Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 2482 Old 07-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I think I steered you wrong w/ClownBD--it may only be a "remuxer" without "shrink to fit on DVD media" capabilities. For what you want to attempt, the best place for you to start is with BD Rebuilder (looky here for that).

Another one you may hear about, but which I don't trust myself with conversions to DVD media, is RipBot264. I do things "by hand" myself...

Sorry if I sent you on a wild-goose chase w/ClownBD...

Thanks for the correction. Actually, I haven't had the time to do any 'work' or research beyond bookmarking, perusing and asking annoying questions . BDRebuilder is already on my radar. As soon as I have time, I'll put it toward researching the process. But, additional questions that occur:

My impression is that BDRebuilder will need 'helper' software, such as is listed in the guide I linked to earlier (milOtis), which includes, amongst others, AVCHD, ffdshow, etc.

From your reaction to the guide, your opinion of it seemed to be 'overkill'. Are the softwares listed [i]not[i] required? Also, I see no reference to the h264 encoder in any of them, so I assume that it's part of one of them, such as BDRebuilder. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks again for your input,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2482 Old 07-03-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob14567 View Post

My impression is that BDRebuilder will need 'helper' software

Yes--just read the first post of the BD-RB link I gave and all is told there. You need Avisynth, ffdshow, and Matroska Splitter iirc and the author of BD-RB even gives you links to them in that post.

Quote:
From your reaction to the guide, your opinion of it seemed to be 'overkill'.

Just my opinion. I suppose if you're good at following an extremely detailed step-by-step it might be OK; I don't like it cuz if you miss one step then suddenly you're completely lost (without knowing where you are or how you got there!).

But it's time to stop "researching" and start "doing". Yeah I know: if this were easy, everybody would be doing it.
post #2163 of 2482 Old 07-03-2010, 12:57 PM

I just discovered a way to strip the unrated version of Hot Tub Time Machine from the rental Blu-ray.

Use AnyDVD HD to rip the files to hard drive. Then open the ripped files with Clown BD. When you get to the eac3to portion, you'll be presented with six playlists, the first two of which are 1:40:37 and 1:38:56. Choose 1:40:37. The resulting movie-only ripped files, with just the English soundtrack and English subtitles, are 27.2 GB.

This may be more trouble than it's worth, but just so you know, the unrated version IS on there. I think it's just blocked so the average person can't play it with their standalone player. It'd be interesting to see if there's any kind of workaround.

Just make sure you destroy the copy before you return the movie, so you don't copyright infringe. I wrote it to a BD-RE DL, watched it on a standalone Panasonic DMP-BD60, and wrote back over it before returning it.
post #2164 of 2482 Old 07-03-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

But it's time to stop "researching" and start "doing".

Yes, that is where I'm at. Thanks for your time.

Bob
post #2165 of 2482 Old 07-03-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Just an FYI: Newegg has the 10 pack of Optical Quantum BD-R for $9.99 plus $1.99 shipping. I've used quite a few of these and never had a problem. ID as Philips.

@ Bob14567, burners are now available for around $139 (LG). No sense in buying a reader only when the prices are so reasonable for a burner.
post #2166 of 2482 Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post

I just discovered a way to strip the unrated version of Hot Tub Time Machine from the rental Blu-ray.

Use AnyDVD HD to rip the files to hard drive. Then open the ripped files with Clown BD. When you get to the eac3to portion, you'll be presented with six playlists, the first two of which are 1:40:37 and 1:38:56. Choose 1:40:37. The resulting movie-only ripped files, with just the English soundtrack and English subtitles, are 27.2 GB.

This may be more trouble than it's worth, but just so you know, the unrated version IS on there. I think it's just blocked so the average person can't play it with their standalone player. It'd be interesting to see if there's any kind of workaround.

Just make sure you destroy the copy before you return the movie, so you don't copyright infringe. I wrote it to a BD-RE DL, watched it on a standalone Panasonic DMP-BD60, and wrote back over it before returning it.

