My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiences... - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2009, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I've hopped through much of this thread looking for discussions on BD backups using DVD+R DL but haven't found any so far. Search didn't turn up any either. is it not done? If you can point me in the right direction? I am trying to determine if i can make use of less expensive media and have my equipment upconvert it and get a good 61"picture.
Thanks,
Lar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laramie55 View Post

Hello, I've hopped through much of this thread looking for discussions on BD backups using DVD+R DL but haven't found any so far.Thanks,
Lar

This is exactly what I did using "RipBot": I created an AVCHD disc on a DVD+R DL that plays on my Samsung 2550. Looks and sounds great. Search for "RipBot264" (I think) and you should find info; then do Google searches for your specific player (Samsung Blu-Ray players generally play these discs with some minor directory mods).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks!
Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I like using MeGui which is a front end to x264.exe. I won't go into the details on how to get the content off the disk since that is of dubious legality but once you have gotten it off, x264.exe (which I think RipBot calls) can do a great job on encoding the video to H.264 format for subsequent authoring to a DVD in AVCHD format.

Another tool to look at is Handbrake which again uses x264 as its main encoding engine
Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
... then what is a good (preferably open source i.e. free) authoring program to create h.264-based DVDs that will play in BluRay players? I'm less interesting in copies of BD than saving stuff I have recorded off-air and I don't need fancy menus or titles. -thx
Old 05-30-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'll just come out and say it, I've been duped. I purchased a copy of Defiance on Bluray at a local fleemarket. It was in a real Bluray case, had good printing on the disc, and a very nice printed cover.

But when I took it out of the case, the back of the Bluray was Black, and I thought, uh oh.

So I loaded it up in the PS3, and it works perfectly, in full HD, and all of the in movie menus work, and everything is actually fine, to my disbelief, LOL, except there is no True HD, just Dolby Digitial 5.1, and that sucks, because I'm kind of an audiophile.

Needless to say, I won't be going back to this guy any more, but I am amazed at how high of a quality product he put out.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post

Well, I'll just come out and say it, I've been duped. I purchased a copy of Defiance on Bluray at a local fleemarket. It was in a real Bluray case, had good printing on the disc, and a very nice printed cover.

The fact that it wasn't even RELEASED yet should have been a dead giveaway. It's stuff like this that drives the studios towards copy protection.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
Old 06-01-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

But when I took it out of the case, the back of the Bluray was Black, and I thought, uh oh.

So I loaded it up in the PS3, and it works perfectly, in full HD, and all of the in movie menus work, and everything is actually fine, to my disbelief, LOL, except there is no True HD, just Dolby Digitial 5.1, and that sucks, because I'm kind of an audiophile.

Needless to say, I won't be going back to this guy any more, but I am amazed at how high of a quality product he put out.

Sounds like an AVCHD copy which can contain HD video but only DD 5.1 at best. They also have to lower the bitrate of video in order to fit a BD movie on to a DVD-R disc.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf75 View Post

... then what is a good (preferably open source i.e. free) authoring program to create h.264-based DVDs that will play in BluRay players? I'm less interesting in copies of BD than saving stuff I have recorded off-air and I don't need fancy menus or titles. -thx

Either TxMuxer or MultiAVCHD (both are freeware) can be used to author AVCHD compatible disc and use ImgBurn (also freeware) to burn the disc with required UDF 2.5 format.

You will have to compress your source into AVCHD compatible video format first. A lot of BD players are very strict about conforming to AVCHD standard before they will play the disc. See www.AVCHD-Info.org for details.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Sounds like an AVCHD copy which can contain HD video but only DD 5.1 at best. They also have to lower the bitrate of video in order to fit a BD movie on to a DVD-R disc.

I don't know, the bit rate was pretty high as confirmed by my PS3, and the disc is for sure a Bluray disc, as I've handled BD-Rs before, and they have a different feel than a DVD-R.

I'm sure hes using those 25GB BD-R with the blank white face, that he inkjets the label onto.

I mean, I want to be mad at the guy, but heck, the quality of the video is perfect, and all of the bonus features are all in HD too. If it wasn't for the DD 5.1 instead of True HD, it'd be a perfect copy.

That being said, its still an illiegal copy, which is not cool, and I can assure you, no matter how nice of a copy it is, I won't be buying from this guy again. But I though Blurays were not copyable. I thought they all had BD+ and other stuff on them that made burning a bluray disc impossible. But apparently, at least Defiance, doesn't have any of that stuff on the disc.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Who says AVCHD can hold only DD5.1 at best? If it was on a BD-R 25Gb, they probably just left it out to save space for video.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

...its still an illiegal copy, which is not cool, and I can assure you, no matter how nice of a copy it is, I won't be buying from this guy again.

That's it? You're not reporting this crook to the police? He's a thief, plain and simple.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiv3 View Post

Who says AVCHD can hold only DD5.1 at best? If it was on a BD-R 25Gb, they probably just left it out to save space for video.

When you burn it to BD-R, it is no longer called AVCHD format. It is BDMV format.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't know, the bit rate was pretty high as confirmed by my PS3, and the disc is for sure a Bluray disc, as I've handled BD-Rs before, and they have a different feel than a DVD-R.

