return to re-test with that disc. So, for now, it would appear that the PS3 IS the best option for Blu-Ray and playback of material on "burned" media. After seeing these other dedicated players in action (or lack therof), it made me wonder quite strongly why ANYONE would choose a "set top" player over the PS3, as the PS3 looks to be a better "everything" than the dedicated players. The boot times ALONE make the PS3 seem "far more" capable than the other units.

I suppose that whether you prefer to just burn the .mpeg to the disc and play it in the media center (without good navigation capabilities) or to burn it as a "BDAV" (with good navigation but possible audio problems in the first minute or so of the video files) it is ENTIRELY up to you. I can see how many people would want to just burn the .mpegs to the disc for the conveinence of:

1. Archiving the .mpegs to a removeable media without "converting" it to a M2TS stream (in a Blu-Ray burn that MIGHT not be compatible with a variety of hardware)
2. Eliminates the previously mentioned audio glitches (which I think should not be present) when viewing the .mpegs in the PS3 media center.
3. The only drawback that I KNOW of is poor/no navigation once you get past a certain point in the videos.

If the Audio output is indeed IDENTICAL in both the media center AND the "Blu-Ray BDAV" mode, then this would be ANOTHER argument for simply burning the raw .mpegs to the disc to both archive AND use on the PS3. Right now, I am burning some raw Mpegs to a BD-RE just to see how I like it compared to a "BDAV" compilation. I think that playback and audio (based upon my past testing) is pretty much the same. And when you load a "BDAV" disc into the PS3, you don't get a menu or anything, it looks pretty much like what you see when you are playing something from the media center.

Mozart- I don't know what the issue is with your burner, but the times that you are indicating to burn "small amounts" of information sounds really out of hand. I was having a similar issue with an external Sony dual layer burner on my computer, and I was able to resolve it be updating the USB drivers to my motherboard. It made a SUBSTANTIAL improvement, and made my maximum burn speeds FOUR TIMES faster. If you are using onboard USB or even an add-on card, you might want to try finding new 2.0 drivers...

Lee

If you know your gonna use the PS3 as a playback then a data disk with just the .mpg's will be fine. However, there is a bug (on somebody's end), that when you do file info (TRIANGLE button during playback), you will notice that it video length may not be correct, so if you RR/FF and go beyond that point the PS3 will start choking and if you press PLAY it will return to the spot it thinks your video ends, kinda annoying...
post #34 of 2482 Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lee

Lee,

I don't think that the issue is with my burner. It is LiteOn Blu-ray SATA drive.
When I burn BD data disk of my D hard drive as backup with 22 GB of data using Nero 7 it only takes 42 minutes to burn.

Nero 7 - 22 GB - 42 minutes
ImgBurn - 22 GB - 41 minute
PowerProducer - 1 GB - 22 minutes

You see, something is wrong with PowerProducer.
post #35 of 2482 Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post

Here is my authoring and burning test with PowerProducer 3.7 (patched) that came with Sony BD burner at work.
I use it at home with my LiteOn BD burner because that version that came with LiteOn is even worth.

1. FILE.

I took 1GB HD .TS file that I recorded from Motorola HD DVR to my PC via firewire. File has original broadcast quality 1920x1080 video and DD 5.1 at 384 Kbps audio. I converted this file to HD PS .MPG file because PowerProducer 3.7 doesn't recognize .TS files.

2. AUTHORING AND BURNING.

It took 22 minutes to just burn BDAV compilation on BD-RE disk, which kind of very long time for 1 GB.

3. PLAYBACK

1) Playback of M2TS file directly from the STREAM folder from BD-RE disk.

a) NERO ShowTime 3.5.3.2 - plays back in 5.1 surround sound, but information shows that it is 2.0 channels at 256 Kbps.
b) PowerDVD 7.2 Ultra BD Edition - plays back in 2.0 stereo and information shows that it is 2.0 channels at 256 Kbps.

