My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiences... - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would you like to know if a menu-less AVCHD image will work on your standalone player? Read on.

1. Download this file (AVCHD.rar), containing a properly created AVCHD image. Decompress the file. This image plays PERFECTLY on a PS3 with firmware 2.35.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/a0p609

2. Download and install ImgBurn. You may also choose to use different software (Nero or other), if it is compatible with .nrg images.
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
They don't allow direct linking, so please grab the file from one of the listed mirrors.

3. Once you launch the tool, select the icon in the top left, named "Write Image File to Disc"

4. By "Source", click the icon of the folder with a magnifying glass, and browse to the extracted AVCHD.nrg file.

5. Put a blank DVD into the device you wish to write with.

6. Make sure the DVD Recording device that you wish to write to is selected in the "Destination" drop down box.

7. Select the "File" menu up top, and choose, "Write".

8. When the writing is complete there will be a message box from ImgBurn stating it is finished. Simply click on the OK button.

9. Pop disc into your player. If your system is compatible with the process described in the next post, you are all set to author your own Blu-Ray discs, using cheap DVD-R media.

This image is a 30 second video of an MPEG-2 720p feed, digitally extracted from a cablebox. The video was not recompressed or altered in any way, other than to place it in an AVCHD container.

Reported Compatibility for Following Players:
Panasonic DMP-BD10: Success
Panasonic DMP-BD30 v1.3: Success
PS3 firmware 2.35: Success
Samsung BDP-1400: Success
Samsung BDP-1500: Success
Sony BDP-300: Success
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 07:17 AM

The AVCHD was created using the steps below.

1. Captured the *.ts video from a Motorola DCH-3416 on the Comcast network using instructions provided here.
http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

2. File was cut to include only the exact frames needed by using VideoRedo Plus. File was saved as *.mpg. Trial version available
http://www.videoredo.com/en/Download.htm?download=plus

3. TSMuxer GUI was used to import the *.mpg file. I verified that the video stream, and only 1 audio stream was selected. Click the "Create Blu-Ray Disc" radiobutton. Choose a directory for the output. Click "start muxing"
http://www.smlabs.net/tsMuxer/tsMuxeR_1.8.4(b).zip

4. Launch Nero Burning ROM. From the "New Compilation Window", select DVD from the very top left corner. Now select "DVD-ROM (UDF)" from the left hand pane. Goto the UDF tab, up top. Set "options" to "manual settings". Set "parition type" to "physical partition". Set "file system version" to "UDF 2.50".
Click "New" at the bottom of the screen.
ftp://nero-mirror.com/software/Nero8..._eng_trial.exe

5. On the right hand side, browse to the directory you selected in Step 3. Drag & Drop the "BDMV" and "CERTIFICATE" directories to the left hand pane where the DVD is authored. Click the "Burn" icon at the top of the screen.

You should now have a working disc. Well, at least a disc that works on a PS3
Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
excellent instructions, btw disowning some of soundtracks will reduce data size too.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GumboChief View Post

The AVCHD was created using the steps below.

1. Captured the *.ts video from a Motorola DCH-3416 on the Comcast network using instructions provided here.
http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

2. File was cut to include only the exact frames needed by using VideoRedo Plus. File was saved as *.mpg. Trial version available
http://www.videoredo.com/en/Download.htm?download=plus

3. TSMuxer GUI was used to import the *.mpg file. I verified that the video stream, and 1 audio stream was selected. Click the "Create Blu-Ray Disc" radiobutton. Choose a directory for the output. Click "start muxing"
http://www.smlabs.net/tsMuxer/tsMuxeR_1.8.4(b).zip

4. Launch Nero Burning ROM. From the "New Compilation Window", select DVD from the very top left corner. Now select "DVD-ROM (UDF)" from the left hand pane. Goto the UDF tab, up top. Set "options" to "manual settings". Set "parition type" to "physical partition". Set "file system version" to "UDF 2.50".
Click "New" at the bottom of the screen.
ftp://nero-mirror.com/software/Nero8..._eng_trial.exe

5. On the right hand side, browse to the directory you selected in Step 3. Drag & Drop the "BDMV" and "CERTIFICATE" directories to the left hand pane where the DVD is authored. Click the "Burn" icon at the top of the screen.

