Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2482 Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetweckesser View Post

BDAV playback works perfectly on both the 1.54 firmware update and the 1.60 firmware update (PS3). No success in authoring in DVDIt Pro HD with BDMV structure and having it play in PS3.

I have a Japanese PS3 updated to 1.6. 1080i transport streams (with MPEG audio) and HDV streams work, BD-RE with BDAV works, but BDMV fails. If BDMV disks (BD-RE) are inserted the PS3 starts the BD player application, switches HDMI output from RGB to YCrCb and then stops with error 80029906. So same problem here.

Is this a bug or SONY politics ?

BDLAB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2482 Old 03-26-2007, 07:43 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloyd View Post

In my most recent test I took the 00000.m2ts from a BDMV disc that did not play. I recorded said file onto a BDRE (Sony) as the only content.

Load that into the PS3 and the file shows up under video and is playable.

This is the best I have achieved so far. Though it is far from optimal.

I hope that there will be another update soon that makes this work for everyone.

I just did the same thing and then saw your post - interesting point though - the files are not recognized on PS3 1.54 update (I have one machine that I have not updated for testing purposes) - so something was done in v. 1.6 but it won't allow BDMV files from DVDIt Pro HD to play. I also did two other tests - produced a BDMV project with no menus and burned thru Pro HD - did not play in either 1.54 or 1.6 - then took the same file and burned with Nero 7 - UDF 2.5 - same result - no play.

The problem is though it will be hit and miss whether they "fix" this in the future as they think they already have implemented a fix and there is no way to let a company this large know there is a problem. I found that out when I tried to contact a sympathetic ear at SCEA HQ - just referred me back to customer support - and they know nothing more than we could look up on the troubleshooting database and they have no one to report any problems to.

Well - I have had it with this issue and will move on. I am really afraid to start putting my projects on Blu-ray with the currently available software for the fact that the Blu-Ray Disc Assoc. may decide in the future about different standards and a lot of us will have wasted our time with non-playable discs 3-4 years down the line.
post #183 of 2482 Old 03-26-2007, 10:48 PM

1.6 plays BDMV's the problems right now are in the authoring apps, take a look on doom9 there are a lot of problems with blu-ray and HD-DVD authoring. If you want to check your PS3 then just (for the sake of testing and of course you'll erase the bd-re afterwards) rip one of your discs to the harddrive, burn the BDMV folder with nero 7 as UDF 2.5 onto a BD-RE and I am almost 100% sure it will work in every PS3 with 1.6. I can't believe there are different 1.6's. If this works for you then you can feel a little better about your PS3 I've tried 3 different PS3's and they all played the disc perfectly.

skylab, check the manual settings in videoredo for "add GOP timecode to all GOP's" make sure its set to True. This fixed a lot of peoples problems in the HD-DVD authoring forum. Worth a try

Bob H.
post #184 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Sometimes the GOP length in TS files (like those from ShowtimeHD) are too long. VRD is able to do conversions though to shorten the GOPs.

The idea of ripping a BD and reburning it is quite a good one - I will try that as my last test for this the PS3. I have had no issues with the Panasonic playing these authored discs... but the PS3 has not played a single one yet
post #185 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 01:30 AM

I have tried a ripped discs but its NOT working with PS3 1.6...
post #186 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Houston, we have a problem....

So far I've authored many of my HD recordings to BDMV which have been playing back on the PS3. I haven't watched the entire disc, just certain scenes. Last night I sat down to watch a couple discs from start to finish, and to my horror, I noticed a very strange occurance, in all of my BDAV authored discs:

Whenever there is a bright white flash in a scene (like the stormtrooper/rebel forces battle at the beginning of Star Wars Ep 4, or the photographers taking pictures at the openning night at the end of King Kong) the image freezes for a split second!! The sound is uninterrupted, but the image freezes. I've authored the same recordings to HD-DVD (DVDR9's) and this doesn't occur. Just on my blu-ray BDMV authored discs. I checked my original BDAV authoring of SW and KK, and the problem isn't there. What the heck is causing it?????

Marc.

MDC
post #187 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D Carra View Post

...What the heck is causing it?????

Marc.

I think Sony screwed up with 1.60 firmware.
post #188 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Just a heads up, if you don't hate Adobe, Encore CS3 will create BluRay discs when it ships. Assumeably BDMV since it has all of the menu stuff and they market it as creating BluRay, Dvd and Web from one file/setup.