2) Playback of BDAV disk.

a) NERO ShowTime 3.5.3.2 - "Missing features: BDAV playback" message.
b) PowerDVD 7.2 Ultra BD Edition - plays back in 2.0 stereo and information shows that it is 2.0 channels at 256 Kbps.
c) PS3 - display shows that it is MultiChannel Auddio, but plays in 2.0 stereo (knows PS3 issue)

SO, I guess, PowerProducer 3.7 (even patched) screwing up the headers (or whatever it is) of the DD 5.1 audio track during authoring and burning.

Now, guys, convince me if PowerProducer 4 works any better, and if it worth upgrading, and how much is upgrade if it is worth it.

I can't guarantee PP 4.0 will be better but I know 3.7 is more or less an OEM version and 4.0 fixed my problems with chapter stops on the PS3. It was $50 for the upgrade. Still cheaper than DVDit HD Pro and less bugs
post #36 of 2482 Old 03-06-2007, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

You know, the really funny thing is that my results are quite different than yours. While I was typing the above "test report" I have been burning some .mpegs to a -RE disc using the "Power2Go" software (not the power producer), and it would appear that my burning time with this software is SUBSTANTIALLY slower than the "on the fly" burning of Power Producer. According to the burn rate, it has been going for an hour and 12 minutes, and it is only 73% done. Now, this is to TOTALLY fill up the disc with 2 movies, but it would appear that it is taking AT LEAST twice as long as it would have for me normally in Power Producer. Very Strange. I need to get my NERO updated to Blu-Ray burning support...

Plee- Did going to version 4 of Power Producer make ANY difference in the audio dropouts that I (and others) have been experiencing on the PS3 with the BDAV movie discs? If so, then that it really my ONLY gripe at this point, and I would GLADLY pay the $39.95 upcharge to eliminate that issue. And by the way, I have had NO chapter stop issues with 3.7 on my PS3...

Lee
post #37 of 2482 Old 03-06-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for making such an effort Lee! So it looks like I'm going to burn the raw MPEG2's to BDRE for now. Worse comes to worse, I can stream them from my Blu-Ray drive in the PC to my XBOX360, and get 5.1 audio output. Thre's no reason the PS3 won't be able to do it in the near future. For now that seems like the best way of doing things. That way our BD-RE's will act as an archive and a playback medium.

Marc.

MDC
post #38 of 2482 Old 03-06-2007, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

After doing some more testing, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that burning "HD DVD" compatible discs on dual layer DVD's IS "better" at this point than burning PS3 compatible Blu-Ray discs, with the exception of the fact that the Blu-Ray discs will allow you to burn "large files" without splitting them up. If you don't mind swapping discs, the navigation, audio and cost favors converting files to HD DVD format. This could all change, however, if only Sony would update the PS3 firmware to fix the audio output issue and whatever is causing audio "dropouts" at the beginning of the videos. I THINK that since this dropout issue only seems to be noticeable at the beginning of videos due to the fact that the sound "completely goes away" during the intros of movies, as the different studio information is displayed before the feature. Perhaps the PS3 is programmed to drop the sound output when there is a total lack of audio signal??? I can visually SEE the audio signal getting "turned off" to my receiver (from the PS3) when the audio drops out, so this means that the PS3 is momentarily CUTTING OFF the audio output to the receiver when this happens.

You know, Sony can fix all of this REALLY EASY with a firmware upgrade. They are updating the PS3 firmware quite frequently, and one can only assume that they will fix this in the near future. Perhaps we should all send them an e-mail asking to fix these issues in a future update?

I tried burning a 720p video in Power Producer, and it tried to re-encode it. So 720p with Power Producer 3 is not a good option. I also burned the raw .mpegs to a -RE disc to play in the "media center", and when I selected them, they would not play and the PS3 reported them as "The data is corrupt". Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I can test these videos in raw .mpg format in the media center? I had done this before in the past with a 720p file, and it worked. I had used NERO to burn that to a "regular" DVD. On this test disc, I burned it with the "2go" program, so perhaps that was the issue. I now have a -R copy of a movie that I will be going back to "Tweeter" with, and I will try it on the three previously mentioned set-top players...