You should now have a working disc. Well, at least a disc that works on a PS3

Thanks for the detailed instructions! Are these instructions only if you wish to keep a huge file that does not fit on the DVD9 ? I thought that in order to reduce a size so it fits on DVD9 , you needed to convert it to avc/h.264 in ripbot264 - isn't this correct or am I missing something ?

Usually about 2 hrs captured from HD cable box results in 15GB .ts file which will obviously not fit on DVD9 and besides blank BD-R media are still expensive.

Regards,
Ninonowski
Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 AM

This is for an mpeg that does fit on either a DVD5 or DVD9.

I capture a lot of 720p stuff (PBS in Chicago), so a 2 hour show fits on a DVD9, for me.

If you need to reduce the size of the file, you can use nero recode, ripbot264 (free), or other such program. Big draw back is that the recode is slow.

If you had 2 hours of 1080i material, you would probably have to recode it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonowski View Post

Thanks for the detailed instructions! Are these instructions only if you wish to keep a huge file that does not fit on the DVD9 ? I thought that in order to reduce a size so it fits on DVD9 , you needed to convert it to avc/h.264 in ripbot264 - isn't this correct or am I missing something ?

Usually about 2 hrs captured from HD cable box results in 15GB .ts file which will obviously not fit on DVD9 and besides blank BD-R media are still expensive.

Regards,
Ninonowski

Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

excellent instructions, btw disowning some of soundtracks will reduce data size too.

Thanks. Added emphasis. I think I have seen people have trouble with 2 soundtracks, anyway.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Woo-hoo! Got it to work using a slight modification to Tom's method. Tried 4 different TS files that previously resulted in stutters w/o audio on the PS3. Now they all play perfectly. Tried DVD+RW, DVD+R SL and a DVD-R DL.

Here's my workflow, which is very similar to Tom's.
  1. Take your hi-def capture and run it through VideoRedo (VRD). MPEG2VCR also works according to MozartMan, but I find VRD better. Cut out segments you don't want. Click 'Save As...' and choose 'Transport Stream (*.ts)' for output. Before this, if you haven't done so just once before, after you open VRD, click 'Tools', then while holding down the 'Shift' key, choose 'Options'. This gives you extra setup options. Find the line 'Add GOP Timecode to all GOPs' and enable it to 'True'.
  2. Run your VRD-generated TS through Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6+ with their HD Power Pack plug-in. It costs $20, but Google "ulead coupon" and you might find a 10% off coupon as I did. Start the Ulead launcher w/o any disc in your drive. Click 'New Video Project' button, then click 'OK' to choose your drive, then choose 'Blu-ray' with 'BDMV' option and click 'OK'. Once you're in, disable menu option and don't add any chapters.
  3. Run your Ulead-generated M2TS file (in the BDMV/STREAM folder) through TSRemux v0.0.18 with the 'Blu-Ray' output option to another folder on your hard drive. Set chapter markers to however many minutes you want.
  4. Delete 0001.m2ts from the TSRemux-generated BDMV/STREAM folder and copy over 0000.m2ts from the Ulead-generated BDMV/STREAM folder. Rename 0000.m2ts to 0001.m2ts.
  5. Burn the TSRemux 'BDMV' and 'CERTIFICATE' folders to any DVD media with Nero 7 or 8. Make sure you choose 'DVD-ROM (UDF)', then under the 'UDF' tab, choose 'Manual settings' and 'Physical partition' with 'UDF 2.50'.
  6. Perfect playback w/DD 2.0 or 5.1 audio on the PS3 with chapters and smooth forward/reverse scan. No menus, but I don't need them.

Brajesh,

I did everything above, except I ran into 2 snags (highlighted above)...

My BDMV/STREAM was named "00000.m2ts", not "0000.m2ts" (5 zeroes instead of 4 zeroes like you documented). When you say "Rename 0000.m2ts to 0001.m2ts" should I rename to 0001.m2ts or 00001.m2ts?

I was going to try it both ways, but then I ran into snag #2...

