post #121 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civuck View Post

You're in the lucky minority. No luck here with PS3 1.6 and BDMV on BD-R.

What type of media are you using?

C.

I'm using Sony BD-RE's

I have some Verbatim BD-Rs I can try out as well and let you know

DVDit Pro authored BDMV's are working as well. My friend is using DVD-it Pro and he just brought over a disc he made. Works fine!

Marc.

MDC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloyd View Post

C. - what authoring tool did you use? And what issue did you see?

Error message or other kind of failure?

I can't tell you what tool was used as we had it done out of house by another company. Essentially the disc is identified as a BD-R in the PS3 main interface but upon playback, an invalid disc error appears.

C.
post #123 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D Carra View Post

I'm using Sony BD-RE's

DVDit Pro authored BDMV's are working as well. My friend is using DVD-it Pro and he just brought over a disc he made. Works fine!

Marc.

Thanks for the update Marc. Our BDMV video was supplied to us on Verbatim BD-R also but sadly the PS3 says Invalid Disc. I'm very curious to hear how you make out with your Verbatim BD-Rs. I'm waiting to hear back as to what authoring tool was used for ours as it was done by another company.

C.
post #124 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civuck View Post

I can't tell you what tool was used as we had it done out of house by another company. Essentially the disc is identified as a BD-R in the PS3 main interface but upon playback, an invalid disc error appears.

C.

I burned a BD-RE for fun with Nero Express 7.5 and it showed up in the PS3 as a BDMV , but on playback I got and error message that it was an invalid disk. I reburned it with Nero ROM and manually picked UDF 2.5 as the filing system and voila, it plays. Check it out.

Pete

The endless pursuit of perfection..or my idea of it anyways........
post #125 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st on the Block View Post

I reburned it with Nero ROM and manually picked UDF 2.5 as the filing system and voila, it plays. Check it out.

Very interesting. UDF 2.5 is what it should be of course.

In any case I am sure that the invalid disc issues are a result of formatting in some way or another.

Great to hear that there has been some success with DVDit authored discs.
post #126 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm traveling on business & can't test this. Can somone just drop a hi-def MPG file w/5.1 on a DVD-R & see if the PS3 w/1.6 firmware plays it back w/5.1 (not downmixed 2.1). Thanks.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #127 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I'm traveling on business & can't test this. Can somone just drop a hi-def MPG file w/5.1 on a DVD-R & see if the PS3 w/1.6 firmware plays it back w/5.1 (not downmixed 2.1). Thanks.

Sorry to say, they still downmix to 2.1

I'll forgive them until the next update , since the BDMV thing is working right now.

Marc.

MDC
post #128 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

I just got here to read the new information, and it sounds like we are (finally) getting some help from Sony. I have not updated my PS3 yet, so I have not had a chance to test my "BDAV" discs to see if they are still "downsampled" in the audio department. No one here mentioned what happens with a "BDAV" authored disc with the new firmware. I am VERY interested to find this out, as I have burned several of those to BD-R's. Does anyone have anything to report on this? I have a retail box purchased version of Movie factory 5. I will go and see if it has the BDMV features included...

Lee
post #129 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:

I'm using Sony BD-RE's

Marc.

Interesting, I just tried with DVDit Pro HD and it came back with invalid disk (Memorex BD-RE). It's gonna suck if it works based on which media you use
post #130 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

plee- I really HATE to say it, but I personally wouldn't use the Memorex brand media. It is apparent that the Sony and Verbatim brands are confirmed to be the most compatible at this point. I have personally had some bad luck with the Memorex dual layer DVD-R discs, so I have avoided purchasing any Memorex brand Blu-Ray media...

Lee
post #131 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, some more interesting findings:

I noticed one 'flaw' so far. When you playback a BDMV on the PS3, you don't get a time progress bar on the info screen. You can navigate through the disc as usual, and advance through the chapters, but there's no progress bar at the bottom.

BDAV's still play back with 2.0 audio. I think it's inherrant to the format.

