My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiences... - Page 78 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2311 of 2482 Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, one other thing too... The free version of DVDFab HD also has a 'Movie Only' option that simply extracts just the movie if that is what you want and then you just burn it. REAL simple. I would suggest that... You don't get any of the menus but you do have the main film. I hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2482 Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatheOfHeaven View Post

Oh, one other thing too... The free version of DVDFab HD also has a 'Movie Only' option that simply extracts just the movie if that is what you want and then you just burn it. REAL simple. I would suggest that... You don't get any of the menus but you do have the main film. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice. I use the BD-R and movie only setting in BD-RB. I tried burning another copy today and set imgburn to burn at 1X. Same result. Anybody need a blue coaster?

I just checked for a firmware update for my BR burner (PLDS BD-RE DH-8B2SHATA) and there is no update, so I think I have the most recent driver.

I am going to wait until my other discs come to try again. I think I have it down to either being the media or the burner. I ordere Verbatim BD-R 4x discs (NOT LTH discs) and I ordered some Ridata discs. If those don't work, then I'll try the Ritek discs you suggested. If it's not the media, then I think it has to be the burner. I'll buy a new burner after trying new media. But, it seems to me the problem is not the burner because the computer can play the movies.

Thanks, I'll let you know if the new media resolve the issue.
post #2313 of 2482 Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
DarthEmma,

Any thoughts on buying a 25 or 50Gb BD-RE, just to ensure that the porject actually burns and maybe saving yourself from some more snazzy coasters?

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #2314 of 2482 Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

DarthEmma,

Any thoughts on buying a 25 or 50Gb BD-RE, just to ensure that the porject actually burns and maybe saving yourself from some more snazzy coasters?

Seggers

If I can't the discs I just ordered to work, then I'll try a BD-RE before replacing the burner. I know it's burning the discs because they play fine in my computer. They just don't work in either BR player.

The last time this happened to me, it was the media (it was a cheap Imation DVD+R that time).

What's odd is that other folks with the Oppo BDP-83 seem to find that Maxells work for them.

I'm also a tad suspicious that perhaps the Maxells I bought in the spindle (cake) container may not actually be the same as Maxells that come in the jewel cases.

In any case, I'll try the Ridata and the Verbatim discs I ordered next. I should have them by Saturday. If neither of those work, then I'll get a BD-RE to play with. Can you recommend a good brand for the BD-RE? Verbatim?

My only other thought is that I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Could that be the problem? I just bought this new computer with Win7 64 on it and it came with this BR burner. It's a PLDS BD-RE DH-8B2SHATA. I can't find drivers anywhere for this burner. Even the driver download section for my computer's service tag on Dells website doesn't list a driver for this model.
post #2315 of 2482 Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

You missed the deadline for lifetime subscription but I say get Slysoft ANYDVD HD - unless you're JUST looking for DVD. It handles every BD format and works flawlessly w/HD audio and no compression.

Actually so far every day this year the lifetime subscription has still be available to order from the Slysoft web site :-P They've said the lifetime subscriptions would end many times before... it's an ancient marketing ruse used to suck suckers into buying something they don't need!

AnyDVD HD is a great product for what it does - however it does not do what I said I was after in my post - it does not re-compress and re-build the entire disc like DVD Shrink does for DVD.

That is why DVD Fab seems better value - it does all of that for about $80, whereas AnyDVD does none of that and is about $140.

Does anyone know if DVD Fab re-compresses VC-1 - rather than converting VC-1 to AVC (MPEG-4 H264)?

Cheers,
Bourkie

2008: BD+ hacked... payback time for Warner, Fox and Disney!
post #2316 of 2482 Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourke View Post

Actually so far every day this year the lifetime subscription has still be available to order from the Slysoft web site :-P They've said the lifetime subscriptions would end many times before... it's an ancient marketing ruse used to suck suckers into buying something they don't need!

AnyDVD HD is a great product for what it does - however it does not do what I said I was after in my post - it does not re-compress and re-build the entire disc like DVD Shrink does for DVD.

That is why DVD Fab seems better value - it does all of that for about $80, whereas AnyDVD does none of that and is about $140.

Does anyone know if DVD Fab re-compresses VC-1 - rather than converting VC-1 to AVC (MPEG-4 H264)?