My Nero 7 DVD-ROM(UDF) only has drop down choices for UDF 1.02, 1.50, 2.00, or 2.01

How do I get UDF 2.50?

Thanks,
Clarence
Old 06-06-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

How do I get UDF 2.50?

Thanks,
Clarence

You need to upgrade nero
Old 06-06-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:

You need to upgrade nero

I have no idea, but there may also be patches or newer revs of the nero 7.x stream that include UDF 2.5

I would check their support site.

Also, your post says you have DvdMF. I had no luck with it, but it also includes a UDF2.5 burn feature.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Brajesh,

I did everything above, except I ran into 2 snags (highlighted above)...

My BDMV/STREAM was named "00000.m2ts", not "0000.m2ts" (5 zeroes instead of 4 zeroes like you documented). When you say "Rename 0000.m2ts to 0001.m2ts" should I rename to 0001.m2ts or 00001.m2ts?

I was going to try it both ways, but then I ran into snag #2...

My Nero 7 DVD-ROM(UDF) only has drop down choices for UDF 1.02, 1.50, 2.00, or 2.01

How do I get UDF 2.50?

Thanks,
Clarence

use free imageburn
Old 06-06-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:

use free imageburn

Yeah, I already tried imgburn... I get this error:
"Failed to set L0 Data Zone Capacity
Reason: Invalid Field in Parameter List
"

Let me pull down the updates to Nero 7 (388Mb ) and/or the trial for Nero 8 (185Mb). I was hoping to avoid that... last time I installed a trial, it was a huge pain to go back to the purchased version (v7.0 Ultra) that I already had.

Last year I finally had the tools and workflow down pat for making HD-DVD demo discs with slick menus... now I'm trying to replicate the process/results for Blu/PS3 on DVD9.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I already tried imgburn... I get this error:
"Failed to set L0 Data Zone Capacity
Reason: Invalid Field in Parameter List
"

Let me pull down the updates to Nero 7 (388Mb ) and/or the trial for Nero 8 (185Mb). I was hoping to avoid that... last time I installed a trial, it was a huge pain to go back to the purchased version (v7.0 Ultra) that I already had.

Last year I finally had the tools and workflow down pat for making HD-DVD demo discs with slick menus... now I'm trying to replicate the process/results for Blu/PS3 on DVD9.

I use imageburn, never had any issue! hmm!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:

I use imageburn, never had any issue! hmm!

Will have to try that. Have been using the Nero trial, myself. I would hate to cough up the $80, when I only need/use the burning function. I just dont need the mediacenter, and the other stuff.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Will have to try that. Have been using the Nero trial, myself. I would hate to cough up the $80, when I only need/use the burning function. I just dont need the mediacenter, and the other stuff.

Would it kill them to create a nicer file picker?

Well, I have to admit, imgburn is working just fine. Watching a RadioHead concert I captured last week.

----new----
Have updated the test avchd image post to use imgburn. Should make the entire test of the image a 10 minute process. Just the install of Nero takes me 35 minutes.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 PM

Liked: 14
Ok I have read a lot of this thread and I am more confused that when I started.

Is there any sep by step instructions like GumboChief made but for backing up Blu Ray to hard drive? If so will these files play on a PS3?

I admit that I only read the first four and the last four ends of this thread because it is a lot of information. I don't really care about the special features or anything like that, I just want high def movies and high def audio. People are talking about a million different programs and a million different ways and it is really confusing. I know there is nothing like DVD Shrink for blu rays but anything even close to as easy.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Clarence, you can skip the Ulead DVD MF6+ step now. Just use TSMuxer only. The latest version does the trick. You can download the UDF 2.50 drivers/files; I don't recall right now, but someone posted a zipped file on AVS recently. If I find it later, I'll post a link. And, I agree w/others about ImgBurn; great, easy tool.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbat420 View Post

Is there any sep by step instructions like GumboChief made but for backing up Blu Ray to hard drive? If so will these files play on a PS3?

This thread is not really focused on the extraction of commercial BluRays. As such, I don't think there is a step by step guide for that on this (long) thread. Of course some of the methods talked about here, can be applied to what you want.