Maybe these will work better on the PS3.
post #189 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really starting to lose faith in BD authoring. I thought I had it nailed , but this flashing/pause issue is really disheartenning. For now, I think I'm gonna go back to HD-DVD authoring. Does anyone need a bunch of Sony BD-RE's at a cheap price???

Marc.

MDC
post #190 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone need a bunch of Sony BD-RE's at a cheap price???

Marc.

Me.
post #191 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, all this stuff works flawlessly on the Panasonic - it is just the PS3 that is having issues (of course I can't speak for the Pioneers).

One might assume that once Sony gets the PS3 sorted out (1.7, 1.8? ) your problems will not exist.

As far as I know the authoring cannot cause this unless there was a re-encode in the process. If the MPEG stream is ok, it is some kind of decoder issue in the PS3.

Oh yeah, could use some cheap BDREs too
post #192 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post

Me.

Mozartman, I need your help, I PMed you.

MarcD, I will help take some of those BD-RE off your hands

You have paypal?
post #193 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:

So far I've authored many of my HD recordings to BDMV which have been playing back on the PS3. I haven't watched the entire disc, just certain scenes. Last night I sat down to watch a couple discs from start to finish, and to my horror, I noticed a very strange occurance, in all of my BDAV authored discs:

Whenever there is a bright white flash in a scene (like the stormtrooper/rebel forces battle at the beginning of Star Wars Ep 4, or the photographers taking pictures at the openning night at the end of King Kong) the image freezes for a split second!! The sound is uninterrupted, but the image freezes. I've authored the same recordings to HD-DVD (DVDR9's) and this doesn't occur. Just on my blu-ray BDMV authored discs. I checked my original BDAV authoring of SW and KK, and the problem isn't there. What the heck is causing it?????

Marc.

Marc,

Many of us can't even get \\BDMV's created by DVDit Pro HD to work with the PS3. I'm assuming the firmware is not working 100% so I wouldn't totally blame the authoring software.

- Paul
post #194 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee View Post

Marc,

Many of us can't even get \\BDMV's created by DVDit Pro HD to work with the PS3. I'm assuming the firmware is not working 100% so I wouldn't totally blame the authoring software.

- Paul

If you look back at the previous posts I believe he is using the old Ulead Movie Factory 5 when it had BDMV available. I have not seen a single post (except one and that was second hand) where a BDMV project made in DVDit Pro HD has played on PS3
post #195 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you look back at the previous posts I believe he is using the old Ulead Movie Factory 5 when it had BDMV available. I have not seen a single post (except one and that was second hand) where a BDMV project made in DVDit Pro HD has played on PS3

Yes, you are correct!

Marc.

MDC
post #196 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Scott View Post

there were reasons that the BDMV version of MF5 was pulled a week after it was released. It preceded the release of the spec for burning BDMV to BD-R/RE by several months, so it never could have been legal as far as the BDA was concerned. A licensing issue is rumored for the pull, but I checked out the streams it was creating and I found that they were not BD legal, so that may have had something to do with it as well. It may also have something to do with the playback issues you are seeing.

BD-R/RE discs created with DVDit Pro HD are now playing in Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony BD players and the Samsung with the original firmware. Generally I only see success with ISO's burned to DVD-R in the Panasonic. FYI - the bit rate max is related to the continuous read rate of DVD-R/+R. That read rate is 3x which should make the max bit rate on such a disc about 24mbs...whereas on BD-R/RE the software allows you to output streams at up to 40mbs.

Marc

Do you think the above issues have to do with your playback problems with freezing?
post #197 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Marc

Do you think the above issues have to do with your playback problems with freezing?

I have no idea what's causing it. I've officially put Blu-Ray authoring on the back-burner (no pun intended!) for now and have gone back to HD-DVD authoring until things get straightened out.

Marc.

MDC
post #198 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Anthony70,

PS3 plays m2t files perfectly from Memory Stick, external USB hard drive, DVD+R/RW data disks, BD-R/RE data disks.

Just burn your m2t to data disk into VIDEO folder.

Has this ALWAYS worked? Or are these features that just started working with the 1.6 firmware? Additionally, I want to know:

1) Does the audio output when using "Any" of these methods get downsampled as before?