BDMV's are full 5.1 though

Just to give you an idea of time involved:

It takes longer to author a disc than it does to burn it. DVD Movie Factory creates all of the folders on your hard drive, which takes about 30 min for a 17 Gig movie. Then it creates the ISO which takes about 15 minutes. Burning the ISO with Nero 7 takes another 30 minutes. So it's about an hour and 15 minutes from start to finish once you have your MPEG2 HD file.

Marc.

MDC
post #132 of 2482 Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee View Post

Interesting, I just tried with DVDit Pro HD and it came back with invalid disk (Memorex BD-RE). It's gonna suck if it works based on which media you use

I will be trying TDK BD-RE tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Time to get some Sony media I guess..!
post #133 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 06:02 AM

Hi there,

is it possible to author a BDMV disk from HDV footage (1440*1080i) without recompression. It is possible with DVD Studio (HDDVD) or BDAV authoring tools, but it seems DVDit Pro only supports 1920*1080 MPEG PS without recompression. Is this a restriction of this specific program or a general limitation of BDMV.

Thanks, BDLAB
post #134 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlab View Post

Hi there,

is it possible to author a BDMV disk from HDV footage (1440*1080i) without recompression. It is possible with DVD Studio (HDDVD) or BDAV authoring tools, but it seems DVDit Pro only supports 1920*1080 MPEG PS without recompression. Is this a restriction of this specific program or a general limitation of BDMV.

Thanks, BDLAB

yes, it is. I have created BDMV from HDV with Ulead MF5 without recompression.
post #135 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 AM

Thanks,

I hope a future update of DVDit Pro will support HDV without recompression.

BDLAB
post #136 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I will be trying TDK BD-RE tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Time to get some Sony media I guess..!

Last time I looked, outside of tokyo's akihabara, the cheapest BD-RE are the sony ones, newegg have decent prices. tigerdirect carries the TDK ones for a few bucks more.
post #137 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Certainly.

At Fry's, the TDK are the best deal for BD-RE. I had to get some when my drive arrived - should have planned ahead better!
post #138 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Still no joy with the TDK BD-RE media with the PS3.

I guess once I get some other media to play with I can try this again and see how it goes. Fortunately the TDK media works just fine in my Panasonic player.

I love the BD-RE media in general - I have had no trouble with the erase/rewrite cycle at all!
post #139 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 PM

Marc (Carra),

Your posting begs the question... How is your friend being successful with DVDit Pro HD discs in PS-3? What media (brand and -R/RE) was the disc you saw written onto? Was there anything else special about that disc? Menus? First play as a title instead of as the menu?

thanks.

Scott
post #140 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Scott View Post

Marc (Carra),

Your posting begs the question... How is your friend being successful with DVDit Pro HD discs in PS-3? What media (brand and -R/RE) was the disc you saw written onto? Was there anything else special about that disc? Menus? First play as a title instead of as the menu?

thanks.

Scott

I will ask him more about it tonight. No menus on the disc he made. It jumps right to the title playback. Sony BD-RE media. He burned it with Nero 7, and said something about 'playing' with the Nero settings. It was a 5 minute test clip.

Marc.

MDC
post #141 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB99 View Post

"...

I have found that adding chapter stops CAN introduce momentary audio interruptions during playback. Since the PS3 has a 120X scan, I can live without the chapter stops. And, yesterday I ran into something that was REALLY strange. I burned some discs to BD-R's, and when checking them, I found that playback stopped just as the end credits started. I then checked the original file, and the credits WERE completely intact. I then played back the BD-R on the PC using the Cyberlink Power DVD playback software and, strangely enough, video playback paused at the SAME point, but the audio continued to play throughout the rest of the credit sequence. I had never run into this before, and have no idea why it was.

Lee

Lee, I had the same problem with the same material, when I burned it to a BDAV. I just re-authored it to BDMV, and it continues through the credits unniterrupted.

Marc.

MDC
post #142 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Funny how you know what I was burning WITHOUT me even mentioning names. We are definitely on the "same wavelength".

Since the PS3 update for BDMV support has been released, I decided to contact Cyberlink to see if they were going to release an "update" to Power Producer that will allow us to burn BDMV instead of just BDAV's. Considering the fact that they are the OEM supplier for the Sony BD drives, it would seem a natural. Here is their response:

Dear Lee,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.