I don't have a bluray PC drive, but I think most people use this to do their bluray extractions. I am not aware of any free tools, but then again, I have never looked.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html
Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
For this, you guys should look at the doom9 forum, and secondarily the SlySoft forum. Creating 'back-ups' is a controversial subject. IMHO creating Blu-ray back-ups isn't worth the effort, but it's fairly easy to do if you're so inclined.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Old 06-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Would you like to know if a menu-less AVCHD image will work on your standalone player? Read on.

1. Download this file (AVCHD.rar), containing a properly created AVCHD image. Decompress the file. This image plays PERFECTLY on a PS3 with firmware 2.35.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/a0p609

2. Download and install ImgBurn. You may also choose to use different software (Nero or other), if it is compatible with .nrg images.
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
They don't allow direct linking, so please grab the file from one of the listed mirrors.

3. Once you launch the tool, select the icon in the top left, named "Write Image File to Disc"

4. By "Source", click the icon of the folder with a magnifying glass, and browse to the extracted AVCHD.nrg file.

5. Put a blank DVD into the device you wish to write with.

6. Make sure the DVD Recording device that you wish to write to is selected in the "Destination" drop down box.

7. Select the "File" menu up top, and choose, "Write".

8. When the writing is complete there will be a message box from ImgBurn stating it is finished. Simply click on the OK button.

9. Pop disc into your player. If your system is compatible with the process described in the next post, you are all set to author your own Blu-Ray discs, using cheap DVD-R media.

This image is a 30 second video of an MPEG-2 720p feed, digitally extracted from a cablebox. The video was not recompressed or altered in any way, other than to place it in an AVCHD container.

Reported Compatibility for Following Players:
PS3 firmware 2.35: Success
Samsung BDP-1400: Unknown (should get a report from Nikonowski this weekend)

Hi GumboChief,

I am happy to report that after burning this file to DVD-RW 4.7GB it played flawlessly in my stand alone Blu Ray player Samsung 1400 Excellent quality (however it showed resolution as 1920X1080 on my display)

Thanks for letting me try this method.It worked like a charm.

Additional question/clarification:

GumboChief, you mentioned that you captured a lot of cable shows in 720p and that about 2 hours of that stream seems to fit on the DVD9 disc. Is there a way from me to force (or change) broadcast from my cable box to be 720p instead of 1080i ? That way I would not have to re-encode to fit on DVD9 as I would simply follow you instructions (the same nes that you used when creating this clip)

Thanks once again,
Nikonowski
Old 06-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Awesome!
Your player must be scaling it up, as it is for sure 720p.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change what the cable box captures. In the USA, ABC is 720p, while CBS & NBC are 1080i. Luckily I watch zero shows on CBS or NBC.

Your best bet is to use ripbot264. As long as you go overnight, it isn't that bad. It is REALLY hard to tell the difference between the original MPEG2 and the H.264 file.

And that is on a still image which I paused

What did you think of Billy?

Quote:

Hi GumboChief,

I am happy to report that after burning this file to DVD-RW 4.7GB it played flawlessly in my stand alone Blu Ray player Samsung 1400 Excellent quality (however it showed resolution as 1920X1080 on my display)

Thanks for letting me try this method.It worked like a charm.

GumboChief, you mentioned that you captured a lot of cable shows in 720p and that about 2 hours of that stream seems to fit on the DVD9 disc. Is there a way from me to force (or change) broadcast from my cable box to be 720p instead of 1080i ? That way I would not have to re-encode to fit on DVD9 as I would simply follow you instructions (the same nes that you used when creating this clip)

Thanks once again,
Nikonowski

Old 06-07-2008, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It works perfectly in my Sony BDP-S300 with FW v3.9. I burnt it with Nero and had no issues.

Im assuming this is a BD5 standard disc?

PS. Anyone else notice the remote he is holding, looks identical to a MS Media Center Remote control.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

It works perfectly in my Sony BDP-S300 with FW v3.9. I burnt it with Nero and had no issues.

Im assuming this is a BD5 standard disc?

PS. Anyone else notice the remote he is holding, looks identical to a MS Media Center Remote control.

