My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiences... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2482 Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Then how to make BDMV on DVDR (or DVD-RW?) Any free (or cheap) tool for that? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2482 Old 03-15-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

The PS3 will play BDMV on DVD/R, just not on BD-RE (at least not current firmware). It does play BDAV on BD-RE/R though.

So you can author a BDMV onto a regular DVD/R or dual layered DVD/R for playback on the PS3? Just like we have been doing with homebrew HD-DVDs? I wasn't aware the PS3 would play them! I'll have to try it tonight!

Marc.

MDC
post #63 of 2482 Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 AM

Question for some people actually burning these:

Do they scratch easy?

I don't imagine that the ones we'd burn have the protective coating on them, and given all the horror stories people were spreading about how easy blu-ray would scratch, I am worried about the burnable media. (Not really an issue yet since I'm not going to by a burner until the media costs less than a movie, but would be good to know )
post #64 of 2482 Old 03-15-2007, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D Carra View Post

So you can author a BDMV onto a regular DVD/R or dual layered DVD/R for playback on the PS3? Just like we have been doing with homebrew HD-DVDs? I wasn't aware the PS3 would play them! I'll have to try it tonight!

Marc.

The apps won't let you do it. But if you have a version that will create an ISO and then burn the ISO over, it will work as long as the size fits. I haven't tried the DL DVD/R, but single layer DVD works.

---

The BD-RE and BD-Rs that I use from philips, sony, TDK, Fuji are tough and essentially scratch proof, I don't use steel wool, but with normal usage, I seriously doubt they will fail..
post #65 of 2482 Old 03-15-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

The apps won't let you do it. But if you have a version that will create an ISO and then burn the ISO over, it will work as long as the size fits. I haven't tried the DL DVD/R, but single layer DVD works.

Yes, DVD it Pro will make an ISO, but I've never bothered trying to burn the ISO to a DVDR becuase I figured the PS3 wouldn't recognize it anyway. If this works, it's a HUGE step. My BDAV's look incredible on the PS3 but the media is so darned expensive. I just authored a Discovery HD recording called 'The Beauty of Snakes' to BDAV and it is, bar none, the most detailed HD program I have ever watched. Even better than my Discovery Atlas discs I purchased last month. Breathtaking color and detail! All in MPEG2 to boot.

MODS: If HD-DVD authoring gets a Sticky, so should this thread!!!!

Marc.

MDC
post #66 of 2482 Old 03-15-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Neo1965, which software did you use to burn the Blu-Ray ISO image to DVDR?

I tried making an ISO image using DVD it HD pro and then using Nero 7, I burned the image to a DVDR. The PS3 recognized the DVDR as a data disc and it wouldn't play. What am I doing wrong?

Marc.

MDC
post #67 of 2482 Old 03-15-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Personally, I see NO appeal in burning "DVD" discs for playback on PS3 or Blu-Ray set-top players. The A1 HD DVD player does that just fine. The appeal to burning Blu-Ray discs (for me) is to be able to use ONE single layer disc to hold a movie that would take up THREE dual layer DVD's. EVERY HD DVD conversion that I have done to date has required me to, at the very least, use one dual layer disc (for the first 1:40 to 2:00) and a second single layer DVD for the remaining content. In some cases, I have had to use TWO dual layer discs. If you were doing a LOTR conversion, it would take up AT LEAST 3 dual layer discs. Changing discs "once" during viewing is one thing, but twice or more just isn't appealing to me...

Lee
post #68 of 2482 Old 03-15-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB99 View Post

Personally, I see NO appeal in burning "DVD" discs for playback on PS3 or Blu-Ray set-top players. The A1 HD DVD player does that just fine. The appeal to burning Blu-Ray discs (for me) is to be able to use ONE single layer disc to hold a movie that would take up THREE dual layer DVD's. EVERY HD DVD conversion that I have done to date has required me to, at the very least, use one dual layer disc (for the first 1:40 to 2:00) and a second single layer DVD for the remaining content. In some cases, I have had to use TWO dual layer discs. If you were doing a LOTR conversion, it would take up AT LEAST 3 dual layer discs. Changing discs "once" during viewing is one thing, but twice or more just isn't appealing to me...