Lee
post #39 of 2482 Old 03-07-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I have some VERY interesting news to report...

I took a BD-R recording of the SAME material (as tested before on BD-RE) back to "Tweeter", and finally got some RESULTS.

It must be noted that I was using a VERBATIM BD-R disc for this test, and I have NO IDEA whether or not the Sony BD-R media will produce the same results. I have some Sony media to test, and I will report what happens with those BD-R's as well. The reason why I tried Verbatim first is because it is well known that their Dual Layer DVD recordables are among the most compatible with a wide variety of set-top DVD players. I had ONE Verbatim and "several" Sony -R's, but I decided to try the Verbatim first. And here are the results...

Sony set-top Player: Same result as BD-RE ("Can't Play" on display)
Panasonic set-top Player: Same result as BD-RE (tries to load, recognizes and then say "incompatible")
Samsung BD-P1000: WORKS!

This was quite surprising (again), as one would EXPECT that AT LEAST the Sony would be compatible. Now for the interesting details. Similar, but NOT THE SAME as the PS3, there was a small audio issue at the beginning of the disc. What makes this so strange is that the dropout (or lack of audio) on the Samsung was that no audio was output during the first 11 seconds of the disc. The means that the audio "kicked in" during the middle of the "Lucasfilm" logo. In contrast, when watching the SAME disc on a PS3, the audio starts immediately at the beginning of the disc, cuts out near the end of the "Fox" intro and then resumes (permanently) at the tail end of the "Lucasfilm" logo. Given the fact that both units had DIFFERENT audio dropouts, one can only guess as to how this could be fixed or even narrowed down to one particular issue.

Once the audio started, there were no other observed audio related issues. I was able to navigate the disc without any issues, and playback was as expected. It was really neat watching this movie in 1080p @ 25Mbps on a Pioneer 1080p plasma! The employees at the store were somewhat baffled at this accomplishment, and then requested that I bring them back another "test disc".

Unfortunately, this display had only the BD player hooked up directly to the monitor through HDMI. The "information" buttons on the remote controller for the player did not allow me to access any audio stream information, and since the player was NOT hooked up to a multi-channel receiver, I was unable to determine if the output from the player's digital audio output was truly "dolby digital".

So, there you have it. If you want to watched Blu-Ray discs that you have burned yourself with HD material on a set-top player, you will need to use the Samsung BD-P1000, and for GUARANTEED playback (until other media is properly tested), you will need to use the Verbatim brand BD-R's. (Got mine at Best Buy). Hope this is helpful information for all...

Lee
post #40 of 2482 Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Maybe Sony doesn't want them to work in their players. Whether people are only making home movies of their vacations doesn't matter. Making discs is still a step towards pirating their movies.

-David
post #41 of 2482 Old 03-07-2007, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Lee,

Thanks for all the effort and sharing. I'm also very interested on the subject.

In Japan, there are a few all-in-one blu-ray players with OTA/Sat HDTV receiver (Japanese system) and internal HDD etc. The machine records broadcast HDTV to internal hdd then burn on blu-ray R/RE. The resulting blu-ray R/RE plays like a normal blu-ray movie disc on other blu-ray playback only player.

I have tons of TS content recorded from the Japanese Sat HDTV channel. Video is the common 1080i MPEG2 though their bitrate is very high at around 20mbps. Audio is in AAC (instead of DD). I want to test if these captured TS content can be burn on blu-ray and playback on a standalone blu-ray player.

If you can help me to test, I can put up a clip for you to download and try.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
post #42 of 2482 Old 03-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Li On,

I am interested too.
post #43 of 2482 Old 03-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Is anybody here using DVDit Pro HD?

I've heard its got its share of bugs, but once you have successfully made your first disc it all works from then on.