AVCHD on DVD can have max video bitrate of 18mbps.

Quote:

I'm sure hes using those 25GB BD-R with the blank white face, that he inkjets the label onto.

Consider the cost of a blank BD-R, you probably got a heck of deal. But, like you said, I will not spend my $$ on such shady deal.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

That's it? You're not reporting this crook to the police? He's a thief, plain and simple.

From a flea market? Its a monthly market, he might not even be back next month, and I don't even know the dudes name.

Thats pretty tough to report, but I do go to this market a few times a year, and next time I know if I do see him again, to walk by and just look the other way.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AVCHD on DVD can have max video bitrate of 18mbps.

Consider the cost of a blank BD-R, you probably got a heck of deal. But, like you said, I will not spend my $$ on such shady deal.

The highest bitrate I saw on the PS3 was 25mbps. $12 bucks for a good copy of a Bluray movie on a BD-R does seem like a decent deal. Until I realize all I have to do is wait a couple of months, and I can pick up a real copy at Blockbuster for the 2 for $25 deal they are having on all pre-viewed Blurays.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do go to this market a few times a year, and next time I know if I do see him again, to walk by and just look the other way.

Guess you must enjoy being duped! Sheesh.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:

When you burn it to BD-R, it is no longer called AVCHD format. It is BDMV format.

No, it is not. But anyway, what does it have to do with what you said. Both support hd audio.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, it is not.

Read it here http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html
Old 06-02-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:

No, it is not. But anyway, what does it have to do with what you said. Both support hd audio.

I agree. AVCHD format on Blu-ray Disc is not the same as BDMV.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post

I agree. AVCHD format on Blu-ray Disc is not the same as BDMV.

I thought straight ABCHD on a BD was a BDAV?

IIRC BDAV has no menus etc, and just has a film.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
AVCHD, HDMV, and BDAV all use different files. AVCHD is generally intended for DVD writable media, while HDMV and BDAV are intended for BD-R or BD-RE. I think TotalMedia Extreme and MovieFactory are both examples of software that can create any of those three types (they might label HDMV as Blu-ray).
Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

AVCHD is a standard created by Sony and Panasonic. It is targeted for HD camcorders for storing HD videos on DVD media or flash media. The standard has a lot of restrictions. Some players like Panasonic's will only play discs that are strictly authored according to spec.

Now don't mistake that with video clips encoded with AVC or H.264 and burned to BD-R/BD-RE discs. The only standard you can reference to is BD spec. There is no support of BD-R/RE in AVCHD spec. So, a player supporting AVCHD may or maynot play discs with those video clips on it in AVCHD folder structure.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:49 PM

Can I burn content on a Blue-ray blank DVD on my regular PC DVD burner? I'm sorry, this has to have been covered here before but I couldn't find anything.

Some folks just choose alternate realities, and there's nothing that can be put into words here that will co·ax them out of that.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 PM

no.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docism View Post

Can I burn content on a Blue-ray blank DVD on my regular PC DVD burner? I'm sorry, this has to have been covered here before but I couldn't find anything.

What's a "Blue-ray blank DVD"? There are DVDs and there are BDs. You need a BD burner to burn a BD (25/50Gb).

You can burn Blu-ray *content* onto a DVD-5 or DVD DL with a DVD burner, and have it play-back as a Blu-ray program on your BD set-top player.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 85
So Managed Copy may finally be coming next year.

You may have to pay for it but copying to BD-R is expected to be allowed, at least in some cases.

Will that increase sales of burners and media and bring down prices, particularly of media?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

AVCHD on DVD can have max video bitrate of 18mbps..

The RED BOOK standard for DVD is 16Mb/s max.
If you burn >16Mb/s AVCHD on DVDR, you blu-ray player will most likely not play it propery - expect stutter, or complete lock-up.

AVCHD is already up to 25Mb/s on many new camcorders.
Panasonic will also soon release a much higher AVCHD spec - 35MB/s is expected.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Searching and reading through this good thread, but did not find what I was looking for.

Is there a way to take BD and dumbed it down to play on my kids portable DVD player of any decent quality and obviously 5.1 is not a factor really?

I have Nero9 at the moment and have not tried this yet since I just got my upgrade this week and was going to try and play with it this weekend. I know it has a BD authoring plug-in I got, but I don't have a BD burner at the moment, but will at some point since I just also bought a Canon HF11 and will start putting family video on AVCHD media.

Any links people can point me to in AVS or else where?

Old 06-19-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbum88 View Post

Searching and reading through this good thread, but did not find what I was looking for.

Is there a way to take BD and dumbed it down to play on my kids portable DVD player of any decent quality and obviously 5.1 is not a factor really?

Strictly speaking if your BD is a commercial title, there is no way to do this since you have to crack the BD encryption on the disc which can also include the Java encryption.

But if the legality (and technical effort) of this doesn't bother you then check out this link

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137151

Note that is not for the faint hearted and of course you do need a BD drive for your computer.

For children movies anyway, manufacturers should take Disney's lead and include free or at a minimal cost (like a mailin coupon) a DVD copy of the movie.