Cheers,
Bourkie

Why do you want to re-compress the BD? You can use ANYDVD HD along with imgBurn (which is free) to make an exact copy of the BD. Or use ANYDVD HD and ClownBD (which is free) which allows you to rip what you want (just the movie, select the audio streams, etc). I use AnyDVD HD and ToNMT to rip just the movie and HD audio. I use imgBurn to burn it to BD if I want. Has never failed (even on 3D BDs) where DVDFab will fail on 3D BDs (two coasters to prove it).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #2317 of 2482 Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Why do you want to re-compress the BD? You can use ANYDVD HD along with imgBurn (which is free) to make an exact copy of the BD. Or use ANYDVD HD and ClownBD (which is free) which allows you to rip what you want (just the movie, select the audio streams, etc). I use AnyDVD HD and ToNMT to rip just the movie and HD audio. I use imgBurn to burn it to BD if I want. Has never failed (even on 3D BDs) where DVDFab will fail on 3D BDs (two coasters to prove it).

I used anyDVDHD to rip the movie to the harddrive. Then I used BD-RB just to a movie only version. It actually said it didn't compress the video stream at all. And I did use imgburn to burn it.

I really think it has nothing to do with anyDVD, BD-RB, or imgburn. I think it's the media or the burner. I have been able to compress some movies to DVD5 (blu-ray format) and the discs play perfectly in both of my players.

The reason I used BD-rebuilder was because I'm using a BR-R 25GB disc, not a 50GB disc, so I couldn't be sure it would all fit on the disc. I know BD-rebuilder with take care of that.

I just started authoring blu-ray 2 days ago. I'm still learning. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll try an anyDVDHD rip of just the movie too.
post #2318 of 2482 Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why do you want to re-compress the BD? You can use ANYDVD HD along with imgBurn (which is free) to make an exact copy of the BD.

For >23GB discs I'm not paying for a BD50 blank - the BD25s are only a $2 each.

Quote:

Or use ANYDVD HD and ClownBD (which is free) which allows you to rip what you want (just the movie, select the audio streams, etc).

Does ClownBD re-compress VC-1 (i.e. does it have a VC-1 encoder), or does it only convert it to AVC (MPEG4 h264)?

Quote:

I use AnyDVD HD and ToNMT to rip just the movie and HD audio. I use imgBurn to burn it to BD if I want. Has never failed (even on 3D BDs) where DVDFab will fail on 3D BDs (two coasters to prove it).

Is this a known problem with 3D BDs? Seems like a simple fix if it's just a format structure issue - 3D BDs don't possess any extra copy protection.

I still fail to see why AnyDVD is worth $60 more than DVD Fab?

post #2319 of 2482 Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthemma View Post

I used anyDVDHD to rip the movie to the harddrive. Then I used BD-RB just to a movie only version. It actually said it didn't compress the video stream at all. And I did use imgburn to burn it.

I really think it has nothing to do with anyDVD, BD-RB, or imgburn. I think it's the media or the burner. I have been able to compress some movies to DVD5 (blu-ray format) and the discs play perfectly in both of my players.

The reason I used BD-rebuilder was because I'm using a BR-R 25GB disc, not a 50GB disc, so I couldn't be sure it would all fit on the disc. I know BD-rebuilder with take care of that.

I just started authoring blu-ray 2 days ago. I'm still learning. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll try an anyDVDHD rip of just the movie too.

I don't believe you have a blank disk or burning problem. I think the disk is not authored correctly. A simple test is to re-author the disk using TsmuxeR, a free program. Find it here-
http://www.smlabs.net/tsMuxer/tsMuxeR_1.10.6.zip
Just go to the stream folder of your movie, and add the main movie .m2ts file to tsmuxer, running the tsmuxer GUI , then select Blu-Ray as the output format and save it to a new folder. Then run the mux, it should not take long as it is not doing any re-encoding.

I then strongly suggest you get some BD-RE erasable disks to burn with using the latest ImgBurn program. You can also use tsmuxer to correct any audio sync problems that may arise, or remove any unwanted audio or subtitle track by un-checking the track before the re-mux.

Mike T
post #2320 of 2482 Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

For >23GB discs I'm not paying for a BD50 blank - the BD25s are only a $2 each.

50GB can be had for $7-8. True it's much more than $2 but it allows a full disc with no compression.

Quote:

Does ClownBD re-compress VC-1 (i.e. does it have a VC-1 encoder), or does it only convert it to AVC (MPEG4 h264)?

I am not sure since I've only done @15 movies but whatever format the BD is in - it's burned the same format.

Quote:

Is this a known problem with 3D BDs? Seems like a simple fix if it's just a format structure issue - 3D BDs don't possess any extra copy protection.