Or just use ToNMT and rip that version to your HD and use ImgBURN to burn it to disc.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #2167 of 2482 Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Just an FYI: Newegg has the 10 pack of Optical Quantum BD-R for $9.99 plus $1.99 shipping. I've used quite a few of these and never had a problem. ID as Philips.

@ Bob14567, burners are now available for around $139 (LG). No sense in buying a reader only when the prices are so reasonable for a burner.

Agreed. Although I'll likely make backups to DVD (since the quality is retained), but the BluRay burner will be useful for data backups even if I don't use it for movie b/u's. Since I don't need it right away, I'm waiting for the right price for the right drive to appear. I'm considering the Pioneer BDR-205BKS.

Thanks,
Bob
post #2168 of 2482 Old 07-06-2010, 03:55 PM

hey guys! im new here and i just have one question... i followed the bluray backup guide and i used the full backup 1:1 of a bluray movie which has worked fine on my ps3 (i use BD-RE 50GB discs). it came up with menus and everything.. then i played the movie for about an hour and it stopped working... it said some like "This is an invalid disc".. it does it at the same spot of the film everytime... any suggestions? thanks in advance!! great forum btw
post #2169 of 2482 Old 07-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroes89 View Post

.... (i use BD-RE 50GB discs). ... then i played the movie for about an hour and it stopped working... it said some like "This is an invalid disc".. it does it at the same spot of the film everytime... any suggestions?

This is probably layer break and your player cannot switch to the second layer. What did you use to burn the disk?
post #2170 of 2482 Old 07-06-2010, 04:50 PM

I used a pioneer bluray burner with imgburn software! I patched the "index.bdmv" file from the "BDMV" folder using AVCHD-patcher ver. 1.04.
post #2171 of 2482 Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 AM

sorry if this counts as spam but does anyone know how to fix the writing to the second layer of my bluray disc problem?? i could just use BD rebuilder to 25GB but iv got 50GB now and i wanna use all of it... thanks again
post #2172 of 2482 Old 07-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You should not need to "patch" anything if you are doing a 1-1 copy on a BD disk, try doing an exact copy without any patching.

Mike T
post #2173 of 2482 Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 AM

well i dont think i can get rid of the patch but i put it through bd rebuilder (25GB) and set it to auto burn with imgburn and now its working fine on my ps3 slim with the latest update! my only concern now is that i have 50GB bluray disc but im only using 25 of it...
post #2174 of 2482 Old 07-19-2010, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I want to rip my bluray and compress possibly, or use movie only with menus, BD 25 or BD 50, and burn on BD 25 preferably.

I have a BD ROM pioneer already installed to my desk top, but would like to replace it with BD BURNER.

Choice is between pioneer or LG?....advise which one I can buy cheaper and would still work perfect( pros and Cons).

What brand BDR, 25GB I can use to burn my BD 25, so it is playable on ps3 slim, and standalone BLURAY player?

What software I can use to rip and make BD25 Iso keeping the menus ready to burn with image burn.

Which version of image burn is perfect for BD burning?

Thanks
post #2175 of 2482 Old 07-23-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I want to rip my bluray and compress possibly, or use movie only with menus, BD 25 or BD 50, and burn on BD 25 preferably.

I have a BD ROM pioneer already installed to my desk top, but would like to replace it with BD BURNER.

Choice is between pioneer or LG?....advise which one I can buy cheaper and would still work perfect( pros and Cons).

I personally prefer the Pioneer BDR-205. Pioneer seems to release more firmware updates and support their existing burners for longer, while LG seems to release one or two (if any) firmware updates, then crank out a new burner. The LG WH10 is cheaper though, and has similar features.

Quote:

What brand BDR, 25GB I can use to burn my BD 25, so it is playable on ps3 slim, and standalone BLURAY player?