Lee

Lee, the appeal to me is that in an a/b picture comparision the same Mpeg2 file on the PS3 looks better than on my Toshiba HD-A1. Better color and detail. Both are hooked up via HDMI. I've compared several movies and discovery HD videos and the PS3 looks better everytime. So if I must burn to DVDR, I'd rather play it back on the PS3. I guess I can just burn it as an Mpeg2 file for now, but an authored BDMV would be nicer.

Many authored HD-DVDs I have done fit on 1 dual layered DVDR. Most of them are either discovery HD type stuff or shorter movies like 'The Incredibles', but many of my recordings fit on a DVDR9 without any changes to the original file. So disk swapping isn't really an issue with them.

Marc.

MDC
post #69 of 2482 Old 03-15-2007, 01:54 PM

burn an ISO image with DVDit Pro HD. Then go to "Burn Disc" and select DVD as the disc type and select "from image" rather than from current project. Select your BD ISO and click OK.

Works in the Panny. sounds like it works in the PS3. Wonder if it works in the Sony BD player.
post #70 of 2482 Old 03-15-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Scott View Post

burn an ISO image with DVDit Pro HD. Then go to "Burn Disc" and select DVD as the disc type and select "from image" rather than from current project. Select your BD ISO and click OK.

Works in the Panny. sounds like it works in the PS3. Wonder if it works in the Sony BD player.

Awesome! Thanks! Looking forward to trying this after work

Marc.

MDC
post #71 of 2482 Old 03-15-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

From my testing, I kind of doubt that the Sony will play it. That is, of course, unless the real difference that "makes it work" is the BDMV versus BDAV burn. The Samsung and PS3 are the only two players that I could get to play burned Blu-Rays, with the PS3 playing both -R and -RE discs. The Samsung would only play -R's, both Sony and Verbatim media...

Lee

Quote:

post #72 of 2482 Old 03-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On View Post

Then how to make BDMV on DVDR (or DVD-RW?) Any free (or cheap) tool for that? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

I use Ulead MF5. It makes the BDMV the same fashion as HD-DVD. Then I simply burn BDMV onto a DVD+R using Nero. The disk with menu and chapters will play in Samsung (and presumably PS3 and panny) as long as the bit rate is UNDER 20 mbps. Anything over 20mbps seemed to stutter in Samsung. But as LeeB99 reported Sony BD player will complain "can't play the disk" no matter what.

I started a few threads last year on this forum about my BD burn experience with red laser media and got little interest. I thought it was because the red laser media that prevented BDMV from playing on all BD players. Its dissappointing to see BDMV on blue laser media having exactly the same issues.

I have this feeling that Hollywood and Sony just don't want to see us making home made movies, except perhaps as data backup.
post #73 of 2482 Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD View Post

I use Ulead MF5. It makes the BDMV the same fashion as HD-DVD.

GodobeHD,

Are you using older version of Ulead MF5?

I am asking this because I tried recent version and it only makes BDAV.
post #74 of 2482 Old 03-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

yes, its Ulead initial MF5 version 0.000.0.
post #75 of 2482 Old 03-16-2007, 02:55 PM

there were reasons that the BDMV version of MF5 was pulled a week after it was released. It preceded the release of the spec for burning BDMV to BD-R/RE by several months, so it never could have been legal as far as the BDA was concerned. A licensing issue is rumored for the pull, but I checked out the streams it was creating and I found that they were not BD legal, so that may have had something to do with it as well. It may also have something to do with the playback issues you are seeing.