I would like to know how compatible the discs are it makes for set top playback,because roxio is branding it as the be all end all of blu-ray home authoring.

if thats true, the blu-ray discs burned and authored from it should work on everything unless the manufacturer has faultered on playback specs.
post #44 of 2482 Old 03-08-2007, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

You know, within the last day or so, I have encountered something quite strange. Similar to what Mozart has previously reported, my burning speeds in the Cyberlink Director software has gone COMPLETELY down the tubes. In the beginning, I was able to burn an entire 25 GB BD-RE disc in around 40-45 minutes. Now, with the SAME DISC, it is taking HOURS to burn. The way it is acting, I can fully understand why Mozart was under the impression that the software was re-encoding the video.
I do not know if this is something that happens with a BD-RE after you have burned to it more than once, or if there is some other unknown reason. I find this very frustrating and difficult to understand, as I was (previously) VERY pleased with the speed in which I could burn an entire disc. I have checked all of the settings, and nothing really seems to have changed. Anyone have any ideas???

Li On- I would be happy to help you, but what you are asking would mean that I would be burning a small amount of information to a 25 Gb write-once disc. We already know that the set top boxes do not appear to be compatible with the -RE discs, so testing one of those with your material would only confirm what we already know. I am interested in helping, but what might make the most sense (initailly) would be for me to test your video file on a -RE disc and see if it works on a PS3. This way, we would at least know that the AAC audio is properly "utilized" or "converted" with the Cyberlink software...

Lee
post #45 of 2482 Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I mean on a -RE since I also have the PS3. Will PM you a link of test clip later. Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
post #46 of 2482 Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

I have discovered the answer to the "slow burns" that I (and Mozart) have previously referred to. As it turns out, I can put a BD-R (write once) disc into my burner and record a video file with Power Producer at FULL burn speed (2X). This means that a "new" or "unburned" disc will burn at FULL SPEED, and a "full" 25GB disc will take anywhere between 40 minutes to an hour to complete. Additionally, burning a -R disc (in power producer) will allow you to burn MORE DATA than the -RE discs will. I was able to fit two entire movies on one disc on a -R that WOULD NOT fit (at least the software wouldn't let me burn it) on a -RE disc.

From my memory, the -RE discs burned EVERY BIT as fast as the -R's do the first time that I burned them. Aparently, the software will not burn a -RE disc at "full speed" once it has already been written to. This MIGHT be software related, and might not be an issue in "Nero", as I have seen the SAME media burn at different speeds using different software in the past (with DVD dual layer media).

When a BD-R (or fresh -RE for that matter) is burning at full speed, you can visually watch the packets being written to the disc, by observing the blinking green "access" light on the drive. A packet (at 2X speed) will get written approximately twice per second, and the duration of each write appears to take place in an even interval (a burn duration of about 1/4 to 1/3 second). When burning a "used" -RE, it appears that the packets are written only once every several seconds, and the duration of the burn takes 2-3 times as long per packet versus a "first time" burn. All it took was for me to start "burning some -R's" to realize this. I even tried doing a "complete erase" on a -RE disc (instead of a "quick erase"), and that did not seem to speed up the writes to the disc.

UPDATED: I have 2 -RE discs, and after doing multiple burning tests with both of them, it would appear that one burns at "normal" speed while the other is EXTREMELY slow. It takes something like 6 hours to burn a video. Once it is done, however, the disc is "properly" burned. I think that the disc must be defective, because 6 hours is just plain ridiculous.

Now that I have burned some video to some Sony -R discs, I will try and do some set-top testing this weekend. I will post my results...

Lee
post #47 of 2482 Old 03-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

I just got a reply back from one of the guys that works at sonic about DVDit! PRO HD's BD-RE set top playback compatability, thought you guys might find it interesting:

"We use BD-RE's for testing all the time. It is the smart way to do it at this nascent stage of the game where writables are expensive. You can have successful playback with the Panasonic BD player, Pioneer and unmodified Samsung BD player (original firmware). Probably PowerDVD BD as well.