Verbatim BD-R is probably the cheapest one that'll work adequately. Most discs that are cheaper than that are manufactured by Ritek. If you go to myce.com and go to their forums, you'll see that a lot of people that have burned Ritek BD's have had their data deteriorate within a year!

Quote:

What software I can use to rip and make BD25 Iso keeping the menus ready to burn with image burn.

For ripping, AnyDVD HD is the most updated but is not cheap. And most Blu-rays are originally bigger than 25 GB. For the few that are smaller, you can use AnyDVD HD to create an ISO, then burn with ImgBurn. For the ones that are bigger, you can (sometimes) strip out just the main movie and use (free) Clown BD and get it under 25 GB. If you can't get the whole movie under 25 GB, or you want the whole disc with menus and extras, (free) BD Rebuilder can shrink it down to 25 GB, but it can take hours. As a matter of fact, it takes roughly 7 hours on my Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.00 GHz.

Quote:

Which version of image burn is perfect for BD burning?

Thanks

The latest one.
post #2176 of 2482 Old 07-23-2010, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I personally prefer the Pioneer BDR-205. Pioneer seems to release more firmware updates and support their existing burners for longer, while LG seems to release one or two (if any) firmware updates, then crank out a new burner. The LG WH10 is cheaper though, and has similar features.

Verbatim BD-R is probably the cheapest one that'll work adequately. Most discs that are cheaper than that are manufactured by Ritek. If you go to myce.com and go to their forums, you'll see that a lot of people that have burned Ritek BD's have had their data deteriorate within a year!

For ripping, AnyDVD HD is the most updated but is not cheap. And most Blu-rays are originally bigger than 25 GB. For the few that are smaller, you can use AnyDVD HD to create an ISO, then burn with ImgBurn. For the ones that are bigger, you can (sometimes) strip out just the main movie and use (free) Clown BD and get it under 25 GB. If you can't get the whole movie under 25 GB, or you want the whole disc with menus and extras, (free) BD Rebuilder can shrink it down to 25 GB, but it can take hours. As a matter of fact, it takes roughly 7 hours on my Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.00 GHz.

The latest one.

Many thanks.

Any idea, cheapest verbatim bdr 25' around 10-15 package or so. Preferably under $2 will be preferable.

I have both pioneer and lg on order. Unfortunately might have to return or sell lg.

Price diff was about $70-80 bucks though
post #2177 of 2482 Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I like the Pioneer 205 too, but for whatever reason it will not play newer DVD titles. If I put in the DVD I received with the Toy Story Blu-ray combo pack, it will sit in the drive and try to load. It won't even recognize the disc. Its weird. Not sure if anything is wrong with my drive, but it plays Blu-rays without a hitch and also reads/writes them well. Sometimes I get what seems to be unburned rings, but the disc will playback fine.
post #2178 of 2482 Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Any idea, cheapest verbatim bdr 25' around 10-15 package or so. Preferably under $2 will be preferable.

Not quite $2/disc, but newegg has a 10 pack for $22 shipped, after applying the promo code VER3OFF at checkout:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-047-_-Product
post #2179 of 2482 Old 07-24-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I have a movie that is region B;

I need to remove the region B so I can play in on my standalone player. I have tried ripping it to hdd successfully removing the region and can now play it from the hdd on my computer.

However when I try to burn it back to disc with either Nero or imgburn on a Verbatium 50gb disc I get "could not perform start of Disc-at-once" error at the beginning and the blank become unusable.

I also tried disc to disc with the same result, I know the burner works because I have used 25gb discs in the past and they work just fine.

The Verbatim discs I purchased locally (only ones I could find at three different stores) are 6X speed. I did notice that both Nero and imgburn are trying to burn back at 2x speed which might be the problem.

Anyone know if higher speed discs are backwards compatible with slower burners?
post #2180 of 2482 Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
FWIW I was somewhat astonished today to learn that I could mux & ImgBurn a 1920x1080 program (with 640Kbps AC3 and Subtitle track) to CD-R and it plays back perfectly as a Blu-ray disc using Arcsoft TMT. Amazing--I didn't even down-grade the bitrate from the original (a 2 1/2 minute promo from a BD disc) which peaked sometimes at 25Mbs.