It was probably something I did considering I rarely use DVDFab. On a different forum website I posted and got this response: That's probably because you didn't tell it to make a disc copy in DVDFab, if you don't it just makes an ISO from the files it reads off the disc rather than a sector by sector ISO. Anyway if you have AnyDVD HD running you can just make an ISO using Imgburn then burn it back to DL disc after

Quote:

I still fail to see why AnyDVD is worth $60 more than DVD Fab?

Guess I paid for AnyDVDHD and not DVDFab so for me - I just use what I'm 'used to'.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #2321 of 2482 Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

I don't believe you have a blank disk or burning problem. I think the disk is not authored correctly. A simple test is to re-author the disk using TsmuxeR, a free program. Find it here-
Just go to the stream folder of your movie, and add the main movie .m2ts file to tsmuxer, running the tsmuxer GUI , then select Blu-Ray as the output format and save it to a new folder. Then run the mux, it should not take long as it is not doing any re-encoding.

I then strongly suggest you get some BD-RE erasable disks to burn with using the latest ImgBurn program. You can also use tsmuxer to correct any audio sync problems that may arise, or remove any unwanted audio or subtitle track by un-checking the track before the re-mux.

Mike T

Thanks for the suggestion. I've ordered a BD-RE disc and will have it in a day or two. I am trying your suggestion with tsMuxeR right now. I'm just trying to eliminate possible problems one by one.
post #2322 of 2482 Old 01-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am not sure since I've only done @15 movies but whatever format the BD is in - it's burned the same format.

So you definitetly confirmed that originals in VC-1 are re-compressed in VC-1 (or did you only ever do 1:1 copies)?

Does anyone else knof if DVD Fab. Blu-ray Copy does that as well, or does it transcode into AVC?

post #2323 of 2482 Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

Mike T

I thought I'd follow up with my case of the BD-R burning mystery. It has become even more mysterious.

I initially bought Maxell BD-R discs (which apparently are actually Ritek, according to Imgburn) and those did not play in either of my BR players (see my previous posts for details, if you wish).

So, I bought new discs. This time I got a Verbatim BD-RE to test my settings with. I burned the same files on the same settings to that disc and it plays perfectly. I had the burn speed set at max and when I checked the logs, Imgburn said it had burned the disc at 2X.

Convinced I had the settings right at this point, I then tried the Verbatim BD-R discs with the same settings. Unfortunately, that disc will not play in my blu-ray players. I had the burn speed set at MAX (AWS) in Imgburn.

I am at a loss to understand what is wrong. The only thing I can think to try is a new burner.
post #2324 of 2482 Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 PM

I thought I'd report back here to wrap up my saga.

I got my new LG drive today (WH10LS30). Burned a BD-R and it plays flawlessly in my BR players. So, it was the drive that came with my computer. The new drive works great.

I also hacked the firmware in the drive with MediaCodeSpeedEdit to remove the dang Riplock in the drive and was able to apply RPC2 Auto Reset.

I'm very happy. The drive was on sale for under $80 this week.

Thanks to those who gave me helpful advice. Much appreciated.
post #2325 of 2482 Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 AM

I recently bought a media converter for a mac (iMedia Converter) which allows me to rip a BD into any type of movie format of my choosing (literally).

I've chosen the path of directly copying the m2ts files off of the disc (while iMedia Converter strips out the disc protection).

Once I have the m2ts file(s), I take them into tsMuxer (Snow Leopard build by vox...).

Once in tsMuxer, I remove all of the streams I do not want (ac3, 720 video, etc). So I am only left with English DTS-MA and 1080p video. I select the file output to be blu-ray and click the mux button (or whatever it says as I am not on that system currently). It then creates the BDMV and Certificate folders and populates them accordingly.

At this point I go and burn a data blu-ray using apple's OS burn option. However, once burned the disc does not work.

The reason for my post is to see what I am doing wrong (besides trying to do this on a mac). Any input would be greatly appreciated as I've been trying to make this work for about 3 weeks now.

Is it a setting, am I burning the disc incorrectly? I would like to continue using this software, but am doing it blindly at this point. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

post #2326 of 2482 Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Data Blu-ray? There's your problem ...The Finder can *only* burn data discs, whether it's CD, DVD, or Blu-ray for that matter. But you want a "Blu-ray Video" disc (just like DVD-Video), and then your best option would be Toast. You'll need the $19.99 Blu-ray plugin though for the regular Toast Titanium (it's included in Toast Pro).
post #2327 of 2482 Old 01-21-2011, 01:13 PM

My concern is that Toast might possibly re-encode the m2ts files upon output. I have the HD plugin for the app. So should I just drag all of the files that tsMuxer created (BDMV and CERTIFICATE) into toast under the Blu-ray video option or simply the m2ts files ??