The PS3 will not currently play BDMV discs (Blu-ray movie mode discs on writables). I believe that will change with one of their future firmware updates."
post #48 of 2482 Old 03-11-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdigital View Post

Is anybody here using DVDit Pro HD?

I've heard its got its share of bugs, but once you have successfully made your first disc it all works from then on.

I would like to know how compatible the discs are it makes for set top playback,because roxio is branding it as the be all end all of blu-ray home authoring.

if thats true, the blu-ray discs burned and authored from it should work on everything unless the manufacturer has faultered on playback specs.

I sort of use it... I can say this when it works it works and when it doesn't it's pretty bad. One of the annoying bugs is an End Of File error when DVDit demuxes a .mpg file and I found a workaround by just using elementary streams Once you find out the .mpg encoding settings to use and what to things to avoid it does a pretty decent job.

And yes there are only 3 known stand alone players able to play \\BDMV so hopefully this will increase. Otherwise, DVDit HD is worthless for the average consumer.
post #49 of 2482 Old 03-13-2007, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

NEW COMPATABILITY REPORT!!!

I just went back to Tweeter today, as it was close to the Moviestop where I pre-bought Casino Royale. I tried two different Sony BD-R discs. One of them had a LARGE movie file that took up the entire 25GB disc, and on the other, I was able to manage to put 2 different titles on it. As with my previous testing with the Verbatim BD-R discs, only the Samsung BD-P1000 player was able to play the discs. The Sony and Panasonics were not able to play the recordings.

Interestingly enough, the first time that I put the BD-R with two shows on it into the Samsung, it ejected after several seconds and said "can not play" on the screen. I re-inserted it, and it played fine. I was able to use the "skip" arrow to jump to the second video. Everything seemed to work fine. Unfortunately (as before), I was unable to "hear" the videos, as no speakers were hooked up, but I can only imagine that there MUST have probably been some minor audio dropouts present in the first 10 or so seconds of the beginning of each video. ...As previously noted.

So, for now, BD-R's from both Verbatim and Sony work in the Samsung BD-P1000 player ONLY when burned with "Power Producer" using a 1920 X 1080 mpeg video source. The Playstation 3, however, plays both the BD-R and -RE discs with two minor issues. 1) Audio dropouts exist (as with the set top unit) at the very beginning of each video, but appear to go away early on and do not come back. 2) Dolby Digital 5.1 audio appears to be properly recognized by the PS3, but the hardware "downmixes" the audio output through the optical output so that your receiver sees it as a "Dolby 2.0" signal. I do not have any way to check the HDMI output to see if it is passing along the 5.1 audio stream "untouched", because I have a $5,000 amplifier that is only about 3 years old, and I HATE having manufacturers force new standards on me...

Lee
post #50 of 2482 Old 03-13-2007, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been playing around for some time with various tools and can confirm the following:

The Panasonic player will play DVDR, DVDR DL and BD-RE media burned with BDMV format - this is the format generated by DVDit Pro HD for example.

I have noticed that there may be issues with higher bandwidth files on DVD media... I have not studied that in detail but I have seen signs of it. Material below 20 Mbps should be fine.

As noted by others the PS3 will not play these discs. I hope that is fixed!

I do also hope to create some BDAV discs with the software provided with the Sony drive. I have not gone there yet. I expect the opposite compatibility - Panasonic will fail but PS3 will work with BDAV.

I hope that we do see everything move towards BDMV...

In other news, I have some compatibility with the DVDit HD tool for different broadcast stations. Let me know if there is interest and I will post that information here.
post #51 of 2482 Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloyd View Post

I have been playing around for some time with various tools and can confirm the following:

The Panasonic player will play DVDR, DVDR DL and BD-RE media burned with BDMV format - this is the format generated by DVDit Pro HD for example.

I have noticed that there may be issues with higher bandwidth files on DVD media... I have not studied that in detail but I have seen signs of it. Material below 20 Mbps should be fine.