BD-R/RE discs created with DVDit Pro HD are now playing in Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony BD players and the Samsung with the original firmware. Generally I only see success with ISO's burned to DVD-R in the Panasonic. FYI - the bit rate max is related to the continuous read rate of DVD-R/+R. That read rate is 3x which should make the max bit rate on such a disc about 24mbs...whereas on BD-R/RE the software allows you to output streams at up to 40mbs.
post #76 of 2482 Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:

there were reasons that the BDMV version of MF5 was pulled a week after it was released. It preceded the release of the spec for burning BDMV to BD-R/RE by several months, so it never could have been legal as far as the BDA was concerned. A licensing issue is rumored for the pull, but I checked out the streams it was creating and I found that they were not BD legal, so that may have had something to do with it as well. It may also have something to do with the playback issues you are seeing.

BD-R/RE discs created with DVDit Pro HD are now playing in Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony BD players and the Samsung with the original firmware. Generally I only see success with ISO's burned to DVD-R in the Panasonic. FYI - the bit rate max is related to the continuous read rate of DVD-R/+R. That read rate is 3x which should make the max bit rate on such a disc about 24mbs...whereas on BD-R/RE the software allows you to output streams at up to 40mbs.

Nice to see here also Scott. Scott is very helpful to DVDit HD Pro users
post #77 of 2482 Old 03-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is disturbing to see that legit BDMV authoring software which is no more complex technically than HD-DVD's costs nearly ten times as much as HD-DVD's and it is not nearly as widely available and glitch free as HD-DVDs. The only explanation as you suggested seems to be that the process is so controled by Sony that Sony can charge whatever licensing fees or imposing whatever conditions. I am afraid if this is any indication for things to come with this format then BD authoring process is going to be out of reach for most consumers except those who have to have it. I am not for one format or the other I just hate to have Hollywood or any CE manufacture dictate what we can do or can have.
post #78 of 2482 Old 03-17-2007, 05:23 PM

actually that is not the answer. you can do fairly simple modifications to a DVD authoring software and get basic HD DVD, thus a number of companies have done that. Blu-ray, and in specific BDMV is an entirely different thing alltogether. That is why you don't see much in the way of software for BDMV authoring as of yet.
post #79 of 2482 Old 03-18-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:

actually that is not the answer. you can do fairly simple modifications to a DVD authoring software and get basic HD DVD, thus a number of companies have done that. Blu-ray, and in specific BDMV is an entirely different thing alltogether. That is why you don't see much in the way of software for BDMV authoring as of yet.

Is there a HD-DVD writer out there yet? I know the media is available...
post #80 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Not yet. Blu-ray is definitely ahead in this area.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #81 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

BDMV is more complicated and I've not had good experience with external tools so far. In fact, I had to get someone to write one up based on the spec for our own internal use after giving up on external tools. (We needed HD AVC and VC1 support, not just MPEG2).

In the mean time, for MPEG2 HD, Cyberlink's Power Producer 4.0 January update can create BDAV which works very well on PS3 and samsungs. It essentially works for any MPEG2 stream I've tried. If you're using SL BD25 disks (as 99% of us will since the 50GB one is about $50 each!), try to keep your total file size < 22GB --- there's some overhead in the muxed stream. BDAV does not work in Panasonics.

You do have to fix up any errors in the stream before hand as PowerProducer is touchy with errors in the input and can blow up easily. I used VideoRedo to correct errors in the stream and force conversion of TS to MPG.

Btw, I use BD-RE first until I am satisfied and I painstakingly make notes of the time for chapter points and save frequently. Believe it or not, everything is very easy, but if you want to do it well, the chapter points will take up 90% of your editing time as you want to move the chapter points to right frame. Write down your chapter points, you will find it useful it you ever have to redo this for BDMV later.

Eventually I move it to BD-R. The chapter points now work after latest PS3 1.5x firmware update. Chapter points in samsung appear to not work.
post #82 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

How are BDAV & BDMV different? Not sure I understand this.

post #83 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

How are BDAV & BDMV different? Not sure I understand this.

BDAV - no menus, just simple playback with chapter points and also can create playlist.