2) Must the information stored on a USB external hard drive be in a "VIDEO" folder to work?

3) Can you simply re-name an HD mpeg with a .m2t extension, or is there some simple conversion that can be done? ...Without the need to author a BDAV or BDMV disc from an mpeg PS to put the file on the drive or disc.

4) If you are able to play a "ripped" BD movie stream using this method, does the PS3 interface allow you to switch audio streams "on the fly", or are you stuck with the default output stream? I would assume that if you are using a "ripped" stream, then multiple audio streams should be embedded in the file. It would be nice if you can select which one you want to output from the interface.

It would SEEM to me that if you can stream HD material WITH 5.1 audio output from an external USB drive, that this would be an ideal "video jukebox". Please confirm/clarify the results and methods. thanks...

Lee
post #199 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB99 View Post

Has this ALWAYS worked? Or are these features that just started working with the 1.6 firmware?

Additionally, I want to know:

1) Does the audio output when using "Any" of these methods get downsampled as before?

2) Must the information stored on a USB external hard drive be in a "VIDEO" folder to work?

3) Can you simply re-name an HD mpeg with a .m2t extension, or is there some simple conversion that can be done? ...Without the need to author a BDAV or BDMV disc from an mpeg PS to put the file on the drive or disc.

4) If you are able to play a "ripped" BD movie stream using this method, does the PS3 interface allow you to switch audio streams "on the fly", or are you stuck with the default output stream? I would assume that if you are using a "ripped" stream, then multiple audio streams should be embedded in the file. It would be nice if you can select which one you want to output from the interface.

It would SEEM to me that if you can stream HD material WITH 5.1 audio output from an external USB drive, that this would be an ideal "video jukebox". Please confirm/clarify the results and methods. thanks...

Lee

Lee,

HDV (.m2t) format was developed by Sony. PS3 made by Sony. PS3 natively supports playback of HDV .m2t files.

1) HDV .m2t file has MPEG layer 2 audio track in 2.0 stereo, so there is no downsample going on.

2) If you put files into "VIDEO" folder PS3 will autamatically detect them. You can also put files in the root or any subfolder, but then you will have to press Options (green triangle) button and select Display All.

3) I think renaming .m2t extension will not work (.m2t files are 1440x1080i) and there is no need for conversion. PS3 natively supports playback of HDV .m2t files. There is no need to author BDAV or BDMV. Just burn files to DVD+R/RW or BD-RE/R data disks in VIDEO subfolder.

4) I didn't test this yet.

Yes, PS3 will be great media center ("video jukebox") if Sony fixes all problems and allows playback of .TS files with DD 5.1 audio.

Regards.
post #200 of 2482 Old 03-27-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I am currently updating my PS3 to 1.6, and I am going to hook up a USB hard drive with various HD material on it for testing...

Lee
post #201 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:

PS3 natively supports playback of HDV .m2t files. There is no need to author BDAV or BDMV.

PS3 only supports FAT32. So what are you doing if your file is bigger than 4GB... ?

So there is a need of authoring to BDMV...
post #202 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 04:27 AM

i got a question guys i finally got my sony bwu-100a even upgraded to the latest f/w ive tried 3 apps now nero 7.8.5.0,imgburn and power2go and everytime i try and write something i get errors the only one that i can make sense outta is nero saying failed to start disc at once if anyone has any ideas plz msg cause im getting really upset hoping this was goona be a nice thing to grab and i can't figure the **** out. using a sony BD-RE btw if anyone knows anything to help thanx
post #203 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_ View Post

PS3 only supports FAT32. So what are you doing if your file is bigger than 4GB... ?

I burn it to BD-RE with UDF 2.5, then play it from there, or copy to PS3's internal hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_ View Post

So there is a need of authoring to BDMV...

I agree. I would love to author BDVM, but I am not ready to pay $500 for DVDit Pro HD yet.
post #204 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 05:56 AM

Anyone have experiance with Cyberlinks Power Producer 4? I had success with Power Producer 3 with importing and playing on my BWU-100A and my PS3, but I wasn't happy with the HD quality. So I upgraded to Power Producer 4. I'm looking to get crystal clear quality with my HD home videos.

Mozart, You using Power Producer 3 or 4. You mentioned to me, dont waste your time with this software. All worked for me, just the quality wasnt HD.