We understand your concern related with PowerProducer software.

At this moment the features you have asked are not available in current version of PowerProducer software.

However, we have forwarded your concern to our development department. Our development team will review them and try to include in next built of the software.

We take your concern as a feedback and request you to keep providing your valuable feedback about our software

I don't know about you guys, but I would MUCH rather be able to simply "drop" my video into Power Producer and burn from there rather than having to use two separate software packages, as is necessary now...

-Lee
post #143 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will ask him more about it tonight. No menus on the disc he made. It jumps right to the title playback. Sony BD-RE media. He burned it with Nero 7, and said something about 'playing' with the Nero settings. It was a 5 minute test clip.

It would be useful to know what UDF settings he used. I imagine that he manually set it to UDF 2.5...?

Newegg is out of Sony BD-RE... Thanks guys!
post #144 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It would be useful to know what UDF settings he used. I imagine that he manually set it to UDF 2.5...?

Yes, you have to use UDF 2.5.
post #145 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 07:58 PM

I can confirm that Memorex BD-R and BD-RE both work in the PS3 when burned as BDMV. They are also the cheapest discs I have bought, $10 for -R and $15 for -RE. Has anyone found any other brands for less?

Bob H.
post #146 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HUNZEKER View Post

I can confirm that Memorex BD-R and BD-RE both work in the PS3 when burned as BDMV. They are also the cheapest discs I have bought, $10 for -R and $15 for -RE. Has anyone found any other brands for less?

Bob H.

What program did you use to author the BDMV discs? I have tried with DVDIt Pro HD burned to a Sony BD-RE and keep getting the "invalid disc" error message (version 1.6 update). I use a menu and chapter buttons in my project.
I also called Sony tech support and they told me that 1.6 did NOT include BD-RE Version 3 support - it was supposed to but was not included in this update.
post #147 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetweckesser View Post

What program did you use to author the BDMV discs? I have tried with DVDIt Pro HD burned to a Sony BD-RE and keep getting the "invalid disc" error message (version 1.6 update). I use a menu and chapter buttons in my project.
I also called Sony tech support and they told me that 1.6 did NOT include BD-RE Version 3 support - it was supposed to but was not included in this update.

So far I've only burned with Nero and manually set it for UDF 2.5, -r and -re both worked just fine. Next I'm going to try authoring with moviefactory 5.0 since i have the version that supports blu-ray. My first disc had the invalid disc error but when i reburned with udf set to 2.5 it worked perfectly.

Bob H.
post #148 of 2482 Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 PM

so thats all you did was use nero 7 and burn the folder with udf 2.5????? sounds awesome i just ordered my burner. i had it all set up to purchase and i read it didn't work and bam 3 days later 1.60 and its all good
post #149 of 2482 Old 03-24-2007, 03:44 AM

Are you guys just creating a folder \\BDMV and dropping your clips into there? If that's the case that's not really "authoring"...
post #150 of 2482 Old 03-24-2007, 05:42 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by plee View Post

Are you guys just creating a folder \\BDMV and dropping your clips into there? If that's the case that's not really "authoring"...

I am getting confused here - the only program currently on the market (not the old Movie Factory) in which you can truly author with titles, chapters, playlists is DVDIt Pro HD I don't believe any of the basic burning programs do that. Are some people authoring a folder (in DVDIt Pro HD) and then using Nero etc. to burn? If you only want to have the PS3 play high def files (.m2t) it has been able to do that on a data disc for quite some time (before 1.6). It has also supported BDAV and will accept discs made with Power Producer that comes with the Sony burner - but that is a very basic program - no titles, menus etc. It does allow chapters but you can't really customize the chapters.

I believe what many of us are looking for is a professional look to our blu-ray projects similar to what the mainstream DVD authoring programs have been able to do for years (e.g. Ulead DVD Workshop 2) - DVDIt Pro HD has all those features and produces BDMV discs that will play in most of the currently available players (except PS3). I feel that Sony has not fully implemented BDMV support in 1.6 update. Their BDPS1 player (with 1.55 firmware update) plays BDMV discs (BD-R and BD-RE) perfectly.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page