Will toast preserve the 5.1 channel audio??

I haven't had too much luck with Toast while testing.

Thanks for the advice.
If you can lend anymore help, please do so.

post #2328 of 2482 Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinokev View Post

Is it a setting, am I burning the disc incorrectly?

I suppose it's possible, but since there are a number of steps listed, it's hard to say. One thing you don't mention is, what are you trying to play the disc on? While most recent players can play Blu-ray writable discs, not all Blu-ray players will play Blu-ray writable media. There is a list in the link below that generally covers writable media playback from a number of Blu-ray players.

Assuming the Blu-ray player is capable of playing writable media, the disc file system has to be set correctly. By default I think Blu-ray writable discs should use either UDF 2.5 or UDF 2.6, but I believe some software may allow for other file systems. I don't use Mac, so I can't say if the software would be using the correct file system. I have used ImgBurn with Wine in Linux, and it's capable of burning data to either a UDF 2.5 or UDF 2.6 file system.
post #2329 of 2482 Old 02-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Guys and Gals,
I am sure this is in here but I am lazy watching the superbowl. I just need a simple editing program for all the NASCAR, FOOTBALL and whatever else programs I use my Hauppauge PVR for recording to my WD 1B Black HD?
All I want to do is edit the commercials nothing fancy. Mind you my HD DVR downloads in H.294. I use Arcsoft which was included with the Hauppauge HD PVR external box. So I believe I need to work with MP4.
Thanks,
Starman
post #2330 of 2482 Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought VideoReDo a few years ago for editing out commercials from over-the-air recordings. I think it only works with Mpeg-2 video. The main benefit is that it's quick and doesn't transcode, and I never had any out of sync audio using the program. Anyway, I believe they probably offer a trial.
post #2331 of 2482 Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

I bought VideoReDo...think it only works with Mpeg-2 video. I believe they probably offer a trial.

They now have a version that does h264, though I dunno if they offer a trial version of that or not.

If they do, it's important to know that to get a full working software for the two weeks of the trial, you need to register the trial with them first (free of course). Unless you do that, the output is limited maybe to a half-hour or even 15 minutes.
post #2332 of 2482 Old 02-07-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not familiar with the TVSuite products. VideoReDo Plus is what I used for editing ATSC recordings.
post #2333 of 2482 Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 AM

Whats the fastest software to convert blu-ray to mkv?

Sorry if i put this in the wrong section.
post #2334 of 2482 Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 AM

I have great luck with makemkv and tue automated version autoripncompress. Usually takes about 45 minutes. Depends on the movie transformers 2 took about an hour 15 minutes. Terminator 1 took about half hour. I'm running a dual core amd phenom 2.85. With 4 gb ram and an 8 speed blu-ray drive. I put my pc specs in because ad we all know that makes a huge difference in rip speeds.
post #2335 of 2482 Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 PM

agreed, makemkv is the best
post #2336 of 2482 Old 03-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Liked: 18
I have 10 short videos that I stripped from MKV with tsmuxer as m2ts and because they are AVC DTS my PS3 won't play them unless they are in AVCHD or blu-ray structure, is there any application that creates blu-ray structure for multiple m2ts files as playlist without having to re-encode or transcode the files like roxio or nero does? I just want to be able to skip within those files with next chapter button, no menus needed, One solution is I can join them with tsmuxer and set the chapter marker according to the files lengths and output as blu-ray but too much work, is there an option to just drop the files in stream folder and edit the file list so any bd player can recognize the tracks?
post #2337 of 2482 Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
is there any application that creates blu-ray structure for multiple m2ts files as playlist without having to re-encode or transcode the files like roxio or nero does?
You can try multiAVCHD http://www.videohelp.com/tools/multiAVCHD
post #2338 of 2482 Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post

You can try multiAVCHD http://www.videohelp.com/tools/multiAVCHD

Great software, I liked it and I donated after the first use, was just wondering how to change the display title on the BD icon, my PS3 displays multiavchd... on the disc icon ??
post #2339 of 2482 Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post

was just wondering how to change the display title on the BD icon, my PS3 displays multiavchd... on the disc icon ??

After you hit big Start button to compile your project, go to General output section (in the right half at the bottom) and replace multiAVCHD text in Compilation name text field with anything you want. This should do it.
post #2340 of 2482 Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 AM

Does multiavchd edit movies in 7.1 without transcoding, meaning removing unwanted scenes from the movie while keeping the original quality and original multichanel audio? I used both SolveigMM Video Splitter and Smart Cutter and they both suck.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page