How are you able to pull m2t files from your HD tapes? Then you burn these files onto Blu-Ray from your video folder?

thanks
Anthony
post #205 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony70 View Post

Anyone have experiance with Cyberlinks Power Producer 4? I had success with Power Producer 3 with importing and playing on my BWU-100A and my PS3, but I wasn't happy with the HD quality. So I upgraded to Power Producer 4. I'm looking to get crystal clear quality with my HD home videos.

Mozart, You using Power Producer 3 or 4. You mentioned to me, dont waste your time with this software. All worked for me, just the quality wasnt HD.

How are you able to pull m2t files from your HD tapes? Then you burn these files onto Blu-Ray from your video folder?

thanks
Anthony

I have used it to produce BDAV that will play in PS3 - btw- there is a patch to 4.0 that helps playback in PS3. I have found the video quality fine (as previewed on a 73", 1080p TV so any defects would be apparent). I don't believe power producer accepts .m2t but will accept program stream files soit is necessary to transcode. If all you want to do is watch your HD home videos just take your edited .m2t files and drop them on a blu-ray as a data disc and the PS3 will play them perfectly.
post #206 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I burn it to BD-RE with UDF 2.5, then play it from there, or copy to PS3's internal hard drive.

So, this process still works with PS3 firmware v1.6? Seems like v1.6 was a step back. Instead of fixing the 5.1 issue, they crippled hi-def MPG playback. I haven't updated yet as I'm seeing mixed responses on whether MPGs on a DVD-R still playback fine or not.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #207 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

So, this process still works with PS3 firmware v1.6? Seems like v1.6 was a step back. Instead of fixing the 5.1 issue, they crippled hi-def MPG playback.

You got it right.
post #208 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If all you want to do is watch your HD home videos just take your edited .m2t files and drop them on a blu-ray as a data disc and the PS3 will play them perfectly.

That's the best solution.
But there is an issue with time progress bar and navigation controls after playback reaches the point in time ~18-20 min that equals the file size of 4GB.
Video will play all the way through, but time progress bar will stop at ~18-20 min mark, and if you hit any navigation control after that, video will jump back to that point.
I tested this with firmware prior to 1.60, and I am sure it will be the same with 1.60.

Quote:

I don't believe power producer accepts .m2t but will accept program stream files so it is necessary to transcode.

You are right. PowerProducer will not import .m2t file with extension .m2t. But I renamed .m2t to .mpg and PowerProducer loaded the file. And I was able to author BDAV.
The bad thin with PowerProducer it does something to the audio because HDV .m2t files recorded in HDV cameras at 384 Kbits/s. After playing BDAV disk in PowerDVD and PS3 information shows that audio is 256 Kbits/s.
post #209 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

The more I fiddle with this stuff, the more it seems to me that BDAV is really the best option as of right now, if you don't mind the down-sampling of the audio. Personally, on my home theater setup, the audio still sounds good. The video is as you would expect.

Once some proven BDMV tools are available, this can all change. But I have tried a LOT of the things that people have proposed on here, and the ONLY thing that I have consisent luck with is using power producer to make a BDAV. An external hard drive attached to the PS3 can not be NTFS, so that pretty much would force you to break up your large video files into 4GB chunks -not appealing to me at all...

Lee
post #210 of 2482 Old 03-28-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, test results from today are in:

Someone suggested the a professionally authored BD could be ripped, burned and played on the PS3.

So I took one of my BD movies and did the extraction, recreated the folder structure and burned the resulting files to BDRE twice, once with Sony media and once with TDK media.

The result: my fair use backup ( ) plays on the PS3 just like the original disc. This is true of both media brands so it would seem that the media brand compatibility question is answered - there is no difference.

My second test was to replace the 00001.m2ts file on a BDAV with a different file and see if that worked (looking for a workaround to the audio limitations). This failed. It might have worked if the files were more similar...

My thoughts based on these experiments:

BDMV support does exist but is either flawed or the Sonic DVDit HD Pro images are flawed. I have some ideas to follow regarding this.

It still fascinates me that Marc saw some success with BDMV from DVDit and nobody else seems to have had the same successes.

In any case, it seems that we are partially there - we just have to either determine what the limitations are with the PS3 playback and work around those or likewise for DVDit Pro HD.

As always, will keep you informed of my progress.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page