BDMV - menus and probably all other features like on commercial BD disks.
post #84 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Sounds similar to VR vs. video format on DVD-RWs.

post #85 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, folks, I dug out my old version of Ulead Movie Factory 5.0.0.0000 and was able to make an iso file in BDMV format. It's a test file with some HD movie footage in 5.1 audio. I burned the iso file onto a DVDR using Nero, and my PC recognized it as a Blu-Ray disc and Power DVD Ultra started play it. So I tried the same disc in my PS3 and it shows up as a 'data disc' and won't play , even though it lets me browse all of the blu-ray structured folders on the disc.

So I need a couple of guinea pigs. I've uploaded the 1 gig iso file to a file share site, and need somebody with a set-top blu-ray player (Samsung, and Panasonic) to try it out. You will need to burn the ISO to a DVDR, so a DVD burner will be required. If anyone can try this for me, send me a PM, and I'll send you a link to the file share site with the password. I need to know if the file plays with 5.1 audio on your player.

Marc.

MDC
post #86 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D Carra View Post

If anyone can try this for me, send me a PM

Marc.

Marc,

Your PM mail box is full. You need to clean it up.
post #87 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post

Marc,

Your PM mail box is full. You need to clean it up.

Thanks for the heads up! Just made some room.

Marc.

MDC
post #88 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 07:48 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for posting this thread! I was wondering if someone could post a step-by-step guide on this. There are bits and pieces but I think some of the posts are assuming some previous knowledge that I evidently don't have. Here's what I do have:

1.) I'm capturing HD footage from a R5000 DirecTV set-top-box to my computer.

2.) I convert the high def .TS to an .MPG file with version 1.11.89 of the HDTV->MPEG2 application. This is so that PowerProducer will read the file.

3.) I import the MPG file into Cyberlink PowerProducer Pro version 4.0. However, when I go to burn it, it takes a loong time, and it appears as if PowerProducer is transcoding the file.

4.) I burn the video onto a Sony BD-RE with a Lite-On LH-2B1S Blu-ray burner. I just discovered that my burner had a slightly older firmware (AL05) that I just upgraded to AL06. I haven't had time to test to see if this helps at all.

5.) When I try to play the disc back in my PS3 I get error 80029945.

I believe I'm doing something wrong - either in the conversion of the .TS file or in my authoring of the disc in PowerProducer. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!
post #89 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektrizitat View Post

2.) I convert the high def .TS to an .MPG file with version 1.11.89 of the HDTV->MPEG2 application. This is so that PowerProducer will read the file.

Bad application to convert with, its called HDTVtoMPEG2 but its really for editing TS files, the program stream conversion has been broken for a long time. You would be much better off using Womble or VideoRedo.

Bob
post #90 of 2482 Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, here's my step by step approach for burning MPEG2 streams onto BD-R/BD-RE BDAV for PS3 or samsung player playback.

What you need :
1. Blu-Ray Burner (Panasonic, Sony, LiteOn, LG, plextor, pioneer, etc)
2. BD-RE media (Use RE first so you can erase everything and reuse the disk if you make a mistake).
3. PowerProducer 4 with latest patch Jan '07 or later.

A. Create the .MPG file(s).
1. If you already have the .MPG files and you are sure it is error free, skip to step B.
2. If you have a HDV camcorder, capture the .MPG file on your HDD skip to step B.
3. Run VideoRedoPlus on the file(s) and create .MPG file fixing any synch or stream errors in the process.

B. Run Power Producer.
1. Start a Blu-Ray project
2. Add the MPG file(s) to the video selection.
3. Edit the chapter points (you can have auto chapters added or you can manually set them).
4. Press Burn, Insert Blank BD-RE, wait an hour.
5. Take BD-RE to PS3 and play it. Note Chapter advances work.

----

This works with
1920x1080P,25fps 15Mbps VBR
1920x1080P,24fps 19.2Mbps CBR
1920x1080i,60Hz 22Mbps VBR/CBR
1440x1080i,60Hz 25Mbps CBR (HDV)
1280x720P,24fps/60Hz (any bitrate).
720x480 of any mode.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page