It is a DVD5 standard disc.
I had not noticed regarding the remote. I think the commercial is hilarious
Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Hi GumboChief,

Thanks once again,
Nikonowski

The file size is ONLY a function of average bit rate and time. Lowering the resolution is done to make the compression artifacts less noticable for low bit rate files. So the only way to make the final file size smaller is to reduce the average bit rate or reduce the play time. If your file is mpeg2 then you can usually reduce the bit rate by about half when encoding into H264. As mentioned Ripbot264 is a pretty simple GUI for doing H264 encoding.

Mike T
Old 06-08-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is a DVD5 standard disc.
I had not noticed regarding the remote. I think the commercial is hilarious

There is a BluRay Standard called BD5 (and BD9) which is BluRay on a standard single layer DVD.

Agreed, the commercial is funny.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Let's see if I recall off the top of my head (not at my machine right now)...

I take the Nero-generated MP4 file and demux it using Yamb. I also demux the original MPEG2 file and demux it using TSMuxer or TSRemux. I then use an audio encoder (like eac3to or ffmpegGUI) to convert the original MPEG audio to AC3. Finally, I mux the AC3 file and the h264 file (by Yamb) via TSMuxer to output a Blu-ray structure.

Brajesh, I don't think I understand these last instructions after Nero Recode creates mp4 file, can you provide a bit more details i.e. step by step please ?

Also, why would you to convert the original MPEG audio to AC3 and how do I do that ? Doesn't Yamb create 2 files already (audio and video streams)
Can I not just use TSMuxer to mux those 2 files that Yamb created to output to a Blu Ray structure. Once again, I am very new to this and I would really appreciate some detailed instruction as I don't even know these tools .

Thanks a lot!

Nikonowski
Old 06-09-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Awesome!
Your player must be scaling it up, as it is for sure 720p.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change what the cable box captures. In the USA, ABC is 720p, while CBS & NBC are 1080i. Luckily I watch zero shows on CBS or NBC.

Your best bet is to use ripbot264. As long as you go overnight, it isn't that bad. It is REALLY hard to tell the difference between the original MPEG2 and the H.264 file.

And that is on a still image which I paused

What did you think of Billy?

Hi there,

ripbot does not work form me ( when I load the 15GB file , there is wording that it's demuxing auio and video streams and then the program just hangs ??? Any remedies ?

Thanks,
Nikonowski
Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Hi there,

ripbot does not work form me ( when I load the 15GB file , there is wording that it's demuxing auio and video streams and then the program just hangs ??? Any remedies ?

Thanks,
Nikonowski

How long did you wait? Try it with a smaller file.
A 7 gig file can take me about 5 minutes to load up.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:

How long did you wait? Try it with a smaller file.
A 7 gig file can take me about 5 minutes to load up.

OK - my files are more like 15GB so perhaps I can wait a bit longer like 15min. What should I see once it loads up the file ? I am unable to pick Blu Ray output while the file is being loaded. Initially the CPU spikes up and them maybe 2-3 minutes after that the CPU load goes down and the program looks like it is hang. I am not really sure what I am waiting for. I want to use the ripbot as it does everything else in one step (including creating BD folders )

Thanks,
Nikonowski
Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys-

I recently got a blu-ray burner. I burnt up a BD-RE after converting a file using TSRemux to create the folders. I pop it into my PS3 and it plays. However, my ability to fast forward and review is fairly limited. For example, it will fast forward at 1.5x no problem, but at 10x it freezes stutters and so forth. Is there anything in particular to look for?

Also, I've run these files through VideoReDo and it is not showing any errors. However, if I use Ulead MF6+ w/ the HD pack to make the disc, I'm getting a lot of "error in the DVD engine" errors with the video and audio are being mixed. Any tips?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:

OK - my files are more like 15GB so perhaps I can wait a bit longer like 15min. What should I see once it loads up the file ? I am unable to pick Blu Ray output while the file is being loaded. Initially the CPU spikes up and them maybe 2-3 minutes after that the CPU load goes down and the program looks like it is hang. I am not really sure what I am waiting for. I want to use the ripbot as it does everything else in one step (including creating BD folders )

Thanks,
Nikonowski

The dialog boxes will be available.

Let me know what happens after a 15 min wait