They didn't play on my set-top BD player (read them as DATA discs), but who knows, maybe other players will like them.

Not sure yet how often I'll want to burn 5mins of HD to a CD-R, but there you have it, My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiece for July 2010.
post #2181 of 2482 Old 07-30-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

$1.50 for each BD-R (20 pack) w/free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

post #2182 of 2482 Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know - I ripped the Netflix version and when ToNMT gave me two options I was stumped at first and confused - I've been giving options in the past but usually I can 'see' which is which by playing the movie and seeing the options - there was no 'unrated' option on the Netflix one and the running times available were two: the one stated on the sleeve and a longer one. I decided to rip both since I knew the retail version was 'unrated' and wondered if the longer version would be 'that' one. I can see from your post it is (and it's the one we watched last night). So now I'll delete the 'other' one!

post #2183 of 2482 Old 07-31-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

I have a movie that is region B;

I need to remove the region B so I can play in on my standalone player. I have tried ripping it to hdd successfully removing the region and can now play it from the hdd on my computer.

However when I try to burn it back to disc with either Nero or imgburn on a Verbatium 50gb disc I get "could not perform start of Disc-at-once" error at the beginning and the blank become unusable.

I also tried disc to disc with the same result, I know the burner works because I have used 25gb discs in the past and they work just fine.

The Verbatim discs I purchased locally (only ones I could find at three different stores) are 6X speed. I did notice that both Nero and imgburn are trying to burn back at 2x speed which might be the problem.

Anyone know if higher speed discs are backwards compatible with slower burners?

It was the Verbatim discs, I switched to Sony discs and it work just fine.
post #2184 of 2482 Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM

I burned some home video on a BD-R 25GB Blu-ray disc. When I put it in my PS3 it plays fine, but it treats each individual file as a separate video. I have over 300 files I just want it to play back to back. Right now it will play a file, then pause at the end and I have to manually go back to the list of files and select the next one. I have Vegas Pro 9 but don't know how to use it very well and my computer isn't fast enough to keep up with HD editing. Is there a simple way I can edit the video in Nero before it burns?

Thanks for any help!
post #2185 of 2482 Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 PM

PS3 files have to be named numerically sequential to play in order without stopping. There is also a setting under video settings to enable this feature.

ex.

file1.avi
file2.avi
file3.avi
post #2186 of 2482 Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwsp View Post

PS3 files have to be named numerically sequential to play in order without stopping. There is also a setting under video settings to enable this feature.

ex.

file1.avi
file2.avi
file3.avi

The files were already named 0001,0002,0003,etc. So I enabled the setting you were talking about and it works.

Do you know if I can name the files anything I want, as long as it ends in a number?

Thank you!!
post #2187 of 2482 Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Is Clown BD faster than BD Rebuilder if you just rip the main movie?

Thanks
post #2188 of 2482 Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Clown BD is usually faster as it does not re-encode the file. BD Rebuilder will re-encode to make the file size smaller.

On my 4 GHz I7-930 (overclocked) it takes BD Rebuilder about 45 minutes to re-encode a 2 hour file to a smaller size running Win 7 64 bit.

Mike T
post #2189 of 2482 Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
RE: Pioneer BDR-205BKS (no RipLock)

Firmware 1.03 & 1.04 are good

V1.08 degrades DVD performance & does not allow reverting to a previous version.
http://club.myce.com/f142/firmware-o...7/#post2520242
http://club.myce.com/f142/post-new-d...s-here-223975/

Many BR burners have RipLock which cannot be worked around

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
post #2190 of 2482 Old 08-17-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

got the same problem using a Liteon ihbs112 burner. Tryed reading around and seems a common problem related to the firmware+the media used...
Right now liteon has pull out a new firmware for that unit!
better start upgrading and hope well
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page