I do also hope to create some BDAV discs with the software provided with the Sony drive. I have not gone there yet. I expect the opposite compatibility - Panasonic will fail but PS3 will work with BDAV.

In other news, I have some compatibility with the DVDit HD tool for different broadcast stations. Let me know if there is interest and I will post that information here.

The new firmware for the Sony BDP-S1 now has \\BDMV enabled so let's hope that it will come on the next PS3 update.
post #52 of 2482 Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, and hopefully, they will fix the two known audio issues while they are at it (drop outs at the beginning of the video files and downsampling the output through the optical out)...

Lee
post #53 of 2482 Old 03-14-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Yeah, and hopefully, they will fix the two known audio issues while they are at it (drop outs at the beginning of the video files and downsampling the output through the optical out)...

Lee

Are you using PowerProducer 4.0? I don't seem to have the dropout problems, you have mentioned.
post #54 of 2482 Old 03-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lee

I used PowerProducer 3.7 (patched) to create BDAV on BD-RE and I didn't have audio drop outs when played on PS3.
post #55 of 2482 Old 03-14-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If Sony fixes the 5.1-to-2.1 audio downmix issue w/the PS3, I'd simply drop my HD MPGs onto DVD+R DLs & BD-R/REs w/o authoring. I can live w/o menus or chapters.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #56 of 2482 Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

If Sony fixes the 5.1-to-2.1 audio downmix issue w/the PS3, I'd simply drop my HD MPGs onto DVD+R DLs & BD-R/REs w/o authoring. I can live w/o menus or chapters.

Completely agree with you. PowerProducer is crap.
post #57 of 2482 Old 03-14-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, caught up with you guys somewhat.

I now have PowerProducer (who names these things!) making a BDAV image that is playable on PS3.

It probably has all the same issues that you have/had.

I used a segment captured from HDNet and it seems to be fine.

I will try some more experiments this weekend to see if we can work around needing PowerProducer.
post #58 of 2482 Old 03-14-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm watching this with great interest. I've had my own ideas on putting my own "backup" edits of the favorite trilogies together (Star Wars prequels on one disc, original trilogy on another, LOTR EE's to one disc, etc). If/when I see this is stable I'll get a BD burner, the appropriate software, and a standalone, but I know I'd end up burning coasters or getting frustrated if I jump in before it's ready.

The PS3 would be my preferred playback device, so hopefully they'll add BDMV compatibility in the next firmware update or two.... Hopefully this time next year, I'll be burning my own BD's...

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #59 of 2482 Old 03-14-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

The audio "dropout" problem only occurs during the intro of a movie, and once the "show" begins, there are no more dropouts. I saw this BOTH on the PS3 and the Samsung BD-P1000 player. Using the SAME DISC, both of them had an audio issue in the beginning, but here is the REAL kicker: The dropout was different on each player. On the PS3, the dropouts SEEMED to have to do with the transition between each of the "studio" logo intros. It is almost as if the PS3 completely "cut off" the audio output to the receiver whenever there was a segment with "no audio information", like when there is silence between the studio intros. The "dropout" experienced with the Samsung lasted through the first 11 seconds of the recording, which showed NO similarity to the PS3 issue, other than the fact that there was a "loss of audio" at the beginning of playback.

I am using the same "patched" Power Producer 3.7 as many others. Do not be afraid to "pull the trigger" on getting into burning these discs, particularly if you are using a PS3 and want to use -RE media. The ONLY downside at this point (once the show starts) is the "downconverted" audio output that the PS3 does to the sound, but realistically, it still sounds "good" and your receiver will decode it where it sounds like a 5.1 mix. At least it does on my Denon 5803. The "audio dropout" issue is DEFINITELY in the playback hardware, as I can take the exact same disc and play it on the Blu-Ray player in my PC, and there are NO audio dropouts present...

Lee
post #60 of 2482 Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloyd View Post

The PS3 will play BDMV on DVD/R, just not on BD-RE (at least not current firmware). It does play BDAV on BD-RE/R though.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page